Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

:rock: :rock: :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i am one of those sad fucks who only plays these games for the campaign. I loved IW and apparently its keeping the writers/designers from that as well as adding uncharted people and old cod 4 crew. so thats cool.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo I may have to upgrade to an Apex just for that joycon support.

As far as what console to get cross-play should minimize the issue but the core group has been playing on PS4 for a few years. It'll be nice to play with the Xbox boys again. Hopefully the in-game party audio isn't poo poo for cross-play days!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I look forward to killing pubbies with you all again

In the mean time on Division 2 and monster hunter

Psn: waroduce

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The guns feel nice and heavy in this alpha.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Everything except the M19 pistol, yeah. That one feels like a paintball gun, and the bullet travel just as slow.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Played for about 3 hours this afternoon with a mate of mine from Destiny/Apex.

Thoughts:

The Good:
The heavy movement style is a good move, the pace of play still feels fast but the lack of wall running, drop shotting and dolphin diving makes your movement and set up all the more important - it's still a twitchy shooter but it felt more like the better angle and accurate shot won the most fights. The map design is simple but diverse enough to keep things interesting. Pine is a bit poo poo and it seemed to encourage people to go prone in weird spots and hope to ambush rather than push - like at all, and the easy counter of just waiting for time is boring as hell. Probably need to scale back the foliage a fraction. The sound design on the guns is pretty fantastic, stuff that's heavy sounds beefy and satisfying to fire - I like that I can pinpoint where people are based on their shooting at me or my team mate as well. I could also really clearly hear the enemy reloading. The automatic call outs from your team mate if they're off mic like "taking fire" and "reloading" was handy for me to know when to rotate or provide an assist as well.

ARs, Snipers, Desert Eagle, Sub Machine guns all felt great

The bad:
I have a 7.1 surround headset and at times I was sure someone was coming to my right and they were high and behind me for example and I'd be aiming in the wrong direction. The shots would come from the right direction soundwise but the footsteps didnt. The first ten or eleven games were excellent = connections felt tight and snappy, hit registration was flawless. Ran into a few players on my friends list etc, but toward the latter part of the afternoon I started running into players from Japan and the netcode started to show some cracks. I had a fair few games where round to round it was a crapshoot if it would spawn into a timer, a truncated timer, a black screen or a weapon loading in slow motion at which point the game would hang and I'd die before I could move an inch - unless I touched something and then I'd ping off into a wall and die anyway. ww2 was downright unplayable when connections weren't perfect or you got a lobby with some foreign players and if this is just Alpha jitters, fair enough, but if not... it's gonna be a no from me with a ttk this quick and everything relying on twitch and hit registration a bad lobby was extremely tough to overcome. There was also a few games where I was able to see a barrel clipping through a wall or cover which made it really easy for me to get an easy kill, or a few times on the end of round kill cam for me to get wrecked.

Overall: When its good, its really good - when its not its really frustrating. I'll wait for the open beta and hope for the best I guess. Has a whole lot of potential but the latter games today really give me some pause.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BlindSite posted:

The bad:
I have a 7.1 surround headset and at times I was sure someone was coming to my right and they were high and behind me for example and I'd be aiming in the wrong direction. The shots would come from the right direction soundwise but the footsteps didnt.

Yeah, the weapons are great, but enemy directionality and how far their movements propagate is... very bad. Compared to Siege, it's not even close.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
do feel free to join the discord in the OP as well. i think CoD is gonna be a game we actually try to focus on and i'd like to see a good group of people playing. seems like a good opportunity because crossplay will keep the community strong and no season pass will keep the community from being split

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are a lot of people still playing Black Ops 4?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I thought I saw something that they said they’re aware of Some audio issues and will address them.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

I said come in! posted:

Are a lot of people still playing Black Ops 4?
There's a fair number of us still playing, but it's all blackout. On PS4, anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

There's a fair number of us still playing, but it's all blackout. On PS4, anyway.

Bummer, I only like the team based multiplayer modes. :/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Bummer, I only like the team based multiplayer modes. :/

So do most of us but BLOPS4 MP is in a real bad state

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So do most of us but BLOPS4 MP is in a real bad state

This is true. Black Ops 4 MP is painful, even more so than WWII. At least with WWII, I just didn't like the landmines, but with BLOPS4, the killstreaks, and special abilities of each class are all annoying, unfair, and completely ruin the balance of the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Let's hypothetically say a guy I know is sick of getting owned by XIM users and seeing my his teammates out perform him with them all of the time. Has Anyone tried the mouse/move nav controller combo? Because he is kind of starting to think that if you can't beat them join them, but he loving hates using a keyboard to play games despite liking the mouse aspect of it. Also, do they come with that mouse packed in or is that just some mouse XIM is plugging?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

veni veni veni posted:

Let's hypothetically say a guy I know is sick of getting owned by XIM users and seeing my his teammates out perform him with them all of the time. Has Anyone tried the mouse/move nav controller combo? Because he is kind of starting to think that if you can't beat them join them, but he loving hates using a keyboard to play games despite liking the mouse aspect of it. Also, do they come with that mouse packed in or is that just some mouse XIM is plugging?
I think Bear tried it since he found the tiny Move for like $8 used at a Gamestop, but not sure how it worked for him.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Only Javes outperforms me, and not all the time, either.:colbert:
Otherwise you literally described me :haw: :ironicat:

The Xim Apex only comes with the dongle and a three port hub with a 9" cable. The peripherals shown in the ad copy are examples, but the 502 is a very popular sub-$100 mouse, with one of the newest sensors (3360 or later).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 24, 2019

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Nav controller is a popular choice on the XIM forums if you're not into keyboards/keypads.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just to be clear. I can go totally wireless with it right? I can use a wireless mouse and not have to plug in a nav controller?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Just to be clear. I can go totally wireless with it right? I can use a wireless mouse and not have to plug in a nav controller?

