Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oliver and Company is fine. It's not good, it's not really bad, it's fine. It would entertain a kid for a while. It's all right. It's fine.

I am fond of Once Upon A Time In New York City but I have no idea if it's actually a good song or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Rescuers Down Under is a very good film.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

My favorite Disney film will always be Alice In Wonderland. Disney apparently apologized for it at some point, which strikes me as odd. I know it doesn't follow Lewis Carroll's original books terribly closely in some ways, but I love the trippiness of that film.

As far as I can remember, Alice In Wonderland also doesn't have any questionable, poorly aged elements to it like other movies of its era (Peter Pan and the "What makes the red man red" song). So it has that going for it too.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

sweeperbravo posted:

Every VHS. Every goddamn VHS had an ad for The Nightmare Before Christmas at the beginning previews. That movie looked so balls to the walls awesome and creepy and cool and my mom refused to let me watch it* because it was "too dark." Eventually I let it go and it became one of those movies everyone else but you has seen and I had come to terms with being that person.

Then freshman year in college my friend group was obsessed with the film so I finally got to watch it. Holy poo poo. I have never felt more let down, just a decade and a half of buildup and disappointment washing over me at how badly I'd been misled by the previews. I don't even remember exactly what I had expected, but it wasn't what I got. I think it was.... maybe close to the creepiness level I had imagined, but the actual storyline and how goofy and twee parts of it were just left me never needing to see it again, ever.
VHS advertisement movie previews that didn't age well.

*In general my mom was really good about stuff like this. I never really had a taste for anything actually age-inappropriate, but her two lines in the sand were for this movie and "Ren and Stimpy." In retrospect, she clearly knew what was up on both fronts

I had sort of the same experience with Mars Attacks - the trailers looked AMAZING and I was really excited about seeing it, but I was away the entire summer it was in cinemas in Ireland and I didn't get around to seeing it for several years afterwards. When I finally got to see it, I was extremely disappointed - I found it a weirdly cold, soulless, boring film, like someone moving a bunch of really cool stick figures around instead of believably real characters interacting. It's something I've noticed in every Tim Burton film except Beetlejuice - all shiny show and no heart.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

My favorite Disney film will always be Alice In Wonderland. Disney apparently apologized for it at some point, which strikes me as odd. I know it doesn't follow Lewis Carroll's original books terribly closely in some ways, but I love the trippiness of that film.

As far as I can remember, Alice In Wonderland also doesn't have any questionable, poorly aged elements to it like other movies of its era (Peter Pan and the "What makes the red man red" song). So it has that going for it too.

The caterpillar makes a bunch of pretty obvious drug references. Aside from smoking a hookah he also tells Alice to eat the mushroom without bothering to tell her what it does. There were arguments that that would encourage children to do drugs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pookah posted:

I had sort of the same experience with Mars Attacks - the trailers looked AMAZING and I was really excited about seeing it, but I was away the entire summer it was in cinemas in Ireland and I didn't get around to seeing it for several years afterwards. When I finally got to see it, I was extremely disappointed - I found it a weirdly cold, soulless, boring film, like someone moving a bunch of really cool stick figures around instead of believably real characters interacting. It's something I've noticed in every Tim Burton film except Beetlejuice - all shiny show and no heart.

Rewatch Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

sweeperbravo posted:

Every VHS. Every goddamn VHS had an ad for The Nightmare Before Christmas at the beginning previews. That movie looked so balls to the walls awesome and creepy and cool and my mom refused to let me watch it* because it was "too dark." Eventually I let it go and it became one of those movies everyone else but you has seen and I had come to terms with being that person.

Then freshman year in college my friend group was obsessed with the film so I finally got to watch it. Holy poo poo. I have never felt more let down, just a decade and a half of buildup and disappointment washing over me at how badly I'd been misled by the previews. I don't even remember exactly what I had expected, but it wasn't what I got. I think it was.... maybe close to the creepiness level I had imagined, but the actual storyline and how goofy and twee parts of it were just left me never needing to see it again, ever.
VHS advertisement movie previews that didn't age well.

NBC is one of those movies that's taken on a weird life of its own solely through merchandise. The dark palette, the rough stop motion, the black humor were all things that scared the poo poo out of me as a kid, but was something I could get into when I was a young teen (and super into Hot Topic). It loses something after you're 14 or 15.

My husband had the same experience you had, after I told him there was this awesome movie from when I was a kid, I couldn't believe he hadn't seen it, etc etc. His reaction was "...meh." But we still pop on the music around Halloween because it's catchy and fun.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

SiKboy posted:

Disney reacquired the film rights to the chronicles of prydain about 3 years ago, presumably to make a new adaptation in the mold of LotR/Hobbit/Harry Potter, but I dont think they've done anything with the rights yet. I'm with you, I loved the books when I was a kid, would like to see a good adaptation but am wary that they're going to be hammered into a LotR shaped hole.

