Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

zedprime posted:

But if we're trying to distinguish from Quistis that's another shared trait.

Which reminds me of this comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

somebody post the quick way to break ff8 again so i can break it the old fashioned way instead of the new push-to-win way

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Quistis may not be the best blue mage in the series but she will always hold a place in my heart.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Quistis may not be the best blue mage in the series but she will always hold a place in my heart.

Who is the best blue mage in the series?

Str ago is the only one I ever found all that useful.

(Enemy Skill Materia isn't a character)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

somebody post the quick way to break ff8 again so i can break it the old fashioned way instead of the new push-to-win way

earliest thing I remember is that you can draw Curagas off of some early game enemy and then junction it to HP to have like 8000 HP within half an hour of starting the game, which renders you functionally invincible for the next 2 discs

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

NikkolasKing posted:

Who is the best blue mage in the series?

Str ago is the only one I ever found all that useful.

(Enemy Skill Materia isn't a character)

From a numbers perspective its gotta be Quinoa.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

You start with 5 Tents by default.
Draw Siren from the Dollet Tower boss.
Learn Life Mag-RF.
Refine 5 Tents into 50 Curagas.
Junction to HP.
Never die again.

You can also buy more Tents later to give everyone more HP than you'll ever need.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The best Blue Mage is Faris.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Squall: "So you've become the sorceress' lap dog?"
Seifer: "I prefer to be called her knight. This has always been my dream."

What cruel twist of fate! He only finally tells his long time rival about his dream when they stand on opposite sides of a war.

Seifer is legit my favorite thing about FFVIII. If we're talking good lines, I always loved this:

Seifer: This is the scene where you swear your undying hatred for me! The tale of the evil mercenary vs.the sorceress' knight... The fun's just started, Squall. Don't disappoint me now!

Everyone really is the hero of their own story.

The cool thing is, Seifer is modeling his behavior off of the movie Laguna is shooting when you control him. So he’s literally your hero, just with the wrong alignment.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The best Blue Mage is the Final Fantasy 14 Blue Mage, because he's also the warrior of light and the warrior of darkness and also the best and the coolest because he's literally me, and also literally you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gologle posted:

The best Blue Mage is the Final Fantasy 14 Blue Mage, because he's also the warrior of light and the warrior of darkness and also the best and the coolest because he's literally me, and also literally you.

My favorite thing about my WoL is that she's a bit of a doofus and means well and will never ever ever ever give up on anyone.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Well, a smile better suits a hero anyway.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Let's see, Final Fantasy characters who are defined as Blue Mages...

It's really just Strago, Quistis, Quina, and Kimahri. Lotta hard c's there. Of those four, I'd say it's probably a toss up between Strago and Quina? Quistis is probably the best from a character writing standpoint... but that's not saying much, honestly. I think NikkolasKing might be right on this one, they kinda all blow. Though at least Kimahri has the benefit of being a cool cat dad man.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Strago and Quina are the most useful - grand train and frog drop give you big numbers. Quistis and Kihmari are the most interesting from a writing perspective, but Kihmari is probably the most useless.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Strago and Quina are the most useful - grand train and frog drop give you big numbers. Quistis and Kihmari are the most interesting from a writing perspective, but Kihmari is probably the most useless.

is there a situation in which Kimahri is useful?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

morallyobjected posted:

is there a situation in which Kimahri is useful?

He can be, if you take him through a very particular route using special spheres. I don't remember the exact method but he basically becomes a walking nuke around midgame. Still falls off endgame though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gologle posted:

Well, a smile better suits a hero anyway.

drat it

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

He can be, if you take him through a very particular route using special spheres. I don't remember the exact method but he basically becomes a walking nuke around midgame. Still falls off endgame though.

yeah, but I imagine he still gets outclassed by Yuna with normal progression (or godYevon help him if you give Yuna some strength or send her down Lulu's path to learn black magic since her celestial weapon is like the easiest one to get)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Kimahri is the earliest permanent thief you can have, though it's not really THAT long after that Rikku joins and the most useful thing he can steal is the Lv. 3 Key Spheres in his solo fight anyway.
He can be stronger than Auron early on, or he can be a faster Lulu, or he can even take over main healing duty from Yuna so she can just do the summoning game; magic boosts his Blue Magic, he's got White Wind, and he even gets Dispel and Reflect before Yuna normally would.

A lot of Kimahri's normal grid positioning is basically allowing him to do things early before the defined paths overtake him. At least you can use him to unlock Holy and Ultima early.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The best Blue Mage is Gilgamesh.

But other than him, Strago. Far too many of Quina's spells suuuuuuuuuck.

Edit: Also Strago is best because all he has to do to learn skills is be alive and not blinded. Kimahri can learn skills easily but Kimahri sucks and can only use them as Soul Breaks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
FFV and FFVII has the best Blue Mages. They completely wreck the games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All FFs with character customization are fun and cool if you refuse to grind out levels. Beating FFV around level 20 is so fun, and it's why I'm excited to play FF8 with random encounters turned off.

