Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Then out of nowhere Luke walks in, with the clear implication being that hope has returned.
I mean yeah, but the implication was that no one was coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean yeah, but the implication was that no one was coming

Luke Skywalker, the literal personification of Hope showed up.

This isn't complicated, it's Star Wars.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The supposedly freedom-loving systems of the Galaxy are so inept and cowardly in the ST that it really makes you question why we (the audience) should be invested in our heroes saving them.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

teagone posted:

Yes. Remember when the resistance were trying to get help on the Crait by sending out a galaxy wide SOS and while their was message was received, no one responded?

I remember that scene, one person said something like:

"Our message has been received but there's no reply."

and I didn't understand at all.

But then someone immediately said:

"They've received our message but no one has replied."

And then I got it.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Don't use passive voice, folks

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Captain Splendid posted:

I remember that scene, one person said something like:

"Our message has been received but there's no reply."

and I didn't understand at all.

But then someone immediately said:

"They've received our message but no one has replied."

And then I got it.

Wasn't enough for you to remember it until I mentioned it again though, apparently.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Mannybothanz/status/1165804917036060673

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

teagone posted:

Wasn't enough for you to remember it until I mentioned it again though, apparently.

You might want to reread what you were originally quoting

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Then out of nowhere Luke walks in, with the clear implication being that hope has returned.

He then dies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The entire galactic conflict playing out the way it does makes no sense anyway. The whole reason the Resistance exists is because Leia and some other senators want it because the Republic at large doesn't think the First Order is a serious threat or whatever. But then the First Order like, blows up Hosnian Prime which, double checking, """served as the headquarters of the Galactic Senate and capital of the New Republic during the conflict between the Resistance and the First Order.""" And like, they're able to just do that and continue on their merry way?

I mean I know the reason is because they wanted to have EMPIRE vs. REBELS as closely as possible but it's crazy how much they didn't think that through at all and how fast the First Order went from how it is in Force Awakens to suddenly being the new Empire. And they make a big deal in Last Jedi about war profiteers selling to anyone and stuff like that but apparently they only ever sell to the First Order since the entire Resistance is reduced to ten people on the Falcon over a few hours?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

He then dies.

I still LOL that they didn't think to have Luke+Han+Leia all share some screen time.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

He then dies.

After clowning on the First Order as the Resistance remnant sneak out the backdoor

Context is important. :wookie:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rey in the black robe at the end of this trailer feels just like the "Jyn wears an Imperial uniform" shot from the end of Rogue One's trailer. So I'm just going into this movie assuming that this scene doesn't happen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

You might want to reread what you were originally quoting

If you remembered the scene, why did you question if the galaxy stoped caring? I was assuming you only remembered that bit after I brought it up again. Basically I was just saying your film comprehension sucks.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

teagone posted:

If you remembered the scene, why did you question if the galaxy stoped caring? I was assuming you only remembered that bit after I brought it up again. Basically I was just saying your film comprehension sucks.

Re-reread it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Do helmets that cover the entire face have any in-universe utility? Do they provide a HUD or something that we’ve just never seen?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

All I'm getting out of this is TLJ spelled it out for you—"it" being that the galaxy had stopped caring—twice in a row, and you still posted:

Captain Splendid posted:

They stopped caring?

Not sure what else to say? :shrug:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

teagone posted:

All I'm getting out of this is TLJ spelled it out for you—"it" being that the galaxy had stopped caring—twice in a row, and you still posted:

Not sure what else to say? :shrug:

Does this help?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

General Dog posted:

Do helmets that cover the entire face have any in-universe utility? Do they provide a HUD or something that we’ve just never seen?

Ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CRTow8hFvM&t=150s

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 26, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Who did it better

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
That elevator scene spoof made me realize just how forgettable TLJ was.

The movie should have ended with Leia’s Salt Lake City allies from summer camp hitting her up on the ham radio and the whole cast bursts into an impromptu rendition of The Neverending Star Wars while Kylo stares into the camera and frowns.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

Does this help?

