Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Binged through the first season of Final Space, and I'll give it a solid Not Bad. A bit cheesy, but has some solid laughs and dramatic moments.

Also David Tennant is always a wonderful badguy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-preorder-disney-plus-for-less-than-4-a-month-1837621368

Disney+ going to be offered for 140 dollars for 3 years to everyone. I'm hopping on this for the Disney backlog alone. 3 years is a crazy amount of time to not worry about paying for a subscription service.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So is all of the Disney poo poo going to get ripped off of Netflix the second this thing launches or is their contract still good for a while?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

So is all of the Disney poo poo going to get ripped off of Netflix the second this thing launches or is their contract still good for a while?

It’s still good for awhile. Stuff will just slowly be removed as the rights expire and then either never come back or pop on D+.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Disney+ ESPN+ and Hulu bundle for $13 pretty much guarantees I'm cancelling every other service come November.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Just be aware the Hulu version is the with commercials version.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Medullah posted:

I can live with it for that price.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rad Valtar posted:

I can live with it for that price.

Me too (I get it for free through Sprint) but boy howdy if you read some of the threads some people are flipping out about it since there's likely to be no way to upgrade to the commercial free tier.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Unless you really like uh...golf or curling or whatever, it’s not even a discount. That’s just the normal price of Disney plus and Hulu

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Medullah posted:

Gross. I'd rather just have Hulu without ads for the same price as the bundle tbh. I think I could get away with only subbing to disney for a month out of the year and I'd barely use ESPN.

That would be an absolutely unbeatable bundle for someone who has kids and likes sports though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't even dared to google yet, but that new Dave Chappelle is going to piss a bunch of people off lol. As a whole it's still funny as hell, but there is some subject matter he needs to stop doubling down on and just back away from. Not because I'm even particularly PC or give a poo poo about any of that, but he just sounds naive and and out of his element. Like, "oh god grandpas about to go off again".

Like, dude this is three specials in a row you've gone on a screed about trans people. Give it a rest. I don't even feel like making jokes about anything should be taboo, but it was a lame bit in the first special and it's just looking kind of pathetic at this point.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 28, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is Hulu still doing that thing where if you get the pack-in subscription you're not allowed to give them more money for the ad free one? I got mine with a Spotify subscription and I couldn't upgrade it to no-ads.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

Gross. I'd rather just have Hulu without ads for the same price as the bundle tbh. I think I could get away with only subbing to disney for a month out of the year and I'd barely use ESPN.

That would be an absolutely unbeatable bundle for someone who has kids and likes sports though.

This is me. I have a 3 year old and also use to subscribe to ESPN+ for the Soccer and a few other sports. I've always wanted Hulu so this is a great deal for me. I think for people with kids Disney+ on it's own offers amazing value vs other streaming services.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

I've always wanted Hulu so this is a great deal for me.

Hulu owns. For some reason it’s had a bad rap in this thread but I find it to be just as good as Netflix. I used to leech it off a friend and barely made it a day after he canceled before getting my own sub.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fallom posted:

Is Hulu still doing that thing where if you get the pack-in subscription you're not allowed to give them more money for the ad free one? I got mine with a Spotify subscription and I couldn't upgrade it to no-ads.

No clue, but I just remembered that I have Hulu through Spotify the other day and watched a few episodes of Outer Limits and got no ads.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I made it roughly 30 minutes before upgrading to the commercial free Hulu. It wouldn't be bad if it wasn't the same 3 ads forever, every ten minutes, on every show.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm not going to get Disney+. I'm still in the "Netflix is the Steam of streaming services and all these companies attempting to cash in is dumb."

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't even dared to google yet, but that new Dave Chappelle is going to piss a bunch of people off lol. As a whole it's still funny as hell, but there is some subject matter he needs to stop doubling down on and just back away from. Not because I'm even particularly PC or give a poo poo about any of that, but he just sounds naive and and out of his element. Like, "oh god grandpas about to go off again".

Like, dude this is three specials in a row you've gone on a screed about trans people. Give it a rest. I don't even feel like making jokes about anything should be taboo, but it was a lame bit in the first special and it's just looking kind of pathetic at this point.

Dave shows that he never checks his Twitter and it shows. Both in how relaxed and unafraid he is. And also in how he doesn't rethink his stance and evolve as do many others have.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I enjoyed the Dave Chappelle Show special as a whole.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah for the most part I think it was his best one of the three he's done for Netflix.

He truly does not give a gently caress in the most genuine possible way, and I think it's one of his biggest strengths right now, but I also think it backfires on him sometimes. The new special is 90% really good and 10% yeesh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aziz Ansari spends quite a bit of time being critical of the hyper PC woke twittered world we live in in his newest special and he nails it imo, because he is super in tune with it. Dave comes at it from an angle of a man that emerged from a cryochamber from 1998 and sometimes that's really funny and sometimes I'm just like "what? How did you even come to this conclusion?"

E: sorry that was supposed to be an edit not a new post.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 28, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's pretty sad because I actually do agree that PC culture has gone out of control at times (just browser ResetEra), but there are such few people who are critical of it with reasonable opinions or who aren't bigots themselves.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have you watched the Aziz Netflix special? If not you should really check it out because it's exactly that. It's really loving good.

He's also just grown so much as a comedian from his wacky early poo poo.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Have you watched the Aziz Netflix special? If not you should really check it out because it's exactly that. It's really loving good.

I guess I can try it out. But I watched some of his standup ten years ago (had a friend who loved him) and I couldn't stand him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anything he's done in the last 5 or 6 years is so far removed from his early stuff it's not worth judging on that criteria.

