Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

I'm so sad that there isn't a cars and coffee in Buffalo any more.

Start one!

So the RS was beyond what I expected, featherlight clutch, smoothest shifter I've encountered in ages (i own lovely cars). And the power, good grief, so much power. HM showed off a bit and I was just floored by what the car can do. I was pretty careful since you know, not my car, but even my short seat time was some of the best driving I've experienced in years.

Definitely puts my thoughts on a new car in a different direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

Start one!

So the RS was beyond what I expected, featherlight clutch, smoothest shifter I've encountered in ages (i own lovely cars). And the power, good grief, so much power. HM showed off a bit and I was just floored by what the car can do. I was pretty careful since you know, not my car, but even my short seat time was some of the best driving I've experienced in years.

We’ll get you out on some of the twisty roads out in southwest Allen county and it will make you believe in God.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like youre a RallySexual

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

2003 Pontiac vibe gt hot hatch or hottest hatch?

I have a matrix XRS, AMA. In this age of turbos and intercoolers, it's a warm hatch at best. Makes good noises for a 4-cyl and is pretty reliable with normal maintenance. Parts are cheap.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

angryrobots posted:

I have a matrix XRS, AMA. In this age of turbos and intercoolers, it's a warm hatch at best. Makes good noises for a 4-cyl and is pretty reliable with normal maintenance. Parts are cheap.

also they are cheap really cheap and invisible to cops

I call her vibey, vibed for your pleasure

sorry imgur is not working

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 27, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i saw a 2nd gen vibe from when they lost the body cladding in a kind of toothpaste green color the other day

it looked very odd

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Mine is parked as of yesterday while parts and tools come in for a bad front wheel bearing. Had a noticeable squeal after driving on the highway and making left turns. Jacked it up, LF bearing was a bit wobbly.

$50 in parts and $200 in tools. :catstare: At least it won't require an alignment. And I'll be ready for the next one. *Looks at pile of tools that were used exactly once, but still cheaper than paying a mechanic*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

We’ll get you out on some of the twisty roads out in southwest Allen county and it will make you believe in God.

I have a Fiesta ST drive lined up for Friday. Might be more in line with what I should be driving and also less likely to kill myself with.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Went to a new outpatient clinic last week, about halfway through the day one of the docs from another pod came over and asked me if I owned a GTI. He apologized in case he put any handprints on the door handle, as he also had a GTI, same color and year as mine, and mistakenly tried to get in mine at lunch :laffo:

Went from never having met him to being on a first name basis and GTI bros. We hung out in between patients and talked cars. It was cool.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I have a Fiesta ST drive lined up for Friday. Might be more in line with what I should be driving and also less likely to kill myself with.

They are even more of a go kart than the FoRS. Again a simple 93 tune makes them hilarious fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

They are even more of a go kart than the FoRS. Again a simple 93 tune makes them hilarious fun.

The full COBB upgrade appears to push it to 250hp. Like, jesus christ. I mentioned I've driven my local friends but he grenaded it. As much as I loved your car I think I prefer the smaller FiST. Gonna need some more time in each but the RS is way up on my list.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The choice is clear.

https://www.motor1.com/news/366171/ford-focus-rs-mountune-modifications/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I don't know why you want me to die.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I don't know why you want me to die.

You must be witnessed. :black101:

Also, I want to see Tavarish buy it after you wrap it around a tree sideways.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

You must be witnessed. :black101:

Also, I want to see Tavarish buy it after you wrap it around a tree sideways.

It'll end up on B is for Build.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It'll end up on B is for Build.

:negative:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The full COBB upgrade appears to push it to 250hp. Like, jesus christ. I mentioned I've driven my local friends but he grenaded it. As much as I loved your car I think I prefer the smaller FiST. Gonna need some more time in each but the RS is way up on my list.

Buy an FMIC and an e30 tune and skip all the other bolt-ons unless you're turbo swapping. Easy 210/260 at the wheel numbers, which is maxing out the tiny stock turbo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaintVagrant posted:

Buy an FMIC and an e30 tune and skip all the other bolt-ons unless you're turbo swapping. Easy 210/260 at the wheel numbers, which is maxing out the tiny stock turbo.

I haven't even decided on a car yet, I was just marveling at the power packed into those tiny cars.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I have a friend that has. FiST that’s got a Mountune 93 tune with intake, cat back, and intercooler. I helped him tune it, and it’s a lot of fun and very reliable. I’m sure he’d let you take it for a spin if you want sometime.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That would be excellent. I want to make the most informed decision I can here. Trying to track down cars to drive has not been easy this summer.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I haven't even decided on a car yet, I was just marveling at the power packed into those tiny cars.

