Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

I thought I hated this song, but really I just hate Fleetwood Mac.

I cought the literal last seconds of them doing a q&a on the Highway on XM. Maybe this is a precursor to them playing something decent again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

stealie72 posted:

I thought I hated this song, but really I just hate Fleetwood Mac.

I cought the literal last seconds of them doing a q&a on the Highway on XM. Maybe this is a precursor to them playing something decent again.

It's already on TouchTunes. Exposing people at the bar who didn't attend Hinterland to the music these artists play.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Guess I should have posted this last night but WFPK (Louisville station) has changed up their Sunday line up a bit and some of you may like it. 3pm-6pm Eastern is Root and Boots which can be anything from Tom Petty to Waylon to Willie or Hank Sr plus new music feature in the last hour.

After that is Bluegrass Evolution which features newer stuff and from 9-11 it's classic bluegrass. wfpk.org

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i got to go to a micro-show tonight with Chris Thile, Chastity Brown, and Sun Volt. they were all delightful :q:

i have seen chris thile twice now live, and he is just ridiculous to watch. i do not play the mandolin but the lightning speed he moves his hands with on those strings is something else. he's THAT GOOD, all the time

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 28, 2019

Parachute
May 18, 2003
thats awesome. i think i would travel almost anywhere to see Son Volt play with the original lineup again (or at least w/ Jim and Dave Boquist) but I bet that will never happen.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I saw Son Volt a few years ago with my old boss. The opening band came out and was just an unassuming no-name country band that played all old covers. They were really good and did some really tasteful stuff. My boss was complaining about having to sit through them, and when they finished their set, he says "Finally!" And then Jay Farrar walked out and joined them because they were the rest of Son Volt and they played two really great sets and my boss had to eat crow. Jay Farrar has absolutely zero stage presence, though. I'd like their shows more if he had some good banter.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I've seen Son Volt and Jay Farrar live maybe a dozen times (pre-breakup back in the day) and the only time I've ever seen him smile or say more than three words was when some dude kept screaming for Whiskey Bottle (one at every show, at least back in the day) and I yelled out, "Stick to the setlist!"

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Jay Farrar has absolutely zero stage presence, though. I'd like their shows more if he had some good banter.

I mean, Son Volt isn't really "happy-clappy" music, so I don't know what the expectation is here. They're basically The Smiths of Alt-Country.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

XBenedict posted:

I mean, Son Volt isn't really "happy-clappy" music, so I don't know what the expectation is here. They're basically The Smiths of Alt-Country.

I dunno, maybe “Hey, thanks for coming out tonight. Here’s one off our new album.”

I go see plenty of melancholy bands, Jay’s the only frontman I’ve ever seen who didn’t speak to the audience at all.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Could be stage fright. I used to play with an amazing guitar player who always threw up 3 or 4 times backstage before a gig. Could have been 6 people or 600, he had the same reaction.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Happy Hippo posted:

I've seen Son Volt and Jay Farrar live maybe a dozen times (pre-breakup back in the day) and the only time I've ever seen him smile or say more than three words was when some dude kept screaming for Whiskey Bottle (one at every show, at least back in the day) and I yelled out, "Stick to the setlist!"

Then everyone cheered.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm the one screaming for Tear Stained Eye :tipshat:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I’ve seen Thile play at a few different points in his career and I’ve only ever been incredibly impressed.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

El Jebus posted:

I’ve seen Thile play at a few different points in his career and I’ve only ever been incredibly impressed.

Speaking of stage presence, is there such a thing as too much? I love Thile but every time I see him I want to shout at him to stand still for a minute. I like him best with Punch Brothers because he’s not the best on stage by quite the same huge margin.

Dammit man, stop prancing!

I did see him play with Edgar Meyer about 15 years ago and he was very subdued. They played all classical stuff, so that makes sense.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 28, 2019

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Even when he plays solo Bach and other classical he still waves around like a crazy inflatable action arm guy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wacky waving inflatable mandolin flailing tube man.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Even tho I'm from Texas I just had my first real semi-deep dive into country music recently. I tried to make a playlist with top 10 tracks that I feel like, if you didn't like any of them, even as a country skeptic, you'd be weird.

https://open.spotify.com/user/z0d14c_sign/playlist/3bf6De44OCukZo1PeWEGeh?si=YzKgbOySRAqeSCvATsXNhQ

The standouts for sure are Willie (Phases and Stages actually prompted this whole journey) and Charley Crockett. Whew, that guy has some raw talent, if anyone hasn't checked him out I highly recommend just going through his whole discography... some incredible reinterpretations of classics.

I also discovered GemsonVHS and wow that YouTube channel is a gem indeed.

