Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

NRVNQSR posted:

Just so you know, winning episodes is not how you unlock the last character.

I mean technically you do have to win one episode at some point but it doesn't matter which one it is.

I didn't mean to imply beating episodes is how you unlock the character. I just meant I am at the point where I have to actually win another episode.

edit: oh i see what you mean. i could just replay an old one couldn't i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Regy Rusty posted:

I really need tips on Witch 6 because so many of the bonus round rules are terrible for her. Plus you have both parallel and normal items showing up and mana makes combining them into a consistent build really tough. Plus mana is inherently slow and I just don't have time to build it up in tough fights. Help I want to finish this

it took me a couple of tries. luckily the witch pu spells give you decent combo potential, and cold snap is completely incredible, deals 5 and takes an odd. on my winning run i had that and bronze cauldron which is just nuts. that and duplicate and im doing crazy damage every turn

mana is a cool idea but it's too slow. luckily cold snap is good here too because if you need the freeze you can ramp mana otherwise just damage damage damage

unfortunately some of the modifiers are really bad for the witch. rolling into the lose a die one is pretty much game over

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

power word- Jeb! posted:

unfortunately some of the modifiers are really bad for the witch. rolling into the lose a die one is pretty much game over

This is my main problem because with so few dice, things like one dice being burning or frozen, or to a lesser extent blinded, every turn is a nightmare. But you can't always afford to randomize away from them in case you get something worse.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Saw a stream of this last night and immediately bought it and I've been hooked since. :shepface:

I almost had a really great Witch run my first try and then I got stalemated into oblivion by the Loud Bird. Crucible is a fun as hell spell to get though, if you slam it on an upgraded spell slot you get 4 burning dice to chunk at enemies. That's a cheap 8 damage per use. The ridiculous part is that this triggers enemy weakness so Snowman & Friends just get obliterated by a hurricane of flaming dice.

Also had a stupidly fun successful Thief 2 run because I was able to get Sneeze+ and Dagger+. It's like I was playing a dagger throw Silent in Slay the Spire all over again.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I think Wizard should be disbarred from casting Frozen All in an Elimination round as Robot, didnt have a single usable move that did more then 1 damage in that fight while he constantly got more and more dice from his sixes.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

This game plays a lot faster, and has more variety in the setup compared to Slay the Spire. But it's also just more bullshit than Slay the Spire. Even in the basic episodes, a few good rolls on the enemy's side really stand out. And some characters, like robot, have very few tools to affect enemy dice. That said, freeze is way too strong, both for and against the player.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

For the Witch's early episodes: Healing Crystal and whatever the 3-shield-for-Odd-dice card is are really really useful. Having two shield cards on two upgraded slots handles a lot of enemies!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
god this run was stupid (thief 2, stole a sneeze from sneezy and got a poison needle from somewhere):

... and then i got detonator in the last treasure chest:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There is so much dumb poo poo available on Thief 2. You can steal the Freeze spell from the wizard and upgrade it to Freeze All. That's pretty much a win all by itself.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress I finally beat witch 6.

And I got the enemy dodge rule too so I thought for sure I was screwed. Thank goodness for that auto attacking bolt, I won many fights just stacking 3 of them and using magic shield to survive.

What lies behind Lady Luck's door seems worth it so far though, things just got weird.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THIS IS SO SICK

Stick with it kids the finale makes the suffering worthwhile

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Im cryign

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

FriEnDsHiP!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

does blind actually do anything to enemies

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me, unlocking the Witch: I like this gimmick, lemme try and beat her episode next!

Me, hours later: gently caress YOU LOUD BIRD gently caress YOUUUUU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

President Ark posted:

Definitely not, that's why I don't THINK any player items actually inflict it, only ones stolen from enemies.

Anyway I DID IT I beat the game. There were times in the depths of the Witch's episodes that I wanted to give up (and frequently did in the sense of going away from it for a few days) but the Finale is so cool and so fun it was all worth it.

Don't despair even when things get hard, stick with it and you will be rewarded in the end!

I'm freeeeee

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Definitely not, that's why I don't THINK any player items actually inflict it, only ones stolen from enemies.

Anyway I DID IT I beat the game. There were times in the depths of the Witch's episodes that I wanted to give up (and frequently did in the sense of going away from it for a few days) but the Finale is so cool and so fun it was all worth it.

Don't despair even when things get hard, stick with it and you will be rewarded in the end!

