Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

teagone posted:

I will see this movie opening day.

Because of this specifc trailer or because it's a Star Wars movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They've constantly been making attempts to re-monetize their back catalogue of beloved animated films and they've been trying to perfect their formula of creating live action remakes since at least the mid 90s, it's bizarre that they're still so bad at promoting them.

The Disney corporate structure seems allergic to making something even the slightest bit off-beat; how many companies would literally off-load a movie catalog filled with Oscar winners and literal classics a decade before one of the founders’ sexual assault reign of terror was uncovered by the press, just because they didn’t want to bother being the curator of things like Pulp Fiction or The Piano or In The Bedroom or The Crying Game or Trainspotting? These people are afraid of their (Jewish!) Thor director making fun of Hitler in an indie. The same company that bought a company whose other pillar is a heroic archaeologist best known for punching Nazis. It’s bugfuck nuts.

This is a company who, once their namesake died, instantly started trying to kill the animation unit so they could make the cornucopia of lovely live action kid films that only the precise Boomers that went and saw them remember. Because the animation unit never made money between Snow White and The Little Mermaid (suddenly, them having and letting go of Brad Bird, Tim Burton, and Don Bluth in a real short period makes a lot more sense).

Actually, now that I think about it, between them not doing cel-inspired animation in theaters anymore and the swath of live-action remakes of their animated canon, I guess they finally did succeed in killing the animation unit. gently caress.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
All hail The King.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMJnsTx-TBg

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They've constantly been making attempts to re-monetize their back catalogue of beloved animated films and they've been trying to perfect their formula of creating live action remakes since at least the mid 90s, it's bizarre that they're still so bad at promoting them.
It's worth remembering--because it's been a bit forgotten--how much Disney used to rely on re-releases of their film. Like I think that Song of the South has been retroactively mythologized as a movie that was basically locked up for the last seventy years, but they were still showing that poo poo in theaters in 1986.

When home video became a thing, that's when the concept of the Disney Vault came around and they began relying on making their video releases into a big deal.

Now they're dealing with the over-abundance of media and the reaction is to basically just remake the movies because if it's new then it can stand out. The weird thing is that when you look at the big-deal-video release era of capitalizing on past properties, they showed so much more patience. Snow White wasn't released until 1994, and they had pretty good marketing around it, that made it feel like something special..

Like I don't necessarily mind The Beauty and the Beast remake... but the first film was an Oscar Nominated movie. A remake should be a big loving deal. When you're doing a remake like Aladdin that has some of the best songs in any original film musical, those musical numbers can't be boring. They really just ran through these films at an insane pace when they probably could have taken their time and made some movies that feel worthy of their predecessors.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

So this dropped: Bombshell is based on the Roger Ailes scandal and stars Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, and Margot Robbie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXL33tEUA3g
Seems like nobody commented on this (admittedly the Greener Grass trailer is way more interesting), but I like how this trailer was cut. Can't say I'd pay a dime to see a story about these humans, though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I thought the reason why nobody commented is that it's a really bad trailer, even if it's just a teaser.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's worth remembering--because it's been a bit forgotten--how much Disney used to rely on re-releases of their film. Like I think that Song of the South has been retroactively mythologized as a movie that was basically locked up for the last seventy years, but they were still showing that poo poo in theaters in 1986.

When home video became a thing, that's when the concept of the Disney Vault came around and they began relying on making their video releases into a big deal.

Now they're dealing with the over-abundance of media and the reaction is to basically just remake the movies because if it's new then it can stand out. The weird thing is that when you look at the big-deal-video release era of capitalizing on past properties, they showed so much more patience. Snow White wasn't released until 1994, and they had pretty good marketing around it, that made it feel like something special..

Like I don't necessarily mind The Beauty and the Beast remake... but the first film was an Oscar Nominated movie. A remake should be a big loving deal. When you're doing a remake like Aladdin that has some of the best songs in any original film musical, those musical numbers can't be boring. They really just ran through these films at an insane pace when they probably could have taken their time and made some movies that feel worthy of their predecessors.

They know that the 10 years of MCU boom is coming to an end so they're striking while the iron is hot throwing any poo poo at the wall. It's actually kind of pathetic.

Has anyone watched Treasure Planet recently. That movie is held up as the one that tanked their cel animation division but, apart from a few instances of 90s cringe, it's really loving good and fun to watch. The amount of cel to CGI intermediaries they had to do just looks incredible compared to poo poo that's tossed off today.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I thought the reason why nobody commented is that it's a really bad trailer, even if it's just a teaser.
I like it. It's a good evocative little short film of a trailer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lobok posted:

Because of this specifc trailer or because it's a Star Wars movie?

The latter, since the trailer really didn't do much for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A drama about the inner workings of Fox News seems like a big ol' self suck to me. Couldn't care less about Megyn Kelly's story, especially considering the way she failed upward.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A drama about the inner workings of Fox News seems like a big ol' self suck to me. Couldn't care less about Megyn Kelly's story, especially considering the way she failed upward.

