Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cobalt60 posted:

I've been considering a roof rack for my 128i w/ Msport package. For fun.

Dealership quoted $257.00 which seems like a good price compared to yakima/thule aeorbar type options. Question is how the BMW version compares to those more aero-style bars -- anyone have any experience there?

Also, is there some chance that they are offering me the older, square-stock bar instead of the newer BMW bar?

I had genuine BMW bars on my 118i and also have genuine bars on my 320i. They’re not too noisy, they look quite good and up to about 70mph only knock about 2mpg off my fuel economy.

The only downside is that the T tracks aren’t the standard size. I use a Thule bike carrier and had to order special sized T bolts from them separately so I could use it with my BMW bars.

Compared to a decently priced Thule aero set it was significantly cheaper and looks a lot better on the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I recently found some new old stock Whispbar crossbars (now part of Yakima) for my e46 because the OEM ones are an older chunky style that sit really high off the roof. Been super pleased with them for under $200.

If your car uses the newer better looking OEM bars that’s a good option, though.

Other than T-slot stuff most attachments are pretty universal and will work on anything.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-325ix-touring/

E30 ix touring in the best color and with a 5 speed, wonder how much this is going to end up going for

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

rscott posted:

E30 ix touring in the best color and with a 5 speed, wonder how much this is going to end up going for
Wow that's sexy. BaT has been killing it with BMWs lately

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So much better if it wasn't an ix

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How easy are these to find in Europe in good condition? I have family there that might be able to help with storage/shipping...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Residency Evil posted:

How easy are these to find in Europe in good condition? I have family there that might be able to help with storage/shipping...

If Sweden is anything to go by, kinda hard. Many E30's have had the tragic route of being driven to death by oversteer-happy 20-year olds. They do pop up from time to time, but aren't cheap and usually via some dealer.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

So much better if it wasn't an ix
some of us prefer ix

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also big lols to those who are obsessive about their car's paint

I'm not what I'd call obsessive about the paint, but it needs work.

Doesn't get captured super well, but pretty much all of the panels have that going on and it's super bad in the sun.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

How does that even happen?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

some of us prefer ix

Yeah they're usually referred to as Audi drivers

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Bit hard to tell if it's spider-webbing or buff haze. If the former - tons of small scratched from washing your car improperly (i.e. brushes/drive through washes/bad washing habits). If buff haze it's from someone that doesn't know what they are doing trying to buff the car and not doing it properly.

I saw a Volvo V90 in black that had swirls all over the car. Must have been brush-washed since day one. Looked to drat horrible. I guess if you don't care, it's fine. But once you see it you can't unsee it. Plus it's a pretty fun hobby ... :shepicide:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah they're usually referred to as Audi drivers
Well yeah I’ve owned three Audis

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

How does that even happen?

Car Dealership wash'n'fetch kid using towels that have been sitting on the ground. The same kid that came back into the showroom to fetch me since he couldn't drive a stick. He is at all dealerships, now.

Always tell your advisor to stick the "DO NOT WASH" placard on your dash when in for a service.

The previous owner also may have ran the car through "Lots of touching with plastic whippy things" car washes at Chevron, etc as well.

It's a buttload of work to get it out. Orbital, glazes, polishes, sealers, opti-coat etc. I had to pay about $750 to have it done professionally to a Black 2011 335 I bought, the paint was absolutely trashed. I should have had it wrapped

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 24, 2019

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rscott posted:

wow they made a daytona violet e30... what

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

Bit hard to tell if it's spider-webbing or buff haze.

I think it's mainly buff haze. There's some spider webbing too, but I expect that in some fashion.

Keyser_Soze posted:

It's a buttload of work to get it out. Orbital, glazes, polishes, sealers, opti-coat etc. I had to pay about $750 to have it done professionally to a Black 2011 335 I bought, the paint was absolutely trashed. I should have had it wrapped

I need to get some quotes, but if they're under a grand for correction and ceramic coating I'll probably jump on it. I'm trying to save up for a hopeful out of state move and the house purchase that will come with that, but the right price and I'll spend the money without hesitation.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Weird how people don't know Bronzit is the gentleman's e30 paint.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Out of curiosity I did glance at this and it does offer points for service, which is good, but I think only dealerships?

Most points at dealerships, some points on gas, 1% on everything, I think. You can turn the points into finance/lease credit, or just redeem for bulk cash back on purchase. I think you can do cash back as Visa cards at any given point, but it costs a few more points? It’s serviced by Fiserv, and the call center is in Ohio. It’s not bad. It’s not The Best(tm), but it works for what I needed.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I’ve kept mine because it has no annual fee and it’s a nice old account. I use it once a year.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

rscott posted:

Anyone who buys an e30 touring in the US has nostalgia or rarity retardation. Look at how the boot actually operates and how much access you have to it and tell me I'm wrong.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

fknlo posted:

I think it's mainly buff haze. There's some spider webbing too, but I expect that in some fashion.