I'm freeeeee

one of the robot items inflicts a random status which can inflict blind, which is why i asked

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

President Ark posted:

one of the robot items inflicts a random status which can inflict blind, which is why i asked

Ahh well that's probably just to add a useless one to the pool, that rascally robot

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

the true hearts desire was the friends we made along the way

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

This game's sense of humor continues to be incredible.

And does the similarity of this game to the Wonderland Arc of The Adventure Zone stand out to anyone else? Rigged gameshow, inescapable dungeon, male and female host at first, things happening to their bodies, dice, escape through a door at the end because of FRIENDSHIP?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pixeltendo posted:

I think Wizard should be disbarred from casting Frozen All in an Elimination round as Robot, didnt have a single usable move that did more then 1 damage in that fight while he constantly got more and more dice from his sixes.

What were you doing that guaranteed jackpots weren't balancing out?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

President Ark posted:

Yes, but it's implemented oddly; it re-randomises their dice values after they slot them. So they'll still put a six into Shovel but there's only a 1-in-6 chance they'll get six damage and the "on 6" effect when they do.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Jedit posted:

What were you doing that guaranteed jackpots weren't balancing out?

I did get guaranteed jackpots, but even doing 5 damage wasn't enough to kill him :(

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

This game's sense of humor continues to be incredible.

Carefully compare this entry to the entry immediately following it.

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
Witch episode 6 is poo poo and i have no idea how to get through it. Almost all floor penalties just completely gimp her and they added bunch of really bad spells to chests like sine wave.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh my god there's special Lady Luck dialogue for winning as a bear and all the NPCs won't sell you stuff and one even assumes you're Alchemist for a second aaaa I love this game

edit: this is a super loving specific question actually, but I wonder if there's time-restricted Baby Squid dialogue for that?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I still haven't actually cleared episode 1 of Witch yet and meanwhile I've done this instead. Only episode 3 with the Max HP loss took me more than one try. 1 Star of difficulty indeed I guess.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Just played PU Robot for the first time and hatched the Egg into a "Very Good Sword+", does it always make that (well, not+ if you don't upgrade the Egg I assume) or is it random?

also it's a very good sword :shobon:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Just played PU Robot for the first time and hatched the Egg into a "Very Good Sword+", does it always make that (well, not+ if you don't upgrade the Egg I assume) or is it random?

I don't know how many items there are in the egg pool but there's definitely a variety

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Mine hatched into a Flamethrower+, which was sort of useful but a bit disappointing. What's the VGS+ do?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh my god there's special Lady Luck dialogue for winning as a bear and all the NPCs won't sell you stuff and one even assumes you're Alchemist for a second aaaa I love this game

edit: this is a super loving specific question actually, but I wonder if there's time-restricted Baby Squid dialogue for that?

There doesn't seem to be special dialogue for that situation, sadly.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's random, and Egg and Egg+ are two different pools--Egg+ means it when it says it contains a bigger item, and bigger is not always better. VGS+ is probably one of the best results of either pool though.

Egg:
Magic Spear
Teleport Spell
Fury Spell
The Cold
Polar Star
Spare 6
Table Slam
Fishing Net
Ruby Weapon
Hookshot

Egg+:
Dark Shadow+
Flying Skull+
Power Crystal+
Overwhelm+
Bear Maul+
Fire Breath+
Two Handed Sword+
Tower Shield+
Earthquake+
Very Good Sword+
Flamethrower+

Stickman posted:

Mine hatched into a Flamethrower+, which was sort of useful but a bit disappointing. What's the VGS+ do?

Takes any single die, does 3*die damage.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeesh, looks likes I got just about the only boring one in the pile. Half of those I don't think I've ever seen!

E: Yeah, that secret-secret seventh character is awesome!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, Very Good Sword+ was simultaneously insanely boring and, oops, rollled a 6, take 18 with no stipulations, I was very happy with it.

Still no clue if Egg is better than the 12-countdown deal 9 immune to bust that it was offered against. I suspect yes?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I just managed to get this to happen and no there's no special dialogue.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I just managed to get this to happen and no there's no special dialogue.
I'm sad about that.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I can't remember if they've said anything in my game so far, do they ever bring up the car on the prize wheel?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
How does shield bash work? I put doubles into it and nothing happens, no shield points and no damage.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

doesn't shield bash deal damage based on how many shields you already have, not give you shields

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

President Ark posted:

doesn't shield bash deal damage based on how many shields you already have, not give you shields

well poo poo, good to know. The tool tip was kind of unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Yeah, Shield Bash does damage equal to your current Shield total. It's a build around. Upgrade that thing: doubles is real hard to fit into a full turn.