Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I play better when I take my vyvanze. I also have more anxiety and my hands are ice cubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Super Rad posted:

You don't know what you're talking about, speed is the street name for amphetamine, adderrall is amphetamine. Amphetamines are the only active compound in adderall (yes it's a racemic mix but if that mattered then they'd be on Dexedrine anyways which isn't racemic). Adderall is literally rx speed. It affects people with ADD differently than normal people which is why it is prescribed to people with ADD and that is why to people it is prescribed it doesn't feel like a drug to them because it alleviates their ADD symptoms, for everyone else it's a very potent stimulant.

Yeah I know all of this. Point still stands, but do go off king

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Remember when they canceled the Philippines major because duterte was prosecuting doping esports players

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Nasgate posted:

You said there were 'other chemicals' - the gently caress are you talking about?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

http://www.center4research.org/study-drug-abuse-college-students/

quote:

How many of these pills are used to treat ADHD? A study of more than 10,000 college students from across the country found that more than half of students with an Adderall or other ADHD drug prescription were asked to sell the medication to peers and friends.[4] Almost every student who abuses these drugs in college gets the drug from a friend or classmate with ADHD.[1] One study of students at Bates College, a small Maine liberal arts college, found that one in every three students had abused Adderall at some point.[5] In contrast, a national study of 10,000 students found that approximately 7% had abused “study drugs,” although the percentage varied at different colleges.

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/adderall/adderall-abuse-among-college-students

quote:

Innocently enough, the main cause for Adderall abuse is linked to academics. Students claim the drug helps them focus when they are staying up late studying. The benefits carry over into exam taking, as well. Some users say they experience an improved attention span and find themselves better able to concentrate. These elements make it one of the most popular drugs that is used today on college campuses. It helps explains why the largest age range of people who are abusing the drug without a prescription or medical need, are 18-to-25-year-old young adults.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if a lot of the students using adderall illegally to help them study actually have undiagnosed ADD. I wasn't diagnosed with it until I was 20, and it was only because I went into counseling for depression that they realized what the actual thing wrong with my brain was.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if a lot of the students using adderall illegally to help them study actually have undiagnosed ADD. I wasn't diagnosed with it until I was 20, and it was only because I went into counseling for depression that they realized what the actual thing wrong with my brain was.

Certainly possible. But, the key takeaway here is that, regardless of your personal anecdotal evidence of your relationship with adderall, there is just no argument to be had that it's not incredibly commonly abused for the explicit purpose of performing better on studying and test-taking. It's not "one or two people," it's a lot of people

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Certainly possible. But, the key takeaway here is that, regardless of your personal anecdotal evidence of your relationship with adderall, there is just no argument to be had that it's not incredibly commonly abused for the explicit purpose of performing better on studying and test-taking. It's not "one or two people," it's a lot of people

I never said one or two people though

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

I never said one or two people though

I was referring to this guy

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

That you knew a dude or three in college that used it to stay up later for crunch times is beside the point because it's an entirely different situation.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Yeah but some of us actually take adderall. You're not going to convince me it does something it doesn't do.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I was referring to this guy

oh ok, you quoted me so I thought that's what you were responding to

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if there will be a third hero announcement tonight? Maybe the mind control hero?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be surprised if a number of players had a legit ADHD scrip tbh

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Nasgate posted:

He tabbed over to wikipedia so fast he didn't fully read your reply

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goatface posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a number of players had a legit ADHD scrip tbh

dota is not a game for the impatient

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But it is a game for people who are medicated to not be.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Super Rad posted:

You said there were 'other chemicals' - the gently caress are you talking about?

Look at this guy that somehow doesn't know anything about street drugs.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goatface posted:

But it is a game for people who are medicated to not be.

cheaters

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Nasgate posted:

Look at this guy that somehow doesn't know anything about street drugs.

No it's you - how about you be specific and tell me what other chemicals than amphetamines are in speed. Seriously just name some, please.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can we stop this dumb drug talk?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Is studying and test-taking the same as playing Dota? One is designed to be engaging and stimulating because video games are just raw addiction machines while the other isn't. Yeah, adderall for studying is practically a meme, but is its effects actually helpful in a vastly more stimulating environment? I don't know man, just watch some loving Dota.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Turncoat Mommy posted:

Is studying and test-taking the same as playing Dota? One is designed to be engaging and stimulating because video games are just raw addiction machines while the other isn't. Yeah, adderall for studying is practically a meme, but is its effects actually helpful in a vastly more stimulating environment? I don't know man, just watch some loving Dota.

I'd like to see a study that actually proves a positive impact on test results for non ADHD havers. Being able to spend more time last minute to turn in homework is obviously useful. But the lack of sleep/healthy sleep also makes memory retention worse.

Super Rad posted:

No it's you - how about you be specific and tell me what other chemicals than amphetamines are in speed. Seriously just name some, please.

Brother, we have an entire subforum to tell you what to cut your supply with. I won't give your "no you" the satisfaction of an actual response.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Nasgate posted:

Brother, we have an entire subforum to tell you what to cut your supply with. I won't give your "no you" the satisfaction of an actual response.