I'm here to break some loving numbers with junctions and end the game at like level 9. I'm not even gonna gently caress with the curaga junction trick either, so it'll be like playing golden guns only.

Before then I'm trying to do some blue mage fuckery in FFV but it's hard to do it without just learning where to learn cool spells or looking up enemy's levels which feels like a cheat.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

jokes posted:

Before then I'm trying to do some blue mage fuckery in FFV but it's hard to do it without just learning where to learn cool spells or looking up enemy's levels which feels like a cheat.

Time to judiciously use Scan and Beastmaster's Control. Finally a use for Scan!!!! :pseudo:

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
VIII is actually easier at lower levels since enemies scale up with you, so you aren't really making it any harder on yourself. The hardest way to play would be to not use junctions at all and get Squall to level 100, but that's also boring because then you can't do anything other than attack and use items.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
there's no real reason not to play VIII like any other FF and just fight random battles when they happen. you can augment your stats well enough with the junction system to keep up and it keeps some modicum of challenge to it--like you alluded to, a level 1 run of VIII would actually be way easier than a level 100 run because it's possible to get the best weapons and best junctions with some tedium, but nothing's really dependent on levels other than what some GFs can learn, I think, or at least what they can do (Siren can't mod a dark matter until she gets to level 100, but I can't remember if there's anything else)

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

for one, her struggle between performing her duties as SeeD and expressing her personal feelings, which comes to a head during the assassination mission when she chews out Rinoa to make sure the mission goes smoothly but then falls victim to her guilt about it and compromises the mission. she's a dumb teen with a heart of gold who's trying to be an adult

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

StrixNebulosa posted:

My favorite thing about my WoL is that she's a bit of a doofus and means well and will never ever ever ever give up on anyone.

And they are convinced, Con-loving-vinced that Wild Rose is a skeleton key password.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 23, 2019

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

CeallaSo posted:

VIII is actually easier at lower levels since enemies scale up with you, so you aren't really making it any harder on yourself. The hardest way to play would be to not use junctions at all and get Squall to level 100, but that's also boring because then you can't do anything other than attack and use items.

Actually its just Attack. You need GFs to equip Item. It's dumb as hell.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Actually its just Attack. You need GFs to equip Item. It's dumb as hell.
I'm gunna blame that on GF memory fog, because the alternative paints a world with an industry producing magical healing potions that most folks will just kind of hold, cry, panic, then smash in the air and hope for the best when injured.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CeallaSo posted:

Magic draw lists are level dependent and the good stuff is locked behind high level enemies.

Which only really matters in a no refine run. And you still have an out using the magic (items? Battle action? I forget) that levels enemies up manually.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

You start with 5 Tents by default.
Draw Siren from the Dollet Tower boss.
Learn Life Mag-RF.
Refine 5 Tents into 50 Curagas.
Junction to HP.
Never die again.

You can also buy more Tents later to give everyone more HP than you'll ever need.

Yeah this but I took it a little further and saved my gil to buy enough tents to max out everyone's hp.

You can also grind AP by turning the flying fish enemies into cards at the beach near the garden. Powering up your GFs really helps. Just make sure to manually choose which abilities get unlocked next because the default order is like the worst possible.

Also use the lamp as soon as you get it. Blind Diablos so he can't kill you then beat him for a free extra GF in the early game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Onmi posted:

And they are convinced, Con-loving-vinced that Wild Rose is a skeleton key password.

:allears:

I've never been so invested in a mostly-silent protagonist before, ngl.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The one time I played through FFX to the credits my Kimahri had made both Wakka and Auron irrelevant, because he had the former's accuracy, and a weapon to break through armor, and both of their attack damage so he'd hit the damage cap every time, but also I never did and never will bother with all the dumb sidequest garbage in that game so I'm sure it was only worthwhile playing specifically just the main game. Especially considering my whimsical throwing of anybody anywhere on the grid with teleport spheres also involved loving Tidus out of having hastega until I specifically grinded for it at the final boss.

Still don't think I ever really cared about his Blue Magic though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lancet should be the default way to learn blue magic.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Electric Phantasm posted:

Lancet should be the default way to learn blue magic.

100% agreed. Using either confuse / control to get enemies to use their curative blue magic on you is quite annoying!

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 23, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

StrixNebulosa posted:

:allears:

I've never been so invested in a mostly-silent protagonist before, ngl.

When we had the Senor Sabotender event just recently one of the dialog options, upon a Lalafel talking about their desire to play the mascot was "Senor Sabotender isn't a real Sabotender?" And the look of despair and sadness upon the Warrior of Light's face is amazing. Like learning Santa wasn't real.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

It's hard to put into words how loving thrilled I was that we got to say (ShB) "The artist Alphinaud and his assistants!"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Quistis is the first character in all of Final Fantasy to be able to break the 9999 damage cap, so that makes her the best blue mage.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Who is the most powerful FF character going by damage numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
probably sazh spamming COM-buffered blitz idk