Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
apropos of not much: I'm in absolute awe of how making ammo regenerating but health strongly finite solves every single thing I hate about 3rd person cover gameplay in a single inversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Willie Tomg posted:

apropos of not much: I'm in absolute awe of how making ammo regenerating but health strongly finite solves every single thing I hate about 3rd person cover gameplay in a single inversion.

I really like how you've actually got two relatively shallow but quickly regenerating 'ammo pools' between the service weapon and energy. Swapping between shooting and being a Jedi is consistently amazing.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

On a vaguely-related note, I love that in this game, you genuinely don't know which notes are foreshadowing and which ones are just 'here's some crazy poo poo that exists in the world' (still wanna know what happened to the shark). The fact that even incidental details like the posters and pinboards are rewarding to read makes this a great game to just take your time with. I haven't been this invested in finding collectables since System Shock 2.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm very interested in this game. Seeing it being called some sort of mish mash of a metrovania, psy ops, SCP fan fic wrote by actually good writers and just being generally crazy. I hear the game has some bad optimization. Ps4 players having a really lovely time and what not.

My question is: Hows the P.C version looking? Got a 1070, CPU Fx9590, 16gb DDR3 ramz. Think I'm in the clear with these specs?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm very interested in this game. Seeing it being called some sort of mish mash of a metrovania, psy ops, SCP fan fic wrote by actually good writers and just being generally crazy. I hear the game has some bad optimization. Ps4 players having a really lovely time and what not.

My question is: Hows the P.C version looking? Got a 1070, CPU Fx9590, 16gb DDR3 ramz. Think I'm in the clear with these specs?

My PC specs are similar (including the 1070) and it runs pretty well for me on highish settings. Turning on any of the raytracing options makes my graphics card flip out until the game crashes though. The biggest resource hog outside of that seems to be volumetric lighting. It gets a little choppy if you start moving the camera around at speed (probably because the game is drawing a million physics objects) but otherwise looks and runs well. I've been considering swapping to controller just for smoother camera movement so I upset the graphics less.

Apparently (celebrity guest appearance) Kojima is in this game

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Good to hear. You getting a stable 30-60fps? Or is it just all over the place with the amount of poo poo you can blow up and interact with during a combat sequence?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
Aside from that chop I mentioned it's pretty stable, it would probably perform better if I turned even more settings down but the game looks so dang cool I'm willing to put up with lower performance. It helps that the gameplay doesn't really suffer for it, none of the timing or aiming I've done so far has needed to be super precise. Granted, I'm only like 4 hours in so that could change.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Coolio. I'll be sure to pick it up sometime this month. Cuz I'm a cheap bastard.

( I can't stop buying beer)

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Finally now I can ask my question without it being drowned by arguing goons.

Blackfyre posted:

How are people finding control? QB not withstanding I've always enjoyed Rememdy's games and am tempted but put off by the fact its expensive for a pc game here kinda and its epic only? I'm not really a big I hate the EGS guy I kinda don't care but I like all my games to be in one place so would prefer steam.... so is it worth grabbing knowing I may well double dip when it hits steam assuming it will eventually hit steam sales?

Going to have this issue with Outer Worlds if its good too. I mean I could wait a year.

EDIT: Also what are the best deals going for it? Anywhere got any offers going as for a single player only 10 hour PC game its priced pretty high here.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Good to hear. You getting a stable 30-60fps? Or is it just all over the place with the amount of poo poo you can blow up and interact with during a combat sequence?

I'm getting a buttery smooth 60 with mostly Medium settings (some high) on a gtx 970

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The base consoles appear to be struggling a bit :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niQfeglwDZ4&t=1062s

They captured an extended sequence where the base PS4 was bouncing between 10 and 20fps :stonk:

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Is it just me or is the aiming in this game kinda jittery and imprecise? Maybe I'm just bad but it feels much more difficult to click heads than in any other shooter I've played.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I've noticed some occasionally weird things with sight offset relative to the actual aimpoint at close ranges, if that's what you're referring to

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I wish you had some kind of movement ability like Max had diving. You get a meh dodge.

Apart from that it's good but the enemies are letting it down. They are your standard archetypes with most just being plain dudes.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Kill All Humans posted:

Is it just me or is the aiming in this game kinda jittery and imprecise? Maybe I'm just bad but it feels much more difficult to click heads than in any other shooter I've played.

It feels like maybe there's no or very little aim assist? I'm a terrible shot though in every game.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Blackfyre posted:

Finally now I can ask my question without it being drowned by arguing goons.

[is the game good?]

I'm having a pretty good time with it, it's definitely up there for what I've played that came out this year. Its strengths are definitely in its setting (whether that's the very strong collectible writing or top-tier environmental storytelling and attention to detail), but the combat isn't too much of a slouch either. Feels pretty drat good to chuck every possible object and witness the Hiss explosions or environmental destruction associated with it. This game has particles out the wazoo.

