Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

uli2000 posted:

Activate a BOYD line online gets you $250/line rebate for new lines. You have to do an unlimited plan, don't need the device payment plan, and it can be pretty much any device that works on Verizon. Buy your Pixel 3a from Google (no Verizon bloat) and get an extra $50/line.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/bring-your-own-device/
I am thinking of doing the same but I can't find the details on their site of what exactly are eligible plans or phones so I want to double check. They have a section called prepaid unlimited but only one of the options under that is unlimited so I am not sure if I can do this and just pick the $35/mo 6GB plan or I would have to take the $65 unlimited one?

If I can take the cheaper plans can I port my family's 4 lines to a family plan and get $250 for each?

edit: Am I right in that all the prepaid and gounlimited can be deprioritized and I would need beyondunlimited to avoid it?

CampingCarl fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CampingCarl posted:

I am thinking of doing the same but I can't find the details on their site of what exactly are eligible plans or phones so I want to double check. They have a section called prepaid unlimited but only one of the options under that is unlimited so I am not sure if I can do this and just pick the $35/mo 6GB plan or I would have to take the $65 unlimited one?

If I can take the cheaper plans can I port my family's 4 lines to a family plan and get $250 for each?

edit: Am I right in that all the prepaid and gounlimited can be deprioritized and I would need beyondunlimited to avoid it?

Beyond unlimited is the first plan that guarantees not being potentially prioritized , correct. Prepaid does not have an option other than deprioritized.

Prepaid doesn’t qualify for pretty much any promos. The monthly rate is the promo.

If you want the $250, you have to do postpaid.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Duckman2008 posted:

The XL plan is gone for new customers, sometimes current customers on a 8GB plan (like yourself) can qualify, but it does vary. Call customer care (or call loyalty) and ask. I would offer to check, but I’m on vacation for 7 days so I won’t be able to.

I just did this, after spending $15/GB for the last three months. Now I have 16GB that I’ll never use. Thanks for the tip, I didn’t realize that I’d spend more for unlimited, and be potentially lower tiered on data. Almost like....like they don’t want you to know....

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Right now I’ve been paying all but $1 of my bill with my CC to get the points and letting it auto debit the $1 from my actual debit card.

If I switch the whole auto payment to my CC but leave my debit card on file, will they yank my autopay discount?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

EconOutlines posted:

Right now I’ve been paying all but $1 of my bill with my CC to get the points and letting it auto debit the $1 from my actual debit card.

If I switch the whole auto payment to my CC but leave my debit card on file, will they yank my autopay discount?

I can't say specifically but I have no clue why that'd matter, generally autopay discounts are given as it ensures you're paying in full and on time. I don't think payment method has anything to do with it.

Nvm, checked their website. Still not sure in your case, but weird.

Reddit is saying it worked as of last year though.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 2, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EconOutlines posted:

I’m surprised that was working. Honesty, no idea. Worst case , try it for a month, and if it doesn’t work you’re out one month of auto pay discount.

If you do that please post the results so I can start doing the same. I currently don’t bother with auto pay because I use my credit card, but if I can basically get $10 off a month for just registering my debit card I’ll do that for sure.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

These new plans are confusing. The value comparison between the top and bottom-end plans is clear for sure, but I had to really study the chart to figure out what exactly is different between "do more" and "play more."

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Welp at work it sounds like we might be leaving Verizon Wireless.

TMobile cold called the owner and offered a deal that was simply too good to ignore, straight up $20,000 per year less than Verizon Wireless.

After some testing, their coverage seems to be comparable in our area... so Verizon really has to step up to the plate here.

Thankfully a good bit of our hardware is compatible, so just new SIMs and APN settings, and voicemail setups are needed. But still not looking forward to such a migration with 70ish users.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

stevewm posted:

Welp at work it sounds like we might be leaving Verizon Wireless.

TMobile cold called the owner and offered a deal that was simply too good to ignore, straight up $20,000 per year less than Verizon Wireless.

After some testing, their coverage seems to be comparable in our area... so Verizon really has to step up to the plate here.

Thankfully a good bit of our hardware is compatible, so just new SIMs and APN settings, and voicemail setups are needed. But still not looking forward to such a migration with 70ish users.

I'm excited to see how it goes for you. We just evaluated T-Mobile vs Verizon Wireless at my company.

The price ended up being more expensive at T-Mobile. But I am thinking its because of our discount. Turns out we've been Verizon customers for ~25 years. So we have 24% for our discount.

Let me know if the coverage ends up being alright for you. We kept VZW because (other than price) we need the service to work out in the boonies.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

I'm excited to see how it goes for you. We just evaluated T-Mobile vs Verizon Wireless at my company.

