Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I love my TCL in large part because of the built in Roku. No lovely manufacturer developed software makes life so much easier. The displays are pretty good too for the lower-end non-OLED market, although there is better out there in terms of picture quality if you're willing to pay a bit more/hunt around. But if you're not looking for the absolute maximum picture quality for your buck, a TCL that fits your price point is a fine choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Original_Z posted:

Costco has finally opened in China! How did the locals take to it?

https://qz.com/1695894/here-are-the-crazy-scenes-from-costcos-opening-day-in-china/

More converts to the church of Costco!

I'm surprised Costco is going in, when other large companies like Starbucks pulled out because of the cost of doing business there.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Costco by me just opened Friday. I went on opening day with my wife and then back yesterday by myself so I could walk around and check things out when it wasn't nearly as busy. Very impressed so far with the prices and quality of the merch. $20 for a 1.75 liter jug of 100% blue agave tequila? Hell yeah!

So glad Sam's isn't the only game in town anymore. I can finally cut ties with the Waltons for good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Trastion posted:

Thanks. I currently have a 1080p projector that is dying. I am used to a 106" screen with that. I have been playing a lot more PS4 games though and the projector adds a little lag time so that is not good on FPS games.

I have an old school PS4 so it can't do 4k but I plan on getting a PS5 when they are released. I also watch more movies and stuff in 720p currently anyways so I don't need the best tv out there. I just didn't know if TCL is good or not. Sounds like they are decent so I will probably go with that.

The other tvs of the same size next to it (Sony & Samsung) are both $1000 more and I can't see spending the extra $1000.

Yeah I wouldn’t spend the extra $1000.

Does the TCL do HDR? That would be the only thing that I’d look for at this point. 4K is great but I like me some HDR.

Honestly even if it doesn’t a 75 for under 1k is pretty nice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I wouldn’t spend the extra $1000.

Does the TCL do HDR? That would be the only thing that I’d look for at this point. 4K is great but I like me some HDR.

Honestly even if it doesn’t a 75 for under 1k is pretty nice.

It does HDR10 but not Dolby Vision. Panel isn't bright enough.
https://www.tclusa.com/products/home-theater/4-series/tcl-75-class-4-series-4k-uhd-led-roku-smart-tv-75s423

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 27, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d get it then :shrug:

The HDR wars are dumb and I don’t know who even came out on top.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I’d get it then :shrug:

The HDR wars are dumb and I don’t know who even came out on top.

Dolby Vision requires a brighter panel basically. The one at Costco is TCL's S series which is their entry level series. 60hz panel, only HDR10 and low brightness. Their higher series have brighter displays and therefore can support higher HDR requirements.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

WescottF1 posted:

Costco by me just opened Friday. I went on opening day with my wife and then back yesterday by myself so I could walk around and check things out when it wasn't nearly as busy. Very impressed so far with the prices and quality of the merch. $20 for a 1.75 liter jug of 100% blue agave tequila? Hell yeah!

So glad Sam's isn't the only game in town anymore. I can finally cut ties with the Waltons for good.

Welcome to Costco, I love you

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Trastion posted:

Anyone know anything about the TCL 75" that Coscto has (cant find on website) in store for $799?

Trastion posted:

Thanks. I currently have a 1080p projector that is dying. I am used to a 106" screen with that. I have been playing a lot more PS4 games though and the projector adds a little lag time so that is not good on FPS games.

I have an old school PS4 so it can't do 4k but I plan on getting a PS5 when they are released. I also watch more movies and stuff in 720p currently anyways so I don't need the best tv out there. I just didn't know if TCL is good or not. Sounds like they are decent so I will probably go with that.

The other tvs of the same size next to it (Sony & Samsung) are both $1000 more and I can't see spending the extra $1000.

I believe the $799 TCL you're talking about is the 4-series. The 4 series is considered the best budget TV at the given size, generally. The consensus is that the extra money is worth it to jump to the 6 series (or slightly more expensive models from other brands like Vizio) for the local dimming and much brighter HDR highlights, but for the 75" that's a $500 jump.

If it were me I'd drop down to the 65" and get the TCL 6 series for the better image quality, but it sounds like size might be king for you. I think essentially anything will blow a consumer projector out of the water so you should see an improvement either way.

