Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my most recent experience with Tool was trying to stay polite while my girlfriends 40-something redneck uncle explained how Lateralus follows the fibonacci sequence and how 46&2 is about evolution and isn't that fuckin mindblowing, man, and isn't Tool really the Pink Floyd of our time?

I like the song, expect to like the album. The lyrics are dumb but I dig the vox. Sometimes I still pull out the 10,000 Days CD and look at the stereo scope pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
With very few exceptions, I've had 10.000 days in my car stereo for about 10 years straight now. I mostly just listen to the radio, but when nothing good is on, Tool is always there. I skip all the intermissions though, heard enough of them by now.

New song is, I dunno. It's definitely Tool. Listening to it for the second time now and some parts seem just one on one copies of previous songs. Weird. Not going to become my favorite, it's too quiet and slow for that.

Pre-ordered the album. I hardly ever pre-order anything, on principle, but well, it's Tool, what can you do?

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

uXs posted:

New song is, I dunno. It's definitely Tool. Listening to it for the second time now and some parts seem just one on one copies of previous songs. Weird. Not going to become my favorite, it's too quiet and slow for that.

I agree that it's reminiscent of some other Tool songs (Reflection specifically), but a lot of what seems familiar is the stuff that makes Tool sound like Tool, if that makes sense? Drums/percussion in particular, especially on this track. But I think the vocal performance is pretty unique, and there are a lot of really neat Adam/Justin details in there that ultimately hooked me.

Like most Tool songs, it needs way more than a couple listens to fully digest. I'm at least a dozen listens in and I'm still picking out cool stuff I hadn't noticed before.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

an environmental nightmare

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

First impression of title track: it’s like a computer algorithm was fed every Tool album and generated this. 10 minutes long for no reason, just plods along with nothing to justify its length.

yeah, after the second chorus it’s a bit of a mess. like multiple sections that aren’t coherent.: and the time changes are awkward rather than interesting

i was listening to eulogy the other day, and the contrast as far as a long song with long buildup was interesting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my bony fealty posted:

isn't Tool really the Pink Floyd of our time?

Pink Floyd released DSOTM, WYWH, The wall, and Animals in like a 6-7 year period

tool takes 13 years to take one long poo poo.

no matter what tool does it never ever compare to the wall

I would love to see them drop their pretence and embrace synthesisers and try to make encompassing music rather than rigid faux-metal

I’ll still enjoy it but it could be so much more 🤷‍♂️

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

Pink Floyd released DSOTM, WYWH, The wall, and Animals in like a 6-7 year period

tool takes 13 years to take one long poo poo.

no matter what tool does it never ever compare to the wall

I would love to see them drop their pretence and embrace synthesisers and try to make encompassing music rather than rigid faux-metal

I’ll still enjoy it but it could be so much more 🤷‍♂️

adam jones did a live album with the melvins where he played synth and it was pretty interesting

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Tracklist is out, and the main 75 minute album is just the seven actual tracks. The interludes are bonus tracks that come with the download from the physical release.

quote:

1. Fear Inoculum
2. Pneuma
3. Invincible
4. Descending
5. Culling Voices
6. Chocolate Chip Trip
7. 7empest

Bonus tracks (available via the digital release; physical copy includes a digital download card): • Litanie contre la Peur • Legion Inoculant • Mockingbeat

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 14, 2019

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

my bony fealty posted:

my most recent experience with Tool was trying to stay polite while my girlfriends 40-something redneck uncle explained how Lateralus follows the fibonacci sequence and how 46&2 is about evolution and isn't that fuckin mindblowing, man, and isn't Tool really the Pink Floyd of our time?

I'd say Radiohead is probably more the Pink Floyd of the time.

Nail Rat posted:

Tracklist is out, and the main 75 minute album is just the seven actual tracks. The interludes are bonus tracks that come with the download from the physical release.

Wait, the bonuses are interludes? I hadn't seen that anywhere. Interesting. I guess that explains a bit on why they didn't go with two discs for the physical release.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

RDreamer posted:

Wait, the bonuses are interludes? I hadn't seen that anywhere. Interesting. I guess that explains a bit on why they didn't go with two discs for the physical release.