Oh I see. I took your post at face value, not as a jab to what you were quoting. My bad. Thought you were being sarcastic by quoting the scene lmao.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

The entire galactic conflict playing out the way it does makes no sense anyway. The whole reason the Resistance exists is because Leia and some other senators want it because the Republic at large doesn't think the First Order is a serious threat or whatever. But then the First Order like, blows up Hosnian Prime which, double checking, """served as the headquarters of the Galactic Senate and capital of the New Republic during the conflict between the Resistance and the First Order.""" And like, they're able to just do that and continue on their merry way?

I mean I know the reason is because they wanted to have EMPIRE vs. REBELS as closely as possible but it's crazy how much they didn't think that through at all and how fast the First Order went from how it is in Force Awakens to suddenly being the new Empire. And they make a big deal in Last Jedi about war profiteers selling to anyone and stuff like that but apparently they only ever sell to the First Order since the entire Resistance is reduced to ten people on the Falcon over a few hours?
Where the hell was the Republic’s military? We saw a few ships getting blown up by the Starkiller Base and that was about it

The Republic was pretty lovely if this Imperial remnant force from the Outer Rim can just show up with a small fleet and then de facto control the entire galaxy within a few days

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Where the hell was the Republic’s military? We saw a few ships getting blown up by the Starkiller Base and that was about it

The Republic was pretty lovely if this Imperial remnant force from the Outer Rim can just show up with a small fleet and then de facto control the entire galaxy within a few days

It seems we're supposed to believe that it was all there based around Hosnian Prime, every bit of it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Vinylshadow posted:

Who did it better

This is so relentlessly goofy. It actually gives me the giggles it's so bad.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

After clowning on the First Order as the Resistance remnant sneak out the backdoor

Context is important. :wookie:

Yeah thank god those ten people survived

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rather than the conveniently off-screen militia having no hope in the Resistance cause until Luke restored it, it's far more likely that they just didn't have hope in Leia as a leader and were waiting for The First Order to wipe out her power base before swooping in.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What happens when somebody turns to the dark side, but stays on the non-authoritarian side of the conflict? Is that allowed?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Tlj obviously ended with the resistance fleeing like obiwan and Yoda did, waiting for a new generation to rise up and be trained by the hidden old guard

Except ep 9 is coming out not about that so who the gently caress knows. Hell, it's inexplicable how the trailer has all those b, y, a and xwings

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

teagone posted:

Oh I see. I took your post at face value, not as a jab to what you were quoting. My bad. Thought you were being sarcastic by quoting the scene lmao.

No problem, buddy ;)

I was being facetious with the quote though, having one character immediately paraphrase another with simpler dialogue sounded really bad to me

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

General Dog posted:

What happens when somebody turns to the dark side, but stays on the non-authoritarian side of the conflict? Is that allowed?

I assume you get the type of person that runs in Han's circles like a con man or some other person of ill-repute but they're extremely good at it.

My favorite part of Force Awakens is Han's conversation with the cast of The Raid when they board his ship because you learn how he operates and low key realize that he didn't drop that shipment of Jabba's years ago to avoid imperial detection but that clearly he pulled some poo poo and just sold it to someone else which was why Jabba was inordinately vindictive rather than just seeing it as cost of doing business.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 26, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

It seems we're supposed to believe that it was all there based around Hosnian Prime, every bit of it.
After i watched TFA I had to look up what the hell was going on with the Republic capital since it’s not explained in the movie that The First Order blew up the capital. I had to find some kind of supplementary book they put out around the time of TFA which explained what the deal was with Starkiller’s target. That’s ridiculous. It also doesn’t help that the reaction shot of people about to die on a planet looked a hell of a lot like Coruscant

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The licensing/royalty theory about Lucas getting paid if they use his planets (tattoine , coruscant etc) makes a ton of sense for the cinematically identical yet differently named places in the Disney movies

