Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

EPICAC posted:

Also, a few visits ago saw someone eating a pile of onions and relish covered in ketchup off of a drink lid.

DIY condiment 'banchan' is a thing in South Korean Costcos.

https://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-korea-onion-salad-20170919-story.html%3f_amp=true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Ya the trident family sold the gum business to Mondelez about a decade ago.

Most people don't know but John Trident got his money from the missile he invented and sold to the US during the cold war, then used it to buy fishing boats. He had invented the gum to seal holes in the missiles and boats, and sold the missile patent for big bucks but kept the gum one.

Ask your friend about it.

Wait... is this true? Lol

I also avoid the bakery section I’ve made some horrible choices in my life because of that area.

Why yes I can eat a whole apple pie by myself before it goes off.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

MarcusSA posted:

I also avoid the bakery section I’ve made some horrible choices in my life because of that area.

I look every couple trips but I just never touch

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hoshi posted:

I look every couple trips but I just never touch

You know that’s like one of the worst things about Costco 95% of the time if you pick something up you’ll end up buying that poo poo.

“Oh look a 5lb cheese platter! Lets see what kinds of cheese is in it” goes in cart

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MarcusSA posted:

i buy the box of croissants every so often bc they're very versatile and can make a lot of breakfast or lunch sandwiches, and plus croissants are loving hard as hell to make at home, but yeah it's just too much bakery food for the 2 of us. i used to like their muffins a lot but a 12-pack of 700 caloric bombs a pop (which are easy to eat) is just no bueno. can never finish the packs of bagels before they go bad either and its like, too much bagel. if i could just buy a 1-pack it'd be a different story

i feel like they're bakery stuff only works if you have a family of 4 or work in a big office where you just bring poo poo in and leave it at hte break room. my office is too small for that and i hate just throwing out food on some intrinsic level that pains the soul

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I buy the croissants and tell myself I'm going to freeze half of them, but then I just end up eating 3 in a day and suddenly they've all vanished and none of them ever make it to my freezer.

And I barely feel guilty about it. Goddamn are the croissants good.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Not exactly a 'bakery' item, but we bought an 8-pack of creme brûlée once; they're all in individual pots and keep for a while in the fridge, so it's not like 'oh lord oh lord, I have to eat a third of this tonight before it goes bad!'

They were pretty good, plus they come in individual glass dishes, which I now use to put sauces in, or garnishes for taco night.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

LadyPictureShow posted:

Not exactly a 'bakery' item, but we bought an 8-pack of creme brûlée once; they're all in individual pots and keep for a while in the fridge, so it's not like 'oh lord oh lord, I have to eat a third of this tonight before it goes bad!'

They were pretty good, plus they come in individual glass dishes, which I now use to put sauces in, or garnishes for taco night.

i did similar but i got the 8-pack of the limoncello desserts in glass containers. i dunno if it's the same maker, i think they are, but honestly, they weren't good at all. i should try the creme brulee next time.

at least now i have 8 small glass dishes! PBUC

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Xaris posted:

i did similar but i got the 8-pack of the limoncello desserts in glass containers. i dunno if it's the same maker, i think they are, but honestly, they weren't good at all. i should try the creme brulee next time.

at least now i have 8 small glass dishes! PBUC

I did the same with little tiramisus! They were pretty good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
are they actually? maybe i'll give em a shot. i do love tiramisu. costco's bakery tiramisu is kinda ehhh, not the worst i've had, but also not great either.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

LOL, I love that there's (at least) three of us excited that we now have eight little glass dishes.

PBUC

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

My church only had Diet Pepsi today, no regular. I don't buy soda often enough to know if that's normal or what.

On the other hand we got the street taco kit and it was really tasty. Praise be.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

What is up with the angles here? Everything in the room is designed to center on the corner TV console but it's empty and then the TV is just stuck off to the side. That's real weird.

Also please make your wall hangings symmetric, cmon man. I'm getting majorly triggered over here.

e: wait is that just a loving random-rear end picture frame above the right side of the TV for no reason? Did you just throw darts at the wall and put TVs and picture frames wherever the darts landed

Taima fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 23, 2019

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

LadyPictureShow posted:

LOL, I love that there's (at least) three of us excited that we now have eight little glass dishes.

PBUC

Add me to the list, I've had both the tiramisu and the chocolate mousse ones and they're all heckin good

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

hope and vaseline posted:

Add me to the list, I've had both the tiramisu and the chocolate mousse ones and they're all heckin good

Caveat: they’re pretty good, but I probably wouldn’t buy again unless in the market for more tiny glasses. A bit expensive otherwise.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

We bought the caramel creme brulee things (or maybe it was flans?) because we wanted some tiny glass cups from them. I didn't realize other dessert items also had little glass dishes. We'll have to get them sometime.

Collect the whole Costco tiny glass collection.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I love my hosed-up, tiny ramekin.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Taima posted:

What is up with the angles here? Everything in the room is designed to center on the corner TV console but it's empty and then the TV is just stuck off to the side. That's real weird.

Also please make your wall hangings symmetric, cmon man. I'm getting majorly triggered over here.

e: wait is that just a loving random-rear end picture frame above the right side of the TV for no reason? Did you just throw darts at the wall and put TVs and picture frames wherever the darts landed

Basement was designed by the prior homeowner sometime in the late 90s/early 2000s, so it WAS designed for the corner unit, which is no longer used. I intend to replace that at some point with something, but am too lazy and/or have other priorities.

The picture is shot with the panoramic so things are a bit funky with perspective, but there are symmetrical frames around the TV.

The room works when you're in it, c'mon over for a beer and you'll appreciate it. Not the best angle for the overall feel.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

LadyPictureShow posted:

I did the same thing!

I now use the glass creme brulee ramekins to... make my own creme brluee.

I wouldn't recommend actually buying them if you don't have a torch though. Originally I didn't own a torch and it's just not as good if you try to do it in the broiler.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Renegret posted:

I did the same thing!

I wouldn't recommend actually buying them if you don't have a torch though. Originally I didn't own a torch and it's just not as good if you try to do it in the broiler.

Yeah, the broiler method works okay, but some spots of the custard end up a little warm. You can pop it in the fridge for a bit to cool it back down, but you might end up like me, forget about them for too long, and then end up with flan because the brûlée melted. But hey, flan is still pretty great!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Costco no longer sells ribeye caps. Company wide decision.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Renegret posted:

I did the same thing!

Note that you don’t need the fancy food torch. I’ve got a hand held propane torch I use for household poo poo (the kind you solder planning with) and it works just fine.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
hairspray can + lighter = perfect creme brulee torch if you don't mind your dessert covered in aquanet. and it's hard to control so it's going to be hard to get an even crust and will most likely burn. if you don't care about that stuff though, it's perfect.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note that you don’t need the fancy food torch. I’ve got a hand held propane torch I use for household poo poo (the kind you solder planning with) and it works just fine.

I didn't own anything until recently, sadly. I would've used a regular propane torch if I had it.

Then my wife got me a fancy kitchen one for my birthday. Her favorite dessert in the world is creme brulee so I'm sure there was an ulterior motive there, but it's something I always wanted to try to make from scratch anyway. It was surprisingly easy to make and overall I really enjoyed the experience.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

TraderStav posted:

Basement was designed by the prior homeowner sometime in the late 90s/early 2000s, so it WAS designed for the corner unit, which is no longer used. I intend to replace that at some point with something, but am too lazy and/or have other priorities.

The picture is shot with the panoramic so things are a bit funky with perspective, but there are symmetrical frames around the TV.

The room works when you're in it, c'mon over for a beer and you'll appreciate it. Not the best angle for the overall feel.

I'm just playing man sorry. Just riffin'. You have a sweeet house.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Taima posted:

I'm just playing man sorry. Just riffin'. You have a sweeet house.

Offer still stands for a beer, if you're ever in the greater Detroit / Ann Arbor area.

We can even go to our local Costco!

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
A LAN subforum for Costco goon meets

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Renegret posted:

I didn't own anything until recently, sadly. I would've used a regular propane torch if I had it.

Then my wife got me a fancy kitchen one for my birthday. Her favorite dessert in the world is creme brulee so I'm sure there was an ulterior motive there, but it's something I always wanted to try to make from scratch anyway. It was surprisingly easy to make and overall I really enjoyed the experience.

Now get an immersion circulator so you can make Sous Vide Creme Brulee and have the best you can have.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Stopped by church today to grab some cat food to try out. Our dog loves their dog food, so hopefully this goes well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Stopped by church today to grab some cat food to try out. Our dog loves their dog food, so hopefully this goes well.

Sample carts branching out I see

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

TraderStav posted:

Offer still stands for a beer, if you're ever in the greater Detroit / Ann Arbor area.

We can even go to our local Costco!

Which Costco do you go to? I'm a Commerce person myself.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

I bought the "deli cat", and will probably buy the purple bag of "maintenance cat" in the future. But the special orange bag with the sweet potato has caught my attention. :discourse:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I always smile when I pass by maintenance cat because it sounds like an old image macro.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Enos Cabell posted:

Last time we used Costco dog food our puppy ended up making GBS threads blood. Turns out he's got some serious digestive issues, the food was not at fault

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

bamhand posted:

Costco no longer sells ribeye caps. Company wide decision.

How can this be true? Why?

We all need to start filling out comment cards stat.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Gravitee posted:

Which Costco do you go to? I'm a Commerce person myself.

I’m in South Lyon, so my home Costco is the Green Oak / Brighton one. I will hit the Livonia or Haggerty one on the way home from work (Detroit) from time to time. The Haggerty one is bonkers and hate stepping foot in there.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TraderStav posted:

I’m in South Lyon, so my home Costco is the Green Oak / Brighton one. I will hit the Livonia or Haggerty one on the way home from work (Detroit) from time to time. The Haggerty one is bonkers and hate stepping foot in there.

drat, you got me excited for an Ann Arbor Costco meetup for a second there too.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Periodic reminder about the spanish torta buns: they're real loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

TraderStav posted:

Yes it's bonkers and it doesn't have any liquor. Two strikes!