Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Remedy's new game Control is out on Xbox PC and Playstation. On PC you'll need to use the Epic Store, if you want to complain about that do it elsewhere please!

I've only just started but the shooting seems fun and the environments have Remedy's signature attention to detail. I've heard it described as a metroidvania shooter, it apparently has an in universe TV show like Max Payne, oh and it is EXTREMELY pretty.

Sorry about the poor OP, I thought this game deserved a thread so here is one! I'll improve the op when I have a moment. But here is a box shot!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing on PC with a nvidia 980 and it's tearing a lot with vsync so I turned it on, and god it's got bad fps. This is with settings on low/medium.
edit: yep, new nvidia drivers just for control.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the lack of a cover system is just fantastic in my opinion, it makes the fights really fast, mobile and engaging

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Ditto, I saw this at work and wondered where the heck it came from, no fanfare or whatnot.

So far the only real gripes I've seen across all formats is all kinds of fun tearing and the occasional FPS drops, but it certainly does look pretty drat interesting. From what I've seen so far, besides the familiar VA's and whatnot, it definitely seems to be taking a page out of the original Alan Wake game, and definitely seems to have that same 'want to keep playing, just to find out how this gets weirder' kind of feel.

Some folks have been comparing it gameplay wise to ( It's a minor spoiler for early on, for anyone familiar ) the old Psy-Ops game, because of all the fuckery you can do with the powers, puzzles and the physics engine.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The game reminds me a hell of a lot of a cross between Unknown Armies, Twin Peaks, Beyond The Black Rainbow and a host of other things and I love it. The slowdown in big firefights gets excessively aggravating though (playing on a regular PS4) and I'm amazed they let it slide without comment. Hoping there's a patch along the way to deal with that.

Any word yet on what's in the season pass?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Game is extremely good so far.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got an early copy basically sight unseen. The entire pre opening credits sequence convinced me that this is My poo poo (Did the creepy old janitor just respond to my inner monologue?). My only complaint is that some encounters last a bit too long.

I am on PS Pro and it has been surprisingly smooth.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 27, 2019

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Unlucky7 posted:

(Did the creepy old janitor just respond to my inner monologue?).

Yes. And so far, no one ever comments on it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Installing the newest geforce driver makes this run fine. It's absolutely critical if you have an nvidia card.

edit: Controller is better than mouse for this one. And I'm pretty sure I heard the finnish janitor say the finnish word for 'oval office', lol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_profanity#vittu

redreader fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 28, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
holy moley you dont need an object to tk someone with you can just pull chunks of concrete out of the ground, that's too cool

edit:

the first aid kits contain single bottles of aspirin, what good is that going to do anyone??

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 27, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm about four hours in and this is the first game in a long time that I've stopped to read and listen to every single audiolog. The batshit "every conspiracy theory is true" premise is great and I love the creepy sterile office environment. Definitely one of the most unique games I've played all year.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The Walrus posted:

holy moley you dont need an object to tk someone with you can just pull chunks of concrete out of the ground, that's too cool

edit:

the first aid kits contain single bottles of aspirin, what good is that going to do anyone??

This is a max Payne reference.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I'm running this on a 1060 and the new nvidia drivers did not make a noticable difference for me. Is this just performance increases in RTX stuff? I'm on DirectX 12 but only have RTX debris enabled and it runs pretty okay, even if not at a solid 60.

As for the game, I am very much liking it so far--it almost reminds me of, like, Evil Within 2, just with a bit more power fantasy rather than survival horror. Combat feels meaty enough to matter but your health can really drop in an instant, which creates this weird thing where you need to run back to where you originally chipped some health elements off the enemy before re-engaging. Not sure I like this more than simple regenerating health.

I do like how this game supports relatively non-linear play. I just finished Maintenance and the game really opens up, so I went off the beaten path and sure enough, found some difficult but not impossible quests and powerups. Curious to see if there's any sequence breaking you can do.

Also, for anyone who particularly likes the setting, maybe consider reading some of SCP Foundation entries (bonus: just read some of the top rated ones).

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is a max Payne reference.

I still use my MP1 mousepad - I know :)

Has anyone else noticed any easter eggs or references? The cigarettes are Black Pyramid brand, I wonder if that has any deeper meaning or if its just a nod to the setting

for combat the Uncharted method of hipfire and then melee seems really good

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The Walrus posted:

Has anyone else noticed any easter eggs or references? The cigarettes are Black Pyramid brand, I wonder if that has any deeper meaning or if its just a nod to the setting

the first thing that jumps to mind is the giant pyramid from night vale but i don't know if the color of that was ever specified

also apparently the devs explicitly confirmed the setting is inspired by the SCP foundation in an interview last year

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 28, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011

f#a# posted:

Also, for anyone who particularly likes the setting, maybe consider reading some of SCP Foundation entries (bonus: just read some of the top rated ones).

This game is basically just SCP writ large and by consistently competent writers instead of having to dig through the detritus. I'm way, way into it not simply because of that aspect but because it also feels like half a dozen other things writ large. A decade and a half after anyone stopped thinking it was a good idea, we got a good X-Files game, among other (though less prominent) properties and concepts.

The game itself is solidly Remedy; the shooting is fine, not great. The powers are extremely cool and lead into a lot of fun combat scenarios as you get more of them. The main plot is not the most compelling part of what they've built. They keep making the same mistakes with every game they make but none of them are ever enough (I love Max Payne 3 shut up) to drag down the really cool ideas that whirl around the flawed core of their games.

