Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I show up on google all the time and I submitted my twitter timeline to the list of copyrighted materials / prior arts to be exempted from when starting my current job. Keep the lawyers busy :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

haveblue posted:

props to the right wingnut radio guy who owns literally every google result for my name

high five right wingnut radio name crew.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hello, art

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Truga posted:

if you show up on google you've done hosed up mate

nah it’s fine I changed my name to tavis

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

MononcQc posted:

I show up on google all the time and I submitted my twitter timeline to the list of copyrighted materials / prior arts to be exempted from when starting my current job. Keep the lawyers busy :mrgw:

someone do this with their post history and report back

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

someone do this with their post history and report back

I almost did it, but I avoided providing the links since I mentioned my negotiating process in the interviewing thread here.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Soricidus posted:

there are advantages to not being the only person who shows up when a prospective boss googles your name

i share a name with a guy who got executed in texas so I'm basically invisible to google

edit: I'll qualify that with a "casual". ofc LinkedIn gets me so rip

also it's not like I have a very common last name either, and yet some dingus still keeps on signing me up to job banks. poor fucker must be wondering why nobody is replying to him.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 26, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

how did you escape

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

how did you escape

i was 3 at the time and they never suspected me at all, I just pinned it on the other guy and went for a nap.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2019/Aug/24

quote:

Hard-coded credentials on ProGrade/Lierda Grill Temperature Monitor [CVE-2019-15304]
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 23:50:36 -0400
[Author:] Tim Tepatti
[Website:] tepatti.com

[Title:] Hard-coded credentials on ProGrade/Lierda Grill Temperature
Monitor [CVE-2019-15304]

[Product:] Grill Temperature Monitor
[Manufacturer:] ProGrade / Lierda
[Affected Version(s):] V1.00_50006
[Tested Version(s):] V1.00_50006
[Vulnerability Type:] Use of hard-coded credentials (CWE ID 798)
[CVE Reference:] CVE-2019-15304

[TL;DR:]

ProGrade/Lierda Grill Temperature Monitor V1.00_50006 has a default
password of admin for the admin account, which allows an attacker to
cause a Denial of Service or Information Disclosure via the
undocumented access-point configuration page located on the device.

[Long Info:]

ProGrade/Lierda Grill Temperature Monitor V1.00_50006 has a default
password of admin for the admin account, which allows an attacker to
cause a Denial of Service or Information Disclosure via the
undocumented access-point configuration page located on the device.

The access point configuration page is never made known to the end
user - the user is never supposed to access it or change any of the
options, and as such, the end user has no idea that an attacker could
access this page. This is different than a normal access point or
internet router where the administration page is required for setup
and configuration, and the end user is made aware of the risk of
default credentials. This makes the vulnerability more severe because
the attack vector is something which the end user wasn't aware even
operated on their device.

Additionally, there were two vendors provided because Lierda is a
wholesaler who actually created the device, and ProGrade simply
re-branded the device for the American market. This way, both
customers will be aware of the security vulnerabilities in the
product.

[Technical Info:]

[Default Web Server IP:] 11.11.11.254
[Default Web Server Port:] 80

[Reference(s):] http://progradegrill.com/wifi-grilling-thermometer/

i am the grill master who cannot visually determine if the meat is ready

tbf i am vegetarian so i wouldn't know somewhat

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
just use a regular goddamn meat thermometer

(not you lain, the mofos this is targeting)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im [Default Web Server IP:] 11.11.11.254

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Chris Knight posted:

just use a regular goddamn meat thermometer

seriously

my instant-read led thermometer feels like an extravagance in a world where "gigantic needle with a bimetallic strip dial on it" has been invented. it is a thing i use often but it doesn't need loving wi-fi

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 27, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The only meat I'd consider eyeballing doneness on is fish, everything else gets poked with the instant read thermometer.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

thermapens are worth every cent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
*waits patiently for subjunctive to link to his web enabled meat thermometer*

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
Monitor your meat on the go!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I need all my accoutrements on my wifi. drat the consequences.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Adhemar posted:

Monitor your meat on the go!
it's not a bad idea to check your privates, even if you're away from home - just don't do it in public please

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

D. Ebdrup posted:

it's not a bad idea to check your privates, even if you're away from home - just don't do it in public please

that's why it's wireless, you appear to be just looking at your phone

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
you guys are insane if you think I’m going to ruin expensive meat with an “eye test”. still funny fuckup though

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
eagerly awaiting the next oven with an IR camera that claims to solve all these internal-temp issues thru magic machine learning

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

JawnV6 posted:

eagerly awaiting the next oven with an IR camera that claims to solve all these internal-temp issues thru magic machine learning

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/06/09/gpu-powered-june-oven/

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Plus, the oven will get smarter thanks to over-the-air software updates

command word: "are you sure we have everything"

action: wait an hour then cook at 500 degrees for 999 hours

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

command word: "are you sure we have everything"

action: wait an hour then cook at 500 degrees for 999 hours
don't worry june smart ovens will already turn to 400f at in the middle of the night without bothering the users

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

they turn on in the middle of the night for no reason.