Yeah some reviews are out now, and the song-by-song ones identify the 3 bonus tracks as ambient interludes. I guess we keep waiting for that Opiate rerecording.

Apparently Chocolate Chip Trip is a long instrumental.

Persoally, I find it to be pretty sloppy to structure your album in such a way that part of the album's intended tracklist isn't on the loving album, but oh well.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 14, 2019

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Nail Rat posted:

Persoally, I find it to be pretty sloppy to structure your album in such a way that part of the album's intended tracklist isn't on the loving album, but oh well.
Not really much choice if they didn't have room on the CD. The interludes will be on the digital copies of the album and the CDs will include a download code for them, so this seems like a decision made out of necessity.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

hughesta posted:

Not really much choice if they didn't have room on the CD. The interludes will be on the digital copies of the album and the CDs will include a download code for them, so this seems like a decision made out of necessity.

Bands have never done double disc albums before. Never. No choice at all here. Oh well.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

RDreamer posted:

Bands have never done double disc albums before. Never. No choice at all here. Oh well.

How is that any better? Stopping a playthrough, switching discs, to listen to 3 more tracks?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

RDreamer posted:

Hey, in the 1980s, there were plenty of double LPs that had tracks shaved off just so they could fit on one CD!

It's a few possibilities. Perhaps making it a double CD wasn't what they wanted. Maybe they know most people aren't going to use the CD so they don't want to make it a double for the small number of people who will experience the album that way.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Review from Metal Injection sounds promising: https://metalinjection.net/reviews/tool-fear-inoculum-review

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Man am I glad that Tool has Instagram and Twitter now, because even after a redesign their site continues to be difficult to use and unnecessarily bloated. It's more like a hobby/art piece than a functional source of information.

And most of the poo poo STILL isn't about the band, even with an album imminent.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Glad the reviews are good but I don’t really like that all the songs seem to be 10+ minutes, featuring extended jam sessions. My suspicion was that the album will be full of wanky, noodling jam sessions and welp that’s what it sounds like. Comparisons to Grateful Dead are not encouraging even in an overwhelmingly positive review.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I remember the review "sessions" for 10,000 Days where they played the album for media people and it sounded so loving weird.

Do a group of people sit around in a room and listen to a 90 minute album like nodding along or what the gently caress. Anyway, Tool x Grateful Dead sounds cool to me.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

My suspicion was that the album will be full of wanky, noodling jam sessions and welp that’s what it sounds like. Comparisons to Grateful Dead are not encouraging even in an overwhelmingly positive review.

Grateful Dead are just the obvious noodly jam session go-to reference, so I'm not too concerned about the one mention of that. Have faith, friend. It's gonna be good.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
gently caress double post. Quote is not edit.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

somnambulist posted:

How is that any better? Stopping a playthrough, switching discs, to listen to 3 more tracks?

They could put the break anywhere. People have been listening to music with slight breaks for a long time. It’s how vinyl works. Why is not including them at all a better solution?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Maybe they're going for what they feel is the best option for the CD version. For example, some vinyl albums have different track orders to better suit the fact that you'll have to switch sides and to make the record sound better.

They might have felt that having the album cleaved in two, with the necessary silence that would bring, didn't suit it.

Honestly, worrying about the limitations of a CD these days is pointless since that's not how 95% of your audience will hear it. And the CD comes with a download code so you can get the full experience. And they've been upfront about the situation.

It's not stupid. It's the way things are.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just don't even release the CD, save some money

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, at this point I might just try to download the full album rather than buy the CD. If the CD isn't going to be the "full" album, then I don't see the point of buying this one. And I have nearly 1,000 CDs.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

quote:

Two things really stood out on this one listen. One is that Tool no longer have any reservations about jamming out. At points it almost felt like listening to a Grateful Dead record with more loud guitars and distortion, and I do not mean that as an insult

I'm taking it as one regardless because I haaaaate that poo poo.

I really hope the reviewer is just bad because I just hear 'jam like' as a symonym for 'aimless'.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 15, 2019

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I still like Tool and enjoyed them when I saw them play in May, but the title track sure is a 4 minute song made 10 minutes. The two they played when I saw them were better so I'm hoping the other 4 tracks are better.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

It's grown on me with multiple listens. It doesn't feel that long anymore.

