Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mokinokaro posted:

I'd argue it's the best of the 90s Disney renaissance films, at least for the target market.

They had such a solid series of movies but Lion King (and Aladdin) are the two that keep kids entertained from start to finish.

Beauty and the Beast is of course great still but it does have a lot that goes over kids heads and bores them in the middle. It just feels a bit more targeted towards young teens and up than the others.

Although once you grow up Beauty and the Beast is secretly the best one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin are hands down the best, but Scar has the best bad guy song of the three.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lion King is some divine right of kings bullshit, overthrow the corrupt feline monarchy

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Of course Lion King is the best. It's the most anime of them all.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Beauty and the Beast is boring as hell though

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin are hands down the best, but Scar has the best bad guy song of the three.

Be Prepared might well be one of the best Disney songs, period. It's really a match-up between it and Poor Unfortunate Souls (because let's be honest, the villain songs are always the most fun), and I think the winner comes down to if the person in your main friend group most likely to belt out a Disney song at karaoke is a man or a woman.

The worst part of the Lion King remake is that they basically excised Be Prepared. Don't look it up, it'll just make you sad.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

The Moon Monster posted:

Well the animation IS pretty great, although it makes Virginia look more like Pandora or possibly Valinor.

No, it is not.

Pocahontas looks like hot trash. They obsessed so much on rotoscoping, the character's faces slide around, particularly John Smith.

It also has a lot of early CG which is not blended well, especially Mother Willow

Watch it again, and with the exception of the few hero shots of Pocahontas' hair flopping around, you will see it is quite possibly the worst-looking film, technically, that Disney has ever put out.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

No, it is not.

Pocahontas looks like hot trash. They obsessed so much on rotoscoping, the character's faces slide around, particularly John Smith.

It also has a lot of early CG which is not blended well, especially Mother Willow

Watch it again, and with the exception of the few hero shots of Pocahontas' hair flopping around, you will see it is quite possibly the worst-looking film, technically, that Disney has ever put out.

I guess I was mostly just paying attention to the backgrounds and purple hat guy.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hercules, Princess and the Frog and Mulan are my favs idk what that says about me if anything

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hercules is just Greek Superman, and what the hell, it works.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I mostly judge them by how obnoxious the Hebrew dub was when my much younger siblings were watching them on loop. Jungle Book had really good voice acting, other than Scar most of the dubbing for Lion King was pretty bad.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
The Great Mouse Detective doesn't get enough love. Rattigan is one of the best Disney villians ever.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The best Disney movie is A Goofy Movie.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Hunchback was my favorite as a kid because it was dark and the music was this sweeping gothic score, with beautiful background visuals.

But were they seriously ignorant about the connotations of the word "gypsy" or did they just not care? How did that go over in Europe?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hyperhazard posted:

Hunchback was my favorite as a kid because it was dark and the music was this sweeping gothic score, with beautiful background visuals.

But were they seriously ignorant about the connotations of the word "gypsy" or did they just not care? How did that go over in Europe?

Most Americans still think gypsies are like pixies and brownies, and Europeans will go from zero to Hitler in seconds at the mention of the word.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Push El Burrito posted:

The best Disney movie is A Goofy Movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYhvAIEGI_Y

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most Americans still think gypsies are like pixies and brownies, and Europeans will go from zero to Hitler in seconds at the mention of the word.

Canton Gypsy Market posted:

Lets Be Gypsies Together
Our journey began as  little gypsy twins with a dream..... We were always selling something, apples when we were 5 to our Grandfather, flowers to our neighbors,  vintage clothing & jewelry when we were teenagers. Our collection of goods traveled around with us through the years. We set up at antique shows & vintage fairs learning as much as we could about all of the unique treasures we sold. Our  dream one day was to open a boutique. Life got busy careers, marriages, kids so we took a break but the desire to have our own boutique never went away. We continued to collect items & discovered amazing passionate souls  as we traveled never missing an arts district or flea market. We grew up with our mother & grandmother teaching us the importance of homemade goods & how beneficial it was to make something rather than  buy it. As time passed we thought why not be gypsies again . We started selling all of our wares  along with some of our own handcrafted goods.  The talk of opening a boutique was in the works until we decided why not bring all of the gypsies, makers, artists, musicians, chefs, bakers & pop up shop owners together creating  a market for everyone to share. We wanted to create a day that would inspire our community  touching the mind, body and soul.  And so the Gypsy Market began on a beautiful summer day in July. The story begins with us but it continues with all of you. Lets be gypsies together...... 
Thank you for being a part of our journey ~The Gypsy Twins~ Keri & Kelly 

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sarcopenia posted:

The Great Mouse Detective doesn't get enough love. Rattigan is one of the best Disney villians ever.

I never watched it. I'm not sure why, it did make it to theaters in Israel, although it's one of the few who were never dubbed. Which shouldn't have mattered, I was perfectly fine with subtitles at the time.

