Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Knocking on wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Capcom pls don't do this

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Better quality version of those screenshots

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1167057223312449536

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Left 4 Evil could be nice but I don’t trust capcom to not chase the fuckin br money.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I will trust Capcom when Breath of Fire is good again and no sooner.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’ve never played a BR game that I’ve enjoyed (they always seem like 20 minutes of mindless searching for loot and 3 minutes of unremarkable shooter gameplay that’s largely unimpacted by what happens in the preceding 20,) and I don’t trust Capcom to be the exception, but drat if the Resident Evil setting isn’t the A-number-one property in which to have an experimental battle island.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Battle Royale but your all umbrella employees and instead of guns your all scrambling for different viruses so that you can turn into different abominations with their own set of tactical options. Then at the end the winner gets shot with a rocket launcher held by oooooohhh lets say... Parker Luciani ?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

http://www.residenteviloutbreak.com/

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Oh man, an outbreak sequel/reimagining with the RE7 engine would be amazing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Apex is a good BR and you should try it

EdithUpwards posted:

I will trust Capcom when Breath of Fire is good again and no sooner.

Never forget bringing my gameshark to my cousins house, and we went to his neighbors house and I plugged it in and we did some stuff, totally ruining his BoF4 save.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I was about to ask why everyone was so convinced this was an RE project, but that guy's sweatshirt says "RACCOON" on it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wanderer posted:

I was about to ask why everyone was so convinced this was an RE project, but that guy's sweatshirt says "RACCOON" on it.

I dunno, maybe the way PROJECT RESISTANCE is stylised so that the RE stands out? :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Also why would Capcom make a zombie game that isn't Resident Evil when it's guaranteed to sell twice as well just for having the name on it?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Cardiovorax posted:

Also why would Capcom make a zombie game that isn't Resident Evil when it's guaranteed to sell twice as well just for having the name on it?

Dead Rising.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

He said twice as well not twice as worse.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Considering that Dead Rising 4 performed so badly that Capcom swallowed a loss of 40 million dollars and kiled the IP rather than to keep developing them... yeah.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Fair enough for DR4 but what about when DR1 hit, wasn't that a killer app for the 360 when it came out, some time between RE4 and 5?

E: I don't know much, if anything about the development of Dead Rising but I can't imagine it was a reaction to people wanting zombie survival horror, and it's not a Resident Evil prototype-turned new IP like Devil May Cry, surely?

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 29, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It only sold half a million units on release and didn't have all that good of a good critical reception either, so if it was then its probably more because the 360 had only been out for half a year at that point.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

Fair enough for DR4 but what about when DR1 hit, wasn't that a killer app for the 360 when it came out, some time between RE4 and 5?

I think the first and second games were very well recived, the third less so, and then the forth was apparently aggressively terrible and a sales bomb.

They might make another one one day, but it'll probably need a few years for the stink to waft off and for someone to actually come up with decent new ideas for a sequel.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

DR4 had a new creative director who moved over from EA. It turned the difficulty way down, got rid of time limits, amped up all the stupidity, changed out Frank's voice actor, and managed to do a back-to-the-beginning plot for the fourth game that also dramatically retconned a plot that wasn't that complex to begin with.

It wasn't a terrible game, but it decidedly isn't a Dead Rising game, and it got a lukewarm reception. It also didn't help that it was an Xbox One exclusive for the first nine months or so, and that it did the Fallout 3 thing where the actual ending is in the DLC.

DeadButDelicious posted:

E: I don't know much, if anything about the development of Dead Rising but I can't imagine it was a reaction to people wanting zombie survival horror, and it's not a Resident Evil prototype-turned new IP like Devil May Cry, surely?

The original game was an experimental project from Keiji Inafune in the last couple of years before he was at Capcom. It sold okay, but DR2 was the breakout hit, and was the only example of Capcom successfully farming out an IP to a different studio in the 2000s/2010s.

The general problem that developed across the course of the series was that it got aggressively dumber as it went, because someone at Capcom Vancouver was under the impression that the stupidity was the primary draw. DR is basically a horror B-movie; DR2 is Chuck Greene as the straight man in a world gone crazy (everything that has to do with Chuck is reasonably straight-faced, but every psycho and almost every survivor in the game is a lunatic played for laughs); and DR3 goes the rest of the way into a complete farce. By DR4, it's just a full-fledged power fantasy with you stomping zombies in a mech suit and it's jettisoned most of the trademark mechanics that made the first two games what they were.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Yikes, I didn't realise the numbers were that poor for DR. Now that you mention it, I've only ever heard bad things about DR3, and never heard anyone talk about DR4. Consider me told.

(Also Chuck's great)

Wanderer I wish I could sit and pick your brain all day for all the interesting stuff you know.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Guys Japan really likes Dead by Daylight (at least, among the weirdo community. Not the waifu weirdos, the other kinda)

That being said I hope this is more Left 4 Dead than a purely assymetrical multiplayer thingie. Odds might be decent for that, considering there was that L4D2/RE6 collabo way back when.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 29, 2019

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Guys Japan really likes Dead by Daylight (at least, among the weirdo community. Not the waifu weirdos, the other kinda)

That being said I hope this is more Left 4 Dead than a purely assymetrical multiplayer thingie. Odds might be decent for that, considering there was that L4D2/RE6 collabo way back when.

