Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/mattweaveraw/status/1165471983989153795

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Was this the oldest possible podium out of the drivers in this race? Or close to it, I think Seabass is older than Ed.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

IOwnCalculus posted:

Was this the oldest possible podium out of the drivers in this race? Or close to it, I think Seabass is older than Ed.

yeah, he's older and I think RHR is too

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Sato made a statement.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Epic race

lol Newgarden

Sato :japan:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://jalopnik.com/santino-ferrucci-doesnt-seem-too-sorry-about-all-of-tha-1837582647

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
like i fuckin hate him too but i don't think it's crazy that a sport chockfulla chuds is all-in on lionizing the next young chud

it's felt inevitable since he made the switch

edit: i obviously want better from the sport, i feel like that needs to be said, but i'm still not surprised

mactheknife fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 26, 2019

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Gateway was Sato (42), Carpenter (38), and Kanaan (44), a combined 124 years. This beats Sato's last win at Barber, which was Sato (42), Dixon (38 at the time, now 39), and Bourdais (40), with a combined 120 years. So no, Gateway was not the oldest possible podium combination on the grid, as Dixon in place of Carpenter would've been.

Speaking of ages, RHR and Power are in their late 30's, with Pagenaud not far behind, then Kimball, Hinch, and Rahal, in that order. After that the rest of the series is in their 20's on down.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

mactheknife posted:

like i fuckin hate him too but i don't think it's crazy that a sport chockfulla chuds is all-in on lionizing the next young chud

it's felt inevitable since he made the switch

edit: i obviously want better from the sport, i feel like that needs to be said, but i'm still not surprised

Also all the way “hmm this seems wrong” types when Sato won and they felt uncomfortable putting a Japanese man on the Borg Warner because of Pearl loving Harbour.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Fun Fact: Ferrucci is now 9th in points

OhsH posted:

:toxx: ban my account if ferruci doesnt top 10 in the standings.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Ferrucci becoming one of the top drivers would be one of the few things to get me to actually stop following IndyCar, other than Tony George getting appointed chairman again or something.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm more surprised that they've embraced a guy who got run out of an F2 team for crashing into and then harassing his teammate and no one seems to give a poo poo about it.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Apparently we no longer give people a second chance. The kid hosed up royal over in Europe and burned more bridges than Kevin Brennan.

But he came over Stateside where, last I checked, we believe in such things as second chances, and he's proving that it was worth it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"Second chances" are the things people give you when you're a rich kid, like Ferrucci.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Big Huski Boi posted:

I'm more surprised that they've embraced a guy who got run out of an F2 team for crashing into and then harassing his teammate and no one seems to give a poo poo about it.

I think you are overestimating how much anyone is the US knows or cares about F2.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reynold posted:

So no, Gateway was not the oldest possible podium combination on the grid, as Dixon in place of Carpenter would've been.

You mean Bourdais :v:

For shits and grins I checked Mario's last win in 1993, since he was 53 at the time - but with a young-ish Raul Boesel and an actually-young Jimmy Vasser on the podium they only combined 115 years.

Oldest total podium I can find so far? The 1953 Pikes Peak Hillclimb, with Louis Unser, Keith Andrews, and Al Rogers at 134 years.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Big Huski Boi posted:

In my brief time of watching indycar it seems the fan base just loves it that literally anyone ever comes to IndyCar with zero regard to driver quality and standards.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KingShibby posted:

Apparently we no longer give people a second chance. The kid hosed up royal over in Europe and burned more bridges than Kevin Brennan.

But he came over Stateside where, last I checked, we believe in such things as second chances, and he's proving that it was worth it.

When it comes to dangerous driving? No, I think if you gently caress up bad enough to get kicked out of one series that should be taken seriously. And it’s obvious he doesn’t feel he needs to change his behavior.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

he's learned a whole lot from that second chance, according to the article

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ferrucci can suck my rear end

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

KingShibby posted:

second chances exist for people who are in any way apologetic, which santino isn't.

Also, no second chances for nazis because they don't fit the first criteria of "people"

anyone who is a santino apologist is a racist sympathizer hth

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

ferrucci can suck my rear end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mactheknife posted:

he's learned a whole lot from that second chance, according to the article

rich kids get second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth chances. they're the same the world over. there's no reason for them to apologize.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

rich kids get second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth chances. they're the same the world over. there's no reason for them to apologize.

I mean why should he when PT is practically groveling at his feet as-is?

To date, him being a pile of poo poo has yet to have any real, lasting consequence, and probably never will. gently caress him and gently caress giving him another chance.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

You mean Bourdais :v:

Yah

drgitlin posted:

When it comes to dangerous driving? No, I think if you gently caress up bad enough to get kicked out of one series that should be taken seriously. And it’s obvious he doesn’t feel he needs to change his behavior.