Does explain why it never made it to my siblings` playlist.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i've always had a soft spot for the aristocats (hoo boy that asian cat though...) and 101 dalmatians. i love that old, gritty, kinda scratchy animation. it still looks great

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Black Cauldron doesn't get enough love. Sleeping Beauty is my absolute favorite though. Well, that or Sword and the Stone.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i've always had a soft spot for the aristocats (hoo boy that asian cat though...) and 101 dalmatians. i love that old, gritty, kinda scratchy animation. it still looks great

it was made with lovely photocopies, that's the secret to that style ftr

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

nice

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I sincerely believe that a Goofy Movie is the best animated musical ever made

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

All of the work that goes into traditional animation is so crazy/cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il8bP4ZS4Vc

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Sword in the Stone was my favorite as a kid, but I tried watching it again recently and finally noticed how rough it is, with all the reused animation, and Wart's voice changing seemingly every other line. Still love it, though.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

yeah people gave it a lot of poo poo because they didn't spend the extra time and money to clean up the lines but gently caress it, that's a cool aesthetic

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The Lion King is Hamlet for furries.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rollersnake posted:

The Sword in the Stone was my favorite as a kid, but I tried watching it again recently and finally noticed how rough it is, with all the reused animation, and Wart's voice changing seemingly every other line. Still love it, though.

I always liked Higgitus Figgitus more than Bibidi Bobidi Boo, because it felt rougher and less controlled, like Merlin had to struggle to keep the magic obedient. The fairy Godmother's magic felt too unearned, if you are going to bend the laws of the universe to it's breaking point, you've got to expect it to fight back. I also liked Substitutiary Locomotion from Bedknobs and Broomsticks for the same reason. The spell wouldn't listen until she could form a commanding presence and make it listen. She had to do it... with a flair!

Higgitus Figgitus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb75RjpvBIk. Just how he totally loses control right at the end there, makes his magic feel more powerful. Because it's like it's fighting back.

Substitutiary Locomotion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpmshIjeSv8 same here, the spell won't work unless the chant is said with the correct intonation - you aren't asking it to move, you have to tell it. Also during the battle with the armour chanting the spell is creepy and cool af. Also the fact that in the initial test run the spell leaks so badly to the surrounding area helps it feel more dangerous and primal.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Aug 24, 2019

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hercules is just Greek Superman, and what the hell, it works.

Disney’s Hercules is actually more like Greek Jesus if you think about it. He travels around performing great deeds (miracles), he has interactions/temptations with Satan (Hades), he is invoked with a woman with a past (Meg/Mary Magdalene), he makes a meaningful sacrifice at the end of the story which allows him to regain his rightful place in heaven. Disney’s version is much more rooted in Protestant Christianity than it is in the original Greek myth, which isn’t surprising if you look at the audience Disney was/is trying to market to.

Oh and having the Greek Muses manifest as black gospel singers really helps sell it too.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Disney Hercules would be way better if he got tricked into murdering his family.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

hyperhazard posted:

it feels like its only been like 10 years since gypsy being a slur has really entered in american brains.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Calaveron posted:

I sincerely believe that a Goofy Movie is the best animated musical ever made
It really is a great movie yeah.

Hellfire is the best villain song Disney did, it however isn't the best actual song.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Roobanguy posted:

it feels like its only been like 10 years since gypsy being a slur has really entered in american brains.

I'd say gypsy is right there with retard and midget in the "sort of know it's a slur, but don't really care yet" category for Americans.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Disney's Hercules is about rejecting the concept of the Ancient Greek Hero in favor of the modern concept of heroism.

Pocahontas kinda sucks except for the songs, which are great.

"Gypsy" wasn't a slur in America in the 1990s, we mostly knew it from Cher.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

King of Foolians posted:

Disney’s Hercules is actually more like Greek Jesus if you think about it. He travels around performing great deeds (miracles), he has interactions/temptations with Satan (Hades), he is invoked with a woman with a past (Meg/Mary Magdalene), he makes a meaningful sacrifice at the end of the story which allows him to regain his rightful place in heaven. Disney’s version is much more rooted in Protestant Christianity than it is in the original Greek myth, which isn’t surprising if you look at the audience Disney was/is trying to market to.

Oh and having the Greek Muses manifest as black gospel singers really helps sell it too.

the story of hercules was actually very popular among early-late christians in days gone by because, as you're getting at, some very slight modifications can shift the story into something that loosely matches christian ideals

i'd just add that hercules is slightly less of a messiah analogue (e: in the version christians told) and more like a typical fella who starts off as kind of an arrogant rear end in a top hat unaware of his flaws (poor ignorant sinner) but goes down a path at the request of the divine that teaches him humility, self-realization and self-improvement triggered by all the ordeals he faces that culminates in being able righteous enough to travel down to hades itself w/o suffering permanent death to wrestle cerberus as a final test... and then it was off to mount olympus with him

the greek version surprisingly isn't too far off, aside from things like the overall tone or the trick heracules had to learn to get into hades, as the greek version also emphasizes his learning of things like humility along the way - the actual ordeals themselves were practically secondary in importance to the character growth that went along with them

hard counter has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Aug 24, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say gypsy is right there with retard and midget in the "sort of know it's a slur, but don't really care yet" category for Americans.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

:(

though joel has said that he intends to change her name to GPC, which is better i guess

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Solice Kirsk posted:

Borat using it a lot should be a clue.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Prior to the internet people in the US didn't really use the term gypsy as a slur, so there was no real impetus for us to reevaluate using it. The internet has caused all sorts of delightful things like the ability to know slurs from cultures near and far. It has slowly brought awareness that the origins of the term aren't benign, and that the term is used as a slur pretty much everywhere else. It isn't going away overnight but it is slowly falling out of use in polite conversation.

Also some people in the US have started to use it as a slur again, so yay internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Byzantine posted:

"Gypsy" wasn't a slur in America in the 1990s, we mostly knew it from Fleetwood Mac.

:colbert: