Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Granted it's still also pretty whimsical; a lot of things that look scary actually aren't malevolent or dangerous in Halloween Town because, I mean, the song even has the line "life's no fun without a good scare."
Yeah, probably the only thing wrong in Halloweentown are OOgie Boogie and maybe the Lock Shock and Barrel trio. But I think that's why it works so well for kids, that idea that things may look a certain way but not be scary/malevolent.

Tiggum posted:

It can't seem to decide if it's meant to be serious or not, which means that neither the comedic nor the dramatic bits really work.
I've always liked that about it. It's a movie where this gothic, noir city is oppressively serious and brought to its knees by a guy using a gruesome joy-buzzer on his foes, leaving them as skeletal husks. Hell, the images of Gothamites clawing over each other for fakebucks while being poisoned, or Joker taking out an impossibly long gun to take down the Batplane, always stick with me.

purple death ray posted:

Burton's Batman is one of the least faithful comic book adaptations but it's also cool as hell as a movie.
True. If I were a few years older I might have brought that up.
But I was 6 when it came out. Waiting in line for Batman was one of my earlier film memories. To me, well yes of course Jack Napier killed Batman's parents. Of course he would become the Joker and have this orobouros cause and effect thing with Bruce. Nevermind that Joe Chill comic poo poo that I didn't know about, the film was really cool and everything just made sense to me.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Burton's Batman is one of the least faithful comic book adaptations but it's also cool as hell as a movie. The characters might not be the Bruce Wayne and the Joker that you know from other stories but they're well acted and interesting and the movie fuckin rules.

I think every Batman movie nails at least one part of the character, even the lovely ones has at least one worthwhile thing that they get right.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

I think every Batman movie nails at least one part of the character, even the lovely ones has at least one worthwhile thing that they get right.

Yeah, Batman Forever nailed how crazy Bruce Wayne would have to be while Batman and Robin nailed Bruce's public persona.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, probably the only thing wrong in Halloweentown are OOgie Boogie and maybe the Lock Shock and Barrel trio. But I think that's why it works so well for kids, that idea that things may look a certain way but not be scary/malevolent.

I've always liked that about it. It's a movie where this gothic, noir city is oppressively serious and brought to its knees by a guy using a gruesome joy-buzzer on his foes, leaving them as skeletal husks. Hell, the images of Gothamites clawing over each other for fakebucks while being poisoned, or Joker taking out an impossibly long gun to take down the Batplane, always stick with me.

True. If I were a few years older I might have brought that up.
But I was 6 when it came out. Waiting in line for Batman was one of my earlier film memories. To me, well yes of course Jack Napier killed Batman's parents. Of course he would become the Joker and have this orobouros cause and effect thing with Bruce. Nevermind that Joe Chill comic poo poo that I didn't know about, the film was really cool and everything just made sense to me.

People also seem to forget about Batman Returns, which I think is really one of the most faithful adaptations of Batman. Like, its completely surreal and weird, exists in a world of its own and looks like a bunch of German expressionists throwing a party, but it somehow nails how lonely Bruce and his alterego are and how loving weird his world is.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

purple death ray posted:

Similarly, something I've seen put forward somewhere (possibly here) is that a struggle with a lot of the 'secret identity' heroes, but especially Batman, is that it's basically two roles in one, and in most cases you'll only get one of those to be a good performance. Spider-Man's similar; Tom Holland is a great Peter Parker but not a great Spider-Man, while Tobey Maguire was a lackluster Peter (except when he was dancing in 3, I will stand by this) but a great Spider-Man. Batman's one of the really complicated ones because there's a lot of potential things you could explore with both Batman and Bruce Wayne, you feasibly can't do all of it at once, you have to pick and choose and hope you've got an actor that can handle what he needs to.

The only performances of a 'secret identity' superhero that I can think of that pulled off both sides of the coin really well are Christopher Reeve's Superman, Kevin Conroy's Batman, Stephen Amell's Green Arrow and Melissa Benoist's Supergirl. Everywhere else, one side or the other gets let down at some point, deliberately or not.

Before anyone says it: I love Adam West's Batman, but you can barely say anything about Adam West's Bruce Wayne.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Speaking of secret identities, are there any versions of Superman where Clark doesn’t want to work on Superman stories because talking about himself without disclosing the conflict of interest would be unethical?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That reminds me there was a great episode of Supergirl where she got straight up fired because, frustrated that her editor wouldn't run her story due to insufficient sources, she blogged it. WAY the wrong thing to do there m8.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You can see where Burton peaks and starts his long slow descent into crappiness.

Everything before 1994 is great. Everything after is too much Johnny Depp. Although Planet of the Apes would have been arguably better with Johnny Depp. Big Fish is a dead cat bounce quality-wise.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

You can see where Burton peaks and starts his long slow descent into crappiness.

Everything before 1994 is great. Everything after is too much Johnny Depp. Although Planet of the Apes would have been arguably better with Johnny Depp. Big Fish is a dead cat bounce quality-wise.

Mars Attacks rules, sorry

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell yeah

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really wish someone had also done the Dinosaurs Attack cards too :(

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Well, it's the first film of the long decline so it's not bad, but it's no better than anything that came before it.

I found the movie surprisingly dull.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

I really wish someone had also done the Dinosaurs Attack cards too :(

In a better timeline he made that instead of Mars Attacks

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Iron Crowned posted:

I wish we could get Dinosaurs Attack! now.

Edit: that's what I get for looking for pictures.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Mars Attacks is just Independence day but playing it all for comedy. There are so many similar plot moments between the two.

The biggest difference is Mars attacks is actually a good movie :colbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Martians running around frying people while the machine keeps translating their language into "we come in peace" is really great, as is the "NO DOVES" sign at the second press conference

Also I think about the line "we should think about rebuilding with teepees cause they're better in a lot of ways" pretty often

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Dinosaurs are majestic and cool and media that ends with us fist-pumping over killing them is dumb and bad :colbert:

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Aug 26, 2019

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Dr Christmas posted:

Speaking of secret identities, are there any versions of Superman where Clark doesn’t want to work on Superman stories because talking about himself without disclosing the conflict of interest would be unethical?

i think clark's journalism focuses more on either feel-good sentimental stuff about local events/people OR stuff about looking out for the little guy, like sussing out corporate abuses of power/similar scandals or otherwise looking out for the homeless, abused, forgotten or neglected

iirc he's quit his job a couple times to that end, once in ~2012 to do online activism because he felt like the daily planet was no longer reporting on 'real news', doing way too much stuff on reality stars, pop culture and the like but he eventually comes back while keeping his blog on the side so he can continue to elevate problems the media doesn't like talking about...he quits his job again after being assigned to cover superman - he does have ethical reasons but not the ones you're thinking of, he doesn't like how they want him to sensationalize superman for clicks & views - but this time he goes off to work for cat grant

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Dinosaurs are majestic and cool and we media that ends with us fist-pumping over killing them is dumb and bad :colbert:

Media that tries to peddle the myth that Dimetrodon was a dinosaur is also dumb and bad :colbert:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dr Christmas posted:

Dinosaurs are majestic and cool and we media that ends with us fist-pumping over killing them is dumb and bad :colbert:

This, but also sharks.

That said, I'll watch Jaws and Deep Blue Sea any day of the week.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alhazred posted:

Media that tries to peddle the myth that Dimetrodon was a dinosaur is also dumb and bad :colbert:

This, but also pterosaurs, ichthyosaurs, and plesiosaurs.

That said, trying to correct a five year old is a fruitless endeavor.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Before anyone says it: I love Adam West's Batman, but you can barely say anything about Adam West's Bruce Wayne.

"Would you like to come in for some .. milk and cookies?"

What more do you need to say than Adam West's Bruce Wayne fucks

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I saw Planet of the Apes in the theater before having seen the original, and I can say honestly that not being familiar with the original doesn't improve it at all. It still sucks. The new Apes movies with Andy Serkis are so much better as remakes.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Alhazred posted:

Dimetrodon is a synapsid yet still also the best dinosaur. Such is the awesomeness of dimetrodon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

Similarly, something I've seen put forward somewhere (possibly here) is that a struggle with a lot of the 'secret identity' heroes, but especially Batman, is that it's basically two roles in one, and in most cases you'll only get one of those to be a good performance. Spider-Man's similar; Tom Holland is a great Peter Parker but not a great Spider-Man, while Tobey Maguire was a lackluster Peter (except when he was dancing in 3, I will stand by this) but a great Spider-Man. Batman's one of the really complicated ones because there's a lot of potential things you could explore with both Batman and Bruce Wayne, you feasibly can't do all of it at once, you have to pick and choose and hope you've got an actor that can handle what he needs to.

