Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
you sound trite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

is it food for thought?

it sounds trite
there’s at least two ways to take it, so it’s not a truism like “it is what it is”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I have always understood it to mean that it was this guys experience - and he had a lot more of it than most people do - that human suffering is a constant value regardless of class or circumstance

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

I have always understood it to mean that it was this guys experience - and he had a lot more of it than most people do - that human suffering is a constant value regardless of class or circumstance

i had someone say they thought life was pain. i don't agree with that, but pain is an inherent part of life and it would be difficult / impossible to have pleasure without it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that occurred to me last night when I was talking to a person going thru first big breakup, after 2 years. but they didn’t have mixed finances or kids or assets and it was tempting to be like “at least this and that”, but that doesn’t matter to her, as far as she’s concerned her heartbreak is as bad as anyone’s etc etc, so I decided against saying that and just went “there there”

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Broken Machine posted:

i had someone say they thought life was pain. i don't agree with that, but pain is an inherent part of life and it would be difficult / impossible to have pleasure without it

people that experience no physical pain don't exactly live long and happy lives

but i think some people have lives that are just wall to wall pain and that sucks too

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

that’s the first angle. people’s challenges have meaning regardless of scope because of the essential universality of the suffering the challenges cause

then I thought about your story for context

a second angle, he can also seem to be suggesting that a person’s hardest experience is only as difficult as they’ve had opportunity to experience, and that most can push past whatever their boundary of suffering is and finish basic training. the preparation from past suffering seems equal regardless of scope (ie he has not seen a difference in success rate between sheltered and hardened trainees).

otherwise, his job experience wouldn’t have much direct relevance, or why he said it at all in reply to your comment

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

people that experience no physical pain don't exactly live long and happy lives

but i think some people have lives that are just wall to wall pain and that sucks too

i think they meant existential rather than physical pain

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Uptime Sinclair posted:

a second angle, he can also seem to be suggesting that a person’s hardest experience is only as difficult as they’ve had opportunity to experience, and that most can push past whatever their boundary of suffering is and finish basic training. the preparation from past suffering seems equal regardless of scope (ie he has not seen a difference in success rate between sheltered and hardened trainees). otherwise, his job experience wouldn’t have much direct relevance, or why he said it at all

exactly. no one fails out of boot camp because they're weak or privileged or hosed up or whatever, they fail because they refuse to change and get better (for whatever hosed up concept of 'better' the usmc had)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ive experienced major depressive episodes at several points in my life but haven't had any for like 7 years now, and thankfully none since I've had kids. I could feel the black dog sniffing aroudn earlier this year and worked my way out of it with a routine of light nightly exercise (walking) and some CBT techniques I heard on russel brand's podcast (lol)

things that have helped me: a supportive relationship (huge), humility, and having my own little personal ethos. curiosity, empathy, and kindness are the principals to live by, and family and community are what makes you truly happy. I've been lucky to be able to earn good money and have good physical health. my thing this year has been to really focus in on patience and persistence, and being less judgemental

life is a loving bitch but I really do think that a lot of your experience of the world can be chosen. you can decide how to interpret things. even if that interpretation is hogshit, if it gets you through and you're not hurting others, it can be helpful. thats not to say making those choices is easy, or that mindset is dismissive of people's pain or struggle. no way. but framing things in that way makes it easier to feel better

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

a thing that really shits me about myself is that I find it hard to maintain friendships. I just don't really care about them, they seem a lot of effort. I like people and stuff but I guess I'm fundamentally introverted and/or socially anxious. my sense is that this is not uncommon in men particularly. I worry that I am gonna really regret that as I get older tho

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Broken Machine posted:

i think they meant existential rather than physical pain

i took it to mean both, since they're often connected. people that don't feel physical pain also often don't feel fear and a bunch of other emotions. this poo poo's all related i think.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Gentle Autist posted:

a thing that really shits me about myself is that I find it hard to maintain friendships. I just don't really care about them, they seem a lot of effort. I like people and stuff but I guess I'm fundamentally introverted and/or socially anxious. my sense is that this is not uncommon in men particularly. I worry that I am gonna really regret that as I get older tho
big same. i like to think the stuff that makes you a good spouse/parent tends to be mostly separate from (or backburners) what makes a successful “friend guy”.

i wouldn’t regret it just own it. they never made a statue of a group of guys in their 30s/40 who were notable primarily for being hella tite

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Gentle Autist posted:

ive experienced major depressive episodes at several points in my life but haven't had any for like 7 years now, and thankfully none since I've had kids. I could feel the black dog sniffing aroudn earlier this year and worked my way out of it with a routine of light nightly exercise (walking) and some CBT techniques I heard on russel brand's podcast (lol)

things that have helped me: a supportive relationship (huge), humility, and having my own little personal ethos. curiosity, empathy, and kindness are the principals to live by, and family and community are what makes you truly happy. I've been lucky to be able to earn good money and have good physical health. my thing this year has been to really focus in on patience and persistence, and being less judgemental

life is a loving bitch but I really do think that a lot of your experience of the world can be chosen. you can decide how to interpret things. even if that interpretation is hogshit, if it gets you through and you're not hurting others, it can be helpful. thats not to say making those choices is easy, or that mindset is dismissive of people's pain or struggle. no way. but framing things in that way makes it easier to feel better

im glad russel brands cock and ball torture saved your life, op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ahaha hell yes

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

attn: jawnv6

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gentle Autist posted:

it's amazing how much difference getting some exercise and changing your immeadiate surroundings can make.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5_wzFzabiA

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
i remember when sa was down for 9/11

sup old nerds

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

it's amazing how much difference getting some exercise and changing your immeadiate surroundings can make.

except when it doesn't

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

fart simpson posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

candy for breakfast posted:

i remember when sa was down for 9/11

sup old nerds

me too, but that's back when i'd come to the front page every now and then for a chuckle. i didn't bother looking at the forums at all then.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I discovered the utility of heated seats in warming up my coccyx this morning.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

the Seat Fucker strikes again. authorities baffled

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Schadenboner posted:

my buttcheeks were cold after i got out of the car this morning, and i can't figure out why

pram
Jun 10, 2001
youre dying op

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pram posted:

youre dying op
we all are

a little, every day

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
memento mori

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

et in yospos ego

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Schadenboner posted:

heated seats help when i have a small kidney stone bopping through

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i unironically collect these

my wife won't let me display them all over the house

"too goth"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

being old sucks. im glad im still young.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

year ago had to have back surgery and now my back is hurting again. Paranoid of bending over. Yearning for sweet release.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

hidden_msg posted:

year ago had to have back surgery and now my back is hurting again. Paranoid of bending over. Yearning for sweet release.

get one of those shoe horns on a stick at ikea, also a grabber thingy

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

get one of those shoe horns on a stick at ikea, also a grabber thingy

a good long handle shoe horn is worth it yeah

I had some stuff done for my one foot years ago and it helped a ton, i used it for years after because it just made going out the door easier

if you dont have one, a decent bench by where you put shoes on is good, too. less stooping and balancing needed so less risk of tumbling

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hidden_msg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH5a-deHquc

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i went on four roller coasters in 3.5 hours on Saturday, I’m still kinda feeling it

also i almost puked after the fourth one

i used to work at this theme park and would go ride coasters during breaks when it was an after-close employee event and now the idea of like taking a ride on the American Eagle and then trying to work sounds like the worst thing ever

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this thread has taught me that I am very well-preserved for my age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

this thread has taught me that I am very well-preserved for my age.