Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

mik posted:

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are actually p good

They are. I just use them for daily driving but I hit a fucker of a pothole last week and they took it like a champ. It was a sharp concrete ridge and I was on the brakes so weight transfer was all on my front end. It was enough to bend my rim (that I just got straightened, for fucks sake) but no damage the tire. I was far from home with no spare and thought I was hosed. Dammit Pennsylvania,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

mik posted:

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are actually p good

I think my brother got these on his FiST and is happy with them. The Firestone shop, however broke the body clips on his sideskirt trying to raise the car with a floor jack or something in an improper way.

That being said it looks like this tire doesn't come in a size to fit the TTS 20" wheels (255-30r20, I believe).

What would y'all recommend looking at when we eventually have to replace the OEM tires? Michelin's are nice but $$$$.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 24, 2019

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shy boy from chess club posted:

They are. I just use them for daily driving but I hit a fucker of a pothole last week and they took it like a champ. It was a sharp concrete ridge and I was on the brakes so weight transfer was all on my front end. It was enough to bend my rim (that I just got straightened, for fucks sake) but no damage the tire. I was far from home with no spare and thought I was hosed. Dammit Pennsylvania,

I had this happen and it tore the wall. The shops I took it to refused to fix the wheel. Are they really unable to be re-melted and fixed?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

JollyPubJerk posted:

I had this happen and it tore the wall. The shops I took it to refused to fix the wheel. Are they really unable to be re-melted and fixed?

The shop I use has some kind of setup the guy made that uses a porta-power to push stuff back into shape. No melting as far as I know of.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Really no poo poo? My point is why are you wasting time to go look at a car that has MPG unacceptable to you

Late back on this but the book consumption was approaching 30mpg. If it was 25 I could swing it, 16-20 doesn't. It was worth looking at it because I now know what extras I want on the eventual A7 purchase.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The only TDIs using AdBlue are the Passat iirc.

My 2015 SportWagen has AdBlue.

Curious about the comments on highway driving.

Our SportWagen TDI drives about an hour round trip a day highway for the work commute, so it definitely fits what we needed it for efficiency wise. It is also our road trip car and getting 500 miles per tank is nice.

But what do you mean with around town? I haven’t been too observant on the mpgs in-town but when I just glance at the rating and gauge it doesn’t seem that bad. Still in the high 20s/low 30s with conservative driving.

Or are you referring to pollution?

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 25, 2019

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Kinda feel like this too. If your budget is that high the cost of fuel is relatively tiny.

A 2013 is probably what 20k used?

I think the A7 is the way to go personally, but I'm kinda meh on high horsepower dailies.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there any chance Audi will bring back the non-RS6 Avant? Can't seem to find any mention of it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

i thought you had a sport trim model?

Oh derp, NO keyless entry.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Is there any chance Audi will bring back the non-RS6 Avant? Can't seem to find any mention of it.

I almost put off buying my S5 waiting for it. But every article I’ve seen since says we aren’t getting the avant, at least in 2020.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I wish they'd brought the 2019 S6 Avant TDI here :smith:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

anyone know what's involved and/or the cost in replacing the headliner in a MkV rabbit? Mine's starting to give out pretty bad.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

minivanmegafun posted:

anyone know what's involved and/or the cost in replacing the headliner in a MkV rabbit? Mine's starting to give out pretty bad.

I just had mine replaced in my B7 S4. I found an automotive upholstery shop that removed the entire top shell in one piece and redid it. They had to remove the windshield in the process, to get the shell out. They warned me it could break, and as my luck would have it, it did. With the windshield replacement it was just under $500. I think it was about a 50/50 split in cost between the headliner replacement and the windshield.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mine gave up last year sometime I've just been stapling it back up when it comes down.
I pulled the fabric off of the arm rests on the front doors and scrubbed all the sticky foam off and painted the underneaty part with some black paint.
I'll probably just do that with the headliner too it doesn't look that bad it looks way better than the half falling off fabric anyways.

Superior German adhesives:rolleyes:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CommieGIR posted:

I wish they'd brought the 2019 S6 Avant TDI here :smith:

this would sell even less well than the RS6

edit: test driving a Mk.VII Golf Sportwagen S 4motion on Friday, any of you goons have experiences? I see that Alltrack sunroofs are all hosed up but I am not getting a hole in the ceiling.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this would sell even less well than the RS6

TDIs have big dick sales energy.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: test driving a Mk.VII Golf Sportwagen S 4motion on Friday, any of you goons have experiences? I see that Alltrack sunroofs are all hosed up but I am not getting a hole in the ceiling.

I heard that even the no-sunroof ones are still prone to leaking somehow, because Volkswagen. I don't know if that's actually true, though...

It's a real shame because I really want an Alltrack but I don't want a loving endless water intrusion nightmare. There are some dumb things I can tolerate but that's not one of them.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I know my mk7 R has 4motion, is a bad beast and I'd buy it again tomorrow. Dunno how much that helps.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Deviant posted:

I know my mk7 R has 4motion, is a bad beast and I'd buy it again tomorrow. Dunno how much that helps.

It helps a little, one of my goals is to crank up the 1.8 to a respectable ~220hp and do some suspension fuckery so I basically get an AWD GTI wagon.

How is the haldex 4motion experience? where are you located (for weather purposes)? I have only driven subaru AWD for real and I want to know how much i can indulge my WRC fantasies in the wagon.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It helps a little, one of my goals is to crank up the 1.8 to a respectable ~220hp and do some suspension fuckery so I basically get an AWD GTI wagon.

