Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play LEGO Games: A Journey Inside A Broken Man

LEGO Star Wars started something big. It sold so unfathomably, disgustingly well that it spawned a game franchise which now features -as of this writing- 51 total unique games. From a marketing standpoint, it's easy to see how it all went down. LEGOs are cute, the third Star Wars film in the prequel trilogy was coming to theaters, and people wanted to see their favorite Star Wars moments parodied in cute LEGO format. Then, of course, people naturally wanted to see other series' and films parodied by LEGO games.

And so, 50 games later, here we are: Regular Triple A budget releases of LEGO-brand videogames featuring licenses ranging from Scooby Doo to Spider-Man to Pirates of The Caribbean. It's a masterpiece of capitalism in action.

About The Games

The LEGO games have many things in common. There's usually hitting, jumping, and building objects. And there's always collectibles. Always. The exact ratio of these elements depends immensely on the game you're playing. LEGO Batman will feature far more baddie beating, and LEGO Pirates will feature far more exploring, while LEGO Star Wars is a traditional 3D platformer. As the games went on, they became more polished and cinematic, but rarely ever sacrificed their own identity.

How will you play the games?

Post-commentary, and generally I'll try to be informative. Sometimes I may bring a friend along, and many times I won't. There are a lot of games to play, so there's some room to switch things up every now and then. The most important thing is to show everyone how fun and creative these games can be. Even the less polished ones.

I'll show off any interesting bonus stages you can unlock via collectibles, but I will not be exhaustively recording Free Play footage. I'll be doing Free Play largely off-screen, but I may include some footage from it to showcase specific gimmicks.

What games will you be playing?

I'm glad you asked! Here's a list of the games I plan to tackle, in no particular order:

LEGO Batman 2
LEGO Batman: Beyond Gotham (Portable Release)
LEGO Marvel's Avengers
LEGO Marvel's Avengers (Portable Release)
LEGO Pirates of The Caribbean
LEGO Star Wars III
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
LEGO The Movie Videogame
LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
LEGO Dimensions (Main Story and Sonic Dimensions)
LEGO Ninjago The Movie Game
LEGO The Incredibles
LEGO The Movie 2 Videogame

Anyone is free to contribute their own LEGO LP to the thread.

Current LP?

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean

Which games have you already completed? Links, please.

LEGO Batman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play “LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean”

LEGO Pirates is a game about exploring a set of linear levels themed after the famous Pirates of the Caribbean film franchise. Being a standard LEGO game, it is largely a 3D puzzle-platformer with some minor beat 'em up combat. But, like most LEGO games, it also has a few features and themes to distinguish itself.

The distinct feeling that LEGO Pirates brings to the table is, predictably, treasure hunting. You can find loads of goofy, useless treasure using Jack's compass, dig up junk, wear weird golden hats from ancient civilizations, and plunder famous film locations for valuables. The mechanics involving treasure hunting and exploring aren't deep, but they're more than enough to make the game stand apart from its contemporaries in level design and theme.

Where has the normal sound gone during the cutscenes?

The game ordinarily uses licensed music from the films in the cutscenes, so, I replaced it. There's really no getting around that. Disney would not be happy if I left the entire score of Pirates of the Caribbean in my videos just because I wanted to show you the unedited cutscenes, and I don't have the clout or connections to be sponsored by them.

100% run?

I'll be collecting all the Minikits, Gold Bricks, and unlocking the Bonus Level. That being said, all the Free Play content will be done off-screen. I'm not going back to meticulously show you the location of every collectible in the game. I will, however, show you around the hub world and record the bonus level. After all, that bonus level is the big reward for finishing everything.

Videos

Gather Support

Moonlight Reveals All

No Moss

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

Unconscious Heart

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 12, 2019

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'm honestly a little surprised this game even exists that movie series was PG-13 and was pretty intense, bordering on horrifying in some spots like the magically cursed, fully sapient and unsurprisingly rather pissed off zombies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UI6yKa3q4g

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 18, 2019

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

No lego island? :colbert:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Will you be doing the new LEGO Star Wars coming out early next year (I assume you won't be done with this thread by then)? Maybe you could do it at the same time as Complete Saga/Force Awakens and show off differences.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I'm honestly a little surprised this game even exists that movie series was PG-13 and was pretty intense, bordering on horrifying in some spots like the magically cursed, fully sapient and unsurprisingly rather pissed off zombies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UI6yKa3q4g

there's also that scene where Davy Jones shoves his tentacles into a man's skull and kills him

