Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I like this post, and it just hammers home the fact that I really do want a documentary about the restoration process of film from start to Blu-Ray.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I thought a part of it is Mike Judge also isn't happy with some of the episodes, so he'd rather not release those on home video. But I could be wrong on that.

And as others said, the music videos

That's what the note on the first volume of the Mike Judge Collection said. I feel like he more likely just cut out the more controversial episodes. There were a few episodes that sometimes show up on YouTube for a while, and yeah, I know why they're swept under the rug.

The most egregious part of the Mike Judge Collection is that they completely chopped up some of the episodes that weren't quite standard, such as the Christmas Episode. If you can get a hold of the earlier Time Life set, you at least get that one in proper order (without videos sadly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Now consider something like Daria, which relied heavily on MTV's then-current songscape for its transition and background music... you think MTV wants to pay 17 different music labels so they can get the bridge to Living La Vida Loca playing before the commercial break?
There are definitely a couple of episodes where a joke doesn't work without a specific song ("Everybody Hurts" when Trent's van is stuck in traffic in "Road Worrier," Jane getting paintballed to "Rooster" in "The Daria Hunter") or have really iconic scenes where the music played a part ("What Do You Want from Me?" in "Quinn the Brain"). But as someone who really, really liked the series when it was on, I'm not sure how much of "needing the original music" is just nostalgia and how much of it is the music actually lending something to the scene.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Some turbo-nerd put the music back into Daria but I think they only got a through the first season.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

In general, I think people care way too much about original music in TV shows. It rarely ruins the enjoyment for me. The one that always stood out to me is Married with Children couldn't even license the theme song for a home release. But hey, it allowed them to sell that 21 disc set for like $25 which is what that show should cost.

The real crime is when studios put out TV shows using the cut syndicated episodes rather than the full length ones. There's no excuse for that (although usually it seems to happen by mistake).

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
WKRP licensed a lot of music for its initial run but didn’t always have the rights for syndication and didn’t have them for DVD release either. The music was considered one of the reasons for the shows popularity. There are some episodes where specific songs were a plot point as well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

WKRP licensed a lot of music for its initial run but didn’t always have the rights for syndication and didn’t have them for DVD release either. The music was considered one of the reasons for the shows popularity. There are some episodes where specific songs were a plot point as well.

This is true but I watched the first season with soundalike music and enjoyed it just fine. At the time, the other seasons weren't available. Then Shoutfactory released all four seasons with most (all?) of the music in-tact, but it cost $100 for the set. I wasn't about to pay that, but I probably would have paid $15/season without the music.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

wa27 posted:

In general, I think people care way too much about original music in TV shows. It rarely ruins the enjoyment for me. The one that always stood out to me is Married with Children couldn't even license the theme song for a home release. But hey, it allowed them to sell that 21 disc set for like $25 which is what that show should cost.

The real crime is when studios put out TV shows using the cut syndicated episodes rather than the full length ones. There's no excuse for that (although usually it seems to happen by mistake).

The worst example of this is the 90s Outer Limits. All that hot 90s Canadian nudity, lost like tears in rain.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Music publishers will ask for ridiculous amounts. The 2008 animated feature Sita Sings the Blues, which was made primarily by one animator (Nina Paley) in Flash, had some 1920s jazz songs with recordings in the public domain. It turned out the publishing rights had not lapsed and the publishers wanted close to $250,000 to use 11 songs. Paley ultimately negotiated it down to $50,000; but had to take out a loan since it cost more than what it did to actually make the film.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Look, all I want is for Disney to buy everything so we can get the uncut Muppet show. Okay.

Is that too much to ask?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wait, the gently caress, Married with Children is missing the theme song on the DVDs? What? That show just feels wrong without that song.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wait, the gently caress, Married with Children is missing the theme song on the DVDs? What? That show just feels wrong without that song.

Adding insult to injury, I think the cheap complete DVD set is from Mill Creek.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/CriterionCast/status/1166032653860007936

This reminds me that I haven't seen Paranoia Agent since it ran on Toonami back in my high school days and I've been itching to rewatch it. I can't believe it ain't streaming anywhere.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

Adding insult to injury, I think the cheap complete DVD set is from Mill Creek.

I mean, that tracks, I'm just amazed they would bother if they couldn't get Love & Marriage.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd rather have a B&B set that cuts out the music videos, which is the only time licensed music plays in them, than nothing.

E: Similar to Married with Children, that lovely Birds of Prey TV show also doesn't have it's theme song. The weird thing is the song is by a woman who didn't go on to do anything, and the album the song was meant to be on never even actually go released.