Yes. I use a G613 and G900 because wires are trash. Wait if you specifically mean the nav controller the answer is yes

found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_X_ntzv_zc

Apex has BT so you can wirelessly pair controllers. God drat I need to upgrade

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 24, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Apex has BT so you can wirelessly pair controllers. God drat I need to upgrade

poo poo. Yeah I gotta admit this is starting to look pretty appealing. I mainly just can't stand wires or keyboards and it seems like the new XIM makes it a painless non issue.

Also, I read that as Apex Legends has BT from Titanfall in it now and I was like "Woah I gotta reinstall that dumb game asap"

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Small word of warning wrt the Apex, I've seen reports of the housing coming apart from plugging and unplugging it into the console. You may want to buy a short usb extension cord to leave it plugged into.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like the 2v2; not sure if it will replace TDM as my go to but CoD does lend itself very well to short knife fight rounds.

I am one of those weirdos that played CoD for its campaign once upon a time. Still, the scales have since fallen from my eyes and I am kinda wary, particularly since it is IW. Ever since OG Modern Warfare, it felt like every other game in that series needed a ‘shocking’ moment. Granted the Nuke scene was cool and good. No Russian was not. Granted I haven’t paid much attention but I heard enough that I feel wary about it. I am willing, hoping, to be wrong here.

Anyway at least the Multiplayer will be fun because even as much as we complain about minutiae, CoD multiplayer is still better than most other games.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 25, 2019

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The worst part about this alpha is that its now got me hooked. But we've gotta wait a few weeks for the mp beta.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
from what I remember with the XIM stuff too, at least some games on PC have a turn speed cap if you are using XIM

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
That’s only an issue in some games like Overwatch and Destiny. Call of Duties, Battlefields, and Siege all work fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thoughts after about 3.5 hours.

-Shooting feels fantastic. It's so viscerally satisfying. I honestly can't think of a game that has a better feel to the guns
-movement is also fantastic. It's a really nice middle ground between weightier stuff like Siege and faster stuff like COD and TF2. Feels deliberate without being cumbersome.
-Sound effects are also great
-I like the art direction. It's a breath of fresh air after how wacky COD has been for a while. Gives me light MGS vibes.
-Graphics are fine. No complaints at all but other than the lighting being somewhat better it looks pretty much like any COD
-positional sound is awful. They really need to work on that because the audio can be super misleading.
-2v2 is actually a lot of fun as long as you have someone to play with. It seemed dumb at first but I will definitely play this mode although I wouldn't make it my main thing.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
https://twitter.com/DavidAMiniel/status/1165366695395024901

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
the moment when you buy a xim and you realise that ppl can opt out of playing with you and your stuck playing with pc players.

The game tells you what console your on and what controller your using.

edit: I just had a realization that xim controllers are acting like controller pads but you can plug a regular keyboard and mouse in officially and it be recognized.

zooted heh fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 25, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

zooted heh posted:

the moment when you buy a xim and you realise that ppl can opt out of playing with you and your stuck playing with pc players.

The game tells you what console your on and what controller your using.

a XIM is detected in-game as a controller so.... no?

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

a XIM is detected in-game as a controller so.... no?

Yeah I just realized that I'm dumb

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

Thoughts after about 3.5 hours.

-Shooting feels fantastic. It's so viscerally satisfying. I honestly can't think of a game that has a better feel to the guns
-movement is also fantastic. It's a really nice middle ground between weightier stuff like Siege and faster stuff like COD and TF2. Feels deliberate without being cumbersome.
-Sound effects are also great
-I like the art direction. It's a breath of fresh air after how wacky COD has been for a while. Gives me light MGS vibes.
-Graphics are fine. No complaints at all but other than the lighting being somewhat better it looks pretty much like any COD
-positional sound is awful. They really need to work on that because the audio can be super misleading.
-2v2 is actually a lot of fun as long as you have someone to play with. It seemed dumb at first but I will definitely play this mode although I wouldn't make it my main thing.

The positional sound flaw is a HUGE negative for me buuuut I am so hyped for this game it’s ridiculous lmao

The alpha is still going right? I have zero interest in 2v2 but I guess it’s worth trying just to feel the gameplay and check everything out.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm delighted that shotguns are viable primaries again. Although the double-barrel variants seem to be wildly inconsistent, played a round last night where I shot a guy in the face from about 6 feet away and he was somehow able to kill me with a pistol, then on the next round I got 1-shotted from basically across the map. The pump shotgun gives me MW2 SPAS vibes though. The 2v2 mode does absolutely nothing for me but I'm looking forward to playing the beta.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah shotguns look sick in this game

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is the alpha over? I can open it but it just sits at “searching for a match” forever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm delighted that shotguns are viable primaries again. Although the double-barrel variants seem to be wildly inconsistent, played a round last night where I shot a guy in the face from about 6 feet away and he was somehow able to kill me with a pistol, then on the next round I got 1-shotted from basically across the map. The pump shotgun gives me MW2 SPAS vibes though. The 2v2 mode does absolutely nothing for me but I'm looking forward to playing the beta.

So far my thoughts on shotguns are that the pump shotgun absolutely owns bones, I can't stand that scoped shotgun and the double barrel is too inconsistent but fun when it lands.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
The physics seem a little exaggerated with bodies and the guns in particular spinning at 90 miles an hour after being dropped but I kind of dig it.

https://i.imgur.com/rfViRbA.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/6DJV5AZ.gifv

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 25, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I love it; it's pure movie physics.

Watching a rifle or deagle cartwheel through the air when you kill a dude is just the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
man the animations in this game are sick