The price ended up being more expensive at T-Mobile. But I am thinking its because of our discount. Turns out we've been Verizon customers for ~25 years. So we have 24% for our discount.

Let me know if the coverage ends up being alright for you. We kept VZW because (other than price) we need the service to work out in the boonies.

We have been with them since at least 2002 (possibly earlier). And our discount is 22%.. But T-Mobile's offer is still less than half of what we pay Verizon currently.

T-Mobile sent us a test phone. Our sales guys have been taking it around our territory and haven't had any issues except for one area.. But that area isn't great for Verizon either. So..

Verizon was given 2 weeks to come back with a better or close offer, or otherwise we are switching it appears.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It would be so helpful if Verizon put up something that would allow you to plug in the new plans and see if you can save any money without scaring you into thinking you've changed your plan and then can't change it back.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You can do it on the website?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You can do it on the website?

I tried earlier to see what would happen going from Beyond Unlimited to Play More Unlimited and all I accomplished was finding out that once you select Play More Unlimited on the Manage Your Plan subpage that it'd make it look like you just changed your plan without authorizing or confirming any changes to your account.

I also saw no evidence of the "free unlimited 5G data" promo that I saw in the earlier pictures showing the plans, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's only for new subscribers and all of us existing customers can go screw.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 6, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I tried earlier to see what would happen going from Beyond Unlimited to Play More Unlimited and all I accomplished was finding out that once you select Play More Unlimited on the Manage Your Plan subpage that it'd make it look like you just changed your plan without authorizing or confirming any changes to your account.

I also saw no evidence of the "free unlimited 5G data" promo that I saw in the earlier pictures showing the plans, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's only for new subscribers and all of us existing customers can go screw.

I got your PM, I glanced at your plan today, I’ll look at it more in depth hopefully tomorrow. My store is short staffed , so if I forget please remind me.

The free 5G requires a 5G phone. So you plan, like almost everyone , doesn’t have a 5G phone, so it won’t provision that feature (why provision something that can’t be used).

Yeah, Verizon can always do better on plan transparency, and lord knows they can do better on plan naming. I’m sure they make it vague on purpose. On the plus side, making it vague keeps me employed.

I’m surprised you want to do play unlimited versus do unlimited. When I looked at the plans I assumed more people would want Do, but then again, I don’t stream much video so what do I know.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I got your PM, I glanced at your plan today, I’ll look at it more in depth hopefully tomorrow. My store is short staffed , so if I forget please remind me.

The free 5G requires a 5G phone. So you plan, like almost everyone , doesn’t have a 5G phone, so it won’t provision that feature (why provision something that can’t be used).

Yeah, Verizon can always do better on plan transparency, and lord knows they can do better on plan naming. I’m sure they make it vague on purpose. On the plus side, making it vague keeps me employed.

I’m surprised you want to do play unlimited versus do unlimited. When I looked at the plans I assumed more people would want Do, but then again, I don’t stream much video so what do I know.

I might be persuaded to go with Do over Play. Truth be told I get nowhere near my 22GB cap on Beyond as it stands.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If i were to switch, I’d do Play. I don’t care about the streaming rate, but we already pay for Apple Music and 25 GB would be more than enough.

I assume the 25GB is a shared bucket for a family plan? If it’s individual lines, then it’d be beyond overkill for me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If i were to switch, I’d do Play. I don’t care about the streaming rate, but we already pay for Apple Music and 25 GB would be more than enough.

I assume the 25GB is a shared bucket for a family plan? If it’s individual lines, then it’d be beyond overkill for me.

It's individual lines.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Duckman2008 posted:

they can do better on plan naming

I’m surprised you want to do play unlimited versus do unlimited
I hate their brain damaged marketing people so much. If it was just me on the plan I would bail.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
My iPhone 8+ is doing everything possible to get replaced: sometimes will only charge intermittently, speakers are quiet, and just rough. Does Verizon do a deal before new phones come out in September to unload stock? Or should I wait until the new phones arrive? I don’t mind having an older phone if it saves me dollarydoos.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just wish there was an easy plan comparison. As far as I can tell Play Unlimited is the same as Beyond Unlimited for $5 cheaper and you can get free 5G if you're dumb enough to buy a 5G phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wonderllama posted:

My iPhone 8+ is doing everything possible to get replaced: sometimes will only charge intermittently, speakers are quiet, and just rough. Does Verizon do a deal before new phones come out in September to unload stock? Or should I wait until the new phones arrive? I don’t mind having an older phone if it saves me dollarydoos.

