Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So if you bought the pro upgrade on 6 you get ALL of the new pro features in 7 or just the PDF editing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
These subscriptions are starting to kill me. I didn’t mind the occasional subscription, but now everything is becoming a subscription service. Yearly updates with a new purchase price was much less annoying than this.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So if you bought the pro upgrade on 6 you get ALL of the new pro features in 7 or just the PDF editing?

The language and their twitter seem to imply that you get to keep the features you had, but not get the new pro sub features. I think that’s what other apps do too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

virinvictus posted:

These subscriptions are starting to kill me. I didn’t mind the occasional subscription, but now everything is becoming a subscription service. Yearly updates with a new purchase price was much less annoying than this.

The pendulum will swing the other way once they milk the market dry and fatigue everyone. Then full purchases will come back again. For a while. Then subscriptions again.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

virinvictus posted:

I like it because it's ended up saving me money. I used to just impulse buy poo poo but now I agonize about signing up for new subscriptions and, in the end, usually just don't. I've gone from buying ton of random productivity apps to basically paying for iCloud, Dropbox, and Spotify and using a bunch of default apps. Turns out, I can basically replace stuff I did in PDF Expert for free with a little creativity.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
One up side to subscriptions was mentioned from the developer of Drafts. Apps no longer need to hold back "cool" features to make a vNext product to sell you an upgrade. Now developers who are on the subscription model can release features as they finish them because you are incentivized to make a better product.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

gariig posted:

One up side to subscriptions was mentioned from the developer of Drafts. Apps no longer need to hold back "cool" features to make a vNext product to sell you an upgrade. Now developers who are on the subscription model can release features as they finish them because you are incentivized to make a better product.

This. I don't like the onslaught of subscriptions either, but this is the main reason that I like them. No teased features that you won't see for another 9 months but need now.

Most of these companies could cut down the sub prices though. At a certain point, you cross the curve and wind up paying more through sub than you would buying a new product every couple of years.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Not iOS, but I’m not using Sketch on Mac because they charge roughly $99 per year per computer. I’m not paying $200ish a year for a program when I already have to pay for the Adobe suite to keep compatibility with clients. If a license covered two computers (which feels like a standard setup of iMac and MBP) I’d jump on the sketch bandwagon.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Violator posted:

Not iOS, but I’m not using Sketch on Mac because they charge roughly $99 per year per computer. I’m not paying $200ish a year for a program when I already have to pay for the Adobe suite to keep compatibility with clients. If a license covered two computers (which feels like a standard setup of iMac and MBP) I’d jump on the sketch bandwagon.

I bought all 3 of the Affinity programs. I'm almost to a level of competency with them that I can dry up the Adobe teat.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You retain the PDF editing features.

As an update to my previous post, Readdle definitely had issues synchronizing records of who purchased Pro in Expert 6. Waiting a bit for them to synchronize those records and updating to the newest version (7.1.5) finally allowed me to unlock the editing features.

Aziz of Arabia
Jul 19, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone have any recommendations for a mail client for iOS that uses x-callback urls/will let you share an email?

I use email and Things 3 for my workflow and I formerly used AirMail for this but it's become really unreliable for exchange email accounts

TIA

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Aziz of Arabia posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mail client for iOS that uses x-callback urls/will let you share an email?

Spark is what you want.

The bottom really fell out of Airmail, didnt' it? Their new "Gmail" product is even worse.

Edit: I believe Missive is another option.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 11, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there an app or a way to make a shortcut (I haven’t figured out how shortcuts work) that can easily disable the physical buttons on the side of my 6s? Volume buttons necessary, bonus if power button too. I have a RAM X mount and it’s a pain to find the one perfect spot that doesn’t press any buttons when mounted.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So can someone for the love of god help me with a twitter problem that’s driving me insane. (I’m sure the first response is gonna be stop using the app but I’d like to fix the issue)

I’m following a few hundred people but I only have active notifications set up for when two people tweet. And yet!!!!! This loving app keeps pushing tweet notifications for other drat people.

I’ve checked the settings (which are poo poo) and I don’t even see an option to turn this off. I am following the people but I don’t have it set to notify me when they tweet.

Is there a way to fix this? It’s incredibly annoying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have specifically told twitter app that I don’t want to hear about broadcasts, yet it still pushes notifications to me whenever someone starts one. So I think it’s just broken crap when it comes to notifications.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Tweetbot best twitter.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MarcusSA posted:

So can someone for the love of god help me with a twitter problem that’s driving me insane. (I’m sure the first response is gonna be stop using the app but I’d like to fix the issue)

Is there a way to fix this? It’s incredibly annoying.

If you're a twitter software engineer, I'm sure it's possible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Matt Zerella posted:

Tweetbot best twitter.
Been using it for like 4+ years and I've never looked back!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Matt Zerella posted:

Tweetbot best twitter.

Rageaholic posted:

Been using it for like 4+ years and I've never looked back!

Thirded. It’s fantastic (apart from the slightly-delayed notifications now).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
On PB 13 and it looks like my old orphaned Storm Sim app is finally dead (crashes immediately). Are there any recommended storm/background noise apps? I tried downloading a few, but they've been universally bad.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Krispy Wafer posted:

On PB 13 and it looks like my old orphaned Storm Sim app is finally dead (crashes immediately). Are there any recommended storm/background noise apps? I tried downloading a few, but they've been universally bad.

I use myNoise and paid whatever amount for unlimited access to all their sounds (the default/free sounds are good enough and varied though and you can buy each sound individually after demoing them if you'd rather only spend $1). Deffo works on 13 beta, that's what I'm on.

