Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will AEW survive the year?
This poll is closed.
Yes 102 47.66%
No 17 7.94%
Yes after TNA buys it 95 44.39%
Total: 214 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Alaois posted:

So he's not seriously injured, just a wimp just like JIM CORNETTE says

We probably won't know until like Tuesday when the MRI results come back if he gets a MRI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Byolante posted:

Throw the tna title in the trash imo
impact is fine

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

rovert posted:

I wouldn't be too hard on that guy. A wrestler who was backstage told me initially things looked really bad and Fenix was crying in pain backstage.

Eh, the guy that initially posted his witness account on SC titled the post “Rey Fenix is out of ALL OUT”. Not cool given everything that happened yesterday.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

impact is fine

Pending the aftermath of Ken Shamrock’s return

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LAX (Santana and Ortiz) were on the Shining Wizards podcast http://www.shiningwizards.com/new/episode-441-santana-and-ortiz-so-hot-and-hungry/

quote:

Asked about their future, LAX said...

Ortiz: I will say this: people won’t be disappointed with our decision.

Santana: Not only that, just know that if you know anything about our careers and what we’ve done to this point, and what we did to get to this point, we’re about making history.

Very difficult to see either response as "we took WWE's blood money", and they were the only other ones bidding against AEW for the team post-TNA

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the wording on this is weird as I assumed PAC would eventually be a full time kind of deal with AEW? But here it sounds like he's still gonna be more of a DG guy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

the wording on this is weird as I assumed PAC would eventually be a full time kind of deal with AEW? But here it sounds like he's still gonna be more of a DG guy.

He's contracted to both and that will continue to be the case when TV starts

Same situation with Moxley and New Japan, and Lucha Bros and AAA

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

rovert posted:

I wouldn't be too hard on that guy. A wrestler who was backstage told me initially things looked really bad and Fenix was crying in pain backstage.

While Fenix is in the hospital screaming in pain, his wife will be on her back screaming, screaming my name!

I guess what I am saying is Penta and Big Poppa Pump vs The Young Bucks would be a great match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

LAX (Santana and Ortiz) were on the Shining Wizards podcast http://www.shiningwizards.com/new/episode-441-santana-and-ortiz-so-hot-and-hungry/

Very difficult to see either response as "we took WWE's blood money", and they were the only other ones bidding against AEW for the team post-TNA

I mean, in a pinch, LAX replacing the Lucha Bros wouldn't be the end of the world.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

WWE bound people don't do interviews and lay low. And we have the two mystery slots in the AEW six-man. It is super obviously they are going to AEW.

But I think the most key thing for the tag team is that if they went to WWE they wouldn't have Konnan to advocate for them in the locker room there.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I can’t imagine why LAX wouldn’t be excited to go to the WWE and become The New Mexicools or something.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Chris James 2 posted:

You know how at the AAA show Cody and MJF teamed on, their entrance was Cody being Cody and doing cool fun stuff for kids in the audience, while behind him MJF was flipping off and antagonizing everyone else in the audience, but when they'd be beside each other or Cody would ask for help MJF would give thumbs up and assist temporarily?

Imagine that general dynamic in-ring with Sting and Luger for two years

It ruled and didn't affect their friendship that one just happened to be a dick

Chikara did this really well with the whole Dasher Hatfield/Mr. Touchdown relationship, which went on for about seven years.

It reminds me of when WWE had choose-your-adventure books. One scenario had you (face) join the Miz (heel) to make a run at the tag titles. At the end, there were two possible endings. Either you cheat and win the titles, but it kills your dynamic and the two of you break up shortly after losing the belts or you stay honorable and lose, but come out of it with a lengthy and successful tag team run.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chris James 2 posted:

Pending the aftermath of Ken Shamrock’s return

My god we need him and Suzuki to team up and just murder grandpa everyone!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

one of my favorite lax moments was mania weekend vs team tremendous, carrying slams ortiz outside, santana yells at ortiz to get in the ring, ortiz just yells back CANT, IM SELLING

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Why is everyone hype for the return of Tony Schiavone?

