Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there’s some statistic that once you get to something like a BMI of 32 or more, getting back down to “normal” is extremely difficult. that’s the stats anyway, not a prescription of what will happen

food these days is simply too delicious to
rely on our on inbuilt senses of moderation, we have to consciously and relentlessly focus on eating the right food, if you were raised to always finish your meals and not waste food and enjoy the good things

i’ve taught my kids to stop eating then they are full, to pay attention to how too much food makes them feel. when I serve up dessert or etc it’s very small portions. i’m giving them a far more vegetarian diet too, legumes are big in their life for the fibre factor. probably worse sin is tendency for me to salt the gently caress out of food to make it taste so good, making food that’s too delicious to stop eating when you’re full. make food less delicious and you will eat less.. easy lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve been “struggling” with my weight but also trying to shame myself less as it contributes to anxiety. there is definitely a feedback loop where the deliciousness of a food overrides any sense of “fullness” I might have and I don’t notice I’ve overeaten until it’s done. best I can manage is portion control (hard) and healthy selections (less hard)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my mum tries to feed me like i’m a 19yo rugby player why why mum please when I come over for dinner please remember i’m trying to lose weight every day, and i certainly don’t need two cups of mashed potato on top of everything else too lol.

people can’t escape habits. she was raised with potato in every meal coz calories were scarce. now that they aren’t, we need to get those things off our plates, not just have a moderated amount of them. i literally never ever need a part of a meal that fills me up. protein and greens, is all I ever need to plan for, because I know my poor poor self control will lead me to a bad decision that I need to proactively compensate for lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve been “struggling” with my weight but also trying to shame myself less as it contributes to anxiety. there is definitely a feedback loop where the deliciousness of a food overrides any sense of “fullness” I might have and I don’t notice I’ve overeaten until it’s done. best I can manage is portion control (hard) and healthy selections (less hard)

best book I’ve ever read on dieting is “the hungry brain” by stefan someone. really goes to show it’s not about carbs or protein but deliciousness and satiety

🤷‍♂️

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

👀 that sounds like a good read

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I've always been a bigger dude but all my health indicators are great, like very low resting heart rate, great peak flow, slightly above ideal blood pressure, healthy LDL/HDL

even when I am super lean (not often lol, but when I was 18-25 and taking acid/drinking and dancing to drum and bass 4 nights a week, or when I was in good shape when I lived in australia) my BMI is still over obese.

I hear what you're saying echi - finding the balance betweena disciplined and mindful approach to weight/health management and evidence based care which says that a large proportiion of the population are fat as gently caress, want to lose weight, and are simply unable to for whatever reason is challenging. I think that whatever the approach, removing moral/value judgement from the model is key. peeps are peeps

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

also I think there is a strong liberalist, objectivist, individualist instinct ingrained in modern capitalism that is continually loving with our ability to make decisions at a macro level.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Schadenboner posted:

Suspenders are ok (as long as you're using buttons not clips, obvs.).

the company that makes the insanely strong bed sheet clips I use to keep a fitted sheet on a pillow top mattress make suspenders too, their orders come with a photo of the owner shaking hands with larry king lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

oh i want to add a fitted bite guard from a dentist is super great if you grind your teeth at night or clench your jaw while sleeping

i tried to cheap it when i was younger and those things are uncomfortable and i chewed through one (!!!), its worth paying for a good one for both fit and durability and you feel a bit like youre about to go in the ring with apollo creed before going to sleep

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

I started following a local doctor on instagram who practices it, and i’m a real sucker for evidence and progressive attitudes toward health so I couldn’t help but accept its place.. but I do struggle, because when I have raised the issues that for myself as a diabetic, excess weight is very bad
for me and makes me very insulin resistant, and losing weight and keeping slim has to be an almost daily obsession for me, especially given how I have to inject the strongest anabolic hormone we know in relatively
huge quantity every day 🥺

you're a diabetic and you drink like a fish?

jesus wept

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah but he does Labor so he'll be ok

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
32 and I have... one hosed shoulder, one bone in one leg that has a spike or something and I gotta remove it and my hand is starting to hurt (carpal ?) gently caress getting old, at least in some years I can load up on roids to catch some of my youth back :v:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

ZZZorcerer posted:

32 and I have... one hosed shoulder, one bone in one leg that has a spike or something and I gotta remove it and my hand is starting to hurt (carpal ?) gently caress getting old, at least in some years I can load up on roids to catch some of my youth back :v:

This reminds me of me.

Some of us seem to be doomed to fall apart faster.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm 38 and I have a broken brain, does that count?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I tore my MCL a while back it hurt

I dont' feel weather in my bones yet tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

I'm 38 and I have a broken brain, does that count?

mate
are we the same person

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

my teeth are brown and my fillings are falling out

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

my sinuses react to weather pressure shifts so a big storm'll give me a migraine sometimes, but thats gone on for most my life so i dont think it counts. knees'll bother me if i squat for more than a few seconds and used to bother me in the cold but that is partly due to a car accident when i was in my 20s

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if you have to use a cane at some point get a good grip, i had a foot issue treated and bought a cheap one and lol it was awful

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i can’t play my saxophone for over an hour without my head feeling weird but I think that’s just the vibrations loving with me so I have cushion pads for my mouthpiece on the way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

i broke some poo poo in my 20s and now it throbs every time the weather is about to change

it's no joke

and it hurts real bad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i broke some poo poo in my 20s and now it throbs every time the weather is about to change

it's no joke

and it hurts real bad

Yeah i cut the tip of my finger off slicing tomatoes back at the cafe in '99 and glued it back on with neosporin. It's fine and still has feeling, but it definitely gets sore when the pressure drops

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
Not quoting Stymie railing Echi but. . .