Oh good grief, I didn't know that. I have zero faith in Disney making a good adaptation. :negative:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought Nightmare was fine as a kid but I had already seen Beetlejuice and the first two Batman films by that point so I feel like the Tim Burton creepiness wasn’t as big for me as it was for other kids. Also Watership Down was my favorite movie when I was 5 so it wasn’t necessarily going to scare me

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Black Cauldron was plagued with production problems and was made during that time where Disney would recycle animation from their other animated movies. It's pretty infamous in the animation world.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Pookah posted:

Big Fish. :colbert: Big Fish is all heart.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bogus Adventure posted:

Oh good grief, I didn't know that. I have zero faith in Disney making a good adaptation. :negative:

My personaly hope is that they decide that instead of deciding its going to be LotR for teens they decide instead that a TV show would be the way to go (Game of Thrones for teens being a more recent thing they might be thinking of. or I guess Amazon Primes LotR show for teens) because they are going to need content for the Disney Network (or whatever their streaming thing will be called). I think it would fit the pacing of the books better to make a show, particularly if they set out a roadmap for the writers room ("This show will run for X seasons unless ratings suck. Therefore here are approximate milestones of which season should hit which plot points".) because drat few things kill a book adaptation than dragging it out to make finite material fill theoretically infinite seasons.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

SiKboy posted:

My personaly hope is that they decide that instead of deciding its going to be LotR for teens they decide instead that a TV show would be the way to go (Game of Thrones for teens being a more recent thing they might be thinking of. or I guess Amazon Primes LotR show for teens) because they are going to need content for the Disney Network (or whatever their streaming thing will be called). I think it would fit the pacing of the books better to make a show, particularly if they set out a roadmap for the writers room ("This show will run for X seasons unless ratings suck. Therefore here are approximate milestones of which season should hit which plot points".) because drat few things kill a book adaptation than dragging it out to make finite material fill theoretically infinite seasons.

Yeah, I don't even want to imagine them trying to vamp to fill time as The High King story arc comes to a resolution.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I love the animation, but Nightmare Before Christmas wasn't ever trying to be anything other than a Christmas movie for kids so if you're not nostalgic for it it's nothing special. On the other hand I think Tim Burton's Batman aged horribly. I know a lot of people have softened on it lately but I can't imagine why. I can't tell what tone the movie was going for. Jack Nicholson was too fat and too old for the joker and basically didn't even try to get in character. There's also a prince musical number in the middle of the film that Tim Burton was contractually obligated to add that everyone seems to forget is there. I honestly think it's the worst adaptation of Batman.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

NBC is one of those movies that's taken on a weird life of its own solely through merchandise. The dark palette, the rough stop motion, the black humor were all things that scared the poo poo out of me as a kid, but was something I could get into when I was a young teen (and super into Hot Topic). It loses something after you're 14 or 15.

My husband had the same experience you had, after I told him there was this awesome movie from when I was a kid, I couldn't believe he hadn't seen it, etc etc. His reaction was "...meh." But we still pop on the music around Halloween because it's catchy and fun.

Here's the weird part: at least part of the reason is because Pete Wentz used his fame to help the movie regain popularity. For a while seemingly every photo of him that showed the neck down had him wearing Nightmare merch

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

rodbeard posted:

I think Tim Burton's Batman aged horribly. I know a lot of people have softened on it lately but I can't imagine why.
Burton's Batfilms are really just character studies of the villains with some Batman thrown in, but Bats89 goes a long way to show you just how weird Wayne is and that's awesome.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Here's the weird part: at least part of the reason is because Pete Wentz used his fame to help the movie regain popularity.
I remember it being really hard to find after the mid-90s. A lot of Hot Topic merch came out in the 2000s and that seemed to revitalize it to the point there were Halloween screenings and the new 3D version.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Here's the weird part: at least part of the reason is because Pete Wentz used his fame to help the movie regain popularity. For a while seemingly every photo of him that showed the neck down had him wearing Nightmare merch

I love Fall out Boy but Pete made so many questionable choices

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Pookah posted:

I kind of agree to be honest. I haven't seen that many Tim Burton films but I've never been blown away by them. They're good, sure, but I know a lot of people who go nuts over anything Tim Burton and I just don't see it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I know a lot of people who go nuts over anything Tim Burton and I just don't see it.
This was probably more the case when his creative vision was seen as pushing back against the monotony and horror of suburbia and normalcy.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Mars Attacks scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid, but only that scene where the Martian is going into the White House with that one guy. Rewatching it later, I don't know why, but that scene freaked me the gently caress out when I was younger.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

FilthyImp posted:

This was probably more the case when his creative vision was seen as pushing back against the monotony and horror of suburbia and normalcy.

Yes, that's very likely part of it, simply being too young to have seen a lot of his stuff when it was more novel and relevant. Kind of like a lot of counter-culture things from the 80s/90s for me to be honest, like grunge for example.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

rodbeard posted:

I love the animation, but Nightmare Before Christmas wasn't ever trying to be anything other than a Christmas movie for kids so if you're not nostalgic for it it's nothing special. On the other hand I think Tim Burton's Batman aged horribly. I know a lot of people have softened on it lately but I can't imagine why. I can't tell what tone the movie was going for. Jack Nicholson was too fat and too old for the joker and basically didn't even try to get in character. There's also a prince musical number in the middle of the film that Tim Burton was contractually obligated to add that everyone seems to forget is there. I honestly think it's the worst adaptation of Batman.