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

I was being facetious with the quote though, having one character immediately paraphrase another with simpler dialogue sounded really bad to me

No yeah, I thought you were directing that sarcasm towards me after "explaining" it lol. I agree though, the lady reiterating that bit of dialogue is nearly on par with Legolas' "A DIVERSION!" from Return of the King, just not as funny.

mastershakeman posted:

The licensing/royalty theory about Lucas getting paid if they use his planets (tattoine , coruscant etc) makes a ton of sense for the cinematically identical yet differently named places in the Disney movies

I believe this. That would be a 100% Disney move.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's hard for me to even fathom the brilliance of making disney pay you an additional percentage to use basically anything from the IP they just paid you 4 billion dollars for. It makes me reassess things. Maybe I really am just too stupid to see how genius the prequels are

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

This is so relentlessly goofy. It actually gives me the giggles it's so bad.

The problem is the saber portion is obviously a prop so it has more weight and momentum and it’s throwing the whole movement off because only the hilt should have weight.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's hard for me to even fathom the brilliance of making disney pay you an additional percentage to use basically anything from the IP they just paid you 4 billion dollars for. It makes me reassess things. Maybe I really am just too stupid to see how genius the prequels are

I have an extremely difficult time believing Disney would pay 4 billion for Lucasfilm while also allowing some weird ticky-tack stipulation that Lucas gets paid every time someone says "Coruscant" or "Luke Skywalker". Stranger things have happened, but it doesn't seem likely.

I think the more likely explanation for the Coruscant/Hosnian Prime thing is that there was a draft of the script that actually did have Coruscant getting blowed up, but some of the higher ups nixed it, just in case they wanted to come back to that setting in the future. So they kept the plot identical and just slapped another name on it, then added a convoluted explanation for why it wasn't Coruscant in some book to placate the die-hards.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 26, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

After i watched TFA I had to look up what the hell was going on with the Republic capital since it’s not explained in the movie that The First Order blew up the capital. I had to find some kind of supplementary book they put out around the time of TFA which explained what the deal was with Starkiller’s target. That’s ridiculous. It also doesn’t help that the reaction shot of people about to die on a planet looked a hell of a lot like Coruscant

This happened in this thread too, everyone understandably just assumed that was Coruscant when the movie opened because like, surely they'd have mentioned if it wasn't?

There's some deleted Leia dialogue when Rey meets up with her that IIRC went into some more detail about the geopolitical landscape of the time, but I guess they realized it would never work or/and were afraid to have any political machination chat given the general reputation the prequel movies had with folks?

Honestly it would have made sense if the First Order blew it up and then the second half of the movie was like six months later or something.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

kidkissinger posted:

How would anyone even know about Luke's sacrifice outside of word of mouth from the ten survivors?

Most people didnt give a poo poo about the resistance apparently so why would they care that they effectively got wiped out?

There were probably several thousand First Order troops down there, and by god, if you saw Luke walk out, take a bajillion lasers and not flinch, and then toy with Kylo Ren before, presumably, teleporting away, you would gossip that poo poo up with your buddies at the bar on leave

I have to say, the tuning fork lightsaber is even more ridiculous than it sounded on paper. Of course that'll be some ~alt-history~ Rey that shows up for two seconds in a dream sequence, so its whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

General Dog posted:

I have an extremely difficult time believing Disney would pay 4 billion for Lucasfilm while also allowing some weird ticky-tack stipulation that Lucas gets paid every time someone says "Coruscant" or "Luke Skywalker". Stranger things have happened, but it doesn't seem likely.

I mean Lucas is the guy who just about directed A New Hope for free in exchange for merchandising rights, he knows what's up.

Plus remember, $4 billion is nothing for Star Wars, Force Awakens made more than $4 billion in box office, by itself. That's not even counting ANY other merchandise/shows/spinoffs/toys/whatever. Disney definitely did well there.

Still have to lol at how poorly planned out this trilogy was though, even if they were going to go with different directors not having any entire basic story laid out ahead of time was nuts.