Yes but when you inevitably buy a FiST keep this advice in mind :clint:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hit a pothole to hard it threw my rear view mirror out of wack and knocked a sun visor out of its bracket. Naturally the rim’s bent. Great.

They’re stock so I’m assuming it’ll be cheaper to just get a new set then try to fix it. I assume I could try and source just one on eBay or something. Thankfully I got a good deal on an alignment package with NTB so that part is taken care of.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

Yes but when you inevitably buy a FiST keep this advice in mind :clint:

:hmmyes:

one of usssss

i havent gotten to play with mine as much due to lack of time and :effort: but even simple (less than 2 hours a go) mods and a custom tune will put you well over 200 which makes it hilarious.

the stock audio system sucks balls though and you should replace that right off

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Went to a new outpatient clinic last week, about halfway through the day one of the docs from another pod came over and asked me if I owned a GTI. He apologized in case he put any handprints on the door handle, as he also had a GTI, same color and year as mine, and mistakenly tried to get in mine at lunch :laffo:

Went from never having met him to being on a first name basis and GTI bros. We hung out in between patients and talked cars. It was cool.

I parked next to a same year/model/color civic at the local Shell station. I went in to get whatever and came out to some girl getting in my car and got to watch the entire: enter, put poo poo down, where's my other poo poo? Oh poo poo this isn't mine, she looks up and I'm there just cry-laughing. She was a good sport about it though lol.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Haha, I bet watching that happen was hysterical.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What, if any, are the major differences between the 2019 Fiesta ST and previous model years?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
a backup camera i think. yeah after looking at the spec sheet thats about it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No silly changes to the sheet metal or bumpers right? I was just browsing listings and 2019s with recaros can be had for 21K.

I really need to log a longer time behind the wheel of one.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

I think the American Fiesta ST is just pumping out the same old model until the thing is dead, EU got a whole new one but I can't think of any significant differences year over year for the US model

MunchE fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 28, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the EU one is a 3 cyl ecoboost engine but US ones are pretty much completely the same from 2016 on except for some differences in infotainment, the interior ambient lighting on the dash strip in the 16 (which can be retrofitted if you really want a light up dash) and the back up cam in the 18 and on i like the recaro seats but im a small dude, lady frog hates them because they are too "huggy"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
In the US they're all basically the same mechanically. Sync 3 in 2016 is really the most meaningful change in the entire US run, then the backup cam a few years later. I think at some point the factory RMM changed but they're still on the short list of things most people who modify their cars will replace. All later parts are trivial bolt-ins on older models too, even the backup cam can be enabled with free software and a cheap cable.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I love how many manufacturers avoided putting in backup cams until they were legally mandated even though most cars had some sort of screen capable of showing the picture from a backup camera in them. It was part of a $3500 option package on my M3 until they were legally mandated to have it as standard :allears:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fknlo posted:

I love how many manufacturers avoided putting in backup cams until they were legally mandated even though most cars had some sort of screen capable of showing the picture from a backup camera in them. It was part of a $3500 option package on my M3 until they were legally mandated to have it as standard :allears:

For some stupid reason Ford previously offered it on the Fiesta Platinum but not on any other models. It's literally plug-and-play, you flip one bit in the car's settings with ForScan and either plug in the OEM unit or hook a standard composite video signal in to two pins on a harness easily accessed behind the screen.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i still have avoided doing it so far because dammit fishing cable through the rear hatch, the hatch gasket and the headliner is a pita. ive had the parts for like a year.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

fknlo posted:

Look that is nearly 35 bucks in parts you trying to bankrupt them!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

What, if any, are the major differences between the 2019 Fiesta ST and previous model years?

No changes in the sheet metal at all. Definitely make sure that whatever year you are looking at has Sync 3. Sync 2 was hot garbage but 3 is quite serviceable.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Huge_Midget posted:

No changes in the sheet metal at all. Definitely make sure that whatever year you are looking at has Sync 3. Sync 2 was hot garbage but 3 is quite serviceable.

You should see Sync 1!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Just exploring potential options but 2019s seem to be on major discount nationwide.

We'll see.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Some wrong poo poo I later edited

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Rhyno posted:

Just exploring potential options but 2019s seem to be on major discount nationwide.

We'll see.

Yeah, the entire (good) st line is EoL in the US, so there are firesales happening all over.

One of us one of us boostle cobble one of us