Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

KillHour posted:

Apparently it just started rolling out.

I've got an Essential so I know I'm on the absolute latest AOSP base and I still can't make it update. Really frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

What worked for me:

1. Clear data/cache for Android Auto app
2. Manually install the new APK
3. Go into App Settings and check "Try the new Android Auto"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Yeah, it's the most First World Problems poo poo but with the advent of keyless entry/push button start, the experience of having to take my phone out of my pocket and find the end of the USB cable and set the phone in the little tray that it's gonna fly out of if I push the gas too hard and then later realizing I left my phone in the car, it all just feels like two steps forward and one step back.

This. Not taking the phone out of my pocket ever, I'm usually not in a car long enough to care about any of the benefits of being plugged in anyway. But I still use CDs to listen to most of my music so I'm a bit of a luddite in that regard. It kind of upsets me that the new Civic I want doesn't come with a CD player.....Seems like it's going the way of the cassette player and disappearing completely now which is too bad because most streaming and mp3 quality sucks imo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You should be like me and buy a Walkman in 2019 because the quality is so much better than a phone.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have a huge CD collection and ripped every single one of them onto the HD on my desktop.

And I also have an old Samsung Galaxy MP3 player (not a phone) with most of the files on it, since they were ripped straight from my own CDs the quality is actually pretty good so I use that to listen to music when I'm out and about, but in the car it's CDs only. I keep a mini folder of 20 and rotate them out now and then.

My wife streams music in her Lexus and the quality is poo poo.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This. Not taking the phone out of my pocket ever, I'm usually not in a car long enough to care about any of the benefits of being plugged in anyway.
I'm the exact opposite, I can't stand having anything in my pockets while driving. It always ends up putting pressure on my legs that I don't like. My wallet and phone both come out as I'm opening the door, wallet goes in my door pocket and phone goes in the Proclip mount I have stuck on the dash.

In actual hot hatch news, I have had my first actual failure of something meaningful (read: not just the loving blend door actuator) on my FiST. At around hour 8 of a 9 hour trip to North Carolina a week ago the air conditioning suddenly stopped working. No fading out or working poorly like I've had in previous cars that were in need of a recharge, but just one minute it's blowing cold and the next the oppressive humidity was creeping in. Driving back home this most recent weekend with the windows down the whole way was definitely less than ideal.

All the DIY recharge kits now seem to contain sealants so I don't want to use them and possibly gunk up the system, so I guess I'll be taking it to an air conditioning shop to have it figured out. I checked the relevant fuse and it was fine, but I didn't have the tools to check the relay.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I have a huge CD collection and ripped every single one of them onto the HD on my desktop.

And I also have an old Samsung Galaxy MP3 player (not a phone) with most of the files on it, since they were ripped straight from my own CDs the quality is actually pretty good so I use that to listen to music when I'm out and about, but in the car it's CDs only. I keep a mini folder of 20 and rotate them out now and then.

im kinda there with you but it should be noted that you can tell spotify to download all your music at 320kbps which is really high bitrate. high enough bitrate for driving.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

MetaJew posted:

Torque steer is cool and good and fun. I'm pretty sure the modern, high power FWD cars have tuned it out.

my Focus ST in 2nd gear would beg to differ

Also what's up hot hatch thread I just ventured into AI and I have a 2016 Focus ST that is lightly modded and I occasionally take to AutoX.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This. Not taking the phone out of my pocket ever, I'm usually not in a car long enough to care about any of the benefits of being plugged in anyway. But I still use CDs to listen to most of my music so I'm a bit of a luddite in that regard. It kind of upsets me that the new Civic I want doesn't come with a CD player.....Seems like it's going the way of the cassette player and disappearing completely now which is too bad because most streaming and mp3 quality sucks imo.

