Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

purple death ray posted:

I will be the guy who says Sleepy Hollow isn't that bad either, sure Johnny Depp sucks rear end but the atmosphere and aesthetic is extremely my poo poo and it was one of the first movies me and my wife went to.
Sleepy Hollow also did a solid job at what it was trying to accomplish, to be a throwback to Hammer horror movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Scaramouche posted:

At this point it's probably safe to say it's the best Johnnie Depp movie too.

Was Benny and Joon any good? I think I saw it when I was 13, I don't remember much other than Depp being like a mime or street performer and Joon making grilled cheese sandwiches with a clothes iron

Speaking of Depp & Burton etc, Edward Scissorhands was another disappointment; I think I just kept expecting, based on the aesthetic, Burton films to be darker and creepier than they actually were, plot-wise.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think Scissorhands still works. It’s a bit melodramatic, but Burton really nailed the surreal suburbia feel and Farmer Ted as a jock is inspired casting.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's a tough call with some of those movies because Danny Elfman was seriously on friggin fire at the time. Music can go a long way toward elevating something that might not work otherwise, and Burton did a great job giving him a platform to do his thing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Accordion Man posted:

Sleepy Hollow also did a solid job at what it was trying to accomplish, to be a throwback to Hammer horror movies.

Watching it in black and white is pretty fun too, very Universal Monsters. I like Sleepy Hollow quite a bit, actually.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

but then

:(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:stare:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
God, I *REALLY* need to stop getting Weinstein and Fierstein mixed up.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Sobatchja Morda posted:

People also seem to forget about Batman Returns

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Are you surprised? Weinstein produced a lot of movies and TV for decades. The Weinstein Company is still a big deal, even with him gone. It's one of the ways he got away with stuff.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are you surprised? Weinstein produced a lot of movies and TV for decades. The Weinstein Company is still a big deal, even with him gone. It's one of the ways he got away with stuff.

Technically TWC went bankrupt and its assets were acquired but it seems that it's de facto the same company (now called Lantern Entertainment).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

Technically TWC went bankrupt and its assets were acquired but it seems that it's de facto the same company (now called Lantern Entertainment).
When did this happen?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

When did this happen?

Shortly after the scandal:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/07/the-weinstein-company-lantern-entertainment

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Cleretic posted:

Similarly, something I've seen put forward somewhere (possibly here) is that a struggle with a lot of the 'secret identity' heroes, but especially Batman, is that it's basically two roles in one, and in most cases you'll only get one of those to be a good performance. Spider-Man's similar; Tom Holland is a great Peter Parker but not a great Spider-Man, while Tobey Maguire was a lackluster Peter (except when he was dancing in 3, I will stand by this) but a great Spider-Man. Batman's one of the really complicated ones because there's a lot of potential things you could explore with both Batman and Bruce Wayne, you feasibly can't do all of it at once, you have to pick and choose and hope you've got an actor that can handle what he needs to.

The only performances of a 'secret identity' superhero that I can think of that pulled off both sides of the coin really well are Christopher Reeve's Superman, Kevin Conroy's Batman, Stephen Amell's Green Arrow and Melissa Benoist's Supergirl. Everywhere else, one side or the other gets let down at some point, deliberately or not.

Before anyone says it: I love Adam West's Batman, but you can barely say anything about Adam West's Bruce Wayne.

I remember reading an article years ago about how the producers of Superman Returns realized they'd cast the perfect Superman when Brandon Routh stumbled while sitting down to a meeting, like Clark Kent would have. In retrospect, it's almost hilarious because they gave him nothing to do as Clark Kent.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mojo1701a posted:

I remember reading an article years ago about how the producers of Superman Returns realized they'd cast the perfect Superman when Brandon Routh stumbled while sitting down to a meeting, like Clark Kent would have. In retrospect, it's almost hilarious because they gave him nothing to do as Clark Kent.

Routh really was a good Superman. His best superhero role was in Scott Pilgrim though.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Krispy Wafer posted:

Routh really was a good Superman. His best superhero role was in Scott Pilgrim though.

Said by someone who hasn't seen Legends of Tomorrow. Brandon Routh is just good.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Krispy Wafer posted:

I never thought he was particularly bad as Superman, but it was just hard to tell if it was him or the movie. The movie gave him nothing to do, but I also never thought he seemed particularly tall (though someone did tell me that could've been his costuming).

Push El Burrito posted:

Said by someone who hasn't seen Legends of Tomorrow. Brandon Routh is just good.

I have yet to watch that, but I'll agree on Scott Pilgrim. Also, he was a really good in his guest star role on Chuck years ago. Say what you will about the latter half of the show, but he was always fun to watch.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
They had to make a special Superman codpiece to hide Brandon Routh's thunder.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

See? No justice for the Caped Crusaders best film!

On the subject of things that aged weird, I recently rewatched Blade Runner. That final speech by Hauer is still great, but somehow hit me much harder when I realized that the film takes place in a fictionalized version of the same year that the real Hauer died.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been watching Captain Zed and the Zee Zone on Youtube, putting it here because it technically didn't age well as it's a lost cartoon now - it didn't survive. Only about 45% of the episodes are watchable quality as the other 55% have really loud white noise that drowns out the dialog completely but it has a strong concept and some fun jokes that have aged well, with my personal favourite being this one (the characters measure aspects of the dreams in factors, Fear Factor, Monster Factor, Embarrassment Factor, Fun Factor etc):

"This is strange... I'm reading a Fear Factor of Zero, but an embarrassment factor of ten!"
"Looks like he's headed for a political career..."

