Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Losing track of all the mcmagic prop bets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

Losing track of all the mcmagic prop bets.

I'm gonna have like 12 different avatars.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If you hire Adam Gase, you’re tanking - no matter what your intentions are

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Amy Pole Her posted:

If you hire Adam Gase, you’re tanking - no matter what your intentions are

I should dig up your quotes about Gase when the Dolphins went 10-6 his first year lol.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
It's a bad bet because they probably will get a fools gold 8-10 win season this year. Gase is a cancer that doesn't kill instantly

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Raku posted:

It's a bad bet because they probably will get a fools gold 8-10 win season this year. Gase is a cancer that doesn't kill instantly

When you have a 22 year old franchise QB, it's not fools gold. Sam is gonna make Gase look good even if he isn't.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah, he went 10-6. And since then he torpedoed the team much like he’s going to do to the Jets. It’s called working with the information you have - and you’ve got 3 extra years of it.

That retort was literally backing up my point lol you’re trying to defy a very real pattern Adam Gase establishes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah, he went 10-6. And since then he torpedoed the team much like he’s going to do to the Jets. It’s called working with the information you have - and you’ve got 3 extra years of it.

That retort was literally backing up my point lol

I don't think Gase is a good coach but the idea that he alone is the reason the dolphins tanked is pretty silly. The 17 and 18 dolphins didn't underachieve.... They just weren't very good.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I can understand the Jets being willing to trade a third for Clowney but not for a 1 year rental.

The Jets aren’t winning the Super Bowl this year with or without Clowney (I’m pretty sure) so you’re trading a 3rd rounder for a wildcard spot?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

I can understand the Jets being willing to trade a third for Clowney but not for a 1 year rental.

The Jets aren’t winning the Super Bowl this year with or without Clowney (I’m pretty sure) so you’re trading a 3rd rounder for a wildcard spot?

I would trade a 3rd for a wild card spot every loving day of the week.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

When you have a 22 year old franchise QB, it's not fools gold. Sam is gonna make Gase look good even if he isn't.

this seems...premature

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The dolphins were more talented last year than the jets are this year

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
He's been a head coach once. He might have changed, learned something, grown as a coach and person.

I know that what he's actually done is take a bunch of cocaine and bought a ton of dolphin unfriendly tuna, but it remains theoretically possible he's changed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Metapod posted:

The dolphins were more talented last year than the jets are this year

lol

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Gase is a good coach but the idea that he alone is the reason the dolphins tanked is pretty silly. The 17 and 18 dolphins didn't underachieve.... They just weren't very good.

He was a very very large reason. Pretending it was entirely the Dolphins is ignorance of the situation, but at this point we both know any evidence i submit you’ll handwave it away.

Guess we’ll see.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

He was a very very large reason. Pretending it was entirely the Dolphins is ignorance of the situation, but at this point we both know any evidence i submit you’ll handwave it away.

Guess we’ll see.

I'm not saying he did a good job but it's not like he's Mike Tolmin where his teams had elite talent all over the field and underachieved year after year. He had middling talent and got middling results...

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I dunno. The Dolphins haven't exactly shed five all pros, and people are confident they'll struggle to win two games. It's never been a great squad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Thinking about it, everything that people are making GBS threads on Gase for is actually more true of Mike Tomlin than it is about Gase lol. Mike Tomlin sucks.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The 17 and 18 Dolphins had lousy to mediocre play at the most important position and overall declining rosters. Gase or not, those teams were never going to make any noise.

mcmagic posted:

I would trade a 3rd for a wild card spot every loving day of the week.

That seems a bit like mortgaging the future for a round one exit.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 29, 2019

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

Thinking about it, everything that people are making GBS threads on Gase for is actually more true of Mike Tomlin than it is about Gase lol. Mike Tomlin sucks.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Idgi?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The 17 and 18 Dolphins had lousy to mediocre play at the most important position and overall declining rosters. Gase or not, those teams were never going to make any noise.

Y’all are straight up forgetting Gase has a lot of input on players

I’m not putting all the blame on Gase obviously - we had tons of poo poo players. But we didn’t improve, and we vastly got worse directly as a result of Gase.