I am always baffled when people say he was the best Joker. Cesar Romero was a better Joker than he was!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Nightmare Before Christmas is a great Christmas movie with goofy, scary stuff made before Burton's style slid into a full-on self-parody. The music is great, and the story is sweet. It is entirely possibly that the whiny turds who bust a fan nut out over everything and anything Tim Burton does have given it a bad name, but I don't think you should blame the movie for that. :shrug:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Everyone always forgets that Big Fish is Tim Burton's best movie.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Boy, A Very Special Episode has just been going ham sandwich on 7th Heaven, it almost feels unfair to use a goldmine that rich but who can blame them?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Boy, A Very Special Episode has just been going ham sandwich on 7th Heaven, it almost feels unfair to use a goldmine that rich but who can blame them?

A weirdly reactionary show starring a rapist as the dad.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My sister watched a ton of 7th Heaven growing up, and all I remember is they have the worst musical episode I have ever seen for a TV show.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

We would watch that show only until anything better was on. Didn't the dad turn out to be a pedo?

E: yep: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ng-three-girls/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

We would watch that show only until anything better was on. Didn't the dad turn out to be a pedo?

A pedo who was in Star Trek, even.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

A pedo who was in Star Trek, even.

That’s a loving ringer if there ever was one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s a loving ringer if there ever was one.

And, I am not making this up, was a guest on SVU (S09E18).

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

rodbeard posted:

I think pretty much all of the Batman movies have aged pretty badly.

Except The Animated Series. That series is evergreen. :colbert:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The seventh heaven guy was a guest star on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia specifically because of his Christian Dad image. So I guess those episodes didn't age well.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

rodbeard posted:

The seventh heaven guy was a guest star on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia specifically because of his Christian Dad image. So I guess those episodes didn't age well.

IASP could have stayed on-brand by just revealing that Bruce Mathis was a huge piece of poo poo who used the family money to try to rehabilitate his image, but took the better path by just quietly writing him out of the series altogether.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gaunab posted:

Black Cauldron was plagued with production problems and was made during that time where Disney would recycle animation from their other animated movies. It's pretty infamous in the animation world.

There were some cuts made super late into production, in the phase where things are normally pretty locked in place. You can hear the music jump at one point because of it.

It's been a long time since I last saw The Black Cauldron, but I remember liking it. Wasn't one of the one my family had, though. I also remember liking Rescuers Down Under more than the first one, but I think Fantasia was always my favourite.

Araenna posted:

I am always baffled when people say he was the best Joker. Cesar Romero was a better Joker than he was!

Uh, yeah, Cesar Romero was the best Joker.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

I love Fall out Boy but Pete made so many questionable choices
For example, Fall Out Boy

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Solice Kirsk posted:

Rewatch Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

Vandar posted:

Big Fish. :colbert: Big Fish is all heart.

I've never seen either, so thanks for the recommends! Pee-Wee the character is unknown here so I never bothered with the film, and by the time Big Fish happened I'd already formed the opinion that TB films were not my bag.

And I'd totally forgotten about his Batman - I actually liked it alot; the weird chilliness of his usual style really works there. He gets just how much of a freak Bruce Wayne is. Normal person Bruce Wayne makes zero sense.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I just like the fact that The Nightmare Before Christmas was literally inspired by Tim Burton seeing Halloween and Christmas decorations being for sale at the store at the same time. It struck him as completely, bafflingly absurd so he made a movie about it.

Interestingly at the time Disney mostly tried to distance themselves from it. It wasn't until way later when it had a resurgence in popularity that they cared to act like it was theirs again. One of the reasons it stands out is because it's just so damned unique. Your various flavors of spooky kids have always taken a shine to it as it's pretty rare for anything that even vaguely resembles something a goth would like to show up in such a major production.

Granted it's still also pretty whimsical; a lot of things that look scary actually aren't malevolent or dangerous in Halloween Town because, I mean, the song even has the line "life's no fun without a good scare."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Byzantine posted:

"Gypsy" wasn't a slur in America in the 1990s, we mostly knew it from Cher.
It's very obviously used as a slur in that song though? :confused:

rodbeard posted:

On the other hand I think Tim Burton's Batman aged horribly. I know a lot of people have softened on it lately but I can't imagine why. I can't tell what tone the movie was going for.
That's the big problem with it. It can't seem to decide if it's meant to be serious or not, which means that neither the comedic nor the dramatic bits really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tiggum posted:

It's very obviously used as a slur in that song though? :confused:

That's the big problem with it. It can't seem to decide if it's meant to be serious or not, which means that neither the comedic nor the dramatic bits really work.

To be fair to Gypsies Tramps and thieves it's kind of explicitly about people calling them that because they are idiots. "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves, that's what the people of the town there called us"