Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they think kids have the attention span of cockroaches. its literal jangling keys. even stuff like 80s-90s disney films almost always have some character whose job is to constantly ramble from offscreen so they can add voice lines without having to animate anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I found the dub amusing in an flashback to my 80's TV anime dub watching experience and more proof that streaming is following the path of TV in ways most people don't know. But as actual product in the 2010's? Yeah it's not impressive

Anyway finally figured out what the water world was reminding me off thanks to the crabs this episode. This planet totally is a world in a Monster World game

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Smile, I just recently learned that Cure March was voiced by Yoko Littner from Gurren Lagann (Simon also makes a cameo later as that transfer student Akane developed a crush on). Nao’s English actress also played Tenten in Naruto and Naru in Sailor Moon Crystal/the Viz redub of the 90’s series.

The Futari Wa dub was at least a bit better by comparison (mostly because it was more or less unaltered aside from westernizing a few character names) but for whatever reason it never made it out of Canada.

Anyway, Star Twinkle 28: This week on Splatoon, Yuni has to suppress her instincts so she doesn't eat the populace of the planet where they're getting the rocket repaired. It was a nice breather episode, and it even ended with Prunce getting a crab girlfriend (Yunyun likes him, and he likes her). It's not even the strangest pairing Precure's ever had.

After several detours, a new Cure joining the team and being away from Earth for a while it's just about time to meet Lala's family and visit her home planet. Which looks like Earth with a different aesthetic.

Speaking of Lala's family:

Starting from the left we have Kaka (her mom), Toto (her dad), and Lolo (her older brother).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 18, 2019

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Stupid take: The fact they didn't make the Futari wa dub names Max and Heather is the worst thing in the universe and the only reason I refuse to watch that dub.

Glitter Force isn't that bad, it definitely appealed to the kid in me that still loves DiC Sailor Moon unironically, but I really really wish we had a real attempt to localize it here. I feel like TV networks are terrified of girly junk.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

That said, I actually wouldn’t mind seeing another attempt to bring Precure to the west one day but I’m not sure if Hasbro has any experience dubbing anime and you’d really have to market the hell out of it in order to make it work.

They translated the Armada Trilogy (albeit whilst using a rough-cut with Armada so it looked super janky) and have largely coordinated efforts between the us/jp for Transformers in recent years so if any company is in the position to make it work it’s probably Hasbro.

Hell, you can argue that they have experience of the two pronged demographic of Precure with MLP but that’s probably a cam of worms so maybe the less said on that the better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

Stupid take: The fact they didn't make the Futari wa dub names Max and Heather is the worst thing in the universe and the only reason I refuse to watch that dub.

I don’t think I get the joke here, unless you’re making a reference to Max Heart which was never dubbed (and the actual names Natalie and Hannah are sort of close to the originals).

Despite that (and not translating any of the Japanese text on signs and such which can lead to a few awkward moments), it’s more or less a faithful adaptation and the voice acting is decent. If they ever tried bringing Precure to the west again I’d honestly prefer they go this route as opposed to another Glitter Force season.

Why did that particular dub never get brought over to the US anyway? I know 4Kids had the license at one point but they never wound up doing anything with it (which is probably for the best honestly). And hell, if Hasbro doesn’t want to do it why not just give it back to Ocean Group who handled the Futari adaption.

While it’s probably too late for it to become the next Sailor Moon or Madoka Magica, it would be nice if this series got a bit more attention in the west. At the very least they could try an official subbed DVD release (maybe start with Smile or DokiDoki to gauge interest and then go from there) or just put more seasons up on Crunchyroll besides the original.

I think it’s possible to make the show work here, you’d just have to market the hell out of it in order to make people notice it. Did Glitter Force even get a DVD release?

In fact, I think I actually like Precure better than Sailor Moon in some aspects. Mainly because they actually feel more like a proper team and people besides the "leader" (which I would argue that Futari Wa and Splash Star don't really have) usually get some more time in the spotlight (hell, Lala is practically the main character of Star Twinkle so far). In Sailor Moon however, unless your name is Usagi, Chibiusa, or to a lesser extent Mamoru then don't expect a whole lot of screen time (though the 90's anime and especially PGSM were much better about this than the manga/Crystal was to be fair).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 18, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Toei is aware of Precure's Western fanbase if the fact that their English Twitter account tweets about it sometimes is any indication (the irony being sometimes they'll tweet about seasons that aren't legally available here, like Hugtto). Their English language web page also has a pretty expansive Precure page complete with every single one of the season logos redone in English. I suppose it's just not a huge priority for them right now. Glitter Force seems to be in licensing limbo (I think Hasbro has it right now? I might be wrong) and they know it's a niche series so they're probably not putting a lot of effort into it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Toei is aware of Precure's Western fanbase if the fact that their English Twitter account tweets about it sometimes is any indication (the irony being sometimes they'll tweet about seasons that aren't legally available here, like Hugtto). Their English language web page also has a pretty expansive Precure page complete with every single one of the season logos redone in English. I suppose it's just not a huge priority for them right now. Glitter Force seems to be in licensing limbo (I think Hasbro has it right now? I might be wrong) and they know it's a niche series so they're probably not putting a lot of effort into it.

