Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That some anime thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Julio Cruz posted:

Hugh Laurie is the undisputed best Brit doing an American accent and Gerard Butler is probably the worst.

God, no, not even close. Lexx once did an episode guest starring Craig Charles and Hattie Hayridge of Red Dwarf as the owners of a private Texan prison. Hayridge's attempt at a Texan accent is awful beyond parody, but it was quite probably still better than Charles's because he just used his natural Scouse accent throughout.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Neil Gaiman is cool, but I don’t think he’s ever done anything as impressive as Sandman.
Frankly, I can't tolerate Gaiman now that he's married Amanda Palmer and they go around doing twee bullshit together.

Labes for days posted:

Grant Morrison is my favorite and I will back him 100% in his hilarious “real chaos magician” feud with Moore.
As near as I can tell, their feud started because Morrison told an interviewer "Moore is not the father figure to all British comic writers because he has a huge beard. I was published before he was" and Moore took it badly because he was going through a very cranky phase.

quote:

As for Ellis, the only stuff of his I’ve ever read is Transmetropolitan and Supergod. Is Planetary worth reading? I remember hearing it was good but never got around to it.
Yes, Planetary is a loving homage to decades of pulp fiction. It drives home the same core beliefs that show up in a lot of his work--information wants to be free, inequality is bad, the world changes to quickly to track, some people are just bastards who need to die--but without the edginess of Transmet and certainly not the pessimism of Supergod. If you want to see his deconstructionist take on superheroes, his work on Stormwatch is good and usually gets neglected in favour of The Authority, which picks up where that version of Stormwatch ended. And if you like Planetary or Stormwatch, read newuniversal.

Merrill Grinch posted:

I liked the part about GPS/Guidance systems becoming robust enough that missiles could be replaced by lawn darts dropped from drones.
That's already happening. Commercial drones are big enough to carry a bomb, they're really hard to spot and shoot down, and most armored vehicles aren't armored on the top.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I straight up cannot get over Benadryl Cumberpatch doing an American accent to play Stephen Strange. He's fine if you don't listen too hard, or if you don't know what he usually sounds like, but he's just got this weird way of drawing out the vowels that just screams "actor doing an accent" to me.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Then there are Hugh Laurie, Christian Bale, and Damian Lewis who rely on the "fish face" and lisping to power through certain parts of the accent, though props to Damian because he's one of the few actors who can scream at the top of his lungs in another accent without making it noticeable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Halloween Jack posted:

Frankly, I can't tolerate Gaiman now that he's married Amanda Palmer and they go around doing twee bullshit together.

Jeeze, I gotta say this seems pretty lame and unhealthy.

He's an amazing author with lots of output of a consistently high quality. Unless he's like hurting people or doing something unethical, his personal life isn't much of your business. You can just like not follow her twitter?
Let him be happy :colbert:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think his point was that it has completely affected his writing. Neil’s writing has always been emotional and sensitive but there was a distinct darkness to it in the 90’s and early aughts that he just doesn’t have anymore, and his last collection or two have really just seemed like he’s doing his best Neil Gaiman impression. He’s much more likely to go for a sappy and sentimental ending than the poignant bittersweet notes he rose to prominence over.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lots of people chill out a little as they age. Maybe he's gotten over the angst from his twenties and thirties? Maybe he's healthier now in his own head?

I like Gaiman, and I wouldn't begrudge him feeling better about the world and his place in it just because I want more stories to read.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If that's what it is, blaming that all on his wife and not just like getting older and having four children seems weird.

Also artists change and explore other things so as not to get bored. Demanding their style remains static is super lame in its own way. Sandman is still there if you wanna read Sandman.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t wanna read Sandman for the 15th time, relax, I’m just saying Neil used to be edgier and if you have dark and edgy melancholia and then take the darkness and edginess it’s just sad twee stuff that I, too, have outgrown. Neil Gaiman is basically the literary equivalent of Tim Burton at this point, but I’m still happy for him and I’m not gonna pretend that huge swathes of my favorite cultures aren’t directly a result of his work.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 29, 2019

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Just made it through and I loved it, but;

- Having not read the comics and approaching the show strictly divorced from that context, the non-ending was a really lovely pay off to the episodes building up to it. I had hoped for a fun caper where a rag-tag bunch of cheeky chappies bought down a wonderfully evil mega-corporation and that it might have a beginning, a middle and an end. Instead it just seems like its going to suffer the American TV disease of diminishing returns as the show trudges through increasingly lovely series and turns into a drawn out loving soap opera.

