Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

its incredibly ownage that one of their players is like "hey I'm gonna take a break guys", they're all like "yeah okay, have fun buddy", then just gently caress around for the whole season doing nothing of note, then get back together right before TI and loving win it again

what absolute gods

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tha_Joker_GAmer posted:

loving shadowfiend

For real. ICEFROG PLEASE BUFF HIM

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Carrier posted:

Ana is the biggest chad in esports. Fucks about all year, comes back for the biggest tournament, yolo plays a fuckin IO carry cause he wants to, proceeds to destroy any other teams chances of out drafting OG and lifts the aegis.

That they didn't even practice- not that it's the hardest strat in the world tbf. Niceguy ana even didn't buyback to let liquid have one win in the GF. Too kind

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This was a good TI, but I have to be real: TI8 grand finals. Game 4. Was a legit out of body experience I had. It was just insane being there in person

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Estraysian posted:

now where's my roster shuffle drama

where's the fiend at this year!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
TI8 finals were better but these owned in a different way

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah TI8 was far more of a screaming finals but this one was satisfying in its own way.

I just wish LGD didn't loving mess up cause OG LGD finals was my ideal match

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just watched game 1 of the finals, wtf.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This was a good TI, but I have to be real: TI8 grand finals. Game 4. Was a legit out of body experience I had. It was just insane being there in person

Oh yeah. My team won, that was a FUN AS gently caress set with so many highlights, but Ceb's call and the turnaround in game 4 of TI was a moment of a lifetime. I don't know enough about real sports to come up with a comparison... but it was a moment

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fluke TI

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jen X posted:

TI8 finals were better but these owned in a different way

:hai:

Does anyone have any good pictures of the boys after they won? I want to use a full team shot.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I also think that being mediocre for most of the year and barely qualifying is actually kind of an OG strat, back when they were winning majors back to back Icefrog just nerfed their strategies into the ground so when TI came around they were at a severe disadvantage. Now they kind of fly under the radar and when it's time to perform they unleash their true skill.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Taffer posted:

its incredibly ownage that one of their players is like "hey I'm gonna take a break guys", they're all like "yeah okay, have fun buddy", then just gently caress around for the whole season doing nothing of note, then get back together right before TI and loving win it again

it's wild because part of me looks at that Gyro play, and I think "it can't be that hard to come up with 'applying mana burn to a lot of heroes is good' right?" and yet it's this brand new thing that just wrecks, and now OG are back-to-back TI winners, and it can't be that loving easy, right?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

parabolic posted:

kaci is pure

https://i.imgur.com/zpqF22k.gifv

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
TI8 was the emotional rollercoaster, TI9 was the clowny merry-go-round

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
As a partisan OG fan, as much as I enjoyed these, the TI8 grand final was unquestionably better as a game.

This one was far funnier, and I had a ton of fun watching them just run at Liquid like madmen, but the TI8 final was much more intense and swingy.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Original_Z posted:

I also think that being mediocre for most of the year and barely qualifying is actually kind of an OG strat, back when they were winning majors back to back Icefrog just nerfed their strategies into the ground so when TI came around they were at a severe disadvantage. Now they kind of fly under the radar and when it's time to perform they unleash their true skill.

They're also rich enough without anything to prove, as long as they get invited to TI they can afford to gently caress around and save up their :effort: for TI. ana literally took 6 months off!

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

In Ti8 you had that incredible Ceb Axe call, and I believe there was an amazing Jerax Echoslam as well, but I forget if that was GF.

What's so cool about this entire Ti9 is that OG didn't just win the games, they basically broke DOTA2. Io carry, diffusal Gyro, fountain dives all that nonsense. OG isn't even playing the same game as the rest of the teams.

that game two was the platonic ideal of playing dota with your friends

HE SHOWED UP ON THE MINIMAP LETS GO MURDER EM

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I feel like this TI was basically OG proving to the world that they are the best team in Dota, and even if they all quit Dota forever tomorrow, they would be so for quite some time.

just loving lol at all the idiots going OG winning TI was a fluke last year

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Majestic posted:

When I say "might not be the best" I mean "might not literally be the #1 player in the world based on raw mechanics", not "is not good".

I wouldn't say he's more impressive mechanically then Ana for instance, but the ability to play at the highest level across multiple roles has no real equivalent in the game.

Eh, Kuroky was voted the best carry in the world in 2008. He's certainly up there.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TheRat posted:

Eh, Kuroky was voted the best carry in the world in 2008. He's certainly up there.

let me know he wins to TIs

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

Just watched game 1 of the finals, wtf.

Oh man are you in for a treat.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

lol

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zyla posted:

that game two was the platonic ideal of playing dota with your friends

HE SHOWED UP ON THE MINIMAP LETS GO MURDER EM

Seriously, it was the best game I've ever watched, but there wasn't like a stand out highlight play. Not that it wasn't amazing, but it there was no lynch pin moment.

It's sad that even though in a Ti GF you get Enigma and Tide you don't get a single standout play, instead you just get jobbed all over the map.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ElNarez posted:

it's wild because part of me looks at that Gyro play, and I think "it can't be that hard to come up with 'applying mana burn to a lot of heroes is good' right?" and yet it's this brand new thing that just wrecks, and now OG are back-to-back TI winners, and it can't be that loving easy, right?

flak cannon does not apply mana burn

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
im so glad the good guys won

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

So Io spirits talent. Does Icefrog:

1) straight up replace it with a different talent
2) move it as-is to level 20
3) buff it and move it to 25

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sampatrick posted:

flak cannon does not apply mana burn

Yeah but doesn't the Agh's attacks? That's 50 mana every 1.1 seconds, along with your normal attack, so that's about 100 mana/sec lost, against a Bristle that wants a long fight, to stack up Quills, it's not good, not good at all.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Seriously, it was the best game I've ever watched, but there wasn't like a stand out highlight play. Not that it wasn't amazing, but it there was no lynch pin moment.

It's sad that even though in a Ti GF you get Enigma and Tide you don't get a single standout play, instead you just get jobbed all over the map.

the entire game was a highlight reel that never ended

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BioThermo posted:

which one

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

BioThermo posted:

none, it'll be a change to the aghs

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s tough because OG really did have a rough year without Ana in the first part of the DPC. They made it to no majors until Ana came back.

But that was the final piece of the puzzle that they needed. Ana.

It’s just incredible

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

not much was mentioned about the abaddon but the sustain from him was off the charts in lane and later on

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah but doesn't the Agh's attacks? That's 50 mana every 1.1 seconds, along with your normal attack, so that's about 100 mana/sec lost, against a Bristle that wants a long fight, to stack up Quills, it's not good, not good at all.

you could even just apply it by hand target by target and still be a threat because the flak hits anyway

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It’s tough because OG really did have a rough year without Ana in the first part of the DPC. They made it to no majors until Ana came back.

But that was the final piece of the puzzle that they needed. Ana.

It’s just incredible

Their strat of topson clowns around and either feeds, carries or both while giving ana space needs an ana to give space to.

Having said that while topson still fed this TI it did seem a lot less and was almost always value one way or another.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You can't actually control what the side gunner hits so you're not getting that guaranteed mana loss from side gunner. Don't get me wrong, it was a really good item pickup, but it wasn't like hero breaking or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
honestly I feel like this TI feels less satisfying than the last one due to how the new patches keep on adding more and more outlandish abilities without any forethought. I mean carry io is fun but that aghs is not well-balanced at all, and tiny is ridiculously strong at all points in the game due to how they keep on changing everything about him.