And Constantine, the show, which came out well after DVD and blu-ray were a thing, is missing a Sex Pistols song integral to the climax in the second or third episode. So what the gently caress happened there.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Oddly enough, there's never been any issues with Kenneth Anger's Scorpio Rising despite having a wall-to-wall soundtrack of early-60s pop songs. Apparently, Anger's licensing deal in 1964 (which cost him only $20,000 at the time) included rights in perpetuity.

Likewise, the final episode of The Prisoner uses All You Need is Love in its entirety, but apparently it was licensed as a favor because the Beatles were fans of the show.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In video games, Alan Wake was pulled from digital stores for a while due to music licensing issues. You still could redownload it if you already owned it, but no new purchases were allowed for a year or two.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The DVD sets of House use a Massive Attack knock off theme song, in Australia at least. It never aired here with the original Teardrop credits either, so when I tried watching HD rips it was an actual surprise when Massive Attack started playing.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

Iron Crowned posted:

I like this post, and it just hammers home the fact that I really do want a documentary about the restoration process of film from start to Blu-Ray.

Agreed. I would watch hundreds of hours in as much detail as possible about this process.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

It's not extensive or anything but there's a How It's Made segment about digitizing film and it talks a bit about restoration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4aZ5fCqLf8

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There's good restoration docs on these releases:

Lawrence of Arabia (Deluxe Blu-ray set)
The Godfather Trilogy
The Apu Trilogy
All the Cinerama releases from Flicker Alley
Most of Kino Lorber's classic 3D releases (some are even in 3-D)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hoping to grab a copy of Apocalypse Now at Best Buy after work, we'll see how it goes. Always an adventure at Best Buy!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Hoping to grab a copy of Apocalypse Now at Best Buy after work, we'll see how it goes. Always an adventure at Best Buy!

Looks like mine will be waiting in my mailbox today.

Too bad I can't really take advantage of Dolby Atmos tracks yet. Just for fun, I looked at some of the receivers and speakers... a bare minimum set up (7.1.2) would cost something like $2000.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Egbert Souse posted:

Too bad I can't really take advantage of Dolby Atmos tracks yet. Just for fun, I looked at some of the receivers and speakers... a bare minimum set up (7.1.2) would cost something like $2000.
You could always get a Dolby Atmos Sound Bar!
:eng99:

(I'm only half kidding. Got one for work and it's loud)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

You could always get a Dolby Atmos Sound Bar!
:eng99:

(I'm only half kidding. Got one for work and it's loud)

Interesting to see them cram it all into a soundbar and remote surrounds. My current soundbar setup is normal 5.1 and handles well.

From a quick look at my collection, I have only about 25 titles max with 7.1, Atmos, or DTS X (about 18 if I don't count some unnecessary 7.1 remixes on monaural films), so I don't know how much of an enhancement it would be.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I, Butthole posted:

The DVD sets of House use a Massive Attack knock off theme song, in Australia at least. It never aired here with the original Teardrop credits either, so when I tried watching HD rips it was an actual surprise when Massive Attack started playing.

Streaming in the US gets you the knockoff, too, but the subs still say Massive Attack is playing

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I put the first episode of Invader Zim through my digital upscaling workflow.

I'm... not really sure if I like how it came out. Waifu2x and Adobe's algorithm both seemed to produce kinda jank results, but Adobe at least let me just let it run for 12 hours while I slept instead of making me babysit it, so it won that battle. Premiere also tried to eat the sound from my original source, so that wasn't good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm. At least watching on my phone, if I didn't know that was upscaled I'd think it was true HD. Since I did know, I was looking for the telltale signs and definitely saw them. So, mixed bag, but ultimately a success in the end. Well done!

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1167441323827302400

November Arrow announcements are up.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (UK)
Apprentice to Murder (US/CA)
Flowers in the Attic (US/CA)
Hitch Hike to Hell (US/CA/UK)
Robocop (US/CA/UK)

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1167440283031789569
Pretty decent looking steelbook for Robocop

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Is the print any different?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Those robocop discs are dope, but I can't imagine the scan is different or better than the last release

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

That RoboCop will make a septuple-dip for me. I regret nothing.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Probably the same 4k scan as before. Here's the bonus features:
https://arrowfilms.com/product-deta...xkvjGiwfnAo1UI8

quote:

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative by MGM, transferred in 2013 and approved by director Paul Verhoeven
Newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
Director’s Cut and Theatrical Cut of the film on two High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ discs
Original lossless stereo and four-channel mixes plus DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround sound option on both cuts
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts
Six collector’s postcards (Limited Edition exclusive)
Double-sided, fold-out poster (Limited Edition exclusive)
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
Limited edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Omar Ahmed, Christopher Griffiths and Henry Blyth, a 1987 Fangoria interview with Rob Bottin, and archive publicity materials (some contents exclusive to Limited Edition)

