Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's like verbal tap-dancing. They razzle-dazzle you with the footwork so you don't notice the inherent flaws in their arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh wow, there's a whoooole thing about Aboriginal Australian kids being stolen from their parents and forcibly adopted into white families or white-run 'schools' that almost inevitably abuse them and treat them as slaves and consider it proof of their generic inferiority when they don't act the perfect child.

It's called "the stolen generation", and the stories are horriffic.

Children being ripped from the arms of their crying mothers by policeman and nuns to be shipped off to underfunded church facilities so they can be trained as cattlehands and/or maids, (depending on the gender), because that is the only thing that they could ever be good for and face the neglect and physical/sexual abuse synonymous with places like that, (irrespective of gender). A lot of these kids' parents never stopped looking for them, and the kids themselves had to deal with insane red tape and administrative dragging of feet to find their parents.

Oh, and up until recently the government refused to apologize because of official Liberal party policy of "gently caress the loving abbos".

YAY Australia!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Relevant article on the guardian today:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/aug/27/i-wish-id-told-dad-how-much-i-hated-him-when-children-ditch-their-parents

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

BrigadierSensible posted:

It's called "the stolen generation", and the stories are horriffic.

Children being ripped from the arms of their crying mothers by policeman and nuns to be shipped off to underfunded church facilities so they can be trained as cattlehands and/or maids, (depending on the gender), because that is the only thing that they could ever be good for and face the neglect and physical/sexual abuse synonymous with places like that, (irrespective of gender). A lot of these kids' parents never stopped looking for them, and the kids themselves had to deal with insane red tape and administrative dragging of feet to find their parents.

Oh, and up until recently the government refused to apologize because of official Liberal party policy of "gently caress the loving abbos".

YAY Australia!

We had a similar thing in Canada with the Residential schools.

Worst part is that a large amount of Canadians (if not outright majority) think we've apologized for it "too much", even though the last one closed in 1996. I mean, it's mind-blowing to me that these hellholes were still in operation for the first decade of my life.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

We had a similar thing in Canada with the Residential schools.

Worst part is that a large amount of Canadians (if not outright majority) think we've apologized for it "too much", even though the last one closed in 1996. I mean, it's mind-blowing to me that these hellholes were still in operation for the first decade of my life.

There was something similar in New Mexico. I can't remember what it was called.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
its not a bug its a feature

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Motherfucker posted:

its not a bug its a feature

Working as intended.

It's part of TheVision™

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That lady is also a textbook example of how you can have a child/significant other/spouse of a different race, and apparently love them, and still be incredibly racist.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

There was something similar in New Mexico. I can't remember what it was called.

It's happened literally anywhere white people invaded native lands

Not joking, it's literally What We Do. We invade, draw up contracts that say under OUR laws we own this land, then do it again for the kids. As long as we hide it under rule of law, it's organized, just, and ok, right?

'civilized culture' my rear end. "Look, I wrote on this piece of paper that I own your children now, so I just do, OK? This police force is here to make sure you don't resist"

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/findingcleo

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I doubt narcissists would ever stoop to be held by the same standards they expect from their children.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's happened literally anywhere white people invaded native lands

Not joking, it's literally What We Do. We invade, draw up contracts that say under OUR laws we own this land, then do it again for the kids. As long as we hide it under rule of law, it's organized, just, and ok, right?

'civilized culture' my rear end. "Look, I wrote on this piece of paper that I own your children now, so I just do, OK? This police force is here to make sure you don't resist"

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/findingcleo

Yeah, Mormons loved kidnapping Native American kids and sterilizing the girls. White people are trash. I'm sorry, POC.