Hasbro currently owns the rights to it but I’m not sure if that just means they have the merchandising rights to the previous two shows or if they could actually make a new series if they so chose.

Like I said, Saban’s version is not entirely without its good qualities but I’d prefer that if they attempted to bring Precure to the west for a third (well, fourth technically) time it was a bit better handled.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I was curious about something, I occasionally visit the Precure wiki and it’s forum looking for news updates (unless anybody is aware of a better source) and for some strange reason some people there seem to be under the impression that TVAshai will be shutting down next year. However, I have not found anything about this online and it generally doesn’t make sense for a number of reasons.

Anybody have any idea where this particular rumor came from?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I honestly don't trust anything Precure Wiki says. Sounds like something someone made up for fun, that place is weird.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

I honestly don't trust anything Precure Wiki says. Sounds like something someone made up for fun, that place is weird.

That’s about what I thought, just curious if it came from somewhere in particular.

Still waiting on Overtime’s version but episode 28 has been subbed by Anon. Elena and Madoka actually get some significant development in this one (and basically wind up soloing Kappard).

Looking forward to meeting Lala’s family next episode as she’s the only Cure left unaccounted for in that regard. Based on the title Android 18 the ship’s AI is apparently going to be the focus of episode 30 so that could potentially be interesting as well.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Can't wait for Ship's AI to go all Hal 9000 like Moebius

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Can't wait for Ship's AI to go all Hal 9000 like Moebius

The episode in question is called “Lala’s Thoughts and the AI’s Feelings” so make of that what you will.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Overtime’s version of Star Twinkle 28 is out now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So some new episode titles have been released:

31: "Protect It! The Final Princess Pen☆"
32: "Overlapping Emotions☆ Our New Power of Imagination"

Barring some kind of major catastrophe it appears the team's primary journey may be coming to an end soon (likely resulting in a new finishing move involving all 5 of them), which sort of makes me curious what they've got planned for the remaining 16+ episodes then.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Looking forward to Lala going SSJ 3 (Super Saman-jin).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

Looking forward to Lala going SSJ 3 (Super Saman-jin).

Or having some trouble on the toilet by the looks of things (though in all seriousness I’m assuming she’s powering up with one of the Star Pens).

Seriously though, she did seem kind of hesitant about coming back to her home planet so I am kind of curious what her family situation is (they look nice enough anyway so it could be something as simple as she’s embarrassed by them).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 23, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thought something was up when I saw the Twins post Lum fan art but this tweet confirms it

https://twitter.com/y_akari/status/1165405399048060928

Toei got Fumi Hirano to voice Lala's mom (lum's seiyuu)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Thought something was up when I saw the Twins post Lum fan art but this tweet confirms it

https://twitter.com/y_akari/status/1165405399048060928

Toei got Fumi Hirano to voice Lala's mom (lum's seiyuu)

And her dad is voiced by Toshihiko Seki (Momotaros in Kamen Rider Den-O).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, Star Twinkle 29: This week on Futurama, the Cures visit a planet that wouldn't be out of place in Galaxy Express 999. The planet is apparently run by an AI who decides everything and everyone just goes along with it. This is why Lala wasn't happy to return home - the Mother AI on the planet said that she didn't have as much potential as the rest of her family, leading to a massive inferiority complex. No wonder Madoka confides in her.

And the story isn't even wrapped up this week, with Aiwan also being on Saman, and seemingly setting up the Cures to be tried in AI court. Hearing Momotaros was fun, but the episode had a melancholy tone that Precure doesn't strike very often. What is it with electricity powers and an undercurrent (pun not intended) of sadness?

In 999, this is the sort of planet Maetel would either liberate or let explode. I'm hoping for the former here.

Also it appears I was wrong, the AI mentioned in Episode 30’s title is apparently not the one belonging to Lala’s ship as originally assumed.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 25, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

AI HAS NEVER GONE WRONG IN PRECURE BEFORE

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

AI HAS NEVER GONE WRONG IN PRECURE BEFORE

I’ll admit, Moebius 2.0 (minus the oppression and information control, though apparently this one can be manipulated somewhat) was not what I was expecting from this trip but sure, sounds interesting enough. It’s not quite the same of course but it’s close.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 25, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I imagine Aiwan is still with the Notraiders in the op because simply redrawing her there is easier than throwing off the whole order of the OP so they can show her by herself.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I imagine Aiwan is still with the Notraiders in the op because simply redrawing her there is easier than throwing off the whole order of the OP so they can show her by herself.

