Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Reality Sinner posted:

Bsj is real bad at dota but good at streaming. He speaks with confidence but I never hear anyone saying the same poo poo he says, so i assume it's all bs.

Bsj is 7.5k lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Reality Sinner posted:

Synderen talks about dotaplus win percentage too much

It's a good meme

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I dunno whenever I watch bsj stream, he dies once, go back to lane stupidly, dies again, yells at his supports then afks in jungle. 7.5k sure but he'll never make it as a pro.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Man rewatching the NiP vs OG game 1, the first game they did the wisp carry strat, it's SO obvious they weren't practiced with the strat and they were really struggling to find the rhythm early on in the match. You'd never know it from the later matches tho, it's impressive how fast they were to take it from janky test attempt to dominant strat DURING A TOURNAMENT

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reality Sinner posted:

I dunno whenever I watch bsj stream, he dies once, go back to lane stupidly, dies again, yells at his supports then afks in jungle. 7.5k sure but he'll never make it as a pro.

half of the NA 7k mmr mid/safelane spammers do this

e: I agree, they don't know how to make the best of a bad situation and it'll always keep them back

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

just finished the vods and we got flopson^2 which is a far bigger far more powerful topson than anyone could have ever imagined holy moly

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I don't ever feel like any of the caster analysis is good but then that's true of any sports coverage so I def value good hype casting over supposed 'knowledge' unless they get the dota equivalent of Tony Romo in there at some point

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The casters put in a ton of work. It’s not easy at all. And they’re working a ton of hours as well

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The casters put in a ton of work. It’s not easy at all. And they’re working a ton of hours as well

Never said it was easy, just that the analysis is bad (and no wonder, really: the strategies you see, especially in TI, are barely understood by the highest level of fulltime pros). Doesn't matter how much work you put in if the task is basically impossible.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm completely aware of that, just noting that despite that work, their commentary is significantly less useful to me, a person who only has limited understanding of why anyone does anything in DotA, than this here thread.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

are we just forgetting that synderen is 8k

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Please do not defend JPJ

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

sugar free jazz posted:

at being a mush mouthed dumbass

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vando posted:

Never said it was easy, just that the analysis is bad (and no wonder, really: the strategies you see, especially in TI, are barely understood by the highest level of fulltime pros). Doesn't matter how much work you put in if the task is basically impossible.

That is a good point, I guess. Pretty much no one is qualified to commentate from both a vocal and knowledge standpoint.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

sugar free jazz posted:

Even this doesn't really matter because what it demonstrates above all is mechanical skill, game awareness, resource management type attributes. The actual tactical metagame is entirely separate to that. It works in the same way that top sports players don't necessarily make great coaches: they may be good at playing their own role, but understanding what that role is for and how to decide what that role actually is? It's an entirely different skill.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
This thread is absolutely not better than the casters at understanding drafts and so on we're all just spewing random poo poo and hoping we're close to right lmao

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

at being a mush mouthed dumbass

"synderen" is NOT how you spell "tobi"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

This thread is absolutely not better than the casters at understanding drafts and so on we're all just spewing random poo poo and hoping we're close to right lmao

Note that I didn't say better at actually understanding high level anything, just better at explaining medium level poo poo to beginners.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Still disappointed early fighting hero URSA was never picked in this meta

You blink on the alchemist, you give him the slap slap, ,Gg

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

JollyPubJerk posted:

what? Blitz is a notorious storm spammer who only ever learned the game in that impression. Purge is just an encyclopedia, not someone who ever understood top tier dota. Tobi+Synderen was easily the best duo this year, if not every year.

Blitz has more insight into the Eastern scenes due to playing over there than almost anyone else that's fluent enough in English to be on a panel. I think people like him are also pretty important because he frequently admits when he's unsure about something.

An encyclopedia is a good rear end source of knowledge, so thanks for agreeing???

Tobi sucks rear end and constantly interrupts Syn to hype up a player walking towards a rune.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

silvergoose posted:

Note that I didn't say better at actually understanding high level anything, just better at explaining medium level poo poo to beginners.

Yeah and it was also recognised why that is right away, so it's not like we're even slamming the casters here:

violent sex idiot posted:

its a lot easier to sound smart when you are typing minutes or hours or days after the fact than when you are live on camera

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Having to cast stuff you’ve never seen before is really hard while also trying to be entertaining and excited. I used to hate on analysts or casters but I’ve never thought about it from their perspective. Everyone that wants to claim they would be a better a better caster or analyst I would just say: then prove it! Go for it! It’s really loving hard. I know some up and coming casting talent personally and they’re trying really hard and it’s still tough for them and they get some brutal criticism online.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
ursa could've used the ti winnings for the cubs :smith:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Most of the casters/commentators are so entrenched in DotA that they don't understand anything if it's not currently meta, which is when I'd say this thread throwing poo poo at the wall is definitely more informative. Just look at the first IO carry game. Everyone on the panel was just going "uhhhhhhh, uhhhhhhh" and even in the later Io games couldn't remark on anything except it being strong and the time honored bad advice "they need to kill wisp first".

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Vando posted:

Even this doesn't really matter because what it demonstrates above all is mechanical skill, game awareness, resource management type attributes. The actual tactical metagame is entirely separate to that. It works in the same way that top sports players don't necessarily make great coaches: they may be good at playing their own role, but understanding what that role is for and how to decide what that role actually is? It's an entirely different skill.

i mean hes immortal 100ish hes pubbing with pros all day and was in the ti9 closed qualifier for europe so i mean................