You probably already know if you'll like this game and if you need any more nudging, or confirmation you won't, just watch the opening 15 minutes on youtube or a twitch person you like.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Why hasn't some enterprising indie dev made a base-building/management game with this same type of setting?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Interesting Sam Lake is still making games. I wonder how this one will turn out.

Orv posted:

They keep making the same mistakes with every game they make but none of them are ever enough (I love Max Payne 3 shut up) to drag down the really cool ideas that whirl around the flawed core of their games.

I thought they didn't do max payne 3. That was someone else.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pylons posted:

Why hasn't some enterprising indie dev made a base-building/management game with this same type of setting?

Surprise, it's anime!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

the monkey's paw struck me from the past

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

an XCOM like game where you play as the FBC or something similar would be very cool

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The lore in this absolutely whips, and every doc is a must-read.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Tart Kitty posted:

The lore in this absolutely whips, and every doc is a must-read.

it's extremely my poo poo

first game in awhile where i've searched for all the lore

well besides outer wilds but finding the lore is the whole point of that game lol

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
its a little thing to be impressed by, but their use of redactions in the docs could easily be annoying but it's not, every one is placed perfectly.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Tenzarin posted:

I thought they didn't do max payne 3. That was someone else.
Max Payne 3 was Rockstar and it shows in the lack of charm, basically being Max Payne but if the GTA guys wrote it. Its been 7 years and I will go to my grave mad about this even if Max Payne 3 was a fun game.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Game would be a lot more enjoyable if the main characters voice didn't sound like a 21 yr old. She looks to be much older?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Its Winona Ryder?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Orv posted:

This game is basically just SCP writ large and by consistently competent writers instead of having to dig through the detritus. I'm way, way into it not simply because of that aspect but because it also feels like half a dozen other things writ large. A decade and a half after anyone stopped thinking it was a good idea, we got a good X-Files game, among other (though less prominent) properties and concepts.

less obvious but it's also really heavily inspired by the Southern Reach trilogy, which most people would know from the Alex Garland movie Annihilation - just saw an interview where they directly cited it.

the sequel to annihilation, Authority, is about the hosed up government agency that develops a horrible bureaucracy and manages the alien zone, run by the main character, the director, whose nickname is Control. if you like the more melancholy and Weird poo poo in this game you'd like it

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 28, 2019

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I jumped into this without knowing much about it and holy poo poo am I enjoying it. Definitely reminds me of Max Payne in all the right ways. Running it on a 2070 and the RTX is gorgeous and the real time lighting surprisingly really adds to the spooky atmosphere.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I haven't been paying attention to the epic games store "thing" because I haven't care about any of the games on it so far, but I really want this game. I assume it's not going to steal my credit card or whatever, nerds are just angry at it because they have to split their games between multiple distributors?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I haven't had any issues with Epic other than their crappy store and weird patching but if you're concerned pay with PayPal and tell it not to save the info or buy it off the HumbleBundle site. You do want to enable two-factor authentication on your Epic account though because a million randos will try to break into it using your email address to steal your fortnite dollars if it is on any of those pwned lists and it can lockout your account.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 28, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hub Cat posted:

Max Payne 3 was Rockstar and it shows in the lack of charm, basically being Max Payne but if the GTA guys wrote it. Its been 7 years and I will go to my grave mad about this even if Max Payne 3 was a fun game.

Lack of charm hurts it, but the abandonment of exploration-based levels in favor of more linear, cutscene-based pacing hurt MP3 too. And I liked MP3 for what it was, but it was sorely missing the sandbox-ness of Ragnarok from MP1 or the high-class apartment building from MP2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just got to the Maintenance section earlier and saw that there was a door marked at level 2 clearance, which I didn't have. I did see that there were large windows right next to the door so I just melee blasted that and walked through the resulting hole.

Also this isn't exactly bad but it is definitely a weird choice where early on you get your first power and shortly after that fight your first boss but they made it so that your new power just straight up doesn't work on the boss. After you defeat the boss you get a dossier on their type of enemy and it explicitly says "yeah, that power doesn't work on them."

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I've actually been looking forward to this game since it was announced after hearing it was based in large part on SCP/X-files type lore so I've been waiting a long time for this.

Don't skip out on the Threshold Kids videos, I've only found the first one so far but if they're all like that one it's gonna be good. Like an in-game mashup of Channel Zero/Unedited Footage of a Bear/This House Has People In It.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Deciding if I should get this on PC or PS4 Pro. Does this game support Crossfire? I dug around but I don't can't find any info. I have two R9 380X which generally helps keep the frame rates and resolution nice and high. Otherwise I'll play on my couch :)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

Also this isn't exactly bad but it is definitely a weird choice where early on you get your first power and shortly after that fight your first boss but they made it so that your new power just straight up doesn't work on the boss. After you defeat the boss you get a dossier on their type of enemy and it explicitly says "yeah, that power doesn't work on them."

You can use Throw on him, you just need to hit him with the pistol a few times first.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
So I only played to the first save point on PC, but what's going on with the horrific motion blur and objects and lighting loading in way after the camera's pointed at them, but in the white space there was no blur at all? Is this stylistic and it goes away or is this just gonna give me a headache if I keep going?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hub Cat posted:

It totally lacked the charm. Now Alan Wake was just flat amazing. Then they got the Nissan money and Quantum Break... kinda sucked.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Dumb question but how do you switch the shoulder perspective for aiming down sight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

space marine todd posted:

Dumb question but how do you switch the shoulder perspective for aiming down sight?

R or Down on the D-pad