Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Same question really, with this new API we have to use, what are the privacy implications of all this now? Is Google able to better track us now, I'm not a fan of making things easier for Google.
Anything Alphabet does is in the name of tracking people, as that's how they make the vast majority of their revenue.
Why do you think they invented QUIC rather than using SCTP(over UDP, optionally) when the reference implementation for that has existed in FreeBSD since version 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My question is why should we have to make our own API keys. Why can't someone just make a new one for the script, and replace the old one?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

My question is why should we have to make our own API keys. Why can't someone just make a new one for the script, and replace the old one?

Probably because there are limits to how much each key can be used before Google wants money for it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Powered Descent posted:

So if everyone will be using their own API key for this now, then that means we're identifying ourselves to Google (or at the very least handing them a nice clear fingerprint) every time we load a page, anywhere on the Internet, that has a youtube link? Yikes.

That ship has kinda sailed my dude. This forum doesn't work if you block ajax.googleapis.com so google already knows you are reading this thread.

Kheldarn posted:

I will PM the API key I made to anyone that wants it. Google can track all of us together. (Warning: possibly that means *I* could theoretically track what videos people watch, but I don't know if it works like that and can't be bothered to figure it out. Anyways, I won't look.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Klyith posted:

That ship has kinda sailed my dude. This forum doesn't work if you block ajax.googleapis.com so google already knows you are reading this thread.

Yes, but if you weren't logged in to google, or were using first-party isolation, then it's a lot harder for google to correlate those requests into their profile of you. Now, every time you visit a page with a youtube link, even if you don't play any of the videos, you're telling google "hi, this is the owner of API key #12345-23456, also known as my-real-name@gmail.com, please give me the title and thumbnail image for the following videos". And then, because you looked at a few discussions in D&D, they start to assume you're a Trump fan, because he features so heavily in your requests. And if you go to forums.your-odd-fetish.com, if anyone posts youtube links, suddenly they know you're into [whatever]. They don't even need to fingerprint you to figure out who you are, you're handing them your identity with every single request. This happens whether you're logged in to google or not, and despite any anti-tracking measures you've taken. Even if you make a brand-new google account for the api key, unless you're very careful, it's still going to be highly correlatable to you.

Apologies for the :tinfoil:, but it's never safe to assume Google isn't tracking the hell out of you.

Kheldarn posted:

This would be the best solution (assuming there are no per-key traffic limits or anything like that), but unless the original author of the script comes back and does this in the official code, good luck getting everyone in the world who uses Youtube Link Title to agree on which key to use.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ola posted:

Probably because there are limits to how much each key can be used before Google wants money for it.

Hmm... that's a possibility I didn't think of.

Powered Descent posted:

This would be the best solution (assuming there are no per-key traffic limits or anything like that), but unless the original author of the script comes back and does this in the official code, good luck getting everyone in the world who uses Youtube Link Title to agree on which key to use.

From what I can tell, nobody's done it. If someone does it, and uploads it to GitHub/GreasyFork/etc, and announces it on Reddit before anyone else, chances are it'll be the one everyone uses. But then again, it's the internet, and it could just as easily go a different way...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Powered Descent posted:

Apologies for the :tinfoil:, but it's never safe to assume Google isn't tracking the hell out of you.

Its not tinfoil at all. What kind of idiot doesn't think that at this point?

2013 - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/14/google-gmail-users-privacy-email-lawsuit
2014 - https://www.salon.com/2014/03/26/big_brother_is_here_google_mass_surveillance_and_the_rise_of_the_internet_of_things_partner/

2013 - https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-googles-spying-on-use_b_3530296

quote:

Let's start with data collection itself. While the legal basis for the NSA collection has been challenged, both the courts and Congressional Committees overseeing the collection have generally approved the program. Compare that to companies like Google, which have violated the law repeatedly to collect user data.

Google's illegal "wi-spy" program of collecting user data over home wi-fi hubs using its Street View cars has led to investigations and fines for violations of the law in countries around the world. Investigators were outraged when they reviewed the downloaded data and found Google had collected massive amounts of personal emails and data revealing everything from people's medical histories to their sexual preference to marital infidelity. (Google's defense that that it was all okay because they never looked at the illegally collected data is eerily similar to the NSA's).

When challenged on its illegal data collection, the company lied and stonewalled investigators around the world, with the Federal Communications Commission finding the company guilty of "willfully" ignoring subpoenas to delay investigations into the scandal, fining the company in a 25-page condemnation in April 2012 that concluded "Google's failure to cooperate with the Bureau was in many or all cases deliberate."