My favorite feature is the customizable equalizer for each noise, you can save how you like it and I think there's support for multiple saves per sound.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GenericGirlName posted:

I use myNoise and paid whatever amount for unlimited access to all their sounds (the default/free sounds are good enough and varied though and you can buy each sound individually after demoing them if you'd rather only spend $1). Deffo works on 13 beta, that's what I'm on.

My favorite feature is the customizable equalizer for each noise, you can save how you like it and I think there's support for multiple saves per sound.

Yeah, that works. Thanks. I was hoping to find something with a wider variety of sounds and now I can wake up to cold sweats with the datacenter soundscape.

Or apparently fall asleep to the sounds of a medieval battle. Easy purchase.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, that works. Thanks. I was hoping to find something with a wider variety of sounds and now I can wake up to cold sweats with the datacenter soundscape.

Glad to help! I wish it came up in the app store when searching for rain sounds. It's extremely good and the Creator is very active in splatting bugs that come up in iOS betas.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Matt Zerella posted:

Tweetbot best twitter.

its only flaw is tweet threads (the one where the OP replies to themselves in a chain) dont really work with it. i keep the regular twitter app around with notifications disabled for those cases

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait storm sim died? Wasnt that goon made? I still have it and it works on mine, but not on 13 yet.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

There’s also noizio that I’ve always used and looks a lot cleaner than that screenshot. Works fine for me (also on 13b).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

Wait storm sim died? Wasnt that goon made? I still have it and it works on mine, but not on 13 yet.

Yeah, it was goon made, but it doesn't show up on the App store anymore. It died on me back during the iOS 12 beta as well so it's possible it'll work again when the final version of 13 drops, but it's not being developed so this might be the end.

Pour one out for our deceased Goon apps like Dungeon Raid and now Storm Sim.

Froist posted:

There’s also noizio that I’ve always used and looks a lot cleaner than that screenshot. Works fine for me (also on 13b).

myNoise is kind of busy, but each sound file also has 4 or 5 scenes that you can select without having to tinker with every little slider. For example the Numbers Station stream gives you options for Russia, Polish, or German spies cryptically broadcasting numbers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone know if there are any apps that allow you to mass delete safari bookmarks on iOS? For some reason I have hundreds of “No title” folders on mine, probably some cloud link service thing that was broken and I didn’t notice filling up my bookmarks with this crap.

Anyway swiping on each of them to delete is a huge pain in the rear end. Any options would be appreciated.

Doesn’t look like the Shortcuts app can help in this case unfortunately..

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

priznat posted:

Anyone know if there are any apps that allow you to mass delete safari bookmarks on iOS? For some reason I have hundreds of “No title” folders on mine, probably some cloud link service thing that was broken and I didn’t notice filling up my bookmarks with this crap.

Anyway swiping on each of them to delete is a huge pain in the rear end. Any options would be appreciated.

Doesn’t look like the Shortcuts app can help in this case unfortunately..

If you have a mac delete them in OS X safari, or set up bookmark syncing in iColud windows and get the chrome extension* then delete them in chrome

*this may be what gave you hundreds of dupes, if my experience is any indication. Hasn't happened lately, though

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

If you have a mac delete them in OS X safari, or set up bookmark syncing in iColud windows and get the chrome extension* then delete them in chrome

*this may be what gave you hundreds of dupes, if my experience is any indication. Hasn't happened lately, though

I think it was chrome syncing that caused the issue in the first place, laff. I moved over to Firefox a while ago without realizing my bookmarks were messed up.

I will see about doing it in OSX though! Good advice. My wife has a MacBook Air so I will see about syncing to that.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:cheers:

iOS is like 90% of the way to being a real computer and then it faceplants catastrophically when you have a select-multi problem

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

:cheers:

iOS is like 90% of the way to being a real computer and then it faceplants catastrophically when you have a select-multi problem

Totally. I was like “gah there must be some way to do it!!” But no. Thankfully creating a user account on OSX and then syncing the iCloud bookmarks to delete them took me all of 5 minutes so yay!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Long shot: Anyone recommend a barometer app?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Is there any way to bypass the lock screen on a jailbroken iOS 12 phone? I'm sick of having to press the home button again every time I wake it up. I don't have anything even remotely valuable on it, or even associated with it, so I really don't care about security. I already don't use touch ID or a lock code so it's not like it would get any worse.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Lowclock posted:

Is there any way to bypass the lock screen on a jailbroken iOS 12 phone? I'm sick of having to press the home button again every time I wake it up. I don't have anything even remotely valuable on it, or even associated with it, so I really don't care about security. I already don't use touch ID or a lock code so it's not like it would get any worse.

Not unjailbroken. Id ask in the jailbreak thread if it's still around but I doubt it.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

GenericGirlName posted:

Not unjailbroken. Id ask in the jailbreak thread if it's still around but I doubt it.
Yeah, I figured. The only thing I've really managed to find was SkipLock but that's old as hell and doesn't work on newer versions of iOS anymore. The SA jailbreak thread hasn't had a reply in almost a year and fell into the archives. Maybe I'll have to try in r/jailbreak or something.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anybody know of any iTunes gift card deals happening right now? I need to get a $20 app and I'm about to pull the trigger, but if I can save money somehow, I'm gonna do that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Do iTunes cards work for any app that is billed through iTunes?

I didn’t realized it could be more than Apple products because I spend like 100 a year on piano software.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anybody know of any iTunes gift card deals happening right now? I need to get a $20 app and I'm about to pull the trigger, but if I can save money somehow, I'm gonna do that.

Costco has $100 gift card for $85. Not sure about lower amounts
https://www.costco.com/100-App-Store-&-iTunes-Gift-Code-E-Delivery.product.100288797.html

edit:
$25 is $21.50
https://www.costco.com/$25-App-Store-&-iTunes-Gift-Code-(E-Delivery).product.100288796.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

And this one is it. Thanks!