Back on topic:

My old man called my phone today, even though I could swear I'd blocked his number. I declined, but I still got to feel the adrenaline get dumped into my system. I'm 39 years old. I have 100lbs and 5 inches on a 63 year old man, and just seeing him pop up on my phone still fucks me up. He hadn't tried to contact me in months after basically telling me I was disowned over text. I was almost convinced this was over.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Whatever you decide to do, you're under no obligation to re-establish contact.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Clitch posted:

Yeah, Mormons loved kidnapping Native American kids and sterilizing the girls. White people are trash. I'm sorry, POC.

Back on topic:

My old man called my phone today, even though I could swear I'd blocked his number. I declined, but I still got to feel the adrenaline get dumped into my system. I'm 39 years old. I have 100lbs and 5 inches on a 63 year old man, and just seeing him pop up on my phone still fucks me up. He hadn't tried to contact me in months after basically telling me I was disowned over text. I was almost convinced this was over.

It is over, man. It's not your fault he doesn't realize it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

I apologize when I’m wrong. My son says that I said he was the worst father in the world in front of his kids on Christmas Day 2017. I don’t talk about it much because if I really said that in front of his kids, I’m ashamed and I’m sorry and do owe an apology. I don’t remember saying it but it was quite the terrible day so I guess it is possible, even though I don’t remember. I do remember the crying though. Even so, it really is only a drop in the bucket for my son’s reasons for turning on me.

That day, they were not even engaged but he brought her to my house on Christmas Eve to celebrate with his kids. He had told me that I was only allowed to get the kids each one present. His girlfriend sent me an Amazon link with a “suggestion” what I should get them. She suggested a print for my GD’s room (age 7 at the time), and a lamp or something like that for GS (age 9 at the time). Nothing wrong with her suggestions but I know my grandkids love toys. My husband and I thought we were being cute and funny when we put several toys (all totaling under $100) in one box for each kid so it would be “1 gift.”

My son immediately said something like, “I’m not going to ruin Christmas over this but I told you only one gift. They will have to pick one from the box and the rest will be given to charity.” This absolutely did come close to ruining Christmas. I was crying, the kids were crying and his future wife sat on the couch saying, “This isn’t what Jesus would want,” over and over again. I never asked what she meant but I am sure she was on my son’s side in this and it may have been her that was behind the whole “only 1 gift thing” from the start. So is it possible I said what I was probably thinking in the heat of all that? I guess. But if I did, it was wrong and I should not have.

I am not sorry for most of the stuff he is angry at me about, though because it was very specific actions to protect his kids who needed protection at the times I acted on their behalf.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
A frequent pattern with these stories seems to be "we ignored explicit instructions regarding our grandchildren because we think we know better and now their parents are mad at us for some reason???"

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i'd like to know what she said in that room while her family cried on christmas lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone got permabanned for abusing their kids

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884274&pagenumber=62&perpage=40#post497756584

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Jesus loving Christ, started admitting to beating the poo poo out of his kids in May and nobody looped in the mods until the last month, so now it's evidence.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mods knew

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

For people who don't venture outside of GBS, Bobbie Wickham was just demodded for literally encouraging and defending this actual abusive parent in E/N which makes this miserable cesspit of a thread being her personal project that much more ghoulish. Think long and hard if it really is the best use of your time and emotional labor to continuously inflict emotional self-harm on yourself and others under the watchful gaze of a woman who literally enabled child abuse on this very forum.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
no mods no kings.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Sleeveless posted:

For people who don't venture outside of GBS, Bobbie Wickham was just demodded for literally encouraging and defending this actual abusive parent in E/N which makes this miserable cesspit of a thread being her personal project that much more ghoulish. Think long and hard if it really is the best use of your time and emotional labor to continuously inflict emotional self-harm on yourself and others under the watchful gaze of a woman who literally enabled child abuse on this very forum.

Oh shut the gently caress up, Sleeveless.

Have you just been lurking this thread waiting for another troll hook like the sad drama vampire you are?