DISC ONE – DIRECTOR’S CUT

Archive commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier (originally recorded for the Theatrical Cut and re-edited in 2014 for the Director’s Cut)
New commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
New commentary by fans Christopher Griffiths, Gary Smart and Eastwood Allen
The Future of Law Enforcement: Creating RoboCop, a newly filmed interview with co-writer Michael Miner
RoboTalk, a newly filmed conversation between co-writer Ed Neumeier and filmmakers David Birke (writer of Elle) and Nick McCarthy (director of Orion Pictures’ The Prodigy)
Truth of Character, a newly filmed interview with star Nancy Allen on her role as Lewis
Casting Old Detroit, a newly filmed interview with casting director Julie Selzer on how the film’s ensemble cast was assembled
Connecting the Shots, a newly filmed interview with second unit director and frequent Verhoeven collaborator Mark Goldblatt
Composing RoboCop, a new tribute to composer Basil Poledouris featuring film music experts Jeff Bond, Lukas Kendall, Daniel Schweiger and Robert Townson
RoboProps, a newly filmed tour of super-fan Julien Dumont’s collection of original props and memorabilia
2012 Q&A with the Filmmakers, a panel discussion featuring Verhoeven, Davison, Neumeier, Miner, Allen, star Peter Weller and animator Phil Tippett
RoboCop: Creating a Legend, Villains of Old Detroit and Special Effects: Then & Now, three archive featurettes from 2007 featuring interviews with cast and crew
Paul Verhoeven Easter Egg
Four deleted scenes
The Boardroom: Storyboard with Commentary by Phil Tippett
Director’s Cut Production Footage, raw dailies from the filming of the unrated gore scenes
Two theatrical trailers and three TV spots
Extensive image galleries

DISC TWO – THEATRICAL CUT

Archive commentary by director Paul Verhoeven, executive producer Jon Davison and co-writer Ed Neumeier (originally recorded for Theatrical version of the film)
Two Isolated Score tracks (Composer’s Original Mix and Final Theatrical Mix) in lossless stereo
Edited-for-television version of the film, featuring alternate dubs, takes and edits of several scenes (95 mins, SD only)
Split screen comparison of Theatrical and Director’s Cuts
Robocop: Edited For Television, a compilation of alternate scenes from two edited-for-television versions, newly transferred in HD from recently-unearthed 35mm elements

Also, crossposting this because I've been waiting for these to go on sale (not the hideous steelbooks specifically, but for this price I'll take it):

FancyMike posted:

Best Buy exclusive 4k Matrix steelbooks are on sale right now.

Trilogy $30: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-matrix-trilogy-steelbook-includes-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-only--best-buy/6344901.p?skuId=6344901
sold out, maybe available in store? It also looks 4k only

Individual movies $13/ea:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-ma...p?skuId=6289699
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-ma...p?skuId=6289682
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-ma...p?skuId=6289670
Even uglier, but they at least include everything on discs

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 30, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've got an older Robocop blu that I think is very bare bones, I don't even know if it's the director's cut or what. I'll probably pick up that steelbook, it looks nice.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Couldn't help myself. Preordered Robocop

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

gey muckle mowser posted:

I've got an older Robocop blu that I think is very bare bones, I don't even know if it's the director's cut or what. I'll probably pick up that steelbook, it looks nice.

The director's cut has been on every home release since the original Criterion DVD.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've never bought Robocop on home video because the early Blu-rays were supposed to be garbage. So I'll probably grab it. That's always what's infuriating about collecting movies. You'll have something that just about everyone wants, and you gently caress it up the first time with a lousy transfer and/or no special features, then wait years to do it right.

Back when DVD hit its stride every garbage movie under the sun had hours of special features. Then by the mid-2000s they figured out that most people didn't care, and that was the end of that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's cool that Arrow did Robocop, but I'd most likely never watch any of those special features and a bunch of them are probably on that old blu-ray. I never got the more recent blu-ray which I really should, but it can be had for like five bucks so I don't feel the need to pay thirty for a fancy box.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

Back when DVD hit its stride every garbage movie under the sun had hours of special features. Then by the mid-2000s they figured out that most people didn't care, and that was the end of that.

Early DVD was wild. Bounce got a 2 disc special edition

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition DVD was loving bonkers. That was the first DVD I got too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CPL593H posted:

The Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition DVD was loving bonkers. That was the first DVD I got too.

I had that one but got it too late to get the metal slipcover. My friend got the Extreme Edition that had a god drat 1080p copy of the movie on the second disc. This is 2003.