Well, she is sporting her new cloak in the most recent episode (which has been subbed by Anon at least) and Tenjou is on the same planet as well currently so they’re bound to run into each other eventually.

But that said it might be interesting if she remained a lone agent and we then had two different enemies active at the same time.

Speaking of said episode, why is it that, right after seeing the video of Tenjou, the supervisor immediately turned around and blamed Lala for the theft of the Princess Pen?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 25, 2019

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of said episode, why is it that, right after seeing the video of Tenjou, the supervisor immediately turned around and blamed Lala for the theft of the Princess Pen?

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. I guess after the wreckage cleared, the first person they saw was Lala, who has been mysteriously AWOL, shown up with passengers from a planet they're not allowed to talk about, and also holding a star pen after a huge attack by hostile foreign powers. Makes sense they'd be a little suspicious at the very least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. I guess after the wreckage cleared, the first person they saw was Lala, who has been mysteriously AWOL, shown up with passengers from a planet they're not allowed to talk about, and also holding a star pen after a huge attack by hostile foreign powers. Makes sense they'd be a little suspicious at the very least.

Yeah that makes sense, and technically Lala did break the law by getting earthlings involved in the first place (as well as a notorious space thief but fortunately for them nobody seems to recognize Yuni as Blue Cat).

That said, I have a feeling that the fact that the Samans trust AIs more than their own people is probably going to come back to bite them sooner or later. Like I said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Tenjou and Aiwan wind up bumping into each other next episode either (though whether the latter will actually rejoin the NotRaiders after they essentially threw her out on her rear end remains to be seen).

According to the episode titles the final Pen will appear in episode 31 (with the following episode likely introducing a new finisher involving all 5 Cures), which sort of makes me wonder what they’ve got planned for the remaining 16+ episodes.

My guess is we’ll finally begin to explore deeper into just who or what Darknest actually is (his voice is distorted and his actor still remains uncredited at this point). Early toy scans also showed a red ink bottle in addition to the main 5, but it’s still unclear whether or not that means there will be a sixth Cure at some point (if there is I’m personally hoping for Sakurako).

It would also be nice if Galogre actually did something besides stand around on the base and bark orders.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 26, 2019

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

The red bottle might be related to their 5 Cure attack instead of a new Cure? It feels pretty late in the game for an out of nowhere 6th ranger, and the only character that's had enough focus to avoid another Aguri situation is like... Aiwan? Which I kinda want now that I've said it, that'd be amazing. Sakurako would be fun too, but I feel like she hasn't had enough focus yet.

They might just pull an OOO's and have them lose all the star pens due to some evil plot or something near the end, and resolving character arcs by revisiting those plots with a second star pen adventure as a callback. That's all I can really think of off the top of my head for where they'd go from there, but that would feel pretty repetitive. We did just get to Saman though, and it seems to be Precure Star Fleet so maybe we can have some more insight into Earth's place in the world. The director, stuff about Hikaru's dad being a secret alien or something (I don't remember if we disproved that). Maybe when the AI does a bad and helps the villains on accident or whatever, Earth will be the front runners to teach Saman about cool stuff like basic math and ~imagination~.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, Cure Muse didn’t properly show up until episode 36 of Suite (though she was technically around for a while beforehand) so there is some precedent at least. But yeah, it’s more likely going to be a powerup of some kind.

Also I can’t really see Aiwan becoming a Cure (she hasn’t done anything yet to really warrant a redemption arc for one thing) but it might be fun to see her and Yuni be forced to team up again or something. A third alien Cure would give us a nice even split between the team though.

As for Hikaru’s dad, the alien thing could still be possible but after actually meeting the man a little while back he basically just seems to be a male version of his daughter (if not even more excitable).

I’d personally rather they didn’t reset the clock in regards to the Star Pens (that was bad enough when Smile did it twice and it seems a bit late in the game to pull something like that anyway) but there are probably ways you could pull it off.

I am almost positive this team is getting their identities revealed by the end of the series though, there just seems to be too many factors at play for all this to stay a secret for long.

As for Darknest, my current theory is that he’s either an AI (which would explain his distorted voice and LED eyes) or he has something to do with Madoka’s father (he seems to have a rather dim view of the world and as a government agent he’d probably have access to the technology necessary to pull this off). I don’t think it’s been established exactly how long Darknest (and by association the NotRaiders) has been around after all.