They’ll go 9-7

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

this seems...premature

I was going to make a snarky joke about how the only way you can accurately judge a rookie quarterback is from three of their final four games, but I just looked up his stats in these games and I'm even more confused about the national hype around Darnold.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The idea that a 3rd round pick is the Jets future is pretty dubious.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

I was going to make a snarky joke about how the only way you can accurately judge a rookie quarterback is from three of their final four games, but I just looked up his stats in these games and I'm even more confused about the national hype around Darnold.

Actually his completion % improved quite a bit and he only threw 1 pick.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 29, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

mcmagic posted:

Mike Tomlin has a .654 win record in the regular season (125 - 55 - 1), a .533 record in the postseason (8 - 7), and has been to the super bowl twice with one super bowl win. Gase, who has lost his only postseason game as a coach and is 25-23 (.479) in the regular season isn't even in the same galaxy. Gase may well be a better coach than his record indicates, I didn't love those Dolphin rosters either, but he's got an extremely long way to go before he even approaches Tomlin's level as a head coach.

In any case all this back and forth is pointless, the season begins in exactly one week! Holy poo poo! It'll be put up or shut up time for both mcmagic and Gase.

BTW even the Jets beat writer for the Athletic wrote that the team wasn't deep anywhere except punter (where they have two, lol) which is something mcmagic was trying to argue the other day. It's still a roster that needs a good amount of work

Play fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 29, 2019

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I hate this team.

tldr: the Texans want Tunsil for Clowney. We're actually considering dealing Tunsil, but not 1 for 1 because the contract situations are so lopsided. But we might deal Tunsil for a Clowney rental + draft picks

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article234503077.html

quote:

The Miami Dolphins trade talks with the Houston Texans for defensive end Jadeveon Clowney have prominently included the idea of the Dolphins improving their defensive front while the Texans have been pushing for a way to improve their offensive front.

And that’s the reason the Texans have been focused on getting left tackle Laremy Tunsil from the Dolphins, according to multiple sources.

Tunsil, entering his fourth NFL season, was the Dolphins 2016 first-round draft pick and has started every game he’s played for Miami. He is considered the cornerstone of Miami’s offensive line and perhaps Miami’s only elite offensive player right now.

The Houston Chronicle reported late Wednesday evening the Texans have had trade discussions for Clowney with five teams -- Seattle, Philadelphia, Washington, the New York Jets, as well as Miami -- but that the most significant talks have been with the Dolphins.

Clowney has met with and visited multiple members of the Dolphins organization, most prominently coach Brian Flores.

And the fact the Dolphins-Texans talks have advanced well beyond any discussions the Texans have had with any other team and the Texans granted permission for Clowney’s visit speaks to the strong possibility the Dolphins are willing to part with Tunsil.

Trade rumors involving Tunsil are not new. But last week the Herald reported the Dolphins recently told the Tunsil camp they are not dangling him in any trade discussions.

And while it might be true the Dolphins are not actively shopping Tunsil, the Texans have been actively discussing his availability and have made him the primary reason for talking with Miami.

One more thing: A Jadeveon Clowney for Laremy Tunsil one-for-one trade is not an even trade. That exchange favors the Texans because while the two players are roughly equivalent in value, their contract situation is not.

Clowney is Houston’s franchise player and is under a tag costing roughly $16 million. Any team acquiring him cannot sign him to a multi-year deal until next offseason -- assuming he’s open to that idea. Even then, Clowney would want to be paid among the highest pass rushers in the NFL.

And there’s always the uncertainty that Clowney would not sign a contract at all.

Tunsil, meanwhile, is in the final year of his rookie contract which costs Miami only $3.963 million against the cap. And next season he is under team control via the fifth-year option that costs $10.3 million.

So the Dolphins effectively would be trading away the certainty of a player under team control for at least three seasons -- by employing a franchise tag in 2021 -- versus a player under a one-year $16 million franchise tag.

It is for that reason, according to one source familiar with the trade discussions, that the Texans would have to send the Dolphins other considerations in a trade involving Tunsil for Clowney.

And the consideration the Dolphins have been focused on are a draft pick or multiple picks. The source would not disclose the value of those picks.

Under this scenario the Dolphins would send Tunsil for Clowney and a draft pick or picks.