Perhaps worth keeping in mind that the PS5/Xbox Scarlett will both almost certainly feature HDMI 2.1 and variable refresh rate. It remains to be seen how significantly their effects will be on the consoles, but this would be one of my top features to look for if I were a gamer who was going to purchase a next gen console. Unfortunately, very few 2019 TV's have this and the ones that do are pretty high end. It should be fairly common in 12 months though, so if you want to try to hold out..

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

canyoneer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/askcarsales/comments/b2cpc7/costco_auto_program/

My parents used it years ago. They had a good experience.
The gist is that you'll always get a decent to good price, but if you're Mr Deals you can probably do better dealing directly with the dealership.

As someone working at a dealership that's part of the Costco program and the administrator of it, you're 100% right.

Though anymore, you don't have to be Mr Deals. Just loving email multiple dealerships and get them to compete on price then go in with minimal hassle.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Welcome to Costco, I love you

I love you too

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

There's a screaming deal on costco.com for an Xbox One S, two controllers, and three months of Game Pass for only $200. Free shipping, too.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

pnumoman posted:

I love my TCL in large part because of the built in Roku. No lovely manufacturer developed software makes life so much easier. The displays are pretty good too for the lower-end non-OLED market, although there is better out there in terms of picture quality if you're willing to pay a bit more/hunt around. But if you're not looking for the absolute maximum picture quality for your buck, a TCL that fits your price point is a fine choice.

I rented a vacation house this summer which had a TCL with Roku built in and I was completely soured on the experience. Regularly experienced several seconds of lag between when I pushed a button on the remote and the cursor actually responded on the screen.

I did find the picture quality to be great though (I don't have a 4K TV at home). I would still continue to use my 4th gen Apple TV as my primary box, even if I got a TCL.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Sock The Great posted:

I rented a vacation house this summer which had a TCL with Roku built in and I was completely soured on the experience. Regularly experienced several seconds of lag between when I pushed a button on the remote and the cursor actually responded on the screen.

I did find the picture quality to be great though (I don't have a 4K TV at home). I would still continue to use my 4th gen Apple TV as my primary box, even if I got a TCL.

I have a Roku TCL and haven’t experienced lag in the menus at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheManWithNoName posted:

I have a Roku TCL and haven’t experienced lag in the menus at all.

I get a lag occasionally, mostly from Netflix, restarting seems to work, and it's Netflix, so I was probably going to spend 20 minutes trying to find something anyway

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Is the less powerful Vitamix e320 really worth the cost? Can it still make soups from raw vegetables and the other stuff like the higher end model can?

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 28, 2019

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Washout posted:

Is the less powerful e320 really worth the cost? Can it still make soups from raw vegetables and the other stuff like the higher end model can?

Decide quick on the e320 because the sale ends soon and they are replacing it with an e320.bundled with some attachment and increasing the base cost to 400

I ordered one b cause my local store was.sold out and it's going to be a fucjload better than my 5 year old Cuisinart that's dying

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
they just opened a costco in china, and if you've ever been around mainland bargain shoppers it went about how you'd expect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UfO4gpML4g

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Stink Billyums posted:

they just opened a costco in china, and if you've ever been around mainland bargain shoppers it went about how you'd expect

Getting serious Black Friday energy from that video.

I don't even like going to Costco on Saturdays when it's busy

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Stink Billyums posted:

I talked to the person in International support who handles China, it was just as much of a shitshow as the videos show.
Costco stock went up $14 though so yay go my 401k!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

canyoneer posted:

Getting serious Black Friday energy from that video.

I don't even like going to Costco on Saturdays when it's busy
looks like just a normal sat/sunday trip to a california bay area costco to me :smug:

ok not quite but lol

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Stink Billyums posted:

That video brought up the return policy a few times. I am guessing that returns are generally not allowed, but why would people be so excited about that? Does it imply a level of quality that isn’t usually available in China? Or is it that the customers figure they can somehow use it to scam Costco out of free usage of products?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Orvin posted:

That video brought up the return policy a few times. I am guessing that returns are generally not allowed, but why would people be so excited about that? Does it imply a level of quality that isn’t usually available in China? Or is it that the customers figure they can somehow use it to scam Costco out of free usage of products?