I don't agree with her approach, and I agree with her being de-modded, if she let that poo poo stand, but I don't think she's a malicious actor. You, on the other hand, come into a thread full of abuse survivors to intentionally stir poo poo up. So just gently caress off.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Sleeveless posted:

For people who don't venture outside of GBS...

You ought to respect that. Don't import drama.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Parents threatening legal action against my doctor, do they even have a case?
(self.legaladvice)

quote:

Edit: USA

Short and sweet post here.

25M here got a vasectomy from a urologist on my parents insurance.

They're telling me now that they want to try and sue the doctor for performing the operation on someone so young.

I just don't see how they could possibly have a case against him or me. Everything was obviously consented to and signed for, is there anything I'd have to worry about? I don't want this doctor to have a problem on my account.

quote:

Okay update here: they want to question the medical board on his right to practice or whatever. Would that even matter? I'll defend the doctor if I have to but I feel like no matter what course they take they're gonna get laughed out of the room.

quote:

Hahah my dad asked me if I was part of some community of people encouraging me to do this and patting me on the back.

They act like it's some kind of cult.

Estranged parents in the making.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

xpost from the r/relationships thread

teen witch posted:

Doublepost but oh, it’s worth it

quote:

AITA for refusing to keep paying my daughters expensive guitar lessons even tho I "forced her" to take them 10 years ago
u/[deleted]
My daughter is 20 now. When she was 10 she spent almost all her time on her Nintendo or Gameboy. So I signed her up for a bunch of after-school activities, guitar being one of them. The only thing she stuck with was guitar and she got into flamenco. She loves Paco de Lucya and wants to be like him. Problem being that those lessons are extremely expensive(10-30$ class) and don't let her concentrate completley on uni. She is a full time student. We don't pay for college because she got a full ride. She still wants us to pay for those lessons because the money she earns goes into groceries and bills and her major is too demanding to get a full time job. (Biology-microbiology). I flat out told her no and that if she wanted to continue to either look it up on YouTube or get a job to pay for her lessons.

Her dad is extremely mad at me and says that I am a hypocrite because I forced her to go in first place knowing that this could become a full time thing for our daughter. My logic is that she is an adult thus I shouldn't have to pay for her free time. AITA?

But wait there’s more as the daughter responded

quote:

This is not even the fully story. My mother is full of poo poo. I don't want her to pay for my clases I asked her if it was possible if she could help me pay for this clases. She didn't pay my clases for 10 years. She put me in the youth center to learn. And from there I have grown myself.

quote:

I am a guitar teacher but sadly the guy who would be my teacher doesn't do that. He is an old Spanish dude that relies in his students to pay him actual money. He allready offered me a pretty sweet deal

and in another thread in r/insaneparents

quote:

Context : My mother is a very cold woman. She never showed me much affection but always had many demands for me. She was the one pressuring me to obtain a full ride scholarship so she didn't have to pay a thing. When I would get a bad grade she would take food from me as a punishment. For speaking back at her she would take away one bed item per "rude thing" I said till I slept on a naked mattress. Even in winter. When I was 13 my dad divorced my mother and paid child support wich she would use for her own down time and would only pay for my necessities. She didn't even pay for my loving guitar lessons! Those were for free at the youth center. When I was 15 I got fed up and moved with my dad and that's when she had to pay child support to him. That's where her resentment for me comes from. I went NC for 3 years till she talked to me and apologized. We talked like once a week and then she asked me if she had to pay for schooling to wich I said "no I got a full ride". She was happy as could be and then I did something stupid, I asked her if she could maybe help me pay for some guitar lessons. She flipped her poo poo and left the restaurant we where at. I had to pay the bill. She send me an email with copied NTA responses of this thread with the email title of "you should be grateful for what I have done. You are now a brat to the internet"

Edit : by never financially support me I mean that she did the first year in payments and has never since done them

Yeah is there a smilie that’s stronger than :murder: ?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Panfilo posted:

I doubt narcissists would ever stoop to be held by the same standards they expect from their children.