None of this means a trade is imminent. Clowney has been reticent about signing his franchise tag tender and cannot be traded until he does so.

And the reason he hasn’t signed it is because he wants to keep leverage in what team he is dealt to. Multiple news outlets have reported Clowney prefers to go to teams that expect to compete for the playoffs. That does not include Dolphins, who are in a rebuilding program.

Nov 6, 2002

Ha-ha.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

fsif posted:

...he was one of the best QBs in the NFL over the last quarter of the season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Play posted:

Mike Tomlin has a .654 win record in the regular season (125 - 55 - 1), a .533 record in the postseason (8 - 7), and has been to the super bowl twice with one super bowl win. Gase, who has lost his only postseason game as a coach and is 25-23 (.479) in the regular season isn't even in the same galaxy. Gase may well be a better coach than his record indicates, I didn't love those Dolphin rosters either, but he's got an extremely long way to go before he even approaches Tomlin's level as a head coach.

In any case all this back and forth is pointless, the season begins in exactly one week! Holy poo poo! It'll be put up or shut up time for both mcmagic and Gase

I think Tomlin is one of the worst coaches in the NFL and does less with more than pretty much any other coach in the NFL so me saying he's worse than Gase isn't really me pumping Gase. Get back to me when Gase pisses away season after season with hall of fame talent all over the field.

Nov 6, 2002

Play posted:

In any case all this back and forth is pointless, the season begins in exactly one week! Holy poo poo! It'll be put up or shut up time for both mcmagic and Gase.

BTW even the Jets beat writer for the Athletic wrote that the team wasn't deep anywhere except punter (where they have two, lol) which is something mcmagic was trying to argue the other day. It's still a roster that needs a good amount of work

Mike Tomlin has some serious flaws though that he's never been able to fix. His teams always come out flat against underwhelming opponents, especially on the road, and he has consistently failed to deal with the tension and drama caused by their franchise QB and it has literally cost them star players.

He's accomplished much more than Gase probably ever well, but so much of that is just being in a well run organization and having a legit QB. If you stuck John Fox on the Steelers during Tomlin's reign do you think the results would be much different?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 29, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

...he was one of the best QBs in the NFL over the last quarter of the season.

The Dolphins and Bills fans in here are hilariously still burying their heads in the sand about how good Darnold is.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Ehud posted:

I hate this team.

tldr: the Texans want Tunsil for Clowney. We're actually considering dealing Tunsil, but not 1 for 1 because the contract situations are so lopsided. But we might deal Tunsil for a Clowney rental + draft picks

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article234503077.html

Oh my god gently caress this teeeaaammmmmm

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The Dolphins and Bills fans in here are hilariously still burying their heads in the sand about how good Darnold is.

I get that it's promising, but it's still a pretty small sample size to really be hanging your hat on, just yet.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

how many good games did brock osweiler have and how many good games has darnold had so far

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

how many good games did brock osweiler have and how many good games has darnold had so far

LOL

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

I am super interested to see how both Darnold and Allen do when they start getting pass rush in their face come the regular season. Looking pretty in the preseason means jack poo poo for both teams considering both have untested OL units at the moment. I want to see what happens when Darnold gets pressure in his face - does he struggle once more under pressure or does he flourish? Will Allen extend plays and make something happen or try and play hero ball, throw off platform across his body and give up easy INTs?

I suspect the answer to both will be the latter but I'm really getting excited to see.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

He's accomplished much more than Gase probably ever well, but so much of that is just being in a well run organization and having a legit QB. If you stuck John Fox on the Steelers during Tomlin's reign do you think the results would be much different?

I do, actually. I think they'd be very different. It's easy as gently caress to point out "oh look at those good players that must mean he does so little" but part of the reason those players are so good is because of how much he does. It's just ignorance talking when people think they actually know the split there, honestly.

A huge part of the reason it's a well-run organization is because of him, to say it's a well run organization and he just benefits from that but has no part in it is just straight nonsense man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

brock went 5-2 and beat the patriots in his first year starting

small sample sizes are a bitch, darnold could be good (i have no opinion one way or the other besides a profound skepticism of the jets) but when people say "good in the last quarter of the season" i hear "not good"

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 29, 2019