Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Panfilo posted:

I want a S2 episode just following Noir around exploring his rich inner life.

I bet he does yoga on a stand up paddle board in full costume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bedshaped posted:

Black Noir just being this crazy silent green tea drinking piano aficionado is way better than the comic twist.

this 100%

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Edit: wrong thread

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

I want a S2 episode just following Noir around exploring his rich inner life.

I really do hope S2 explores some random bits of life and all more, maybe not everyone needs a dedicated 'let's see what these guys do for their day' but I do enjoy the directions they've gone with making characters...characters...and not just the og 'what if (hero) but...bad????'

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
*Maeve double fisting some 4lokos while loitering outside her exes apartment *

*Black Noir repeatedly crashing his plane in Microsoft Flight Simulator*

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Just finished my first re-read of the comic, honestly really shouldn’t have bothered. If anyone else is considering doing the same, I’d recommend leaving the memories alone.

It’s extremely poorly paced. There’s more plot in the last dozen issues than there is in the previous sixty.

The book reeks of 2009. Obviously, Garth Ennis doesn’t speak for us all, but there’s a lot of evidence that we’ve come a long way socially in the last 10 years.

I’m honestly impressed that the show found so many ways to improve the story, and I’m glad it’s taking the premise in a new direction.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Garth Ennis should not ever be a Litmus test of where we’re at socially. He’s from a generation of authors just think certain levels of extremism are funny, and even while I generally believe he’s probably a really cool person, he’s probably still the kinda guy that says “fag” and “pussy” in casual conversation...

and I say that as someone who Stans for him very hard. His works are very important to me, but I’m not sure I’d ever wanna meet the man.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I was always a bigger fan of Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman myself.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Well, if we're talking favorite authors, I think I'm getting into Warren Ellis. He's not as clever as he thinks he is, but his comics are pretty weird in the good way.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SardonicTyrant posted:

Well, if we're talking favorite authors, I think I'm getting into Warren Ellis. He's not as clever as he thinks he is, but his comics are pretty weird in the good way.

That's a great description of Ellis (also a fan).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis definitely both drink from the same enchanted stream certainly.

I loved Watchmen and Swamp Thing and V for Vendetta but Alan Moore’s books about “whimmin” and “magik” are just super creepy wank fodder with this overwhelmingly mystic bullshit fog over everything.

Neil Gaiman is cool, but I don’t think he’s ever done anything as impressive as Sandman. I enjoyed American Gods (even if the ending is supremely telegraphed) and Anansi boys just fine, and Good Omens is a really excellent book (the Amazon series left me cold) but his writing style is frankly homogenous, it always feels like his style is.. I dunno too recognizable? I can’t immerse myself in Gaiman’s works the same way because everything besides Sandman is always written like there is an excitable bloke in a coffee shop telling you the story and doing voices for it and acting out all the best bits.

Terry Pratchet absolutely dumpsters all of them in sheer quality though. I don’t know if I’ll ever love an author the way I loved Terry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bust Rodd posted:

Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis definitely both drink from the same enchanted stream certainly.

I think somebody's gone and pissed in it.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Grant Morrison is my favorite and I will back him 100% in his hilarious “real chaos magician” feud with Moore.

I’m grateful that Ennis made what he did because I’ve loved The Boys and Preacher as shows, but I have exactly zero desire to read his comics. Like when I think of them I just remember that guy screaming about horse cock that would always get posted on /co/ back before I got the gently caress away from 4chan.

As for Ellis, the only stuff of his I’ve ever read is Transmetropolitan and Supergod. Is Planetary worth reading? I remember hearing it was good but never got around to it.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Ellis is also an okay novelist. I don't remember much about Gun Machine to be honest, but Normal had some interesting futurism in it that seemed plausible in a sort of modern spin on Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner.

I liked the part about GPS/Guidance systems becoming robust enough that missiles could be replaced by lawn darts dropped from drones.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Labes for days posted:

As for Ellis, the only stuff of his I’ve ever read is Transmetropolitan and Supergod. Is Planetary worth reading? I remember hearing it was good but never got around to it.
It's a love letter to a bunch of comic and pop genres so it keeps pretty fun through the run.