June Oven owners are reporting preheating incidents
Smart ovens have been turning on overnight and preheating to 400 degrees

Even Wirecutter thinks it's trash:

quote:

June Oven Review: Not the Countertop Oven You Should Buy

Although it works fine as a regular convection oven, the smart programs (meant for automatically preparing basic ingredients like bacon or potatoes) are lacking in quantity and quality. Programs are sometimes frustrating to find in its category-based menu system and often finicky to use: You can increase the cook time only in increments of three or five minutes (depending on the ingredient). The June app can access many more recipes if you pay a subscription fee, but many of the offerings we tried were unappealing, confusingly presented, or poorly tested.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
For a culture that is crazy about bbq, you guys sure don't seem capable of bbq.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
ars Technica reviewed June way back and was so gushy about that dumb gimmick that I swore June must’ve been developed by Condé Nast

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Xarn posted:

Food safety is serious business. I didn't see any comments that indicated a lack of capability to bbq.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

PCjr sidecar posted:

whitehouse.gov in the whitehouse.com breach

whitehouse.com in the streets

whitehouse.gov in the breach

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
this june oven just made me lose my poo poo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hed posted:

ars Technica reviewed June way back and was so gushy about that dumb gimmick that I swore June must’ve been developed by Condé Nast

lol you weren't kidding "sure its more complicated, harder to use, and expensive, but you can watch the food cook!!! no other oven has this feature!"

quote:

With the help of the camera, the June can recognize up to 65 foods and counting. It can differentiate between bagels, toaster waffles, toast, and even corn tortillas, and it will offer a predetermined cook time to ensure the ideal toast, which you can modify based on how toasty you want your bread. If you find that your choice did not render your bread toasty enough, the June automatically suggests an extra 30 seconds of toasting time after every toasting session, so you can inch your way to charred bread in half-minute increments if that's your style.

(A side story about toast: I used to work the breakfast shift in a hotel restaurant, and a regular would specifically request that I put his toast through the toaster four or five times until it was completely blackened and hard. He would eat the charred remains with a squeeze of lemon. He would always joke that his toast would give him cancer, but he was easily 75 years old and showed no signs of slowing his toast roll. To each his own.)

The one issue I had with June's auto-cook system was that the oven seems to require three decisions, rather than one, before it starts toasting. Here's how it works: you throw in your bagels, and the June's touchscreen asks you to confirm that you have input bagels. You touch the small image of the bagel. But then June's touchscreen moves on to a gray screen asking if you want cooking tips, and you have to hit "Continue," then "Toast," to actually start the toasting session. Why would I want tips to get a bagel toasted? I've toasted an unhealthy amount of bagels in my life—I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing here. Forgetting about this weird interstitial screen also caused me to walk away from the toaster before I hit "Continue." Coming back several minutes later to bagels as cold as they were when I took them out of the bag was disappointing but not a deal-breaker. Like Pavlov's dog, I quickly learned the motions required to make my toast desires a reality.

But the absolute best thing about this camera is not that it can tell what you're cooking, but that you can watch what you're cooking as it cooks (and others can, too).

If you open the June app while your food is cooking, you'll be able to select a "live video" screen where you can watch your meat caramelize, your cookies harden, and your chocolate chips melt. When I was cooking something, I would open the app more often than any other app on my phone. It was as addicting as Twitter with none of the trash-fire opinions.

wow watching my food bake so addicting thanks technology since no other oven offers this functionality! lets see what else it can do:

quote:

Cooking whole eggs in the oven is the best feature! The hard-cooked eggs I made in the June tasted just like hard-boiled ones. The advantage here is that if you, like me, make hard-boiled eggs rarely enough that you never remember how long to cook them for but often enough that you're always looking that information up, then the June is a huge help. It takes guesswork and Googling out of the equation and just cooks the eggs for the pre-programmed amount of time.

I never tested to see if cutting the cook time short would result in soft-"boiled" eggs, but I'm guessing the results would be disappointing. Otherwise, June would have made it an option. Soft boiled eggs are easily superior to hard-boiled eggs, but hard-boiled is the best way to make a lot of good egg recipes like egg salad and deviled eggs.

woah its an oven with a timer!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xarn posted:

its true all 300 million of us have smart ovens, youve cracked the big lie

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dead pig brain oven

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

With the help of the camera, the June can recognize up to 65 foods and counting. It can differentiate between bagels, toaster waffles, toast, and even corn tortillas, and it will offer a predetermined cook time to ensure the ideal toast, which you can modify based on how toasty you want your bread. If you find that your choice did not render your bread toasty enough, the June automatically suggests an extra 30 seconds of toasting time after every toasting session, so you can inch your way to charred bread in half-minute increments if that's your style.

lmao why can’t you just use a blowtorch to toast bread like a normal person

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

look at this money bags that can afford to run a blowtorch instead of using a clothes iron like the rest of us

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this might sound like a really wacky idea, but wouldn't it be cool if you could get an oven where part of the door is a window so you can look inside at the food as it cooks? it would be even cooler if you could rig up a light bulb in there somehow

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i get summaries of this awful nvidia blog in my email frequently for some reason i don't remember, and i haven't unsubscribed because more often than not it's got some article like this that's fun to laugh at

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this might sound like a really wacky idea, but wouldn't it be cool if you could get an oven where part of the door is a window so you can look inside at the food as it cooks? it would be even cooler if you could rig up a light bulb in there somehow

what are you talking about, LED's would melt in an oven :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Xarn posted:

tbf the kind of people who are real into and real good at bbq are not the kinds of people who work at tech startups making idiotic garbage

if they wanted to make a good bbq product they'd probably have to, like, talk to a black person at least once, and where would they even find one of those??