Tbh I was a fan of his early albums myself, but looking back it's basically hipster kevin hart and borderline unlistenable. His 3 Netflix specials are really drat good though imo. The newest one especially.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 28, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Anything he's done in the last 5 or 6 years is so far removed from his early stuff it's not worth judging on that criteria.

Tbh I was a fan of his early albums myself, but looking back it's basically hipster kevin hart and borderline unlistenable. His 3 Netflix specials are really drat good though imo. The newest one especially.

Okay. I'll give him a shot. Thanks.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rad Valtar posted:

Disney+ ESPN+ and Hulu bundle for $13 pretty much guarantees I'm cancelling every other service come November.

Can someone please tell if ESPN+ is worth even getting? Has anyone used the service? From what I can tell none of the games that are on regular ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc.) will be on ESPN+. That makes the whole service sound useless.

Hirsute posted:

The Beach Bum is on Hulu and it's great!

I am normally down for anything Harmony Korine does (I think Spring Breakers is a misunderstood work of art), but I found myself bored with The Beach Bum. We were so bored, that when we had to stop watching it (about 80% of the way thru) due to someone coming over, no one had a desire to finish it. Shame because when I saw the trailer it looked 100% my jam.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

nate fisher posted:

Can someone please tell if ESPN+ is worth even getting? Has anyone used the service? From what I can tell none of the games that are on regular ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc.) will be on ESPN+. That makes the whole service sound useless.

It’s meant to be an add on to ESPN. I mainly used it for MLS and some European soccer leagues. It has a lot of original programming like the 30 for 30 franchise. It has some college sports, UFC, tennis and the CFL. I think you might be able to look up what they offer.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I think you're giving Aziz a little too much credit for 3 minutes spent talking about his sex assault allegations before spending an hour lambasting the same PC culture he used as a vehicle to become popular before falling victim to it.

Like, yeah, it's not a bad special, but it's pretty modest in regards to what you're praising. Saying, "I really liked R. Kelly a lot, huh? That didn't age well!" and "Even Parks & Rec have some things I wouldn't be okay with!" seems like a statement, but really he is conflating two different things as a singular thing--one is infatuation with his celebrity status that he, actual Aziz, got to participate in and brag about and incorporate into his performances but the person he idolized turned out to be a rape maniac, one is a fictional character who is only portrayed as inappropriate and pitifully sexist.

And then there are some moments that aren't great, like trying to goad a white person into saying an almost-racial slur over and over and over.

It's well-directed, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

You get all of the 30 for 30's, which is pretty cool. You get a few games in various sports (mainly soccer and baseball? some UFC I think?). You get Year One, which follows rookies entering the NBA for their first year.

That's pretty much everything notable. I got it hoping I could watch all of Basketball: A Love Story, but that's only on ESPN proper. So I watched a couple 30 for 30s and cancelled it before the free trial started.

My opinion? It's not worth it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t agree. He nailed a lot of stuff that has been bugging me about PC culture in a way that I found really relatable. Imo the way he addressed his scandal was pretty much perfect, but I thought it was pretty ridiculous to begin with so I wasn’t hoping for an hour of apologizing to begin with.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have no stock in Ansari, but it would be weird if he dedicated a good chunk of his standup special to his scandal. He'd pretty much be profiting off of it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have no stock in Ansari, but it would be weird if he dedicated a good chunk of his standup special to his scandal. He'd pretty much be profiting off of it.

I don't think that a dedicated chunk of his stand-up special is necessary. I just don't think that he should be given accolades for saying "I have allegations against me. It almost ruined my life. But people have told me they learned from it!" Like, yeah, it's fine. Except when you turn around and make fun of the 1) culture that took your sex assault allegations seriously, who you just sorta acknowledge-apologized to, 2) that you build a career out of being apart of.

Some of the bits about woke culture were funny and on-point. Twitterers "out-woking" each other is good.

I'm not saying Aziz should stay cancelled or doesn't deserve to have a special. I'm saying let's not call him a hero or something for acknowledging the skeletons. It's an okay comedy special.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Past few years has taught me that nothing whatsoever is more grating and infantile than millionaires grousing about being "canceled" and getting up on the cross about "what you can't say anymore".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
While I don't agree with everything in this review, this review is pretty good about pointing out the banal hypocrisy Aziz slings in his new special

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Past few years has taught me that nothing whatsoever is more grating and infantile than millionaires grousing about being "canceled" and getting up on the cross about "what you can't say anymore".

Totally.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also, the version of ESPN+ in the Disney bundle doesn’t feature live sports, just on-demand stuff.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Edward Mass posted:

Also, the version of ESPN+ in the Disney bundle doesn’t feature live sports, just on-demand stuff.

Where did you see that because nothing I have seen says that. It says Hulu Basic on demand tier and ESPN+. There is only one tier of ESPN+ so they would have to create one just for bundle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I don't think that a dedicated chunk of his stand-up special is necessary. I just don't think that he should be given accolades for saying "I have allegations against me. It almost ruined my life. But people have told me they learned from it!" Like, yeah, it's fine. Except when you turn around and make fun of the 1) culture that took your sex assault allegations seriously, who you just sorta acknowledge-apologized to, 2) that you build a career out of being apart of.

Some of the bits about woke culture were funny and on-point. Twitterers "out-woking" each other is good.

I'm not saying Aziz should stay cancelled or doesn't deserve to have a special. I'm saying let's not call him a hero or something for acknowledging the skeletons. It's an okay comedy special.

I didn’t call him a hero though. I said I thought it was a good comedy special.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Come on, dude's wearing an oversized t-shirt, that's how we know he's learned

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Not really. You will see it slowly disappear for a few years, then Netflixes contract kicks back in and then its removed from Disney for 2-5 years because Disney agreed to some really insane contract a few years before this merger happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Disney will probably just buy Netflix in 2 years