There are some finnicky aspects to it, like rather undercooked animations and a terrible map for the amount of backtracking you do, but if setting and presentation are your thing, it's a good bet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

Game would be a lot more enjoyable if the main characters voice didn't sound like a 21 yr old. She looks to be much older?

The character is modeled after the voice actor so that's just what she looks and sounds like.

repiv posted:

The base consoles appear to be struggling a bit :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niQfeglwDZ4&t=1062s

They captured an extended sequence where the base PS4 was bouncing between 10 and 20fps :stonk:

Even on the PS4 Pro I had some slowdown. It was real bad when I returned to the NSC main room and there were a bunch of exploding Hiss which caused a bunch of physics to happen and killed the framerate.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Game just keeps crashing on me, can play for about 10 minutes and then get a message that says "game_rmdwin7_f.exe is not responding" and a crash. Apparently on the forums people have fixed it by deleting render.ini in the game folder but it seems to just make another one for me, someone else said closing down some audio software thing fixed it but I'm not running that at all. In fact trying to fix it has reduced the amount of time I can spend in the game from 10 minutes to about 3, so that's good.

I work in QA so spending time trying to fix this poo poo is like working and not getting paid for it, seems like it's relatively common so hopefully there's a patch or solution that works for me soon. I've very much enjoyed the 35ish minutes I have played.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
^^^ running on an nvidia card? ^^^

Seems like a lot of people are sleeping on this game. Hopefully it picks up steam.

I was planning on picking it up, but I'm running an older GPU and this game is probably going to entice me to finally upgrade. Has anyone in this thread had any issues running it on either nvidia or amd? I heard nvidia had driver issues on release that were causing crashes, but that's all I know.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Willie Tomg posted:

I'm getting a buttery smooth 60 with mostly Medium settings (some high) on a gtx 970

That's surprising. Same thing I have now, and I figured the game would die on a 970 at anything but low. It's just such a little workhorse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

User0015 posted:

That's surprising. Same thing I have now, and I figured the game would die on a 970 at anything but low. It's just such a little workhorse.

PC performance is actually quite good across the board, it's just the ray-tracing effects that will grind your system to a halt.

If you don't want RTX though I recommend running the game in DX11 since the performance is noticeably better, somehow.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

User0015 posted:

^^^ running on an nvidia card? ^^^

Seems like a lot of people are sleeping on this game. Hopefully it picks up steam.

I was planning on picking it up, but I'm running an older GPU and this game is probably going to entice me to finally upgrade. Has anyone in this thread had any issues running it on either nvidia or amd? I heard nvidia had driver issues on release that were causing crashes, but that's all I know.

Yeah, a Geforce 1060. Is this a common issue that I've managed to miss? It runs really well on high during the few early gunfights I've had, the crashes just seem to happen at random. First was during the cutscene with the janitor near the start, then getting the gun and now it's just happening all over when it saves after I pick nearly anything up. Basically given up now cause trying to sort it just feels like wasting time.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah, a Geforce 1060. Is this a common issue that I've managed to miss? It runs really well on high during the few early gunfights I've had, the crashes just seem to happen at random. First was during the cutscene with the janitor near the start, then getting the gun and now it's just happening all over when it saves after I pick nearly anything up. Basically given up now cause trying to sort it just feels like wasting time.

I have a 1060 and haven't had any crashes in the ~4-5 hours I've played of this game. Apart from updating geforce drivers, I haven't done anything weird or special to make it work.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm on a 980 and was playing on low all so far, and no crashes. Turning up everything to medium now and it seeeemms fine. Without the latest driver update, even low was slow.
I've only got 8GB ram and an old CPU though so I'm sure those are my bottlenecks.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

There are quite a few secrets in this game and it’s great. Read the developer’s replies in this thread, cute.

https://www.reddit.com/r/controlgame/comments/cw7bk2/spoiler_unlimted_ammo_with_grip_mod/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

I’ve been chasing that and will get it once I get levitate (where is that?). Is it the hypnosis lab? I have a mission for that place but can’t seem to even find it.

I also have been stacking crates up to access areas I am sure I’m not supposed to yet and it works a lot of time. Use the force to pull a crate or barrel towards you, get it into position, then press Y on controller to cancel it. It drops. You can stack stuff. She is quite a nimble climber and dodge jumping can get you far.

Also, break windows. There are one or two lvl 5 access places in maintenance (one I had to climb to) that you can blast through the window to get in.

The Alan wake stuff: there are documents that explain that his book is an OOP and what he writes becomes what is for his dimensional existence. That’s why at the end of the game he’s trapped in that place trying to write himself out. His wife is still alive according to documents. There’s been some articles posted on reddit about FBC sending agents out there that figured it all out. I, personally, never played it because I missed it and it’s just too old now to enjoy but it’s cool that it all ties in.