Even if he isn’t I wouldn’t be surprised if we see some sort of confrontation between Madoka and her dad before the end of the series.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 26, 2019

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

God yeah, I hope they don't lose the star pens. I kinda hope the princesses actually get to do something. And ditto on Madoka's dad, I'm really hype for the payoff on that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, this series actually has a lot of really intriguing plot threads it’s been setting up. Hopefully they’ll be able to resolve them in a satisfying manner. This is shaping up to be one of my favorite seasons so far (though Elena and to a lesser extent Hikaru desperately need character development) and I’d hate to see it suddenly trip at the finish line.

And yes, I’ve been saying from the beginning that I hope the princesses get a chance to be actual characters rather than just being stuck in their respective palaces all season (why would they give some of them distinctive personalities otherwise) but we’ll see.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 26, 2019

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Star Twinkle rules, for sure. I dunno if I like it more than Hugtto, but those two are definitely the best seasons in a loooong time for me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

My only real issues with Hugtto were the whole Hana/George Kurai thing (I understand what they were trying to go for but in practice he just comes off as a creepy pedophile) and while they were decent I feel the in-series crossovers would have been better served if they either were the focus of the entire season or were just excised entirely aside from the movies.

That said, the big one in episode 36-37 was fun and featured cameos by nearly everybody (the Kiryuu sisters even briefly show up wearing their “Cure Bright” and “Cure Windy” outfits which hadn’t been seen since the end of Splash Star). Though strangely the fight with Dr. Traum in those episodes wound up getting arguably more gravitas than the show’s actual final battle.

Despite that, I agree that Hugtto was a great show with some surprisingly progressive writing (particularly in regards to characters like Henri). Hopefully Toei can keep this momentum going through the rest of Star Twinkle and on into Season 17.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
If there's a sixth cure it will undoubtedly be Fuwa.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caithness posted:

If there's a sixth cure it will undoubtedly be Fuwa.

Yeah, I could see them possibly pulling a Royal Candy type situation as well (she did apparently get a human form in a recent stage show after all). Come to think of it, Pekorin also became a Cure (of sorts) very late into KiraKira as well.

Back onto Star Twinkle, while I'm sure they'll eventually get redeemed somehow (or at least try to kiss up to the Precure after they inevitably save their ungrateful asses) I have to say that the people of Planet Saman haven't left the best first impression on me.

They seem to treat Lala like a second class citizen just because some AI said she didn't have much potential (even her own family is guilty of this, which explains her reluctance to come back) and in general seem to trust AI more than their own people, which like I said is probably going to come back to bite them real soon (in fact based on the preview it looks like Aiwan will be taking control over it next episode).

Honestly Lala would probably be better off just moving to Earth permanently (you know, where people actually respect her). I’m actually sort of curious to know how Lala was selected for the mission to gather the Princess Pens in the first place when on her home planet she was basically a sanitation worker.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 26, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Lala is going to add two two digit numbers together and blow everyones' minds.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
From the way everyone was asking "where have you been?" I assumed Lala had set off on her own, rather than being assigned to search for the princess pens.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caithness posted:

From the way everyone was asking "where have you been?" I assumed Lala had set off on her own, rather than being assigned to search for the princess pens.

I assumed she’d specifically been assigned the mission based on the first few episodes but yeah, it’d make more sense if Fuwa and Prunce found her first and she just left with them without telling anyone. However, if I’m remembering right her brother specifically contacted her and told her a new Pen had been found (which would imply that he was at least somewhat aware of her mission) but who knows.

It’s probably going to get revealed to her family/people next episode that Lala is a Precure and they’ll learn that AI aren’t always right about everything but then again most of the Cures in this series have some kind of dysfunctional family life to varying extents:

Hikaru: Probably the best off of the bunch, her dad can only see his family once a year and her grandpa’s kind of a crank (though he does have his reasons as he basically thinks his son ran out on his family and is worried Hikaru is going down the same path) but they generally seem like a loving, supportive family regardless.

Lala: As we’ve seen, her family seems friendly but like the rest of the planet they’ve basically dubbed Lala as a second class citizen just because the Mother AI stated that she didn’t have much potential.

Elena: Actually has a good family but her parents aren’t around all that much due to work. As a result Elena usually has to be the one to take care of her younger siblings.

Madoka: Her mom seems alright but her dad’s kind of an rear end in a top hat (and may or may not be hiding something depending on how certain things go).

Yuni: Her entire race is currently frozen in stone but are apparently still alive/conscious as well (as evidenced when Aiwan turned one of them into a NoTrigger). Also if her story is to be taken at face value the leader of Planet Rainbow somehow birthed Yuni and her entire race.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 27, 2019

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
https://twitter.com/animemaru/status/1166847939651616768?s=21

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This could either be terrible or awesome. But either way it apparently won’t be out for a few years yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's a "joke" twitter account so no it's not true