Are you ripping CDs with default settings? It might have defaulted to something dumb like 128 kb/s. Set correctly, mp3s should be indistinguishable from the source material on any reasonable equipment in a double blind test.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Are you ripping CDs with default settings? It might have defaulted to something dumb like 128 kb/s. Set correctly, mp3s should be indistinguishable from the source material on any reasonable equipment in a double blind test.

Exactly.

AFAIK 320k CBR is generally considered to be indistinguishable from lossless. LAME VBR mode -V0, averaging around 245kbps, is the standard in the "scene" and is also generally considered to be indistinguishable. Whatever slight differences may exist will be inaudible in basically any vehicle short of a Rolls Royce.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I meant mp3s I have downloaded online from amazon or whatever, some of them sound like poo poo and some are ok, but all the mp3s that I ripped myself from my CDs sound perfect.

BraveUlysses posted:

im kinda there with you but it should be noted that you can tell spotify to download all your music at 320kbps which is really high bitrate. high enough bitrate for driving.

I did not know that, might have to look into that thanks. Basically what I did in my xB was keep CDs of albums I liked entirely, and other stuff like hit's from the 80's and 90's and whatnot I made into playlists and put it on a memory stick and just listened to that if I wasn't listening to a CD. Worked out pretty well that way.

I have so much music of my own it keeps me occupied plenty, have never felt the need to stream random stuff.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Also you can rip mp3s from CDs and put those on a flash drive at whatever bitrate you want. Get a nub style flash drive that barely sticks out of the port and it doesn't even take up room. No more changing discs, same quality.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah on mine it's in the center console under a shelf so it's outta sight, works perfect.

Although the file system on the stock Pioneer system in the xB works a little wonky, it will not play anything in the order i want unless I put a number on every file and even then it takes a while for it to recognize the numbers and put everything in correct order, and on some of the huge playlists I have (90's rock for example) it will play like only half the list over and over and skip the rest of the list completely i don't get it. Kind of annoying but not horrible, first world problems lol.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I see in the settings I have "Use the new Android Auto" and also "Wireless projection to car screen" though it was already on. You might get your wish.

The GTI has an SD card slot in the glove box that supports SD-XC cards (not micro but of course there are adapters), I believe up to 256 GB. I've never used the CD player, though it has that too in the glove box, and I did put my sleeve of CDs in the car when I bought it. My 64GB card is still mostly empty, and I also ripped my own music at V0 or rough equivalent in most cases, so you have options. Do verify the CD player, though; I have a 2016, this may have changed, though I doubt it. The screen in the dash is just a screen, and the bulk of the stereo is built into the CD player, at least on mine.

Edit: you can also make playlists on Spotify including ripped music as long as your phone and computer are on the same network, then download the playlists using your files to your phone, and it will use your versions. Haven't done it yet but I plan to.

Edit2: New Android Auto is pretty nice so far. The right knob in the GTI zooms the map again instead of switching between the search bar and the map, Spotify is resident along the bottom as that's the only paid music service I have, the circle persists in the lower left and now prompts you with a grid of available options when pressed, and I'm pretty sure it goes into map mode by default.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 7, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Oddhair posted:

I see in the settings I have "Use the new Android Auto" and also "Wireless projection to car screen" though it was already on. You might get your wish.

The GTI has an SD card slot in the glove box that supports SD-XC cards (not micro but of course there are adapters), I believe up to 256 GB.

AND it supports virtually every flavor of FLAC out of the box! One of the best surprises I've ever gotten.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

MunchE posted:

my Focus ST in 2nd gear would beg to differ

Also what's up hot hatch thread I just ventured into AI and I have a 2016 Focus ST that is lightly modded and I occasionally take to AutoX.

Ah nice what have ya done on it? Torque steer on mine got better after I replaced the unsuitably soft rear motor mount but uhhh it's still a FWD car with no LSD and 270 ft/lbs of torque lol

Didn't go too far in on mine; just replaced stock IC, put a catch can on to slow down the intake valve buildup a bit, and put the OTS Cobb "Stage 2" tune on.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah nice what have ya done on it? Torque steer on mine got better after I replaced the unsuitably soft rear motor mount but uhhh it's still a FWD car with no LSD and 270 ft/lbs of torque lol

Didn't go too far in on mine; just replaced stock IC, put a catch can on to slow down the intake valve buildup a bit, and put the OTS Cobb "Stage 2" tune on.