I can promise you from experience that hypocrisy is their favourite game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Clitch posted:

I don't agree with her approach, and I agree with her being de-modded, if she let that poo poo stand, but I don't think she's a malicious actor.

I don't venture into E/N very often (because it's bad), but on the occasions I did, it seemed I would constantly notice these bizarre, weirdly aggressive poo poo posts in various threads, then be surprised to see a Mod Star next to them. Almost invariably this was Bobbie Wickham.

They were a poo poo mod for a long time. Maybe not malicious, but so aggressively incompetent and self-sure that there was little functional difference.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Picnic Princess posted:

I can promise you from experience that hypocrisy is their favourite game.

lovely boomer parents are living examples of the old trope where those in control see respect as being treated as an authority. When respect is more about being treated fairly and equitably on both sides, which they then choose to perceive as a threat and/or insult to said authority.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

alphabettitouretti posted:

xpost from the r/relationships thread

But wait there’s more as the daughter responded

and in another thread in r/insaneparents

Yeah is there a smilie that’s stronger than :murder: ?
[/quote]
Ten to thirty dollars a lesson! Exorbitant! What a terrible child! (I hurt myself writing that.)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think it’s ten $30 lessons which is nothing considering the daughter got a full-ride etc.

I’m glad the daughter appears to have the knowledge, support, and whatnot to deal with her lovely mom.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

jesus h christ

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

trickybiscuits posted:

Ten to thirty dollars a lesson! Exorbitant! What a terrible child! (I hurt myself writing that.)

It's fairly telling how so many parent's attitude towards their kid(s) is meeting a threshold where they can just cut them off financially and go pat themselves on the back for a job well done, regardless of anything else.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
"You're the reason we don't have any friends"

My father told me that when I was nine years old. And yet somehow, even though I haven't lived with them for thirteen years and have been no contact for seven, they still don't have any friends.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I got into a fight with my mom when I was a teenager when she forbid me from seeing my now husband to "keep me safe". To make me feel guilty for wanting to spend time with him, she screamed at me that she lost her virginity to her brother when she was 13. I have no idea what the gently caress that had to do with it.

She's been holding a grudge against me the last few years because I refuse to go with her to visit him since he has a terminal cancer. I'll never be sorry for not maintaining relationships with child rapists just because they're family. I'm pretty sure he did things to me too when I was little but they gaslit me over that saying he prefers teenagers. :barf::barf::barf:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

If that's the poo poo he feels comfortable posting on the internet, I'm afraid to consider how bad it really gets.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

I got into a fight with my mom when I was a teenager when she forbid me from seeing my now husband to "keep me safe". To make me feel guilty for wanting to spend time with him, she screamed at me that she lost her virginity to her brother when she was 13. I have no idea what the gently caress that had to do with it.

She's been holding a grudge against me the last few years because I refuse to go with her to visit him since he has a terminal cancer. I'll never be sorry for not maintaining relationships with child rapists just because they're family. I'm pretty sure he did things to me too when I was little but they gaslit me over that saying he prefers teenagers. :barf::barf::barf:

"No, sweetie, he's an ephebophile, not a pedophile." That's a defense? What a piece of poo poo.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

It's fairly telling how so many parent's attitude towards their kid(s) is meeting a threshold where they can just cut them off financially and go pat themselves on the back for a job well done, regardless of anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTpl93q3Bc

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Panfilo posted:

International adoption has far less oversight than adopting from the state. You just give them a bucket of money and they give you a baby, it's the whole reason they go that route.

dont forget you have to give them a bucket of straight money. most countries wont adopt to you if youre gay. a lot of lbgt people use a beard to adopt especially from asia.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Elton John wasn't able to adopt a baby from Ukraine, and he's Elton John.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Jollity Farm posted:

Elton John wasn't able to adopt a baby from Ukraine, and he's Elton John.

Could've had something to do with him being Elton John.