Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
lol jesus christ so I download the Epic Games store, enter all my poo poo, set up 2FA, buy this game, and now it's in my library greyed out saying "Unavailable" with no clear reason why that's the case, how to download it, etc.

I mean I'll try to figure it out but pretty alienating experience if your aim is to kill steam store, which is literally click button -> play game

edit: i closed the browser twice and now it's letting me download it. that's my story, thanks all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Is there a photo mode?

This game has some really amazing set pieces.

Also the (early dead letters location) Threshold Kids video what the gently caress was that. I can’t believe they went far enough to produce that for this game. (I hope there’s story behind it later lol)

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

space marine todd posted:

Dumb question but how do you switch the shoulder perspective for aiming down sight?

R on keyboard...not sure on controller.

Psychepath posted:

So I only played to the first save point on PC, but what's going on with the horrific motion blur and objects and lighting loading in way after the camera's pointed at them, but in the white space there was no blur at all? Is this stylistic and it goes away or is this just gonna give me a headache if I keep going?

Upscaling your render resolution will make it crisper, but the motion blur is kinda baked into their AA strategy as far as I can tell. I prefer the look with MSAA off for once.

Objects appearing once in frame is definitely not stylistic, sounds like a GPU problem? Try changing your LOD settings too.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Thanks! The game is really fun but even with an i9-9900k and an RTX 2080, it runs really...janky? The framerates are above 60, but variable enough that it feels very jerky, regardless of what settings I'm using.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Would you say that this is a horror game, or more straight action?

Orv
May 4, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

Would you say that this is a horror game, or more straight action?

Psychological horror, more than like horror movie or jump. It's definitely a shooter in means of interaction.

A lot of the horror is also in lore docs and audio tape style stuff.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Orv posted:

Psychological horror, more than like horror movie or jump. It's definitely a shooter in means of interaction.

A lot of the horror is also in lore docs and audio tape style stuff.

Alright, that sounds like something I can handle. Good to know!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Is there a way to turn off this motion blur? I'm not seeing anything in the graphics options and its driving me nuts

(PC)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh if you're asking for like, personal levels of handling, yeah it's more like the first half of a horror movie where it's creepy and hosed up/weird but not super in your face scream time.

Hipster Occultist posted:

Is there a way to turn off this motion blur? I'm not seeing anything in the graphics options and its driving me nuts

(PC)

It's baked into some of AA methods.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bold move to make the map in a game with a ton of backtracking and exploration suck complete rear end.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

f#a# posted:

Upscaling your render resolution will make it crisper, but the motion blur is kinda baked into their AA strategy as far as I can tell. I prefer the look with MSAA off for once.

Objects appearing once in frame is definitely not stylistic, sounds like a GPU problem? Try changing your LOD settings too.

I dunno what was going on. No matter what my settings were, the main character looked upsampled from 720p but with weird crispy hair, physics objects looked like 10fps voxels, and the lighting would take half a second to gradually fill in whenever I turned around. Maybe not a game for an old 1060.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I don't think that my question is a spoiler, but just in case:

I am confused by the purple mold. I think I've made a decent amount of progress through the story, but I haven't found a way to clear it or survive it. Have I missed something, or is it coming later?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone figured out how to get rid of the 10000 unskippable videos on startup?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
VO aside the game feels like a actiony/spooky Evil Within 2/Quantum Break hybrid which I am 100% okay with. Sweet jesus I finally got the dodge ability.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

GlenMR posted:

I don't think that my question is a spoiler, but just in case:

I am confused by the purple mold. I think I've made a decent amount of progress through the story, but I haven't found a way to clear it or survive it. Have I missed something, or is it coming later?

There's a whole sub-basement filled with mold, but traversible, with quests and stuff. It's at the bottom of an elevator shaft in Research, but it had level 6 enemies and I was way outclassed there. Maybe try that?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

redreader posted:

Anyone figured out how to get rid of the 10000 unskippable videos on startup?