TBH I tried taking my car to the drag strip a couple times, realized it's terribly unsuited for it and just started focusing on AutoX so 2nd gear WOT isn't nearly as big of a concern for me. I bought the Cobb "stage 1" kit which is basically an air filter, tune and RMM and the RMM is still sitting on a shelf in my garage because #lazy but I should probably get that going soon.

Honestly biggest difference for me was getting some nice tires - the Eagle F1s that came on the car suuuuuuuuck and I am running Pilot Sport 4S now.

I should look into the catch can thing - can you show me which one you used? I've been kicking around the idea of getting the FMIC for a while also.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MunchE posted:

TBH I tried taking my car to the drag strip a couple times, realized it's terribly unsuited for it and just started focusing on AutoX so 2nd gear WOT isn't nearly as big of a concern for me. I bought the Cobb "stage 1" kit which is basically an air filter, tune and RMM and the RMM is still sitting on a shelf in my garage because #lazy but I should probably get that going soon.

Honestly biggest difference for me was getting some nice tires - the Eagle F1s that came on the car suuuuuuuuck and I am running Pilot Sport 4S now.

I should look into the catch can thing - can you show me which one you used? I've been kicking around the idea of getting the FMIC for a while also.

Yeah I bought the Damond Motorsports one because of... something with the mounting location or that it came with the ford-specific quick-connect parts? Can't remember. It seems to be working well though! Nothing is gonna catch all the oil flowing from the PCV back into the intake but I like to think it helps slow down the gunk accumulation on the intake valves.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Does the FIRST/FiST have intake valve carbon buildup issues to?

I keep thinking maybe I should clean my intake valves on my MS3 since I'm pretty close to 100k miles but it seems like a tedious job. I also haven't found a local shop that advertises doing walnut blasting (on cars that aren't VW/Audi/BMW).

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

Does the FIRST/FiST have intake valve carbon buildup issues to?

I keep thinking maybe I should clean my intake valves on my MS3 since I'm pretty close to 100k miles but it seems like a tedious job. I also haven't found a local shop that advertises doing walnut blasting (on cars that aren't VW/Audi/BMW).

Yeah any engine that's direct injection only will get the buildup on its intake valves over time and turbo cars tend to be worse because of the increased pressure and blowby. If it's port injection AND direct injection or just port then you don't need to worry about it since the gas washes the intake valves as it flows by.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I had hoped that at least Ford has added some port/secondary injectors. I guess they didn't.

For that matter, on my GF's TTS, the euro model has port injectors, but the USDM model does not. :arghfist:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MetaJew posted:

For that matter, on my GF's TTS,

:quagmire:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Big TT Golf GF

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Midjack posted:

Big TT Golf GF

:kiss:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
This is not lost on me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MetaJew posted:

I had hoped that at least Ford has added some port/secondary injectors. I guess they didn't.
They have been adding port injection to the EcoBoost line, but the four bangers haven't come up for revision or replacement yet it seems.

The 3.5 V6 got a second-generation revision for the 2017 model year which was the first one to gain dual injection. The 2.7L V6 got the same revision for 2018. For reasons I'm not entirely clear on, the revised versions only seem to be in the longitudinal platforms (F-150, GT, Expedition/Navigator). The transverse V6 EcoBoost vehicles are still all running the first-generation engines with pure direct injection.

The 1.5L 3 cylinder seems to be the only transverse-mounted EcoBoost to have dual injection so far. The 1.5/1.6L fours are probably not getting revised and will just be replaced by the 3, not sure what's going to happen to the 2.0, but I'd be shocked if the 2.3 didn't get a revision to go along with either the next Mustang or Ranger.