My personal favourite episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwqcdOIIDTo

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/LessShot/status/1158182293917372418

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Push El Burrito posted:

Legends of Tomorrow is severely silly but it's given me scenes with Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller and Brandon Routh all in the same room and I just cannot stay mad at it at all, ever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LoT being silly is what saved it from being shitcanned after the slog that was season 1

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Going back to the Dinosaurs Attack talk.

Here is my related hot take: Jurassic Park ruined all dinosaur movies for me forever. The CGI and practical animatronics, and masterful combination of the two were so good for it's time, and so amazing and realistic and awesome to me when I saw it the first time, that every subsequent attempt to put dinosaurs on film have seemes lovely, cheap and lame in comparison.

And I know I am in the minority here, but the thing that I loved the most was when Laura Dern puts her hand on the bloated, sick Triceratops who just had a poo poo. There was something about the actual physical creature that was really cool.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BrigadierSensible posted:

Going back to the Dinosaurs Attack talk.

Here is my related hot take: Jurassic Park ruined all dinosaur movies for me forever. The CGI and practical animatronics, and masterful combination of the two were so good for it's time, and so amazing and realistic and awesome to me when I saw it the first time, that every subsequent attempt to put dinosaurs on film have seemes lovely, cheap and lame in comparison.

And I know I am in the minority here, but the thing that I loved the most was when Laura Dern puts her hand on the bloated, sick Triceratops who just had a poo poo. There was something about the actual physical creature that was really cool.

Grant laying on it while it breathed was rad and Jurassic Park will be my favorite movie forever.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've been on a Jurassic Park kick lately and that really is an incredible movie. Spielberg at the top of his game in comic timing and suspense.

My new favorite part is during the T-Rex chase scene right before they finally hit 3rd gear and Laura Dern owns that scream.

EDIT: So this is the scene of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxqHVoZ0fzc

I was reading YouTube comments, which is never good, but someone said this is CGI and everyone seemed to believe him. I know the T-Rex breaking through the fallen tree is CGI because I saw a segment on that, but the rest is animatronic isn't it? The running T-Rex looks like stop motion as they're speeding away. The head slamming into the side of the Jeep is definitely a big fake dino head.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Sep 3, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I knew that if I clicked on that link, I'd waste ages watching Jurassic Park stuff. And that is exactly what happened.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

EDIT: So this is the scene of course:

Here's a better version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoub6WFaM2w&hd=1

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I know the T-Rex breaking through the fallen tree is CGI because I saw a segment on that, but the rest is animatronic isn't it? The running T-Rex looks like stop motion as they're speeding away. The head slamming into the side of the Jeep is definitely a big fake dino head.

The running t-Rex IS CGI in that sequence.

BUT the animators were all stop motion animators using physical armatures matching the skeleton rigs in the animation software to pose and animate the dinos. A DID or “dinosaur input device.”
http://www.blep.com/rd/special-effects/dinosaur-input-device/

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IN actuality the Rex couldn’t have ran that fast and probably had a fine fuzz on it as it was related to birds I am very smart

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We can't prove they weren't giant fatbirds

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We can't prove they weren't giant fatbirds

Giant fatbirds that still had 30cm long teeth.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CaptainCrunch posted:

The running t-Rex IS CGI in that sequence.

BUT the animators were all stop motion animators using physical armatures matching the skeleton rigs in the animation software to pose and animate the dinos. A DID or “dinosaur input device.”
http://www.blep.com/rd/special-effects/dinosaur-input-device/

Yeah, on multiple rewatches I guess I can more clearly see the early 90’s CGI, but the stop motion effect is still there because of how it was created.

It always helps to set your special effects in the dark. Although the final scene in the brightly lit lobby was CGI and the T-Rex looked even better.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, on multiple rewatches I guess I can more clearly see the early 90’s CGI, but the stop motion effect is still there because of how it was created.

It always helps to set your special effects in the dark. Although the final scene in the brightly lit lobby was CGI and the T-Rex looked even better.

Yeah, the JP Blu-Ray was on sale for the nice price last year. It still holds up very well, but the CGI is starting to stand out. It's pretty impressive that it took over 20 years for it to begin to look dated.

I should pick up a Blu or 4k of Starship Troopers, because that was another movie that used a combination of practical and CGI that held up a lot better than it should have.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I should pick up a Blu or 4k of Starship Troopers, because that was another movie that used a combination of practical and CGI that held up a lot better than it should have.

Maybe, but then you'd have to, y'know, watch it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

oldpainless posted:

IN actuality the Rex couldn’t have ran that fast and probably had a fine fuzz on it as it was related to birds I am very smart

I love that all the instances of
Actually Dinosaurs
:goonsay:

Are waived away by the magical fairy wand of "we introduced reptile/frog DNA to fill the missing bits"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MrUnderbridge posted:

Maybe, but then you'd have to, y'know, watch it.

Starship Troopers is a good movie and I like it :confused:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Iron Crowned posted:

Starship Troopers is amazing, and eerily predicted our response to 9/11 even though it came out 4 years prior.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Iron Crowned posted:

AFewBricksShy posted:

Starship Troopers is amazing, and eerily predicted our response to 9/11 even though it came out 4 years prior.

:agreed: It's some of Verhoeven's best work, satirizing the source material and American society all at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's been a while since I read Starship Troopers, but wasn't it itself satirizing the cold war?