Sorry for the super entry-level post, but would be interested in other artists that you'd consider good entries into country/folk/americana/whatever.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

an skeleton posted:

Even tho I'm from Texas I just had my first real semi-deep dive into country music recently. I tried to make a playlist with top 10 tracks that I feel like, if you didn't like any of them, even as a country skeptic, you'd be weird.

https://open.spotify.com/user/z0d14c_sign/playlist/3bf6De44OCukZo1PeWEGeh?si=YzKgbOySRAqeSCvATsXNhQ

The standouts for sure are Willie (Phases and Stages actually prompted this whole journey) and Charley Crockett. Whew, that guy has some raw talent, if anyone hasn't checked him out I highly recommend just going through his whole discography... some incredible reinterpretations of classics.

I also discovered GemsonVHS and wow that YouTube channel is a gem indeed.

Sorry for the super entry-level post, but would be interested in other artists that you'd consider good entries into country/folk/americana/whatever.

All of those are solid. Allow me to add a few others....

Texas-based musts: Robert Earl Keen, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Townes Van Zandt, Alejandro Escovedo, Slaid Cleaves, Hayes Carll, Joe Ely, Lyle Lovett, Rodney Crowell, and Guy Clark. I don't care what anyone says, you don't need Pat Green in this list.

Others: Listen to more John Prine, really...and Sturgill Simpson. Jason Isbell, Brandi Carlisle, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Justin Townes Earl. The holy trinity of Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, and The Jayhawks.

And if you don't listen to Gram Parsons' entire catalogue, including the International Submarine Band, and gold standard Sweetheart of the Rodeo, the you're doing yourself a serious injustice.

Bonus: A few Y'allternative/Cow Punk Favorites: Old 97's, Slobberbone, The Drams, and Fort Worth's own Holy Moly.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

XBenedict posted:

All of those are solid. Allow me to add a few others....

Texas-based musts: Robert Earl Keen, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Townes Van Zandt, Alejandro Escovedo, Slaid Cleaves, Hayes Carll, Joe Ely, Lyle Lovett, Rodney Crowell, and Guy Clark. I don't care what anyone says, you don't need Pat Green in this list.

Others: Listen to more John Prine, really...and Sturgill Simpson. Jason Isbell, Brandi Carlisle, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Justin Townes Earl. The holy trinity of Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, and The Jayhawks.

And if you don't listen to Gram Parsons' entire catalogue, including the International Submarine Band, and gold standard Sweetheart of the Rodeo, the you're doing yourself a serious injustice.

Bonus: A few Y'allternative/Cow Punk Favorites: Old 97's, Slobberbone, The Drams, and Fort Worth's own Holy Moly.

Thanks, I'll definitely try to check as many of those out as possible. Especially the Texas stuff ;) I was shocked and proud as a Texan to see just how impactful Texas-based artists have been to country music.

And man, let me emphasize how loving awesome Charley Crockett is. I was actually living in Dallas and hanging around Deep Ellum probably around the same time as he was coming up, and never heard of him. I feel like a fool! His reinterpretations of older songs are so, so good.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
I'm not Texan but wife is. We were driving in one weekend scanning the radio as we crossed into Texarkana and hit some radio station that seemed to only play old Texas country. It was incredible. I'd never want to live there but the timing of driving through when we hit that station was perfect.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Don Walser has been on my mind lately and was an incredible old fashioned Western Swing yodel guy from west Texas who I forgot I loved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdNht2kiSNQ

Johnny Gimble was a fantastic Texas fiddler too.

Playing one of my favorite tunes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgd5g1tLPtQ

And because Roy Clark was a damned hot picker and always fantastic and I like it with the words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k59g3pX-C_s

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Johnny Gimble was a fantastic Texas fiddler too.

Fun fact: Johnny was a family friend, and besides being one of the greatest humans of all time, he also gave me my first fiddle lessons. I sure have let down his memory.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

And because Roy Clark was a damned hot picker and always fantastic and I like it with the words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k59g3pX-C_s

I wonder if those blue hairs in the audience recognized that they were watching a man who was basically a fat Les Paul. Roy was so amazing as a guitarist.

He also excelled at classical guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxDQQDF6j0Y

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

He also was a two time national banjo champion and a fine 3-finger and clawhammer picker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDScmSdlJ0U

And a pretty good fiddler as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPK-zaQd1jE

Not sure there was anything with strings he couldn't play.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I'm not a fan of country normally but I've been listening to Paul Cauthen's Room 41 and it's good as hell. Cocaine Country Dancing has been my jam recently.

If any of y'all are Dallas goons, he'll be performing at Good Records on 9/9 at 8 pm.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The debut album of country lady supergroup The Highwomen seems to be getting decent reviews. I've only heard a couple of songs but I like what I've heard so far.

also yes :lol:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Wacky waving inflatable mandolin flailing tube man.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 7, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The debut album of country lady supergroup The Highwomen seems to be getting decent reviews. I've only heard a couple of songs but I like what I've heard so far.

also yes :lol:

The rewritten “Highwomen” song is amazing. Jimmy Webb co-wrote it with them to maintain the connection to the original.