Midjack posted:

Big TT Golf GF
New thread title?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

wolrah posted:

They have been adding port injection to the EcoBoost line, but the four bangers haven't come up for revision or replacement yet it seems.

The 3.5 V6 got a second-generation revision for the 2017 model year which was the first one to gain dual injection. The 2.7L V6 got the same revision for 2018. For reasons I'm not entirely clear on, the revised versions only seem to be in the longitudinal platforms (F-150, GT, Expedition/Navigator). The transverse V6 EcoBoost vehicles are still all running the first-generation engines with pure direct injection.

The 1.5L 3 cylinder seems to be the only transverse-mounted EcoBoost to have dual injection so far. The 1.5/1.6L fours are probably not getting revised and will just be replaced by the 3, not sure what's going to happen to the 2.0, but I'd be shocked if the 2.3 didn't get a revision to go along with either the next Mustang or Ranger.

New thread title?

I was going to talk about how the 2.3L has more applications and is in the Euro ST, but a look at Wikipedia showed that 2.0L is in all sorts of boring rear end cars

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It appears VW is buying back manual 2019 GTIs for a stalling / motor issue
https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/b9cpb7/possible_2019_6mt_stall_issue_your_feedback/

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have one of the VW GTIs with the stalling issue, and have taken my car to the dealer and been talking to VW about it for a week or so. They think it is software, they applied a patch to my car that did not resolve it. Currently trying to get them to trade me for a DSG.

Looks like I will know tomorrow whether they have a fix coming or if I get a DSG in trade.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 15, 2019

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Bought my SVT's clone. Another black 03 with 80k-ish miles. This one is rougher, tons of wiring hackery, ugly wheels, blown up front bumper and it sat for a while so it had some mice in it.

However, it has a jackson racing supercharger on it. Probably swapping the blower over to my cleaner SVT. Doesn't run because of the wiring hackery, but everything is there for the blower. Planning on pulling the motor and trans, throwing a used engine harness in to avoid dealing with the bullshit and it's getting stripped out to be a rallyx car first, and then a stage rally car later.

Already transferring all the ugly from my other one. Uglyhood went on the new one, going to swap the slightly cleaner rear bumper too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Somehow my A/C has started working again. Two weeks ago it was entirely nonfunctional, the other day I pushed the button just for the hell of it and it immediately blew cold and kept that solid for as long as I was in the car. I have no idea, but I'm not going to complain. To be honest it wasn't actually all that bad except when it was raining. Humidity + closed windows = gently caress.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Hypnolobster posted:

Bought my SVT's clone. Another black 03 with 80k-ish miles. This one is rougher, tons of wiring hackery, ugly wheels, blown up front bumper and it sat for a while so it had some mice in it.

However, it has a jackson racing supercharger on it. Probably swapping the blower over to my cleaner SVT. Doesn't run because of the wiring hackery, but everything is there for the blower. Planning on pulling the motor and trans, throwing a used engine harness in to avoid dealing with the bullshit and it's getting stripped out to be a rallyx car first, and then a stage rally car later.

Already transferring all the ugly from my other one. Uglyhood went on the new one, going to swap the slightly cleaner rear bumper too.

Sell me the rear brakes 😄

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

PaintVagrant posted:

Sell me the rear brakes 😄

Believe me, you don't want them :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
why, the calipers hosed? they are a good upgrade for fiesta st

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I can probably save them, but they look pretty rough. I think I can still get caliper rebuild kits though.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Well, I had bought a 16 wrx in January and this weekend traded it in for a 16 VW GTI SE with the performance and lighting package. I feel like I might just be getting too old for something on edge as the WRX.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
2003 Pontiac vibe gt hot hatch or hottest hatch?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Finally got to meet up with Rhyno at our local cars and coffee and let him ride/drive my FoRS. I’ll let him chime in with his impressions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The launch control made me believe in God again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm so sad that there isn't a cars and coffee in Buffalo any more.