Aishlinn posted:

No lego island? :colbert:

i do not like LEGO Island, i find it sub-par

except lego island 3, which i love a lot

whitehelm posted:

Will you be doing the new LEGO Star Wars coming out early next year (I assume you won't be done with this thread by then)? Maybe you could do it at the same time as Complete Saga/Force Awakens and show off differences.

that depends on how i feel about it after playing

the longer games tend to drag a bit in terms of design, so that has me worried, but i don't want to be pessimistic

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Moonlight Reveals All

Get hosed, Borbonzo.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

The lego island thing was mostly a joke, i know the first few games are pretty terrible, but what do you want from 90's pc games?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Aishlinn posted:

The lego island thing was mostly a joke, i know the first few games are pretty terrible, but what do you want from 90's pc games?

i've recently played the second one on both PC and PS1, and i can say they at least tried to make something nice? it's an okay minigame adventure collection

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
If there was a way to split you and your sisters into your own bodies, would any of you ever consider it?

Also it's important to understand that Hollywood has trouble with mental conditions in general, hell my condition (Autism in case you were wondering) is typically used as the basis for humanoid robots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZGRdxP_8Js

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

If there was a way to split you and your sisters into your own bodies, would any of you ever consider it?

Also it's important to understand that Hollywood has trouble with mental conditions in general, hell my condition (Autism in case you were wondering) is typically used as the basis for humanoid robots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZGRdxP_8Js

yeah, most of us would prefer our own bodies, but i have no clue how that would ever work out

i know many people with autism, and there seems to be more misconceptions about it than any other mental illness, so i'm sorry if you have to deal with that regularly

you always find interesting things to watch though

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

i know many people with autism, and there seems to be more misconceptions about it than any other mental illness, so i'm sorry if you have to deal with that regularly

I've long come to terms with this as while I don't like to advertise it if I don't need to, I've also never tried to suppress it as I'm not ashamed of my condition.

quote:

you always find interesting things to watch though

Thanks, I have a fondness for stuff like mythology and history, which Overly Sarcastic Productions rather nicely covers, as well as the obscure, the lost and the weird; especially in the realms of gaming and animation which is where channels like Nitro Rad and the Isle of Rangoon come in.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Going to be gone for the next couple weeks for a convention, but things will continue as normal after.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

No Moss

Alright, everyone get back on the LEGO train

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

Get your cards in order

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Okay, Jack and his crew not knowing how to jump onto box and plank bridges was funny. Also why the hell does Jack hate the monkey so much?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Okay, Jack and his crew not knowing how to jump onto box and plank bridges was funny. Also why the hell does Jack hate the monkey so much?

I assume it's an exaggeration of his distaste for the monkey in the film. It's named "Jack", and it was named that to mock him. It's also undead, so it getting shot wouldn't do anything.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I assume it's an exaggeration of his distaste for the monkey in the film. It's named "Jack", and it was named that to mock him. It's also undead, so it getting shot wouldn't do anything.

I can understand not liking the monkey if it was named to mock him but weren't the undead pirates no longer undead after the first movie?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I can understand not liking the monkey if it was named to mock him but weren't the undead pirates no longer undead after the first movie?

I'm not going to lie: I can't remember why the monkey was still undead, but given Pirates' meticulous attention to detail, I know there's a canon reason somewhere.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Because the last thing of the first movie was the monkey taking one of the coins and becoming undead again.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh I was expecting this to get into the old weird poo poo like Lego island or Rock raiders

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rody One Half posted:

Oh I was expecting this to get into the old weird poo poo like Lego island or Rock raiders

"Old and weird" is a good way to describe those. They're not awful games, but they're not really part of the formula I'm attached to.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

grandalt posted:

Because the last thing of the first movie was the monkey taking one of the coins and becoming undead again.

Ah okay, that makes sense. I've only watched the first movie and partially of the second, mostly Davy Jones' backstory, so forgive me for any stupid question I might ask as I'm basically going in mostly Blind Pew.

I know there are magic sapient zombies, aquatic hybrid abominations, mermaids, a sea goddess and the Kraken; basically all the weird supernatural poo poo in these movies.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Chimera-gui posted:

Ah okay, that makes sense. I've only watched the first movie and partially of the second, mostly Davy Jones' backstory, so forgive me for any stupid question I might ask as I'm basically going in mostly Blind Pew.

It was a post-credits scene, so it was easy to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Unconscious Heart

It's been a long day.