None of this is todays news. People need to get this through their heads.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
Is anyone aware of any decent Iridium alternatives now that the developer has put development on hold indefinitely? I don't think there's anything that has broken yet (or I just don't watch much Youtube), but knowing Google sooner or later it surely will.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Doesn't TorBrowser do everything that people are using Iridium and such for?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Fangs404 posted:

That was my question as well. Notifications are built into Gmail.

Really? Never got one until I installed an addon.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I'm assuming you need to keep a gmail tab open for that to work.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
You need to manually enable notifications under Gear Icon -> Settings -> Desktop Notifications. You need to click the special "enable" link and accept the browser notification permission request in addition to setting which notifications you receive. If you do that it should work even when you don't have a Gmail tab open.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Can you delete or mark as read from those toasts?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is there anything wrong with Thunderbird or SeaMonkey, out of curiosity?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

D. Ebdrup posted:

Is there anything wrong with Thunderbird or SeaMonkey, out of curiosity?

Well, there will definitely be some bumps in the road if you use Thunderbird due to the pending removal of XUL. I still maintain a couple TB add-ons and it's moderately annoying keeping them working. Aside from that, TB actually seems to be doing fairly well and there are actual paid engineers working on it again.

I'm honestly not even sure if Seamonkey is still maintained...

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thunderbird is still alive? :confused: I thought Mozilla pulled the plug on that and it was only on life support from unpaid volunteers.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The relationship between Mozilla and Thunderbird is fairly tenuous (though Thunderbird still uses most of Mozilla's infrastructure), but Thunderbird gets enough from donations to have a few paid engineers working on things. One big thing that helped is that a couple years back, Mozilla and Thunderbird agreed to set up a donation system where you can donate to Thunderbird specifically, rather than Mozilla as a whole.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I've been happily using Thunderbird for many years now. It's nice and stable, and it can't need THAT much maintenance. Email isn't really a moving target like the Web can be.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm honestly not even sure if Seamonkey is still maintained...

I still see some activity:

https://blog.seamonkey-project.org/

I've never used it though. Can't imagine there's much interest in the 2019 version of Netscape Navigator.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

rujasu posted:

I still see some activity:

https://blog.seamonkey-project.org/

I've never used it though. Can't imagine there's much interest in the 2019 version of Netscape Navigator.
The FreeBSD package was deleted just this July with a rather sensible though depressing reason.

EDIT: Found the issue being tracked by their BugZilla. It's not looking much better, either.. :(

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 24, 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

rujasu posted:

2019 version of Netscape Navigator.

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. This is really bizarre.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Similar to how FreeBSD (and the other BSDs) is the OS of Theseus, SeaMonkey is the Browser of Theseus.
SeaMonkey (and Firefox, of course) has a direct lineage going back through Netscape Navigator and NCSA Mosaic to libwww, which is the first dynamic library written by Tim Berners Lee to build browsers upon.

Like the Ship of Theseus, not a single individual part that's in the code today can be traced back to the original versions of either FreeBSD or Firefox if you were to examine their sources as they are now (though with comments it's sometimes easier).
The only way to prove this is to do what I and other nerds have done, ie. manually go source code spelunking through version control systems (if they're available; if not you have to do a lot more footwork to compare source code).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 24, 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
:lol: so I played with seamonkey and then tangentedc 2019 Vandelay Industries LLCoff to other things and left it open. An hour later I open taskmgr for something unrelated, and find that it's chewing anywhere between about 14-23% cpu, averaging pretty much the median, 18%.

FE: So my hilarious little copyright joke lead me to google Vandelay Industries LLC (the llc matters), and welp...

(I'm sure I've googled it before but apparently not for a good long while)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hipster_Doofus posted:

FE: So my hilarious little copyright joke lead me to google Vandelay Industries LLC (the llc matters), and welp...

(I'm sure I've googled it before but apparently not for a good long while)

And? Don't leave us hanging.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so the last read function on these forums has been kind of weird for me of late. basically, when i click the box with the number of posts i haven't read, the viewport lands on a post that i have read--usually a few posts above the earliest post i haven't read. this has been happening on every thread.

any ideas?

e: think it might have to do with tweets loading. seems like pages where there are no tweets place me correctly, but ones with tweets do not. any idea how to fix that?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 2, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

abelwingnut posted:

so the last read function on these forums has been kind of weird for me of late. basically, when i click the box with the number of posts i haven't read, the viewport lands on a post that i have read--usually a few posts above the earliest post i haven't read. this has been happening on every thread.

any ideas?

e: think it might have to do with tweets loading. seems like pages where there are no tweets place me correctly, but ones with tweets do not. any idea how to fix that?