Ferrucci got the boot by Trident, after his 2 race suspension by FIA. He is not banned from the series at all. Plenty of drivers have hosed up and lost their rides, only to turn up elsewhere later on without having to put up with people making GBS threads all over them. Allmendinger is one of the most entertaining people to watch this year when he's in an xfinity series car, for example.

It's real rich hearing Newgarden himself and others whine about people "driving dangerously" in the final turns at Gateway after what he pulled on his own teammate in the same place at the same track just two years ago. I mean, this is a sport and people are gonna like who they wanna like, but crying about one driver's behavior while ignoring another's isn't gonna prove any point.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Spare me the crybaby patriotism, thanks. Second chances are earned, not given, he hasn't done poo poo to earn one other than be a rich kid for whom everyone looks the other way. He literally just admitted he learned nothing from his actions.

Cygni posted:

I think you are overestimating how much anyone is the US knows or cares about F2.

The people owning and running teams should probably not hide behind "INDYCAR IS BIG AND SPECIAL AND WE DON'T HAVE TO CARE ABOUT EUROPE!" when doing due diligence on the people they hire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reynold posted:

It's real rich hearing Newgarden himself and others whine about people "driving dangerously" in the final turns at Gateway after what he pulled on his own teammate in the same place at the same track just two years ago.

Newgarden's move on Pagenaud was two cars, at race pace, running side by side.

Ferucci was moving at a comparative crawl and trying to dive for the racing line to block a much faster car half a corner behind.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

KingShibby posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Shibby.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

imagine trying to take the moral high ground of being in america in 2019

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Peanut President posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Shibby.

:hmmyes:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Newgarden's move on Pagenaud was two cars, at race pace, running side by side.

Ferucci was moving at a comparative crawl and trying to dive for the racing line to block a much faster car half a corner behind.

Making contact with another car on purpose to bump them off the line isn't any different. In 2017 Newgarden was fed up after Power's zig-zag shennanigans at Pocono the previous race and wanted to make it known he wasn't gonna let people block his championship run anymore. He hit a teammate on purpose and almost put another driver in the wall as a result. It's the same thing.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I might, might be down for a Ferrucci redemption story if he did anything to show actual remorse or contrition for the behaviors that got him kicked out of Europe. Instead both he and the media seem to have this weird nonaggression pact of saying nothing about it and just pretending he's this impressive blank slate.

Plus, I mean, come on, the dude just looks like a douchebag.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean why should he when PT is practically groveling at his feet as-is?

lol and gently caress PT to death too

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mactheknife posted:

lol and gently caress PT to death too

I didn't always feel this way, but with how quickly PT jumps on anything Ferucci does... yeah, same.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I didn't always feel this way, but with how quickly PT jumps on anything Ferucci does... yeah, same.

i've hated his guts since he was a driver

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Space Racist posted:

I might, might be down for a Ferrucci redemption story if he did anything to show actual remorse or contrition for the behaviors that got him kicked out of Europe. Instead both he and the media seem to have this weird nonaggression pact of saying nothing about it and just pretending he's this impressive blank slate.

Yep, it’s this, combined with having Sean Hannity’s charity appear at least last year on the car. Using all the press you’re getting to say “I was a kid, I hosed up, I want to focus and do better” is one thing and a step toward earning a second chance, but he hasn’t done even that.

Not even a fake-rear end reprisal of “well I was a hot-blooded Italian-American, you know how things get,” which is what he said after the F2 stuff last year.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Big Huski Boi posted:

The people owning and running teams should probably not hide behind "INDYCAR IS BIG AND SPECIAL AND WE DON'T HAVE TO CARE ABOUT EUROPE!" when doing due diligence on the people they hire.

The hiring procedure for poo poo tier racing teams all over the globe isn't and will never be any more than "Oh your daddy has money? Here's a seat for you!"

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Mmmm ferrucci owns and my toxxes for both stroll and ferrucci clearing will make me loving intolerable in every thread.

Even more so than now.

Spaced God posted:

second chances exist for people who are in any way apologetic, which santino isn't.

Also, no second chances for nazis because they don't fit the first criteria of "people"

anyone who is a santino apologist is a racist sympathizer hth

Stick to twitter

Things bad in racing: their political opinions.

Things good in racing: my political opinions.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 27, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

bad posters vs bad posters, who will win (no one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Imagine that, lovely human beings can be good at driving race cars.

If Ferrucci is as bad as we all know he is, he'll gently caress things over for himself in Indycar. Hopefully it will just be as a result of burning too many bridges and nothing nefarious on the track.