I also am a diabetic and drink like a fish. . .

But thanks to other states being legal, there is a flush of regulated edible products in my area, which has meant a wee bit of chocolate (~2.8 unit bolus) makes it where I might crack a beer and take 3-5 hours to drink it. . . along with weirdly cutting down on my cigarettes.

Come on bumfuck state where I live, make it legal already.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's no joke

and it hurts real bad

hell same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

enotnert posted:

Not quoting Stymie railing Echi but. . .

I also am a diabetic and drink like a fish. . .

But thanks to other states being legal, there is a flush of regulated edible products in my area, which has meant a wee bit of chocolate (~2.8 unit bolus) makes it where I might crack a beer and take 3-5 hours to drink it. . . along with weirdly cutting down on my cigarettes.

Come on bumfuck state where I live, make it legal already.

were gonna vote on it next year and god everyone i talk to us like “but if we legalise it people will use it”, and i’m like but they already do and the gangs profit and they’re like 🤷‍♂️

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I'm going to assume 🤷‍♂️ means they propositioned you

TimWinter fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 25, 2019

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

“but if we legalise it people will use it”,

isnt that the point

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TimWinter posted:

I'm going to assume 🤷‍♂️ means they propositioned you

nah more like they're just shrugging, meaning they just don't really care about the arguments, they're just gonna believe what they believe

fart simpson posted:

isnt that the point

yeah, they believe it's a net bad for society, so think keeping it illegal will be a net benefit

cracks me up the amount of people who ask my opinion on the matter. like why would my opinion matter? oh yeah that's right because unlike the person asking for the opinion, I'm actually qualified to have real meaningful and nuanced opinions. but honestly they don't give a poo poo about what I think, I think they assume I'll be against it (against legalisation that is), and just tell me they don't want people coming to work stoned. I make some comment about how a) they can do it already b) do people tend to come to work drunk and c) if they came to work either stoned or drunk, they'd certainly lose their job on the spot.. but still, their point stands they think :rolleyes:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

echinopsis posted:

nah more like they're just shrugging, meaning they just don't really care about the arguments, they're just gonna believe what they believe

yeah, they believe it's a net bad for society, so think keeping it illegal will be a net benefit

cracks me up the amount of people who ask my opinion on the matter. like why would my opinion matter? oh yeah that's right because unlike the person asking for the opinion, I'm actually qualified to have real meaningful and nuanced opinions. but honestly they don't give a poo poo about what I think, I think they assume I'll be against it (against legalisation that is), and just tell me they don't want people coming to work stoned. I make some comment about how a) they can do it already b) do people tend to come to work drunk and c) if they came to work either stoned or drunk, they'd certainly lose their job on the spot.. but still, their point stands they think :rolleyes:

I went to work stoned for like 15 years straight. It only works when you're high 24/7 though so no one knows what you're like sober.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I was irrationally pleased to see the Nextdoor app supports iPad now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

t-shirts old enough to buy liquor

that I bought when I was old enough to buy liquor

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i assume egyptian cotton - Old Kingdom or New?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I said something about “when I was an intern in the early 90s” and an intern said “Wow, I wasn’t born yet!”

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

DiggityDoink posted:

I went to work stoned for like 15 years straight. It only works when you're high 24/7 though so no one knows what you're like sober.

you don’t got to be high every time but just ... doing those things while intoxicated on whatever enough times to be able to function well. it always threw me when people said they couldn’t read or do math or whatever when intoxicated when it’s just a matter of actually doing those things (I know enough academics who love to talk shop when a bit out of it). of course dependency sucks, and don’t if you can come to harm other people in the process. in any case loads of people are medicated on a variety of ... altering meds for legit reasons so shits pretty common if not openly talked about

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 25, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I suspect jobs that require a lot of plate spinning and multitasking are probably poorly executed while high whereas if you can mostly focus on a single task you may even get a benefit 🤷‍♂️

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I always assumed that esports competitions were silly with adderall and uppers, but so far no one in the communities I follow have admitted to anything except for redbull.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

nobody’s going to admit to anything because nobody wants to piss in a cup

when my wife did roller derby there were people who wanted USA Roller Sports to take over for Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (or even said ridiculous things like “Congress put USA Roller Sports officially in charge of all roller sports in the US, that includes roller derby”) because that was the path to getting roller derby in the olympics, since USARS was the official roller sports affiliate of the American affiliate of the International Olympic Committee

the way skaters, officials, and fans pushed back on that was to say “do you want to have to use your real name and piss in a cup? that’s what’ll happen with USARS because that’s what’s required to be an Olympic sport”

(skaters use derby names not just to be cheeky but because men are awful)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

this is the thread for rambling like an old right

especially for those of us who are actually an old

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

yeah a few months back I went to a synthwave night with a couple buds and despite being the oldest there probably by about double the music was chill and the venue was 8pm-11pm. There is a followup night tonight but it starts at 11pm and goes on to 3am in an actual nightclub, I have to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

many of the albums I still listen to are older now than Sgt Pepper was when they were new