If you've ever been to the mainland you know the answer

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

binge crotching posted:

If you've ever been to the mainland you know the answer

So what you are saying is that 89 days from that video, there will be the same horde of people fighting to get to the customer service desk?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It's very frowned upon and a fire-able offense for employees to look up membership information just to snoop around.
I know an employee who looked up Britney Spears' ex husband's membership and saw that he scammed a return for a Roomba. He bought a new one, and then came back 20 minutes later and returned it. The return box had a dusty old used (and broken) Roomba in it.

Same employee told me that she saw people return weird stuff, like half a bag of rotten onions because they didn't use them up fast enough.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I can 100% confirm that nobody on the internal Service desk night shift EVER looked up any member info...ever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Don’t doxx my chocolate macadamia cluster habit plz

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Update:. A couple months ago I asked if Costco was no longer selling Whole Prime Strip Loins (New York). Well, I talked a butcher, and he went in the back and got me one. They stopped putting them out because they're expensive, and customers would just finger them up without purchasing, and break the plastic seal.

So tap on the glass and axe a butcher. They'll hook you up.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

GORDON posted:

Update:. A couple months ago I asked if Costco was no longer selling Whole Prime Strip Loins (New York). Well, I talked a butcher, and he went in the back and got me one. They stopped putting them out because they're expensive, and customers would just finger them up without purchasing, and break the plastic seal.

So tap on the glass and axe a butcher. They'll hook you up.

lmao wtf who loving fingers raw meat in a grocery store

how much are they a lb anyways?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Xaris posted:

Have you seen the average american?

*punchline about the below average half*

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

The 3 packs of cut, Prime NY strip steaks were $17/pound that day, and the 14 lb whole prime loin I purchased was $11/pound. I cut it up myself and vacuum sealed 15 steaks.

By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I drat near did the same thing this weekend but was too much of a cheapskate to buy that much meat.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

I drat near did the same thing this weekend but was too much of a cheapskate to buy that much meat.

It's a lot of meat to take, if you aren't prepared.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

GORDON posted:

It's a lot of meat to take, if you aren't prepared.
New Thread Title:

Costco: It's a lot of meat to take, if you aren't prepared

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

GORDON posted:

The 3 packs of cut, Prime NY strip steaks were $17/pound that day, and the 14 lb whole prime loin I purchased was $11/pound. I cut it up myself and vacuum sealed 15 steaks.

By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.

I should do that and sous vide all those bad boys.

By the way, the corned beef brisket in a bag is really great. Boil that and add some cabbage, red potatoes, and carrots in the last half hour :yum:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anyone know where in the process they mechanically tenderize their steaks? I've never been interested in purchasing Costco beef because of that, but have also never bothered to ask if they're doing it before or after butchering the individual portions.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Anyone know where in the process they mechanically tenderize their steaks? I've never been interested in purchasing Costco beef because of that, but have also never bothered to ask if they're doing it before or after butchering the individual portions.

It’s typically done after they break it down to the individual portions.*

*My dad owns a meat processing facility and that’s how they do it.

Edit: He only does it when the customer asks for it because it’s really not that great. The main issue with it is that when you do it the Bactria that’s on the surface of the meat which normally gets cooked off can get pushed down into the center so you’d really never want to have it rare or even really medium rare.

It’s fine for steaks you plan on cooking all the way through but not so much for others.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 28, 2019

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yeah anything I don't sous vide is pretty regularly cooked rare, guess I could specially order some steaks and request they don't stab it with a million metal fingers but :effort: . Their meat prices are one of the few things I find to be not very competitive.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
I read that Costco is getting the 6-series of TCL's, i.e. model # 65R613. They've always just carried the 5's. PBUC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Sirotan posted:

Yeah anything I don't sous vide is pretty regularly cooked rare, guess I could specially order some steaks and request they don't stab it with a million metal fingers but :effort: . Their meat prices are one of the few things I find to be not very competitive.

My Costcos both said they can't skip the tenderize step but I can always buy the vacpak myself and butcher it.