I was wondering the same thing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Id like to get rid of those as well, it’s very annoying when I’m trying to troubleshoot the crashes I get every 10 minutes.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

f#a# posted:

There's a whole sub-basement filled with mold, but traversible, with quests and stuff. It's at the bottom of an elevator shaft in Research, but it had level 6 enemies and I was way outclassed there. Maybe try that?

That was exactly where I needed to go. Thanks!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

How does this go on a One X?

Edit: Bone thread says fine.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hipster Occultist posted:

(PC)

This is a good resource if you care to modify any PC game, or if you care about fov/motion blur/mouse acc./etc.
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Control#Motion_blur
It will probably keep getting edits for skipping launch intros, bug fixes, w/e.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
Game runs okay-ish on the OG PS4. Some pop-ins but no discernable slowdowns so far (I’ve only encountered three or four enemies at a time though).

So when will this be released on the Switch? :D

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

Oh lord, it'd be a visual novel.

I will say, there have been few better gameplay moments this year than the first time you pull soldier towards you, braining another enemy on the way, and then launch the first poor bastard into another guy. It's fun as hell.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Wow this game came out of NOWHERE. This is pretty much the most fun Breaking poo poo game since Saints Row 4 and it runs like a loving top on my GTX 970. I can't even imagine what it'd be like on an RTX Super with raytracing on.

Unless the game quality falls off a cliff later on, I can see this being a serious GOTY contender with Doom: Eternal.

GlenMR posted:

I will say, there have been few better gameplay moments this year than the first time you pull soldier towards you, braining another enemy on the way, and then launch the first poor bastard into another guy. It's fun as hell.

Honestly the game had me in the second firefight, and I ran behind an office block which got shredded by gunfire. I am a total sucker for terrain and material deformation and this game does it drat near flawlessly.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have a 2560x1600@60hz native monitor. The game does not run with 8700K & RTX2060 at that res. So upscaling from 1080P or so seems to be the best idea and then trying to get reshade to work with the game to apply some sharpening? Or does the new geforce experience sharpening feature work with this game too? I don't have GFE installed but I guess I could try it if it's worth it.

DLSS makes everything look super mushy. For example the player character's hair looks weird with DLSS when there's any movement at all (and the player character is moving all the time, even when standing still).

Also hot drat that motion blur effect...

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This is seriously the best environment destructor ever, red faction guerilla notwithstanding. It's the evolution of games like FEAR in that respect. The way the environment just melts around you during a firefight, and the use of physics, just feels like what I imagined video games in 2019 would be like, more than what they actually are.

Walking into a warehouse room and seeing hundreds of physics objects on the shelves is just :getin:

please tell me there's some kind of massive tornado power coming down the line (don't tell me please!)

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Ihmemies posted:

DLSS makes everything look super mushy. For example the player character's hair looks weird with DLSS when there's any movement at all (and the player character is moving all the time, even when standing still).

Also hot drat that motion blur effect...

Well dlss is basically rendering at half res then using a nueral Network to fill the skipped pixels, guessing it wasn't will trained on this game yet. Will probably get better after either a couple patches out driver updates

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RTX was fun for awhile but I think I just prefer to play the game at 60fps maxed out with regular-rear end rasterized graphics.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The SSAO and volumetric lighting settings look very grainy and unrealistic a la Left 4 Dead back in the day, same as they did in Quantum Break, which is a shame. It's a beautiful game otherwise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

CJacobs posted:

The SSAO and volumetric lighting settings look very grainy and unrealistic a la Left 4 Dead back in the day, same as they did in Quantum Break, which is a shame. It's a beautiful game otherwise.

Try disabling film grain, it cleans up the picture quite a bit.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm very curious about who the "you" is and how they lead the MC to the Oldest House. Hoping it's a cool reveal that goes somewhere I'm not expecting. Maybe it's your consciousness filtering through from another time or dimension? That would kind of be too obvious though. I want it to be extremely weird.

edit oh wait poo poo what if it's actually YOU like the player? kinda sorta fits with what I've seen so far and would be very Remedy.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 28, 2019

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
I feel like I should be questioning why I’m following the orders of a mysterious psychic janitor who speaks entirely in Finnish idioms, but honestly that makes sense. If I met that man in real life I’d probably just do what he tells me to.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Try disabling film grain, it cleans up the picture quite a bit.