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Most of the casters/commentators are so entrenched in DotA that they don't understand anything if it's not currently meta, which is when I'd say this thread throwing poo poo at the wall is definitely more informative. Just look at the first IO carry game. Everyone on the panel was just going "uhhhhhhh, uhhhhhhh" and even in the later Io games couldn't remark on anything except it being strong and the time honored bad advice "they need to kill wisp first".

I mean, if you put Kuroky on the panel do you think he'd speak more intelligently about carry wisp the first time it saw play at TI?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

sugar free jazz posted:

i mean hes immortal 100ish hes pubbing with pros all day and was in the ti9 closed qualifier for europe so i mean................

And Rob Gronkowski won 3 super bowls, it doesn't mean he's able to identify and summarise every tactical approach at the drop of a hat, does it?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Sampatrick posted:

I mean, if you put Kuroky on the panel do you think he'd speak more intelligently about carry wisp the first time it saw play at TI?

He let OG pick it so not necessarily even the last time imo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Something called Destiny Cup 2 starts tomorrow. Get hype for this huge 14,000$ sea tournament.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vando posted:

lol, synderen has sub-pro mechanical skill and makes up for it with the rest like you describe. This is just some blind hate.

To be a good caster you need to talk with confidence. You can admit you aren't sure of something, but you at least need to guess to keep viewers engaged. It's a skill, I've done it before and it is exhausting on the throat for the hours these guys do it, and Synderen is one of the better color guys out there. These guys are quoting dotaplus because there's no way they can do research on 20 games that happened while they were simultaneously casting on the same day, day after day. There isn't a secondary color guy whispering in their ears even more stats to display.

Guys like swindlemelonzz can barely get a sentence out. Half of the players know the motions, but struggle putting them into words. Not really surprising when they sit in front of computers all day every day of their life. Best insight you can get is what you hear about from scrims. Teams try to keep that info really tight, and if you aren't seeing them, you have no idea what the meta is. Otherwise, yes, they are guessing. Or they're playing ranked pubs at a level where they've seen some poo poo and it starts leaking into pro games.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

A big problem with analyzing dota is that the people who are good at it are either:

a) playing
b) coaching

Add in the fact that you can win millions of dollars for 'figuring out' the current/tournament/ti meta, and that thousands of others are analyzing it, there's a vacuum of analysis available to the public.

This means that you either listen to paid commentators (who themselves are't good enough to play or coach), or you listen to randoms on the internet. This also helps explain why so many panelists are ex-pros as the prestige rather than knowledge is what makes them 'right'..

Like at the moment, OG's game style seems completely opaque. They just seem straight up better than everyone else. You can point to the carry Io or the diffusal Gyrocopter, or the way they prioritize farming up Ana or how Jerax and Topson rotate, or the wide hero picks but these don't reveal BIG DADDY's overarching philosophy on the game. I'm almost certain that others from pro teams have an idea of whats going on, but they sure as gently caress aren't going to talk publically about it.

Also does anyone knows where i can get detailed statistics from old TIs? Particularly hero pick, ban and win rates. I want to see if how a hero is designed makes them inherently stronger than others. Like surely there's a reason why enchantress is always op, or why tiny, gyro, IO, chen, alch etc are so predominant at TI despite constant reworks and nerfs.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hairypanis posted:

A big problem with analyzing dota is that the people who are good at it are either:

a) playing
b) coaching

Add in the fact that you can win millions of dollars for 'figuring out' the current/tournament/ti meta, and that thousands of others are analyzing it, there's a vacuum of analysis available to the public.

This means that you either listen to paid commentators (who themselves are't good enough to play or coach), or you listen to randoms on the internet. This also helps explain why so many panelists are ex-pros as the prestige rather than knowledge is what makes them 'right'..

Like at the moment, OG's game style seems completely opaque. They just seem straight up better than everyone else. You can point to the carry Io or the diffusal Gyrocopter, or the way they prioritize farming up Ana or how Jerax and Topson rotate, or the wide hero picks but these don't reveal BIG DADDY's overarching philosophy on the game. I'm almost certain that others from pro teams have an idea of whats going on, but they sure as gently caress aren't going to talk publically about it.

Also does anyone knows where i can get detailed statistics from old TIs? Particularly hero pick, ban and win rates. I want to see if how a hero is designed makes them inherently stronger than others. Like surely there's a reason why enchantress is always op, or why tiny, gyro, IO, chen, alch etc are so predominant at TI despite constant reworks and nerfs.

I dunno. There's a class of players who just spam poo poo and copy. And there's a class of players who innovate. You just needs guys who do the latter, and too many of them have normal lives because their brains are big enough to do something other than DotA sperging.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
DotA is a complex game and it's completely insane to expect analysts to actually understand everything about every draft

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

I meant it less as a diss and more that the thread is 100 monkeys on typewriters.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Nasgate posted:

I meant it less as a diss and more that the thread is 100 monkeys on typewriters.

Everyone in DotA is a monkey on a typewriter. Game is hard.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Reality Sinner posted:

Still disappointed early fighting hero URSA was never picked in this meta

You blink on the alchemist, you give him the slap slap, ,Gg

Or blink on 10 minute Io...it's almost as if teams didn't even try since the figured carry Io was a joke?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I liked all the commentators this TI, it was a very well made show :D

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If OG's carry wisp strat lost them the first game of OG vs NIP, would they have still pursued the idea further? Like "lol that sucked, let's go with a more uniform and practiced plan next time." instead of "Hey we lost, but I think there's something very big here still..." and continued to draft it?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Or blink on 10 minute Io...it's almost as if teams didn't even try since the figured carry Io was a joke?

Blink in and watch Io tether away is not a great plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Everyone in DotA is a monkey on a typewriter. Game is hard.

except OG