Also Yola’s “freedom ride “ segment was excellent. I love her.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

XBenedict posted:

The rewritten “Highwomen” song is amazing. Jimmy Webb co-wrote it with them to maintain the connection to the original.

Also Yola’s “freedom ride “ segment was excellent. I love her.

I just discovered the HIghwomen and this song after Andy Richter, of all people, tweeted out this live performance clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kerzNA6fSc4

Wow. It was so beautiful, I cried. Before this, I was only familiar with Brandi Carlisle (she opened for the Indigo Girls when I took my wife to see them a few years ago), and that one inescapable Maren Morris pop song. But now they're on my radar, and apparently Amanda Shires and Jason Isbell are amazing and I need to get more into their stuff.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Amanda sometimes tours with Jason and his band. The first time I saw him she was along for that show, and it was really special to see them sing Cover Me Up together :)

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just discovered the HIghwomen and this song after Andy Richter, of all people, tweeted out this live performance clip:

Wow. It was so beautiful, I cried. Before this, I was only familiar with Brandi Carlisle (she opened for the Indigo Girls when I took my wife to see them a few years ago), and that one inescapable Maren Morris pop song. But now they're on my radar, and apparently Amanda Shires and Jason Isbell are amazing and I need to get more into their stuff.

Yola needs to be on your radar too, fam. She’s exceptional as well.

Brandi Carlisle is amazing. That’s all I have to say. The others are good, but Brandi is goddess level good. Always.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Amanda sometimes tours with Jason and his band. The first time I saw him she was along for that show, and it was really special to see them sing Cover Me Up together :)

I saw them do that and Vimpires at Massey Hall. Chad Gamble's drums on Cover were like thunder.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

XBenedict posted:

Yola needs to be on your radar too, fam. She’s exceptional as well.

Brandi Carlisle is amazing. That’s all I have to say. The others are good, but Brandi is goddess level good. Always.

Yeah, this was my introduction to Yola as well. Loved her verse and her voice.

When I was a teenager in the early-mid '90s, I was really into guitar-based rock music, and I went through a stupid "I hate rap and country" phase. Now I listen to very little rock (it feels like there hasn't been a lot of exciting, fresh rock in a long time, with Jack White as our last significant "rock star"), I'm catching up on decades of amazing, mind-blowing hip hop, and there's really great country/folk/Americana out there if you spend a little time exploring and sifting through the bro-country crap. My wife has even gotten me to appreciate well-crafted pop and musicals, so I feel like my tastes have expanded and improved. This thread has been very helpful, so thanks to all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was literally 20 feet away from the stage at Newport folk when they performed this song. It freaking ruled and it sounds even better here than in the recorded version. Yola is a real talent.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Now I listen to very little rock (it feels like there hasn't been a lot of exciting, fresh rock in a long time, with Jack White as our last significant "rock star"), I'm catching up on decades of amazing, mind-blowing hip hop, and there's really great country/folk/Americana out there if you spend a little time exploring and sifting through the bro-country crap.

I think a lot of the alt-country and "outsider" country artists who are around these days are honestly some of the most enjoyable rockers to listen to. The one time I got to see Sturgill Simpson live, it was hands-down one of the greatest guitar performances I've ever witnessed. And I've seen legends like Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Tom Morello, and so on...

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I think a lot of the alt-country and "outsider" country artists who are around these days are honestly some of the most enjoyable rockers to listen to. The one time I got to see Sturgill Simpson live, it was hands-down one of the greatest guitar performances I've ever witnessed. And I've seen legends like Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Tom Morello, and so on...

Same, but Old 97’s. I missed Sturgill.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
This is one of those cases where the setting truly elevates and frames the song perfectly... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAmS2gV3s6s

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

the Wife and I just spent a week in Nova Scotia and up to Cape Breton which has a sizeable Arcadian population. So we're driving thought his small french speaking town and find out they have their own radio station. You wanna hear French Blues, country, Bluegrass, Zydeco, and some good old fiddle tunes?

https://tunein.com/radio/CKJM-1061-s12174/

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Can anyone tell me who is the guitarist in the cubs jersey in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVz99AlSjto
?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Amarcarts posted:

Can anyone tell me who is the guitarist in the cubs jersey in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVz99AlSjto
?

Richard Bennett

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Live At Five! posted:

I'm not a fan of country normally but I've been listening to Paul Cauthen's Room 41 and it's good as hell. Cocaine Country Dancing has been my jam recently.

If any of y'all are Dallas goons, he'll be performing at Good Records on 9/9 at 8 pm.

This is pretty great. I've been into Kelsey Waldon lately myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqYs1avwtjo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

The next Ken Burns classic premieres on Sunday: :banjo: :clint: :banjo: