Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Finger Prince posted:

It's literally a chain wrench, which start at $29.99 at princess auto (Canuck harbor freight), and I saw one selling for $299.99 on Amazon. So it's a pretty good deal if you've got a box wrench and chain just lying around rusting.

um excuse me posted:

That's good and well if the chain doesn't slip through the wrench. You can see the person holding the chain while applying torque which means it's probably not biting into the wrench. If sub Saharan Jiffy Lube changed it last, there's a good chance an elephant put it on and it's stuck.

EDIT: Ah pooped up a new page. Here have this:

It's a Porsche 5.4L flat 12 making up to 1500 hp, in 1973. The very same that steam rolled Can Am. Notice there are 2 plugs per cylinder, making it have 24 spark plugs and associated wires.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

um excuse me posted:

EDIT: Ah pooped up a new page. Here have this:

It's a Porsche 5.4L flat 12 making up to 1500 hp, in 1973. The very same that steam rolled Can Am. Notice there are 2 plugs per cylinder, making it have 24 spark plugs and associated wires.

Thanks, you made my dick hard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Also shout out to Mazda for requiring disassembly of the engine to get to the filter on a first gen Miata.

I think I only changed the oil on my sister-in-law's 95M once but I seem to recall it being reachable from up top same as my NB.

Of course, while I had that car I actually had a bit of a callus, right on my right forearm where it would be in contact with the intake manifold while changing the filter :v:

Content:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think I only changed the oil on my sister-in-law's 95M once but I seem to recall it being reachable from up top same as my NB.

Of course, while I had that car I actually had a bit of a callus, right on my right forearm where it would be in contact with the intake manifold while changing the filter :v:

Content:

I just remember cranking the wheel all the way over and grabbing it through the passenger wheel well. It was like a 15 minute job, no jacks required or anything.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Shoutout to Honda for building a motor that requires the oil filter to be torqued, otherwise it will vibrate loose during sustained hard driving

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BlackMK4 posted:

Shoutout to Honda for building a motor that requires the oil filter to be torqued, otherwise it will vibrate loose during sustained hard driving

lol, what is the torque?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
16ftlb

They are meant to be bottomed on the block and the torque is metal filter on metal block rather than just compressing the rubber

To be clear, I am talking about the F20C / F22C1 in the S2000. Hand-tightened filters backing off and causing fires is not uncommon. They have numbers printed on the filter that indicate how far you need to turn them if you don't have the filter cap and a torque wrench.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

um excuse me posted:

Also shout out to Mazda for requiring disassembly of the engine to get to the filter on a first gen Miata.

If it's like an NB, just turn the wheels and go in through the passenger fender well. I don't remember which way it was. If something is difficult on an NA or NB Miata you're probably missing the trick.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Prong Song posted:

There was another cool rotary there, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB_d9j-oWqY

That was nice. Thank you for posting!

Edit: Mazda put the oil filter on the top left rear on rotaries. Very convenient.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 26, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wrar posted:

If it's like an NB, just turn the wheels and go in through the passenger fender well. I don't remember which way it was. If something is difficult on an NA or NB Miata you're probably missing the trick.

No I got out that way, but I couldn't do it without removing the intake brace next to it. My arm didn't fit from the top and it's simply not visible or accessible from the bottom because of the subframe. Strongly considering a filter relocation kit.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Content:

I'll agree with Freiburger's comment. Dulcich is absolutely the best part of that picture.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is apparently a thing that was going on in Australia in the 30's and I've never heard of it.

https://i.imgur.com/5gOs7Xw.gifv

But it's loving awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cat Terrist is old enough, he probably participated in that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xzzy posted:

This is apparently a thing that was going on in Australia in the 30's and I've never heard of it.

https://i.imgur.com/5gOs7Xw.gifv

But it's loving awesome.

Why isn't this on ESPN the Ocho or something?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'll agree with Freiburger's comment. Dulcich is absolutely the best part of that picture.

Rising from the tire smoke like the demigod he is.

um excuse me posted:

Strongly considering a filter relocation kit.

I'm at a point now where if I ended up with another Miata, I'd either do this... or K-swap it. I also wish I had canister-converted my MS3 instead of dicking around with that plastic piece of poo poo.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Finger Prince posted:

princess auto (Canuck harbor freight)
"Hoser Freight"

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

That distributor looks like a diesel's injection pump.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Why isn't this on ESPN the Ocho or something?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Shout out to the guys at the fuckin Toyota dealer who change my oil for me because I'm too fuckin lazy.