I wouldn’t expect anything crazy. They’ll offer a trade of like $200-300 (I would have to check to get an exact price). Only reason to consider that is that your 8+ is having issues so it lowers its selling market on Swappa or EBay.

Better promos, if they come out for existing customers, occur on iPhone launch (trying to grab early adopter iPhone people) or Black Friday for sure would have something.

Endless Mike posted:

I just wish there was an easy plan comparison. As far as I can tell Play Unlimited is the same as Beyond Unlimited for $5 cheaper and you can get free 5G if you're dumb enough to buy a 5G phone?

There’s a good chart they provided for employees, something like it should come out soon, I’ll update the OP in the next week or so.

Essentially: the prior 3 plans are cheaper, but only with auto pay, and as you will see below they removed a feature or two. For one line:

Old plan: Go Unlimited: $80, $75 with autopay.

New plan: Start unlimited: $80, $70 with autopay. Only difference is they removed slow hotspot speed from this plan

Old plan: Beyond Unlimited: $90, $85 with autopay. unlimited, 22GB premium data, 15GB hotspot, 720 video, Apple Music includes.

They essentially split this plan, so both have removed features:

Play Unlimited: $90, $80 with autopay. 25GB premium data, 15GB hotspot, 720 video, Apple Music

Do More: $90, $80 with autopay. 25GB premium, 15GB hotspot, 480 video, 50% off a tablet or jetpack line.

So essentially, they did lower the plan by $5 as long as you do autopay (which as I’m sure you can guess most customers don’t do), but you essentially have to choose do you want Apple Music and 720 video, or do you want half off a connected line (which of course only makes sense if you have an iPad with a SIM or whatever).

Top plan was Above, getting replaced by Get More. You know the branding is a bit crazy because I keep mixing up Get More and Do More.

Above: $100, $95 , 75GB premium, 15GB hotspot, 720 video, Apple Music,

Get More: $100, $90 with autopay, 75GB premium, 30 GB hotspot, 720 video, Apple Music

Plan comparison:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/unlimited/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Old plan: Beyond Unlimited: $90, $85 with autopay. unlimited, 22GB premium data, 15GB hotspot, 720 video, Apple Music includes.

They essentially split this plan, so both have removed features:

Play Unlimited: $90, $80 with autopay. 25GB premium data, 15GB hotspot, 720 video, Apple Music

Do More: $90, $80 with autopay. 25GB premium, 15GB hotspot, 480 video, 50% off a tablet or jetpack line.

So essentially, they did lower the plan by $5 as long as you do autopay (which as I’m sure you can guess most customers don’t do), but you essentially have to choose do you want Apple Music and 720 video, or do you want half off a connected line (which of course only makes sense if you have an iPad with a SIM or whatever).
Yeah, I'm still not seeing what is different between Play and Beyond unless I'd be losing cloud data I don't use and will never use. Even your two lines there list no difference other than offering slightly more data and being slightly cheaper. The Do More is clearly a different plan and not anything I would want. Here's what the website shows me as a comparison:

I realize this is all intentionally confusing, but it really just looks like I get 3GB more fast data and pay $5 less.

(Also BIG HEADLINE is very right that even comparing plans is really bad UX and makes it look like you're changing without an actual confirmation.)

EDIT: Reddit put together a useful chart on if you should switch. It seems clear that if you're on Beyond you should switch to Play or Do, but if you're on Above it's less clear.
https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/cl8trx/new_plans_should_you_switch/

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 6, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Duckman, your comparison has a mistake — Do More is 50GB of premium data.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
What are the per line charges on each of them? And it looks like apple music is included forever (if listed)? Is that on each line - ie everyone has their own apple music account?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So the start Unlimited plan has no premium data, meaning you're susceptible to throttling during congested times at all times?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

So the start Unlimited plan has no premium data, meaning you're susceptible to throttling during congested times at all times?

Yes, it is essentially the same as Go Unlimited but no throttled hotspot.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Duckman, your comparison has a mistake — Do More is 50GB of premium data.

My bad. It’s been a long week.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I'm still not seeing what is different between Play and Beyond unless I'd be losing cloud data I don't use and will never use. Even your two lines there list no difference other than offering slightly more data and being slightly cheaper. The Do More is clearly a different plan and not anything I would want. Here's what the website shows me as a comparison:

I realize this is all intentionally confusing, but it really just looks like I get 3GB more fast data and pay $5 less.

(Also BIG HEADLINE is very right that even comparing plans is really bad UX and makes it look like you're changing without an actual confirmation.)