Has it just been so long that we don't remember how actively awful he was at his job?

At his best, in ideal conditions, he's on par with Michael Cole, and has openly said that his real passion is announcing baseball.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NutShellBill posted:

Has it just been so long that we don't remember how actively awful he was at his job?

At his best, in ideal conditions, he's on par with Michael Cole, and has openly said that his real passion is announcing baseball.

He's gotten better and is open and honest about how much wcw sucked. He was also fine when the product was fine and he was with a decent broadcast team.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

NutShellBill posted:

THAT’S NOT CICLOPE

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

NutShellBill posted:

About a year's worth of his commentary on MLW Fusion and modern Wrestling commentary is largely the shits.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NutShellBill posted:

Tony was fantastic as long as the product he was asked to commentate on was passable.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

unfortunately he has come back only to be immediately cancelled for japanese racism

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Fenix will wrestle tonight
https://www.facebook.com/104752689708/posts/10157435222544709?s=744379696&sfns=mo

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dude, Fenix, don't be dumb.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'll be so glad for AEW TV to start just to get folks on a saner schedule.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Dude, Fenix, don't be dumb.

Unfortunately, he's still Fenix.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Filed under the Not Surprising But Nice To Have Confirmed department: Dave says Riho/Shida determines who faces the winner of the preshow battle royal on the TNT debut for the inaugural women's title

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

rovert posted:

About a year's worth of his commentary on MLW Fusion and modern Wrestling commentary is largely the shits.

He also has a perfect voice for announcing which accounts for a lot

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

He also has a perfect voice for announcing which accounts for a lot

He really does. Hopefully being at a new company with an exciting product will light a fire under him and he'll do well.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Filed under the Not Surprising But Nice To Have Confirmed department: Dave says Riho/Shida determines who faces the winner of the preshow battle royal on the TNT debut for the inaugural women's title

There are two very distinct camps in AEW about who to put the title on. There's been a lot of infighting about it and will be interesting to see who wins out. Will be something to talk not now about after All Out and the TNT show.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Kylie Rae or Hikaru Shida :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It'll be Britt or Shida, probably. I assume the fight is between TNT and maybe Khan, wanting Britt because she's been kind of the face of their TV push and publicity and Kenny and maybe Brandi wanting one of the joshi?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
Nothing against Britt, but she's not as exciting to me as a character or wrestler unlike Kylie or Hikaru. And as Kylie is "dunno about her future in AEW/wrestling" it seems right now and hasn't been hardly anywhere since Double or Nothing, I'd love to have Shida take it as she's full-time with AEW unlike Riho who is signed primarily to Stardom (and power to her) and is likely going to be a once-a-month or maybe a month tour 3 or 4 times a year attraction.

smikey fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 24, 2019

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
What about pipers daughter? Can she wrestling?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I can't believe AEW has failed

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I can't believe AEW has failed

hosed up that gedo himself posioned jon moxley to kill off AEW

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm firmly in the Hikaru Shida camp since she gives off a badass vibe without a lot of explanation and she's actually signed with AEW.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
As I said last night they filmed stuff addressing it

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1165353235135246336

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

i’m not really sold on Britt being topshelf just yet. Riho is probably the safest bet for an inaugural champ. Shida is still pretty green and has too many baby giraffe moments. I’d like Kylie to be in this conversation but if she can’t commit to wrestling, that’s perfectly fine because it’s cooler if she ends up someplace where she’s happy.

They really do need to get Maki Itoh in the conversation. Her english social media game is top notch. Her ringwork is solid and she’ll commit to anything.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Britt should definitely be the first champ. Especially with a show in Pittsburgh so soon on tv.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I'm not sure someone who's been in the business for eleven years can be called "green".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
The fact that anyone other than BIG KAIJU is in this conversation is shameful