Nah I kinda see it, and its not a postprocessing effect. The actual shaders just have that fuzzy bit of visual noise in them. I kinda dig it though, since it gives the game about Jungian archetypes a very gauzy and dreamlike vibe. IMO it would undercut some of the feel it's going for if it were totally crisp and cleanly representational.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"Alright I've played this too long, one more thing and I'm done. Dimensional Sciences... how bad could that be?"

*the doors open*

Ah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhK6dPj-O-c

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Walrus posted:

Has anyone else noticed any easter eggs or references? The cigarettes are Black Pyramid brand, I wonder if that has any deeper meaning or if its just a nod to the setting

Not sure how much of it is intentional, but the black pyramid logo reminds me a hell of a lot of indie horror movie The Void (fantastic film, definitely check it out), where a dripping black pyramid was a key recurring visual in the movie. The weird red lava/water effects on loading screens and the like also reminds me of the trippiest sequence in another good indie horror film, Beyond The Black Rainbow. And I'll be amazed if The Threshold Kids isn't based off Candle Cove.

Speaking of the Threshold Kids, what are the lyrics to the theme song? I can kinda make some of them out, but noth the whole thing.

And can I do the training course when I first encounter it? Because 60 seconds is not enough time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Not sure how much of it is intentional, but the black pyramid logo reminds me a hell of a lot of indie horror movie The Void (fantastic film, definitely check it out), where a dripping black pyramid was a key recurring visual in the movie. The weird red lava/water effects on loading screens and the like also reminds me of the trippiest sequence in another good indie horror film, Beyond The Black Rainbow. And I'll be amazed if The Threshold Kids isn't based off Candle Cove.

Speaking of the Threshold Kids, what are the lyrics to the theme song? I can kinda make some of them out, but noth the whole thing.

And can I do the training course when I first encounter it? Because 60 seconds is not enough time.

I did but I’m a god gamer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Candle Cove was the first thing I thought of, those muppets were hella creepy.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Haha, Jessie is from Ordinary. Remedy has been teasing that for a few games as the place where Alan Wake 2 was supposed to happen, and that baaaad poo poo goes down there.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 28, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SardonicTyrant posted:

Haha, Jessie is from Ordinary. Remedy has been teasing that for a few games as the place where Alan Wake 2 was supposed to happen, and that baaaad poo poo goes down there.

Ooh. Does this mean that the novel from AW1 is an object of power? It *kind of* fits but since it technically wouldn't have been released yet would it have a place in the collective unconscious?

Could a book count as an object of power? I suppose some probably could be (the classics) but even those, the OOP seems to be very visual imagery based so if there are different editions it may not apply. It's interesting that those GAME magazines are allowed in The Oldest House, they seem very out of place. Only think I can figure is that because they are so heavily editionized (new every month) that they can't penetrate the collective unconscious, even if certain things like the magazine logo would stay constant.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The Walrus posted:

Has anyone else noticed any easter eggs or references? T

The game is set in the same universe as Alan Wake.
There is a case file that mentions him and Bright Falls by name.

Enjoying it so far, but there are tons of questionable game design decisions that are starting to become more and more obvious.

You have this super weird premise and the best you can do is to fall back to the old trope of "enemies respawning into the same room over and over as I need to traverse it for the hundredth time"? Granted, the fight mechanics are fun, but come on. Surprise me.

I think the only time the shifting in the architecture caught me off guard is right at the start when you meet the janitor close to the lobby. That was weird, or was I imagening things? Never happened again so far (Just met Dylan), other than in cutscenes or after cleansing control points.

Some of the boss fights are super tedious and aggravating.
For example: fighting a boss that basically requires you too look upwards 90% of the time while having random death pits on the ground. Even with levitate, you will die 9/10 times because the horizontal momentum will take you below the floor quickly, making reovery impossible.

Can't help but feel there is a lot of squandered potential here.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Control - Secure. Contain. Projectile.