How is the haldex 4motion experience? where are you located (for weather purposes)? I have only driven subaru AWD for real and I want to know how much i can indulge my WRC fantasies in the wagon.

I like the awd, it really grabs the road but you'll have to drive it to see. I'm in Florida so snow is never an issue but sometimes in the wet. I get a good ride on low end tires, and i expect it to get better when I put pilot sport 4s on it

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
I'd also want to know what you guys who have driven both think of Haldex quattro vs Torsen quattro. Like an A3 vs A4. Seems if you get torque vectoring or whatever on the torsen system it might be negated in a car primarily designed for comfort.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Styles Bitchley posted:

I'd also want to know what you guys who have driven both think of Haldex quattro vs Torsen quattro. Like an A3 vs A4. Seems if you get torque vectoring or whatever on the torsen system it might be negated in a car primarily designed for comfort.

Haldex tends to get poo poo on a lot, largely because its not really full time AWD, its only AWD when needed versus Torsen which is true AWD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgX4vJYx-4U

Honestly, the Haldex feels fine, but I'm biased towards the Torsen.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 27, 2019

wasey
Apr 6, 2009
Are any of the alltracks' moonroofs safe? Like if you find a 2017-2018 MY and there isn't any sign of a leak is it reasonable to assume you're good? Or is this more of a when problem rather than an if problem? This car is on my shortlist but I can't deal with that big of a problem

wasey fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 27, 2019

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
No. It is just a fact of VW sunroofs sucking big time. Either the sunroof will crack, the surrounding trim will crack, the drain plugs will plug and leak inside, or something else asinine.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’m up in Toronto, Canada and my sister has a TTRS. She drives it all year round and she’s only ever had a problem in the winter with ground clearance, never with traction.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

~my wife~ is stoked up about the panoramic sunroof how bad of an idea is it

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
This probably been posted but first I saw it. Some systemic issue with 2019 GTIs and GLIs stalling out, apparently people are taking to the dealer and getting buybacks.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51247

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like mine, but I've heard of kicked up rocks shattering ir.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

only way to get the pano sunroof was on a $32k SE with the driver's assistance package so that got killed off right quick

S manual with some accessories in silk blue with a tan interior, $25,475 including destination and delivery

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

wasey posted:

Are any of the alltracks' moonroofs safe? Like if you find a 2017-2018 MY and there isn't any sign of a leak is it reasonable to assume you're good? Or is this more of a when problem rather than an if problem? This car is on my shortlist but I can't deal with that big of a problem

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

we bought one and the roof leaked and then they fixed it and it appears to be fine

car is rad otherwise

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah dealer fixed mine and it works like a champ.

Tbh if you read about ANY car with a sunroof this is a possible issue. Not saying that makes it better, I am saying that its a risk for any car fwiw. Some just happen more than others.

But I love my car (SportWagen with pano sunroof) so I guess that’s how you get suckered for anything really.

Also fwiw: I have never met anyone that didn’t like their VW and I have a buddy who is an absolute Honda lover who is itching to get another GTI except for the fact that he has 3 kids.

Cars today are going to gently caress you over in some way with recalls or whatever. No brand is safe it seems. Might as well just get one you like for whatever reasons. Try not to be too stupid about it but at least maybe you know what to look for if you get one. Get a warranty or whatever.

Edit: do NEW cars have a factory warranty on it anyway? I would think it is covered under manufacturer defects. I bought used but you can find my story earlier in the thread. After the class action lawsuit and recall on early sunroofs I would hope VW straightened their poo poo out.

Also find an Alltrack community. There is deffo a forums community with Alltrack enthusiasts and mechs to help you.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 3, 2019

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Got this link in an email today and I'm excited.

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-rs6-avant-preview

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
$112k.

I want the S6 TDI Avant

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

$112k.

I want the S6 TDI Avant

Are they trying to be the budget alternative to the E63s wagon?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

Yeah dealer fixed mine and it works like a champ.

Tbh if you read about ANY car with a sunroof this is a possible issue. Not saying that makes it better, I am saying that its a risk for any car fwiw. Some just happen more than others.

But I love my car (SportWagen with pano sunroof) so I guess that’s how you get suckered for anything really

Edit: do NEW cars have a factory warranty on it anyway? I would think it is covered under manufacturer defects. I bought used but you can find my story earlier in the thread. After the class action lawsuit and recall on early sunroofs I would hope VW straightened their poo poo out.

Also find an Alltrack community. There is deffo a forums community with Alltrack enthusiasts and mechs to help you.

Thanks! I did not get the sunroof as the delta in price was like 20%, not worth it and now I don’t have to worry about it. It would have been covered under the 6/72 warranty but recurring issues of that complexity are a pain.

For what it’s worth - VW is particularly bad at sunroofs, as is JLR. No, most other OEMs do not have water ingress problems with sunroofs necessitating a class action lawsuit.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah I 100% will avoid a sunroof in any car from now on. Good move.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

$112k.

I want the S6 TDI Avant

Okay, it’s neat having a wagon, but $40-45k more neat? Same applies to the E63 wagon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The E63AMG wagon is like six thousand dollars more than the sedan.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Oops you’re right I was comparing it to the non-AMG e450 wagon not the AMG sedan.

Which makes the RS6 Avant price premium even more ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

howdoesishotweb posted:

Oops you’re right I was comparing it to the non-AMG e450 wagon not the AMG sedan.

Which makes the RS6 Avant price premium even more ridiculous.

I can’t read.

rally fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 5, 2019