- Hughie suffered from 'Jesse Pinkman' syndrome in that it seemed that the writers relied on fathoming up some inexplicable pangs of conscience on his part in order to drive the plot

- Karl Urban channeled Jack Sparrow once or twice and I'm absolutely fine with that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Simiain posted:

- Having not read the comics and approaching the show strictly divorced from that context, the non-ending was a really lovely pay off to the episodes building up to it. I had hoped for a fun caper where a rag-tag bunch of cheeky chappies bought down a wonderfully evil mega-corporation and that it might have a beginning, a middle and an end. Instead it just seems like its going to suffer the American TV disease of diminishing returns as the show trudges through increasingly lovely series and turns into a drawn out loving soap opera.

Nothing in this series implied it was a smash em up Marvelesque super hero show. If anything it felt like they were avoiding big fights for CGI budget reasons.

It's also just been eight episodes who says it's going to drag on. loving Brits produced Dr. Who they got nothing to point fingers at.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also I consider the plot lines from S1 to be resolved because the plots were about revenge.

Billy and Hughie both basically completed their revenge, except it turns out Hughie is a better person than Billy and Billy would happily murder a baby if he thought it might chap Homelander’s rear end.

The final episode setting up the new and exciting different plot for S2 doesn’t make what happened in S1 less impactful. Like this isn’t a cliffhanger, it’s just a bombshell.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I felt that Haley joel osment really turned it on for his emotional scenes, dudes got some chops

Pork chops

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

That some anime thing?

I thought Hanzo steel was a thing from kill bill

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Hattori Hanzo was the name of a real deal samurai.

"Hanzo's katana" and "Hanzo steel" has kinda been a pop culture thing in movies and video games for a long while and Tarantino was probably referencing old kung fu movies

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stairmaster posted:

I thought Hanzo steel was a thing from kill bill

Tarantino doesn't make original movies. They're a framework of parts from cinema history held together by a coherent vision of what he wants the movie to be.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Not sure how anyone can look at the end of the EIGHTH episode of a television show and complain about things getting dragged out, but here we are.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Plan Z posted:

Then there are Hugh Laurie, Christian Bale, and Damian Lewis who rely on the "fish face" and lisping to power through certain parts of the accent, though props to Damian because he's one of the few actors who can scream at the top of his lungs in another accent without making it noticeable.

Suddenly imagining a brawl between Charlie "do you want to know how I survived prison" Crews vs Lucas "just hosed up an albino" Hood

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Labes for days posted:

Not sure how anyone can look at the end of the EIGHTH episode of a television show and complain about things getting dragged out, but here we are.

I honestly hate getting involved in tiny UK or Aussie serials because people like to claim that US TV is bloated but almost none of the Sci-Fi stuff from across the pond resolved hardly ANYTHING inside their tiny seasons.

Like I really liked Glitch on Netflix from AU a lot, but being two 6 episode seasons didn’t make it inherently better to one 12 episode season and it still left with the biggest questions in the show completely unanswered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chubby Henparty posted:

Suddenly imagining a brawl between Charlie "do you want to know how I survived prison" Crews vs Lucas "just hosed up an albino" Hood

Now I remember how good of a show Life was again.

Jerk.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

Jerk.

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TOUCH DEATH"

Crews holding the Incan Death Flag has been my phone's wallpaper for at least five years. Of course the flag's cut off, but it still looks loving awesome.

To go slightly back on topic, Hood would win any fight between him and Crews but Crews would smoothly talk him down before he did any real damage.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That was the spirit of the show, but I liked the few hints throughout (like the finale) that under the zen outlook, he was by nature or necessity a hard bastard.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Rhyno posted:

Jerk.