The only performances of a 'secret identity' superhero that I can think of that pulled off both sides of the coin really well are Christopher Reeve's Superman, Kevin Conroy's Batman, Stephen Amell's Green Arrow and Melissa Benoist's Supergirl. Everywhere else, one side or the other gets let down at some point, deliberately or not.

This about nails it. Reminded of how SMG calls Bale Batman Bateman and frankly it's hard to correct him because American Psycho was probably the best audition for Bruce Wayne.

Spider-Verse does it a bit interestingly because the characters that get fleshed out; Miles, Peter B and Gwen, all have relatively similar superhero personas but very different actual personalities.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FactsAreUseless posted:

For example, Fall Out Boy

What's the difference between fallout boy and vault boy

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

purple death ray posted:

The Martians running around frying people while the machine keeps translating their language into "we come in peace" is really great, as is the "NO DOVES" sign at the second press conference

Also I think about the line "we should think about rebuilding with teepees cause they're better in a lot of ways" pretty often

That movie was honestly one of Natalie Portman’s best roles. She really nailed being an earnest, stupid teenager.

It had a really good Martin Short performance as well.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It had a really good Martin Short performance as well.

Martin Short vs. Short Martians

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I had given up on Burton after Corpse Bride, but then I saw Big Eyes and it was...surprisingly good? Mostly because of Christoph Waltz chewing scenery which works perfectly for the character, and makes it all the creepier when he shows his true nature.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ed Wood is BY FAR the best thing he's ever done.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I liked Corpse Bride when I saw it as a teenager. I'm taking it doesn't hold up to a rewatch?

And I stopped bothering with him after Alice. That was dire and we even got high before the showing so there should have been no excuse.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

purple death ray posted:

I have to admit that was the most inspiring uninspiring speech I've ever heard.

Well I guess we have to like...start rebuilding now, you know?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I have to admit that was the most inspiring uninspiring speech I've ever heard.

Well I guess we have to like...start rebuilding now, you know?
The movie that introduced me to Lukas Haas, who was great as the little Amish kid in Witness and still does good performances today.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I never quite worked out whether the joke was that the machine was mistranslating or that after the same trick worked twice on Earth the Martians just thought it was really funny to keep telling us they came in peace.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I will be the guy who says Sleepy Hollow isn't that bad either, sure Johnny Depp sucks rear end but the atmosphere and aesthetic is extremely my poo poo and it was one of the first movies me and my wife went to.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Whybird posted:

I never quite worked out whether the joke was that the machine was mistranslating or that after the same trick worked twice on Earth the Martians just thought it was really funny to keep telling us they came in peace.

The latter I think

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

jojoinnit posted:

I liked Corpse Bride when I saw it as a teenager. I'm taking it doesn't hold up to a rewatch?

It's okay. But it's really hard not to compare it (unfavorably) to TNBC which just feels like so much more of a labor of love. Corpse Bride is more like just a random movie from the '80s or something, that you'd watch and think "that was fun", and yet there's so much drat technical effort put into it, and that almost makes it worse somehow?

I really do need to get around to seeing Ed Wood someday. I'm a big fan of both Tim Burton movies and Ed Wood movies, I was raised on them. But since Ed Wood is rated R and I was in middle school when it came out, it never made it into my family's viewing.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Aug 27, 2019

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

jojoinnit posted:

It's gorgeous, but the script is either a first draft or a seventh draft (take a sip every time someone says "I beg of you"), and more than one actor was phoning it in. That said, it was cool to see how far stop-motion had gone in a decade. One of my friends didn't believe it wasn't CGI until I showed her the behind the scenes pics.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the difference between fallout boy and vault boy
I dunno, I've never heard any Vault Boy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sir Lemming posted:

It's okay. But it's really hard not to compare it (unfavorably) to TNBC which just feels like so much more of a labor of love. Corpse Bride is more like just a random movie from the '80s or something, that you'd watch and think "that was fun", and yet there's so much drat technical effort put into it, and that almost makes it worse somehow?

I really do need to get around to seeing Ed Wood someday. I'm a big fan of both Tim Burton movies and Ed Wood movies, I was raised on them. But since Ed Wood is rated R and I was in middle school when it came out, it never made it into my family's viewing.

At this point it's probably safe to say it's the best Johnnie Depp movie too.