EDIT: Reddit put together a useful chart on if you should switch. It seems clear that if you're on Beyond you should switch to Play or Do, but if you're on Above it's less clear.
https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/cl8trx/new_plans_should_you_switch/

The only thing Play doesn’t do is offer discounts on tablets, which most people here won’t be looking for anyway.

Verizon having bad UX wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Keystoned posted:

What are the per line charges on each of them? And it looks like apple music is included forever (if listed)? Is that on each line - ie everyone has their own apple music account?

The per line charge varies based off of how many lines you have. Essentially, as you add more people, the “group discount” is a lower per line charge ($35 for 4 people vs $75 for one person).

On the Play and Get plans Apple Music is included per line (it isn’t expandable to Apple Music family plan, otherwise is exactly what you would think).

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
So if I have the old "pick a size" unlimited plan, three lines, and one of those lines habitually uses 50+GB of hotspot a month, with the other two consuming well over 20GB a month, is it worth it - at all - for me to change to one of these new plans?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Duckman2008 posted:

My bad. It’s been a long week.

In fairness, your employer has made mistakes like this easy to make

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

In fairness, your employer has made mistakes like this easy to make

Almost like they deliberately want to confuse consumers...

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Is there still a plan fee and a per line fee, or did the plan fee go away and get replaced w/ scaling line fees?

When i look at the plan plan for five lines it quotes me $50 ler line for $250 total. Is that right?

Also is there an autopay discount per line and if so what would that be in total.

Can you add more than 5 lines? At some point ill likely add at least one more.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Keystoned posted:

Is there still a plan fee and a per line fee, or did the plan fee go away and get replaced w/ scaling line fees?

When i look at the plan plan for five lines it quotes me $50 ler line for $250 total. Is that right?

Also is there an autopay discount per line and if so what would that be in total.

Can you add more than 5 lines? At some point ill likely add at least one more.
When it says $50/line that’s the total (except taxes and fees).
Autopay discount is $10/line, which is already included in the $50 (that is, before autopay kicks in, its $60/line). It shows the autopay discount in real tiny letters just under the thing where you choose the number of lines.

Now I have two questions: it says something like “after 15 GB mobile hotspot data is throttled to blah blah”

1) is that throttling after 15 GB of hotspot data use, or any data use?
2) if it’s hotspot use, how can you see hotspot use for a line? I can’t find it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

When it says $50/line that’s the total (except taxes and fees).
Autopay discount is $10/line, which is already included in the $50 (that is, before autopay kicks in, its $60/line). It shows the autopay discount in real tiny letters just under the thing where you choose the number of lines.

Now I have two questions: it says something like “after 15 GB mobile hotspot data is throttled to blah blah”

1) is that throttling after 15 GB of hotspot data use, or any data use?
2) if it’s hotspot use, how can you see hotspot use for a line? I can’t find it.

Hotspot use, and you have to check via the My Verizon app.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok, but where in the app?

My problem may be on the data page there’s a forever spinning blue/green circle for each line on the overview page. The details page doesn’t show a category for hotspot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Ok, but where in the app?

My problem may be on the data page there’s a forever spinning blue/green circle for each line on the overview page. The details page doesn’t show a category for hotspot.

Data hub then details is correct. It’ll show under each line in small words “xxGB hotspot used, after 15GB hotspot data will slow down”

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh crap it’s showing up now. I swear it wasn’t a half hour ago. Thanks.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

Welp we ended up sticking with Verizon... Holding the competitor's quote over their head they cut our bill nearly in half with "off sheet" pricing without even knowing what that quote was. 45% reduction, just over $15k per year in savings.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 22, 2019

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Anyone else get this message pushed right to your screen on Verizon?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Wow that's obnoxious. Nothing so far on my Google store Pixel 3. I'm opted out of everything I can though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Verizon P3XL and no notification like that here.

Thanks the kind of poo poo that deserves going on blast with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Question at the bottom:

I've gotten my Note 9 replaced once already due to a faulty screen, I believe I posted about it ITT. They gave me a refurbished one, which I wasn't happy about, but it seemed to work fine so w/e.

It's been a while, but not yet a year, and now I'm having an issue with the S-Pen slot. The S-Pen is getting stuck fast, and I have no idea what's causing it.

I used some tweezers and got it out once, albeit the little retractable button broke, so I ordered a new one (OEM) from Amazon and it seemed to be going in and out smoothly.

Except now, it's stuck again. Phone has not been dropped, but is kept in an Otterbox case anyway.

What are the chances I can get them to give me an actually new Note 9 instead of a refurb this time?

Alternatively, should I just see about trading it in towards a Note 10+. I'm not happy about the 10s lack of headphones and smaller battery, but at least it still has the S-Pen, which I actually use often enough to make not having it annoying.