Yeah, it's embedded tweets causing the issue. The only fix is to enable Tracking Protection for the forums, which will make the tweets just be links instead of embeds. Otherwise, after the page loads, just hit ALT+D to go to the address bar, and then hit ENTER, and it'll put you where you should be.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Twitter. Constantly ruining everything :argh:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Speaking of which, ublock origin seemed to stop blocking "promoted tweets" lately :( anyone know a fix or is this my punishment for using twitter?

edit: this addon seems to be working so far: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/unpromote-twitter/

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 2, 2019

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, it's embedded tweets causing the issue. The only fix is to enable Tracking Protection for the forums, which will make the tweets just be links instead of embeds. Otherwise, after the page loads, just hit ALT+D to go to the address bar, and then hit ENTER, and it'll put you where you should be.

Team CTRL+L for life.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - the only fix for Twitter is Tweetdeck and hoping they'll keep not remembering that they own it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Just had a bug where users on mobile firefox were not able to upload multiple images while uploading a single image worked. Weird. Spent 30min debugging to find out, well, that just something that has been broken since April of last year (well technically April 2017).

E: ugh pressed send.

What happens is that mobile firefox can apparently only handle one file at a time. If it gets handed multiple files by the file explorer, it instead falls back to a single 0 byte file located at c:/fakefile/{TIMESTAMP}.jpg that breaks the javascript.
Thanks mozilla.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 2, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Firefox 69:huh: is out, which means that anyone who likes using userchrome.css needs to

WattsvilleBlues posted:

set the toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets preference to true to restore this ability.

But also it now has a new Enhanced Autoplay Blocking which allows you to block autoplaying video even if it's mute which is very cool. I've definitely noticed a trend on some websites to have every drat story icon be a video (the ex-gawker sites are really bad with this). To change this go to Privacy & Security in the Options menu, scroll down to Permissions, and check the Autoplay settings. Set it to "block audio and video" if you want to halt all those dumb video thumbnails.

Plus some other improvements including one that should improve battery and/or multiprocessing on Win10 by changing priority of content threads.

And in other news, Mozilla has announced that they won't be following Google's change to extensions that will cripple ad-blocking. Hooray! :toot:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Klyith posted:

Firefox 69:huh: is out, which means that anyone who likes using userchrome.css needs to

If you're already using userChrome (or userContent), it should flip the pref for you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Klyith posted:

But also it now has a new Enhanced Autoplay Blocking which allows you to block autoplaying video even if it's mute which is very cool. I've definitely noticed a trend on some websites to have every drat story icon be a video (the ex-gawker sites are really bad with this). To change this go to Privacy & Security in the Options menu, scroll down to Permissions, and check the Autoplay settings. Set it to "block audio and video" if you want to halt all those dumb video thumbnails.

Thank gently caress. I couldn't believe it didn't do this already.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Klyith posted:

Plus some other improvements including one that should improve battery and/or multiprocessing on Win10 by changing priority of content threads.

And in other news, Mozilla has announced that they won't be following Google's change to extensions that will cripple ad-blocking. Hooray! :toot:

I still use Chrome on my desktop out of habit but the video thing will get me there full time, I think.

Firefox surpassed Chrome with regard to being usable on phones ages ago, and I'm kinda looking forward to it being my daily driver again on desktop.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

This is about drat time and really good news. gently caress ads and autoplaying videos.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Does the final release build also have the picture-in-picture stuff, or is that still just in the beta channel? I love that feature.

Also, Firefox 70 in the beta channel has very noticeably faster page loads for me. Since web devs need to be saved from their own hubris, Mozilla ended up creating a second JavaScript interpreter that sits between their standard interpreter and their JIT engine. Web frameworks are so stupidly large now that JIT takes a while to complete, which also causes problems when it has to throw JIT code out for whatever reason. Instead of falling back to a slow initial interpreter, it can now fall back to this faster interpreter that has saved metadata and cache information.

The article about it is here:
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/08/the-baseline-interpreter-a-faster-js-interpreter-in-firefox-70/

I have actually noticed a substantial speed improvement in loading gmail.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mobile doesn't even get 69, they released 68.1 for Android.
It's the beginning of the end for the mobile version. What with them working on that other app for mobile, that will no doubt be full of extremely Mozilla choices.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Geemer posted:

Mobile doesn't even get 69, they released 68.1 for Android.
It's the beginning of the end for the mobile version. What with them working on that other app for mobile, that will no doubt be full of extremely Mozilla choices.

Firefox Preview is actually quite nice on Android. Have you tried it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I've been trying it, it is pretty nice (other than the inevitable beta software bugs). It feels quite a bit faster on some sites like Twitter. Still wishing they'll enable extensions soon, though.