Descending and Invincible are definitely better though and can't wait to see how they sound recorded.

Anyone know where you'll be able to buy lossless files on the day of release?

Someone on another forum said they bought FI in .flac from Tidal, but I can't find any way of doing that on their site.

The CD is going to be at least September 3rd here.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

H13 posted:

Petrucci playing for Tool would probably be the worst idea possible.

It would be terrible but also hilarious. I always thought Home sounded like Dream Theater's take on Forty Six & 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqHSrJ2mLo0

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Lester Shy posted:

It would be terrible but also hilarious. I always thought Home sounded like Dream Theater's take on Forty Six & 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqHSrJ2mLo0

They wrote "The Great Debate" specifically to be a Tool homage. If Tool covered the topic of "should stem cells be legal?"

https://youtu.be/4z6vpiXQJNA

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Adam is a great textural player and understands tension and release(why is what makes danny carey’s playing sound so good beyond chops).

Its the difference between ostinato sounding insistent rather than repetitive. Looking at his tabs on ultimate-guitar isnt going to show you that, or how the part compliments other voices

Still not real into the new tracks

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

They wrote "The Great Debate" specifically to be a Tool homage. If Tool covered the topic of "should stem cells be legal?"

https://youtu.be/4z6vpiXQJNA

I don't see how that song is a Tool homage. It sounds like any other Dream Theater song.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

https://streamable.com/bbt87

Unboxing video from some little kid. Crazy package but the screen doesn't seem to be that special, just standard weird animations.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Nail Rat posted:

Unboxing video from some little kid. Crazy package but the screen doesn't seem to be that special, just standard weird animations.

gently caress that’s nice packaging. So glad I preordered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Its weird to think that the production of this album is older than this kid. I am sad cause I dropped the ball on pre ordering the deluxe edition and now it looks to be impossible to get.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm sure you'll be able to get it in indie record stores at least, otherwise the advertising language on the package seems very pointless.

Edit: the album...is around.

And if you liked the title track at all, it's loving GOOD.

Edit: on Invincible now and I take back anything bad I said about Adam Jones. Holy poo poo. On this track everything he does fits perfectly. Edit 2: wow he's incredible on Descending. Again nothing super technical but for the song it is absolutely perfect.

Edit 3: Fear Inoculum is a good track but it's by far the worst track on the album.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 25, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think I heard an actual guitar harmony somewhere.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Really digging Pneuma, if the rest of the album keeps this up I’ll be happy

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Yarbald posted:

Really digging Pneuma, if the rest of the album keeps this up I’ll be happy

7empest.

:stare:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

uXs posted:

7empest.

:stare:

An Adam Jones solo that’s... good?? :monocle:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm not making a value judgment on the song either way, but I do think the various comments about how it sounds like an AI-generated Tool song are partly because the song very deliberately quotes various Tool songs. It's not accidental- there are certain riffs or concepts in there that are purposely evocative of Jimmy, 46&2, and Lateralus (and apparently Reflection, according to some of you).

Chalk me up as one of the people who felt dead inside when I first heard it, as though I could no longer access the joy of adolescence. But after listening to the song repeatedly it really grew on me, like most Tool songs. I still think it's probably worse than anything in Lateralus/10,000 Days, but only by a somewhat narrow margin. I wasn't aware until this album that their general writing process involved Maynard writing and recording vocals once all the other parts were essentially recorded and done. It seems obvious when you listen to the new song, but I have to say that he seems much more integrated into the older material. It's especially hard to imagine how Lateralus was written without his early input.

In any case, it sounds like this album is going to be a blend of Lateralus/10,000 Days, which is I think all I was entitled to. There's been a trend of the pillars of my pop culture life coming back from the dead in my late twenties/early thirties, and it's super depressing to realize that even if the output is objectively as good as the old stuff, I've grown past it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

7empest. is. EVERYTHING.

Love the whole album. Culling Voices hits me in all the right places too.

gently caress yeah, this is dope.