Asymmetrical multiplayer wouldn't really jive with the characters being as armed as they are in those photos. Dead by Daylight you can't do anything other than momentarily stun the killer with environmental stuff. You certainly weren't running around with a shotgun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd actually dig a Resident Evil Battle Royale set in Raccoon City, except it's asymmetrical, team based and has proximity chat.

Survivors, cops, Umbrella security guys, mercs, etc all with unique goals, trying to complete those objectives while zombies, Mr X and Nemesis are all existing in the city. Alliances of convenience, distrust, and scrambles to each possible escape point before the nuke drops. That sounds pretty darn good.

It looks more like just a new Outbreak though. That's super exciting.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd actually dig a Resident Evil Battle Royale set in Raccoon City, except it's asymmetrical, team based and has proximity chat.

Survivors, cops, Umbrella security guys, mercs, etc all with unique goals, trying to complete those objectives while zombies, Mr X and Nemesis are all existing in the city. Alliances of convenience, distrust, and scrambles to each possible escape point before the nuke drops. That sounds pretty darn good.

I'll take a new Outbreak over some dumb PvE experiment that's bound to fail harder than anything Umbrella grew in a lab.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

Asymmetrical multiplayer wouldn't really jive with the characters being as armed as they are in those photos. Dead by Daylight you can't do anything other than momentarily stun the killer with environmental stuff. You certainly weren't running around with a shotgun.

That isn't really necessarily true. There are quite a few example of at least attempts at that, such as Evolve which was 4 heavily armed dudes against a player controlled monster. They could easily do something like Nemesis/Mr.X/Lisa Trevor/that thing that chased Jake/honestly this list is longer than I expected

Anyway the point is they could. I'm not saying they will but being heavily armed doesn't mean it's ruled out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For the record DR3 sold like a million copies within a few months ofrelease and was praised by Capcom as being a good seller. DR4 is what killed the franchise dead dead

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This is basically what Operation Raccoon City was sold as.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

For the record DR3 sold like a million copies within a few months ofrelease and was praised by Capcom as being a good seller. DR4 is what killed the franchise dead dead

Yeah, DR3 gets some poo poo from fans of the franchise, and they aren't exactly wrong (it has the weakest protagonist of the first three games, is by far the easiest, and has a lot of boring back-and-forth driving), but it was an Xbone launch title and more or less held up its end of the deal.

It's also more or less the end of a reasonably cohesive story that draws on both the games that came before it, to the point where it would've made sense as a wrap-up for the franchise as a whole.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah Dead Rising 3 isn't a bad game. Definitely the weakest of the original trilogy but it's a good conclusion to the story.

Dead Rising 4 not only didn't need to exist, with how it turned out it absolutely shouldn't have existed.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/SarahOfMars/status/1167335368019984384

gonna go out and say that is billy's younger brother and those are billy's dog tags that rebecca gives him before poo poo hits the fan. gone (from capcom) but not forgotten!

also the http://www.residenteviloutbreak.com/ has an OK like residentevil2 did before the remake was announced and there was a rumour last year about remastering outbreak file 1 and 2 so this is 100% an outbreak game. might not have file 3 in the title but hopefully will have files 1 and 2 remade along with new file 3 stuff.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 30, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll be pissed if they chicken out and just add voice instead of leaving the contextual shouts in

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey! Cmon!
My life is poo poo!

Thanks!
Thanks!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://twitter.com/SarahOfMars/status/1167335368019984384

gonna go out and say that is billy's younger brother and those are billy's dog tags that rebecca gives him before poo poo hits the fan. gone (from capcom) but not forgotten!

also the http://www.residenteviloutbreak.com/ has an OK like residentevil2 did before the remake was announced and there was a rumour last year about remastering outbreak file 1 and 2 so this is 100% an outbreak game. might not have file 3 in the title but hopefully will have files 1 and 2 remade along with new file 3 stuff.

Waluigi will be promoted from assist trophy before Capcom acknowledges Billy Coan again.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope this is Outbreak File #3, it's the only multiplayer related game people have been asking from them for quite some time. If that's the case, I wonder if the characters are gonna have different skills like in previous Outbreak games.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I hope it's at least similar to RE2 in gameplay and enemy design.

I dont want L4D3 with 100 running fodder zombos.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, this is really disappointing. I don't want an online co-op RE game and don't think it fits the franchise that well. I don't enjoy playing online games much anyway and part of the tense atmosphere of good RE games is derived from me getting in my dark, isolated game room, cranking up the sound and immersing myself. Thankfully they appear to still be working on RE8.

Or...is THIS RE8? IN which case consider me really bummed. I'm kind of burned on RE2 remake. Does anyone else find that by the time you're good enough to unlock all the kick rear end poo poo, you're actually already good enough at the game to not need it? There's cathartic fun to be had in being able to murder a bunch of poo poo but none of mystery or tension is there.

Wonder how hard it'd be for Capcom to generate a randomizer of sorts (that wouldn't break the game) and charge 10 bucks for DLC? Maybe even add some different monsters in there (spiders, birds, bugs, hunters, crimson heads). Might be an easy buck for them and freshen up the game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

If this was actually RE8, we'd know. They wouldn't have been able to resist the PR blitz. It's likely that this is a spin-off, and possibly the modern play on Outbreak that people have been talking about for years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Knowing Konami it will just be ORC2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Knowing Konami it will just be ORC2

I would be very open to this. Maybe instead of a prisoner's dilemma as the final fight they can make it the bargaining problem