I need to get some quotes, but if they're under a grand for correction and ceramic coating I'll probably jump on it. I'm trying to save up for a hopeful out of state move and the house purchase that will come with that, but the right price and I'll spend the money without hesitation.

I used Sigma Kore down here in Centennial/Englewood on my e63s back in June before it got BBQ’d and they did a good job:

That’s a cloud in the reflection.

PS, ceramic coatings are not fireproof. :(

Tremek fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 25, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Waaaaaaaait you lost that in the fire as well? I totally missed that, jesus, very sorry it all happened to you. :(

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

Anyone who buys an e30 touring in the US has nostalgia or rarity retardation. Look at how the boot actually operates and how much access you have to it and tell me I'm wrong.

It does look pretty cool though, if you like mini wagons. And there's more space and access than the sedan.

Nostalgia/rarity retardation is AI. :colbert:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

I used Sigma Kore down here in Centennial/Englewood on my e63s back in June before it got BBQ’d and they did a good job:

Oof, that sucks so hard. What was the price for the work?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

RARE PROJECT CAR! just needs a little TLC. $20k no lowballs I know what i have

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

RARE PROJECT CAR! just needs a little TLC. $20k no lowballs I know what i have
Tavarish would probably buy it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Ugh, don't remind me of idiots who buy fire cars. Copart should force people to sign a waiver saying they won't try to rebuild a car where anything structural was on fire. "WORLDS CHEAPEST LAMBORGHINI!" isn't worth it when you crash your rebuilt lambo and the entire thing buckles because the whole thing was weakened by the fire.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

This one's the worst I know of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRMoWiVCJno

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

angryrobots posted:

It does look pretty cool though, if you like mini wagons. And there's more space and access than the sedan.

Nostalgia/rarity retardation is AI. :colbert:

I *typically* agree but the e30 touring is an example of an effort/price ratio that just doesn't do it for me. Go buy a BiTurbo or something.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tremek posted:

I’m so sorry I missed this. What happened and what replaced that beauty?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’m so sorry I missed this. What happened and what replaced that beauty?

poo poo happened:

Also of note fellow BMW enthusiasts, one 1988 325 coupe, unique patina!

TLDR the fire investigator for our homeowners insurance believes one of my Ryobi lithium ion drill batteries erupted and started the fire. It’s a poo poo sandwich and will take forever to make right.

Deep in the throes of car-grief I bought a new Raptor about a week after the fire; at first I didn’t like it but with a tune it’s grown on me.

Also have a deposit down for a ‘20 Vette to have something sporty again eventually but TBD there.

fknlo posted:

Oof, that sucks so hard. What was the price for the work?

I think with the paint correction, and then ceramic on everything including the wheels and glass it was $1200 (and the wheels and glass were extra.) I think I had it back for ~10 days after getting that done, and I have now owned the Raptor longer than the E63s, which is lol.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 26, 2019

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Tremek posted:

TLDR the fire investigator for our homeowners insurance believes one of my Ryobi lithium ion drill batteries erupted and started the fire. It’s a poo poo sandwich and will take forever to make right.
You should get referral bonus from elide since this post convinced me to get off my rear end & get a few of those fire suppression balls.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Did you have old Ryobi batteries? Or were they constantly sitting on a charger?

God drat what a bummer

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Ha! I thought the same thing. Then he wouldn’t ever finish it.

But yeah that really sucks about the fire, one of the worst things to go through I imagine.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Tremek posted:

horrifying poo poo

Jesus christ, I missed this after all the other poo poo. My deepest condolences. That e30 was so nice...

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Did you have old Ryobi batteries? Or were they constantly sitting on a charger?

God drat what a bummer

All were less than 2 years old, 18v li-ion, and I don't think any were on a charger at the time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
christ thats scary

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Tremek posted:

All were less than 2 years old, 18v li-ion, and I don't think any were on a charger at the time.

Good thing I keep mine in the utility room in the very center of my house. :ohdear:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Uthor posted:

Good thing I keep mine in the utility room in the very center of my house. :ohdear:

The fire investigator tried to put the fear in me; he said he sees more fires starting from batteries than anything else now.

He told me he doesn't leave the house with a battery on a charger, he sets a timer and removes the battery from the charger and unplugs the charger itself, he charges them on a non-flammable surface, and even recommended using a non-flammable battery bag for both charging and storage.

PS, as most of us don't have smoke detectors in our garages, might be cheap peace of mind to look into networked (as in will tell your detectors inside the house to alarm too) smoke/heat detectors. As you might guess, I did not have one in the garage, it's not code here. Even then my very new smoke detectors in the house didn't alarm until the fire department had already been fighting the fire for ~10 minutes. Very scary stuff, check your fire prevention/evacuation plans folks. I never thought this would happen to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Well now I'm slightly terrified of every battery I have laying around.

Serious condolences, that's incredibly lovely.