And (so I've heard) to the Ford engineers because allegedly, you have to lift up and take a front tire off the new Ranger to get at the filter.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Everything that I’ve seen and read about the new Ranger is that it’s a stone cold bitch to work on. I’d definitely wait for the new platform redesign that’s coming in 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

Everything that I’ve seen and read about the new Ranger is that it’s a stone cold bitch to work on. I’d definitely wait for the new platform redesign that’s coming in 2021

It's small and gross inside too. A total shitshow

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That makes 8-year-old me very happy.
50-year-old me isn't too far behind.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

boxen posted:

That distributor looks like a diesel's injection pump.

The distributor is between the plenums, next to the fan up top. That box is the mechanical fuel injection pump, which is driven off a single camshaft.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

glyph posted:

The distributor is between the plenums, next to the fan up top. That box is the mechanical fuel injection pump, which is driven off a single camshaft.

Oh, makes sense that it'd look like a diesel injection pump, then. I wasn't expecting to see flexible fuel injection lines, but I suppose the pressure was likely lower than what we deal with now.

All that cool fab work and a small block Chevy? Boooring. At least it's got a nice big blower.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.fcaheritage.com/en-uk/heritage/stories/lancia-trevi-bimotore

:stare:

i need to go lay down

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

um excuse me posted:

Shout out to Subaru for putting top mounted filters in their cars for the last 6 years or so.

You just lean over the right hand fender and reach under the intake and twist it off. If it's stuck, there's room to get your claw filter wrench in there and a 3" extension on your ratchet and twist it.

We're talking NA MX-5, right? There's nothing requiring even the slightest bit of disassembly on those to get an oil filter off.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I always went at the filter on my NA 1.8 through the front passenger wheel well. If you pop off the wheel there's a TON of room, rather than the tight clearance going through the top.

Minor annoyance, but you're already jacking the car up to get to the drain anyway.

Just :lol: if you did major disassembly to remove the oil filter on an NA.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The intake strut is the extent of the disassembly. Two bolts up top, one underneath. A lot of them don't have them because POs remove them, before you judge my particular experience.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The 60s had all the best drugs :(

e: holy poo poo, this website is so delightfully 90s

https://www.timdutton.com/reef/2wd.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

You just lean over the right hand fender and reach under the intake and twist it off. If it's stuck, there's room to get your claw filter wrench in there and a 3" extension on your ratchet and twist it.

We're talking NA MX-5, right? There's nothing requiring even the slightest bit of disassembly on those to get an oil filter off.

Yeah it just requires tiny baby arms to fit between the fender and manifold.

I do actually have the filter chain based wrench but this still a huge pain in the rear end since you have to put it on down there.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Powershift posted:

It's small and gross inside too. A total shitshow

:perfect:

I need to buy this before the inevitable collapse of society.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Just like any tool infomercial, I question the efficacy at more than 15 ft*lbs. Strap wrenches are $5 at harbor freight. Plus if you want a home brew way to take off a filter without a filter wrench, to just drive a screwdiver through it and use it like a handle.

The last time I used the stab-with-a-screwdriver method was the first oil change I did on my new-to-me E30 a few years ago. It was torqued on so hard that when I put leverage on the screwdriver, it just tore through the filter housing, and then I was left with a jagged half of an oil filter stuck on the engine :(

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

glyph posted:

The really hilarious thing is reading about the development of it. Injection pump is Kugelfischer, which is fundamentally like a diesel injection pump in the "piston per cylinder" way but has a 3d cam to basically have fully mechanical alpha-N (map of throttle position vs RPM gives VE and thus fuel to inject per cycle) which was basically the hottest poo poo until EFI got good in the 80s. So they build a testbed of the 917/10 engine and tune it perfectly on the dyno, and everything's really promising - power is substantially more than the 16 cylinder versions they were trying, all was good. Put it in a testbed, take it out to a track and... sucker is just a dog. Goes from belching black smoke and sputtering around to going like a bat out of hell, all at once, with no in between. Lap times were basically the same as the naturally aspirated 917.

"Hey guys, it's almost like it's running pig rich." "That can't be, we tuned it precisely on the dyno!" "... but what about before the turbos spool...?" "Ohhhhh."