Yeah I've had a thread on that subforum named after a post of mine, I'm certain I know more on this topic than you which is why you won't give anything more of a response than vague bullshit. Other drugs like ecstacy gets cut with amphetamines, amphetamines themselves don't really get cut with other active ingredients that would alter their effect, perhaps inactive ingredients because dealers are greedy, but nothing that would differentiate the effects from Rx Dexedrine.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i prefer to shove vyvanse up my rear end than adderall xr when i play dota gives me more of an edge the extended release jsut doesn't do it yknow?

e

Super Rad posted:

Yeah I've had a thread on that subforum named after a post of mine,

fuckin yikes dude

i got a baguette, a block of brie, and im ready for some DOTA TONIGHT

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 25, 2019

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
me realizing this is what the thread is gonna talk about for the next 3 hours

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
This arguing also assumes that it isn't just whining from teams who feel they under-performed against a team they feel didn't deserve the win. I don't know, we should just all be chanting "USA" for the Liquid vs LGD game.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
VP is actually the team that looked super cracked out at last TI iirc. I can't remember the clip but I remember the camera crew following them around after a game and a few players looked like corpses.

I don't think there is any way to visually tell if a player is methed out or just really feeling the pressure/adrenaline after a huge game. I also think that even the idea that adderall or something else might make you better is really dangerous because of course some 19 year old kid is going to eat a bunch of it to maybe win millions of dollars

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Oh man I'm medicated on prozac I could absolutely beat these nerds in TI

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

we live boys!

in the moonduck studios with sunsfan and zyori!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

i prefer to shove vyvanse up my rear end than adderall xr when i play dota gives me more of an edge the extended release jsut doesn't do it yknow?

e

fuckin yikes dude

Baguette DotA best DotA

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Super Rad posted:

Yeah I've had a thread on that subforum named after a post of mine, I'm certain I know more on this topic than you which is why you won't give anything more of a response than vague bullshit. Other drugs like ecstacy gets cut with amphetamines, amphetamines themselves don't really get cut with other active ingredients that would alter their effect, perhaps inactive ingredients because dealers are greedy, but nothing that would differentiate the effects from Rx Dexedrine.

Ah, so you've done enough drugs that you've lost basic understanding of chemistry in addition to the English language. Inactive ingredient doesn't mean what you seem to think it means and you've also completely ignored dosage and means of intake. But please, continue with your Mom's Against Drugs talking points in the DotA thread.

sugar free jazz posted:

we live boys!

I had the chance to go to their shindig here in Denver but they didn't specify what talent "not invited to TI" would be there. Glad to see I made the right choice to stay home and day drink. Though now I want a baguette.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

we live boys!

Say hi to d2bowie and Moxxi from me: ponchis

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Can you all just submit your chemistry diplomas or pharmacology credentials or get the gently caress out please

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
We don’t...do the same drugs no more..

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-adderall-is-used-in-esports-2015-7

quote:

So, what does Adderall do?

It's used to "help people with ADHD [Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder] feel more focused," according to a study published in Brain and Behavior. If you have ADHD, Adderall aims to help calm you down and focus on the world in front of you.

If you don't have ADHD, Adderall can help you stay up all night cramming for an exam or jamming on a thesis paper, with its speed-like effects keeping you awake and energized.
And it's this that draws eSports players into the world of PEDs: Adderall could enable eSports players to play for longer, more consistently, and with greater ability. Or so they believe.

In reality, any perceived performance benefits may be due, at least in part, to the placebo effect.

As the Brain and Behavior paper points out, Adderall is "more effective at correcting deficits than 'enhancing performance,'" making it relatively redundant for high performers like professional eSports players.

And while there's limited evidence suggesting Adderall might help people with "cognitive control," there's no proven effect from Adderall on "working memory," as multiple studies show. What's "working memory?" As Loria puts it: It's "the ability to hold and manipulate different pieces of information simultaneously." That's what might impact eSports players most — but that's not where they would see any real changes.

In fact, Adderall's clearest benefits for people without ADHD are with rote memorization, an effect that would have no impact on pro-level eSports players, who have long since memorized the ins and outs of their particular game of choice. Worse? Adderall is an amphetamine - a stimulant that releases dopamine in the brain - making it rather addictive, and sometimes dangerous. As repeated use builds up a tolerance in users, more is required to achieve the same effect.

So, what are eSports players getting from Adderall use? For players without actual ADHD, any significant performance-enhancing effect would be negligible in terms of the drug's active ingredients — but the placebo effect may be strong enough to make it meaningful. All that to say: Even if it isn't chemically impacting users, the strong placebo effects may be enough to keep it in vogue.

There. Even if they were being taken they wouldn't let OG do the fat ganks but there's the possibility it could help with endurance. Perhaps we'll see during these grand finals. Perhaps N0tail will trip on his way to the booth and drop fifty little pills out his pockets.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Actually what the gently caress were those vitamins that Maybe was taking during GF last year? They showed it a bunch during the True Sight

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Actually what the gently caress were those vitamins that Maybe was taking during GF last year? They showed it a bunch during the True Sight

The good poo poo

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
OG was injecting weed and that allowed them their strategic edge over their opponents.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Excuse you. They beat Secrets lovely knockoff Io strat.
Though this makes me hope they beat LGD so their overconfidence lets through Ana Io in the finals.

Yeah rewatching Liquid vs Secret: Secrets draft blew chunks in terms of cohesion with Io

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

eg drugged up with monster Energy tm

they lost cuz monster sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sugar free jazz posted:

I got a pound of brisket, garlic mash, and some honey glazed cornbread I am READY for the first repeat champion to happen

Rollin with Liquid tonight, ft. the OG boys because three games from ana and notail will probably score more than five from mind_control and gh