Theron gets to channel her upbringing in pre-liberation South Africa to really make Kelly authentic.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMJnsTx-TBg
I'm in.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Chalamet getting in mental shape for Dune

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Isn't the movie about the Roger Ailes scandal?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Vegetable posted:

Seems like nobody commented on this (admittedly the Greener Grass trailer is way more interesting), but I like how this trailer was cut. Can't say I'd pay a dime to see a story about these humans, though.

:same:, but I'm always impressed by how versatile Charlize Theron is. She looks like she really is Megyn Kelly.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

Theron gets to channel her upbringing in pre-liberation South Africa to really make Kelly authentic.

I don't think Megyn Kelly had to watch her mother kill her father because her father was going to kill them.

I'm entirely loving serious, that happened to Charlize Theron when she was like sixteen. Her alcoholic dad got drunk, beat her mom up, pulled a gun and shot at the both of them, her mom managed to wrangle the gun from him and took him out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Cameo posted:

I don't think Megyn Kelly had to watch her mother kill her father because her father was going to kill them.

I'm entirely loving serious, that happened to Charlize Theron when she was like sixteen. Her alcoholic dad got drunk, beat her mom up, pulled a gun and shot at the both of them, her mom managed to wrangle the gun from him and took him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39y2oTt7os

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The Cameo posted:

Well then.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Cameo posted:

If they depicted this in a biopic nobody would believe it

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGVQLHvwOY

We live in a society etc

cappaj
Jul 29, 2019

I wasn't paying a lot of attention, is this a soft reboot of King of Comedy?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looks amazing to me so... whatevs

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

cappaj posted:

They originally had Scorsese on-board as a producer but he dropped out at some point

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

cappaj posted:

Yes and it looks v bad hth

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

feedmyleg posted:

Yes and it looks v bad hth

Nah.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I liked the first trailer better but still interested, I want to see what Phoenix brings. I hope Scorsese dropped out because of time constraints or something and not because the production wasn't going his way.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The script is out there on the internet for anyone who wants to read, and it is indeed Crayon Scorsese. Also you just won't believe who the bad guy is!!!!! it's women.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
The modern parable is look what is happening/going to happen to our most vulnerable citizens in the era of Trump. Social services and safety nets being cut/eliminated - what type of society are we going to become?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Joaquin looks amazing and the whole thing seems competently shot but every line of the script in that trailer is just wayyyy too on the nose

cappaj
Jul 29, 2019

Vegetable posted:

Joaquin looks amazing and the whole thing seems competently shot but every line of the script in that trailer is just wayyyy too on the nose

Yeah that's the impression I got too - nice movie to look at and really interesting performances but the story feels pretty meh.

Also I thought failed comedians just join the alt right?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Joker looks neat. Oscar worth high art? no of course not, but I'll take it over Star Wars 12

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

The script is out there on the internet for anyone who wants to read, and it is indeed Crayon Scorsese. Also you just won't believe who the bad guy is!!!!! it's women.
Can you elaborate on this? I've seen leaked summaries that didn't really allude to this, but I did raise an eyebrow to how the film (I'm only spoiling this because of the spoiler in the quoted block)shows two black ladies as the stand-ins for the people putting the Joker down.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I've seen leaked summaries that didn't really allude to this, but I did raise an eyebrow to how the film (I'm only spoiling this because of the spoiler in the quoted block)shows two black ladies as the stand-ins for the people putting the Joker down.

The Joker has troubles with his mom, his lady therapist just doesn't get him, in the end he gets rejected by his lady crush(Zazie Beetz), and it's the like final nail. After that he goes super villain by joining the OWS Clown resistance movement, and tries to kill Thomas Wayne and Jay Leno(played by De Niro).

The script is not a very coherent incel manifesto, but it is 10 years of dumb politics written by the Hangover guy, so the discourse is going to be wild.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 28, 2019

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuBRcfe4bSo

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
edit: double post, whoops.

here's another trailer so this isn't a totally wasted post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UijUOy0MmE

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Also, his mom basically allowed him to experience serious sexual mental and physical abuse as a child and later convinced him he was the bastard of Thomas Wayne since she worked in his household. That Bruce Wayne run-in doesn't happen in the movie when you think.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yikes!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I'm already tired of Gary Oldman's performance after a two-minute trailer but I'll show up for a Soderbergh/Burns thing

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Wow with those Joker spoilers.

morestuff posted:

I'm already tired of Gary Oldman's performance after a two-minute trailer but I'll show up for a Soderbergh/Burns thing
Yeah I'm down for a spiritual sequel to The Informant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

rawillkill posted:

edit: double post, whoops.

here's another trailer so this isn't a totally wasted post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UijUOy0MmE

I'm surprisingly super into SBC as a dramatic actor