It's really cool to me in a way in that like, they were inventing this stuff, there weren't established practices, someone had to think about what was happening.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Man, those pre-facelift Pontiac Azteks really haven’t aged well. :haw:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

T-Square posted:

The last time I used the stab-with-a-screwdriver method was the first oil change I did on my new-to-me E30 a few years ago. It was torqued on so hard that when I put leverage on the screwdriver, it just tore through the filter housing, and then I was left with a jagged half of an oil filter stuck on the engine :(

did you have to find a really big potato?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
https://i.imgur.com/H5wzoYA.mp4

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Arcella posted:

did you have to find a really big potato?

I was going to make this joke-- but then I assumed the only people that would get it are those that watched Home Improvement/Tool Time-- and resisted. drat you. :arghfist:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

... has a 3d cam to basically have fully mechanical alpha-N (map of throttle position vs RPM gives VE and thus fuel to inject per cycle) which was basically the hottest poo poo until EFI got good in the 80s.

I hadn’t thought about mechanical injection would actually need to do to map fuel (or much about mechanical injection all if I’m honest), that’s really cool. Doesn’t ferrari (are there others? there probably are, I honestly don’t know) use a 3d cam profile for an [effectively] infinitely adjustable vetch style variable lift? Seems like a huge ask for cam bearings to have the shaft slide axially through them.

mekilljoydammit posted:

"Hey guys, it's almost like it's running pig rich." "That can't be, we tuned it precisely on the dyno!" "... but what about before the turbos spool...?" "Ohhhhh."

It's really cool to me in a way in that like, they were inventing this stuff, there weren't established practices, someone had to think about what was happening.

Growing up 15 miles from Watkins glen has put an amazing assortment of old and rare cars in front of my eyes, I have to say that it’s only in the last half dozen years or so, since I’ve been working at a place with access to a machine shop, that I’ve given pre-war stuff more than a cursory glance. I get it now- just looking at a machine of that era through the lens of this era, you can pick up the decisions and see how ‘let’s throw this at the wall and see what sticks’ automobile engineering was then compared to now.

I love stories like that, and there’s an awesome thread (engineering anecdotes) there, but stories/anecdotes like never really seem to come up without some prompting.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

glyph posted:

I hadn’t thought about mechanical injection would actually need to do to map fuel (or much about mechanical injection all if I’m honest), that’s really cool. Doesn’t ferrari (are there others? there probably are, I honestly don’t know) use a 3d cam profile for an [effectively] infinitely adjustable vetch style variable lift? Seems like a huge ask for cam bearings to have the shaft slide axially through them.

Growing up 15 miles from Watkins glen has put an amazing assortment of old and rare cars in front of my eyes, I have to say that it’s only in the last half dozen years or so, since I’ve been working at a place with access to a machine shop, that I’ve given pre-war stuff more than a cursory glance. I get it now- just looking at a machine of that era through the lens of this era, you can pick up the decisions and see how ‘let’s throw this at the wall and see what sticks’ automobile engineering was then compared to now.

I love stories like that, and there’s an awesome thread (engineering anecdotes) there, but stories/anecdotes like never really seem to come up without some prompting.

A turbocharged 917 engine dates back to 1971ish, that’s not pre-war!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

drgitlin posted:

A turbocharged 917 engine dates back to 1971ish, that’s not pre-war!

Well aware. (E: had I said ‘early’ instead, would you have been less insufferable about ‘correcting’ me? Also, 70s race cars always demand more than a cursory glance, everyone knows that- even 7 year old me when I saw Donahue’s Penske 30, and had to be peeled off with a spatula by my dad so we could move on).

I was more riffing on the mechanical turbo fuel mapping anecdote to the similarities to earlier automotive hacks and bodges- things like friction dampers on leaf spring suspensions that were tuned with a wingnut, or the crazy vw beetle windshield washer sprayer that used the spare tire for pressure and the complementary tire pump/hose that worked by removing a spark plug to run the engine on 3 and using the fourth cylinders compression to pump up a tire. I LOVE poo poo like that.

I only brought up pre-war because that era of cars feels even more ‘solitary genius in a shed’ than the post war stuff which feels more designed by committee. (Now please don’t jump on me about the washer bodge being a 1953 innovation or whatever).

glyph fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 28, 2019