It was also set to finish releasing right before the millennium (schedule slipped a bit) so there's a lot of underlying optimism and sense of renewal that's nice.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Labes for days posted:

Planetary is a fun read. Like all Ellis I've consumed, it's not as clever as it thinks it is. But it's still a good read.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SardonicTyrant posted:

He's also a massive oval office.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The subversion of the Superman myth is so good. I felt violated during the scene on the farm.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The subversion of the Superman myth is so good. I felt violated during the scene on the farm.

antony starr was a really incredible at this role for being evil superman but then occasionally making you feel bad for him like
when he realizes his origin story was manufactured.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Pulled out a few of my old issues of the comic tonight. Man, I forgot about Monkey. The showrunners did a good job cutting out Ennis' garbage.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 26, 2019

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
The scene where somebody ejaculates bloody cum under Hughie's door is actually extremely important thematically and the show made a major error in omitting it.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Plan Z posted:

Pulled out a few of my old issues of the comic tonight. Man, I forgot about Monkey. The showrunners did a good job cutting out Ennis' garbage.

there’s always season two, perhaps they’ll include the subplot of Tek Knight saving the world by loving an earthbound meteorite in half

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the escape goat posted:

there’s always season two, perhaps they’ll include the subplot of Tek Knight saving the world by loving an earthbound meteorite in half

That was a hallucination caused by his brain tumour.

I do hope they introduce Tek Knight, though, as long as we get the Tek Cave lavatory in all its glory.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Show is good, looking forward to next season. My wife is from Sandusky, so that and the thread title made us laugh.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Jedit posted:

That was a hallucination caused by his brain tumour.

I do hope they introduce Tek Knight, though, as long as we get the Tek Cave lavatory in all its glory.

well yeah, but it's still insane enough that they'd show it imo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
just finished binging through this on the recommendation of a friend

speaking as a Brit Karl Urban was nowhere near an actual English accent at any point, I didn't even think he was attempting one until reading this thread :psyduck:

Simon Pegg's American accent is also really bad

and now I'm going to start on s1 on Banshee

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Julio Cruz posted:

just finished binging through this on the recommendation of a friend

speaking as a Brit Karl Urban was nowhere near an actual English accent at any point, I didn't even think he was attempting one until reading this thread :psyduck:

Simon Pegg's American accent is also really bad

and now I'm going to start on s1 on Banshee

Not sure how others felt watching Banshee but I just finished all four seasons and the first season is pretty rough and it has a lot of cliched writing that shows when you binge it. The performances are compelling though and it really hits its stride in season 2 and on.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Simon Pegg’s American accent is totally fine, what is wrong with it?

-An American

Basically whenever I hear someone with a UK accent do an American accent I literally 100% of the time think to myself “oh see you CAN talk normal wtf”

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
A lot of Brits doing American accents overcompensate on the R’s. It really stuck out watching Sons of Anarchy. Charlie Hunnams accent bugged the poo poo out of me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My favorites are Dominic Cooper and Jim Jeffries, their American accents are amazing.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Dr. Clockwork posted:

A lot of Brits doing American accents overcompensate on the R’s. It really stuck out watching Sons of Anarchy. Charlie Hunnams accent bugged the poo poo out of me.

If its any consolation he's terrible at regional British accents as well. He's from Newcastle and he had to play a cockney in Green Street, yikes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

My favorites are Dominic Cooper and Jim Jeffries, their American accents are amazing.

Ian McShane is really good, had no idea he was English for years.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

Ian McShane is really good, had no idea he was English for years.

Idris Elba is up there with the good ones. Tom Holland is pretty drat good too

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I was certain karl urban was playing a New Zealander who kept using British expressions and it was funnier that way, they should just let him use his normal accent at this point for S2

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rocksicles posted:

Idris Elba is up there with the good ones. Tom Holland is pretty drat good too

I remember seeing his episode of Hot Ones, and he talked about how he went through several auditions and meetings for The Wire and didn't break doing an American accent because his agent warned him David Simon wouldn't want a British actor.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I wonder if McNulty did the same or was doing his 'pip pip tallyho' schtick from that one episode at all times.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Hugh Laurie is the undisputed best Brit doing an American accent and Gerard Butler is probably the worst.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
All British, aussie and new Zealander accents are literally the same. You just replace all vowel sounds with "oy" and also use oy as a word at least once per sentence. Plus call everyone mate, and oval office

Anyone claiming differences between the three (or extra lol, claiming that there are MULTIPLE British accents) is a dork that reviews swords on YouTube

(Irish, or "Scottish" as it is often known, is 99% the same but has a little more whimsy)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

All British, aussie and new Zealander accents are literally the same. You just replace all vowel sounds with "oy" and also use oy as a word at least once per sentence. Plus call everyone mate, and oval office

Anyone claiming differences between the three (or extra lol, claiming that there are MULTIPLE British accents) is a dork that reviews swords on YouTube

(Irish, or "Scottish" as it is often known, is 99% the same but has a little more whimsy)

If you threw Yorkshire, west country, Scouse, Lancashire, cockney, Irish, Scottish and Welsh in a blender for 150 years, add BBC TV and 40 degree weather and stir, you get Australian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh yeah? Hanzo steel is that much stronger??