He ever find out who actually did it before it got cancelled?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bust Rodd posted:

I honestly hate getting involved in tiny UK or Aussie serials because people like to claim that US TV is bloated but almost none of the Sci-Fi stuff from across the pond resolved hardly ANYTHING inside their tiny seasons.

Like I really liked Glitch on Netflix from AU a lot, but being two 6 episode seasons didn’t make it inherently better to one 12 episode season and it still left with the biggest questions in the show completely unanswered.

Season 3 of Glitch is showing right now on ABC. I don't know when it will be on Netflix.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

GD_American posted:

No, which makes it even worse.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

GD_American posted:

Yeah, the series ended pretty satisfyingly IIRC.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
Good gravy, seeing people angry at The Deep for the rape, but then immediately looking for redeeming qualities like Animal Rights support is hilarious. Like caring about dolphins somehow balances-out his utter obliviousness in regards to the effects of his actions.

The Deep is a guy that got by on his looks and limited powerset alone. He's deeply narcissistic and dumb as a post, evidenced by his receptiveness to the dolphin's advances.

The point of his arc then is seeing this literal human piece of trash feel all of the emotions when his feelings are on the line, bit being completely oblivious to the world around him.

Can he be redeemed? Sure. But we wouldn't get anymore "Everybody Hurts" moments and that would be the true crime here. So I hope he stays hollow, narcissistic, aggressively dull and stupid, if only to be a stand-in for me to laugh at and wonder about the lives of horrible people I know.

EDIT: with that said, I fully expect The Deep to fail upward in the series. New executives...old transgressions forgotten...past history of success. Sounds like Management material to me, boys!

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 29, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That sounds incredibly boring both to watch and write for.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Fun At Parties

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bust Rodd posted:

The number one thing said by anyone who lacks imagination.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No you can just see that kinda poo poo literally everywhere else is all.

I like this show because it’s doing lots of different things. Making it samey would make it lame-o.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Like I'm going to be disappointed if Starlight's in trouble and The Deep sacrifices himself to save her or something dumb, but I do like the idea of making him an interesting character by making him feel something besides "I'm a big dick superhero on top of the world" is captivating.

I wonder if Starlight will join The Boys in this. It's going to be one hell of a sell to get Butcher back to leading the team after he abandoned everybody to go on a suicide mission against Homelander.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Starlight fought A-Train and is in on the conspiracy now. If A-Train is, like, in a coma for S2 she can spy for them.

I don’t really know what’s gonna happen with Billy & Becky though. Realistically how does Billy get them away from Homelander?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Not only that, but when she confronted her mom about knowing about Compound V it gave her the realization she had been lied to her whole life. I think she'll join the Boys in season 2.i think A Train will survive, at least to maintain tension about the fact that they fought each other. Shockwave will no doubt take his place in the seven, which could be interesting as well.

Another possibility is A Train presumed dead by Starlight and she stays with the Seven to try to spy on them, only to get confronted later on by Homelander.

Deep will try to use his powers to stop Homelander but it will backfire horribly when it turns out he can't really control sea life and he'll get eaten alive by thousands of hag fish or something.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Another possibility is A Train presumed dead by Starlight and she stays with the Seven to try to spy on them, only to get confronted later on by Homelander.

I could see her picking up that part of Maeve's character from the comics. Would make better sense for Starlight to be in that role in both the books and show.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Plan Z posted:

I could see her picking up that part of Maeve's character from the comics. Would make better sense for Starlight to be in that role in both the books and show.

That role doesn't have a very happy ending, though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s quite clear that we’ve gone off-rails WRT comics at this point, and frankly I’d be happy if it stayed that way. I really hope we get to see Mother’s Milk’s Mom, I’m stoked for the episode with Terror (who probably won’t Rape anybody) and we NEED at least a brief Love Sausage cameo.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno why, but the only actor that comes to mind for LS has got to be David Harbour.

I know he's playing the Red Guardian in the new Black Widow movie, but having him cameo as the big guy would be loving hilarious.

I don't recall much about the comics, would anyone mind linking some pics or something of the stuff people are talking about when it comes to the weirder poo poo in there like MM's mom and brother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Arthil posted:

That role doesn't have a very happy ending, though.

I don't think anyone but Hughie and Annie got a happy ending to be fair. Even then..