I also stacked up a ton of crates and dodge jumped into a ventilation hole in the wall and chased down a rubber ducky. I have no idea what that did.

This game is just loving great and it’s such a breath of fresh air after a very long drought of no good single player games.

Also FYI. Do not get lost in the ashtray maze until after mission 8 lol.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

redreader posted:

I'm on a 980 and was playing on low all so far, and no crashes. Turning up everything to medium now and it seeeemms fine. Without the latest driver update, even low was slow.
I've only got 8GB ram and an old CPU though so I'm sure those are my bottlenecks.

Yeah this is the most CPU and RAM throttled game I've played in a long while. On a given map you can count the assets that are not physics objects on two hands with spare fingers, its nuts.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I hate that this is on the epic store because I dont have a good way to keep interesting games on my radar other than the steam wishlist

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Carecat posted:

I wish you had some kind of movement ability like Max had diving. You get a meh dodge.

Eh, Levitate + Smash makes up for it.

Holy poo poo, the Ashtray Maze. That was fun. :rock:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Rasputin posted:

I missed it and it’s just too old now to enjoy but it’s cool that it all ties in.

It's really not, it holds up quite well on PC. if you are a remedy or Twin Peaks fan it's a must play, but otherwise you can probably go without.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

muscles like this! posted:

The character is modeled after the voice actor so that's just what she looks and sounds like.

Really? well now I feel like a shithead.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kill All Humans posted:

On PC, there are aim assist settings for controller and mouse. On by default for controller. Off by default for mouse.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
This game is super cool, or rather, it would be if I could play it for more than a few minutes without crashing (same "game_rmdwin7_f.exe is not responding" message as thebardyspoon). I'm on an RTX 2060, and I've updated the drivers to the newest ones but it hasn't helped. I don't believe this is the cause, but one problem for is I'm on Windows 8.1, which is technically unsupported by the card for some reason. (It works fine for everything else, and the consensus is that the card works fine except that the raytracing features are obviously not going to work since I can't use DX12, and to use the Win7 driver package. In fact, the nVidia installer names its directory with Windows versions including 8.) According to eventvwr the faulting module is nvwgf2umx.dll, which I assume is an nVidia driver, and Googling appears to confirm that. I don't actually believe the card or the driver are at fault; I'm hoping for a patch to the game to address the issue.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Control - Secure. Contain. Projectile

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Aaaaand done. Overall a fun and super weird ride, despite the lack of variation in a lot of the underlying game mechanics. I guess it's hard to write a good and fully satisfying ending for a game with a premise like this. I assume there have been DLCs announced already?

I only have 3 quests left open (not really spoilers, but anyhow Flamingo, Anchor and Mold Boss - and I did not enjoy the "big" boss fights at all), I was kind of hoping for a New Game+.

The skills and weapons were fun to use (some more, others less), even though both types of mods felt kind of inconsequential most of the time. Sure, you could hotswap them, but it never felt needed and it seems like there were no "builds" you would feel worth pursuing. They kinda just were ... "there". Maxed skills on the other hand ... throwing, shooting, flying and smashing felt really powerful and fun.
Hardly ever used Melee, Shield and Seize though.

Ending question: After the fakeout credits, my screen went black for 30 seconds while office ambient sound played, then when it came back, I was just a pair of floating headphones in the executive office, unable to move. Only after hitting escape the scene switched and I popped back in as office worker Jesse in front of the pinboard. I know the game did some weird poo poo, but that was not supposed to happen, right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

Really? well now I feel like a shithead.

They had to do it for Quantum Break what with the live action sections and I guess they just liked the tech since they used it in this too. Basically all the major characters look like their actors.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Melee is fantastic and you should be using it in every room just to blow stuff up without using any energy. Take that, filing cabinet!

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

mcbexx posted:

both types of mods felt kind of inconsequential most of the time. Sure, you could hotswap them, but it never felt needed and it seems like there were no "builds" you would feel worth pursuing. They kinda just were ... "there".

I’m guessing you didn’t find any of the secret mods then? The Furnace Hungers!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Stroth posted:

I’m guessing you didn’t find any of the secret mods then? The Furnace Hungers!

That's super random though - I doubt that more than 5% of the player base will get that, even with guides

I read about it just after I tossed one of the TVs all across the giant NCS dome while fooling around post credits. I don't think I will ever find that again.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

There’s a similar mod easily accesible at the very start of black rock. After you get across the bridge. First room you can go upstairs to a gangway and dodge jump across and in the little pipe room crawl space there’s a box with a 15% ammo return on hit. Not chance to return, but pure return. Put that on the spinner and yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So, what exactly is up with that supposed "metroidvania format," then? How much of it is there and how good did they make it?