Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Turn the gamma up? Doom 16 takes place in bright-red Mars and bright-orange Hell.

And a lot of dull brown Hell and black-and-brown-and-grey Mars. One reason I didn't care for the game, it was so drat boring to look at outside of a few specific areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Getting a kick out of reading anyone trying to discern a MGS plot and claiming that not being able to parse it or that continuity errors are dragging the game down.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
All games could be improved by adding more butts. Male, female, goblin keep the butts coming.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Danganronpa 2: Nagito Komaeda is just a straight up ripoff of Ted Hartrup from the classic Ambition series and it's horribly obvious

both of them:
-unreasonably lucky to the point that its a critical moment in the plot
-his luck casts insane misfortune on everyone around him
-the most lovably unlovable person in the series
-will blow you to hell
-absolute wildcard
-seemingly normal people in the prequel
-straight up homicidal if it suits their plans

As reparations, NIS should finish Michael "Zapdramatic" Gibson's Ambition series, along with Sr Basil Pike

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

Danganronpa 2: Nagito Komaeda is just a straight up ripoff of Ted Hartrup from the classic Ambition series and it's horribly obvious

both of them:
-unreasonably lucky to the point that its a critical moment in the plot
-his luck casts insane misfortune on everyone around him
-the most lovably unlovable person in the series
-will blow you to hell
-absolute wildcard
-seemingly normal people in the prequel
-straight up homicidal if it suits their plans

As reparations, NIS should finish Michael "Zapdramatic" Gibson's Ambition series, along with Sr Basil Pike

We need a crossover.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I've had to "quit back to menu" roughly ten times since I've started playing Remnant of the Ashes because of how easy it is to fall through the map or otherwise softlock the game and bug out. Enemy design kind of sucks, encounter design kind of blows and I haven't yet fought a boss I've found fun. Know what was fun though? Starting the second major zone and finding more, really annoying to fight, enemies in this one tiny town area than in the entire first world. Why do these spear throwing assholes have a near infinite aggro radius, too?

EDIT: Basically it feels like they really, really frontloaded this game. The first area is really fun; all of the little side things you can find are cool, half of the bosses have alternative things you can get from them by killing them in certain ways or doing other things and the gameplay is relatively balanced, melee is completely viable and environments are relatively varied; visually speaking.

Then you get to the second area and all of that goes out the window and it feels like you're playing an entirely different game where all the cool stuff is gone in favor of just throwing more and more dudes at you.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Aug 29, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the snags with MMOs in general is that people are realizing the good times mostly game from playing the game with your friends rather than the horrid grinding that most of them end up requiring.

I played with friends a little bit more yesterday. The game is absolutely not actually fun to play.

As bad a game as it is at least Secret World has genuinely interesting quests and writing.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I picked up Din's Legacy last night. It's the third of a series of ARPGs, all of which build on the gameplay from the previous games in the series.

In the previous game, Zombasite, town management was a pretty big deal, with you being able to interact with each other character in your town, including managing their overall happiness and sanity, giving them gifts through other characters to improve their relations, and dealing with the occasional betrayal and zombie outbreak, all of which can be done through a single screen.

Din's Legacy does away with most of that, including the convenient UI for interacting with your town. It feels like a pretty big gaping hole in the game. I miss being able to shuffle around some perfume and gems between characters and getting a normal person to marry a plague infected goblin-like monster, not to mention the more practical stuff like being able to assign jobs to your townsfolk.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I'm really, REALLY digging Control, but one thing dragging it down is that the way the telekinesis power works doesn't allow you to hurl yourself hundreds of feet into the air like in Psi-Ops.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The difficulty curve in RE4 is all over the place - the first village area you come to is a horrible meatgrinder when you're basically completely underequipped. The area right after the first merchant where the dynamite-throwers are introduced is similarly tough unless you go out of your way to cheese it.

It's really weird to me that (for the most part) I'd rather face enemies in this game in a narrow hallway or path than in a big open area. In narrow areas, it's super easy to pop a cap in the head of the enemy closest to you and run up and kick him while he's staggered, knocking down the whole horde behind him. In open areas this is way less effective AND you constantly have ganados circling around and climbing poo poo to surround you. It's like the exact polar opposite of how I feel about combat in most other 'horror' games.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

food court bailiff posted:

The difficulty curve in RE4 is all over the place

Yes, its a game mechanic, in fact. :haw:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

One small, and two medium ones about Control. (The better a game is, the more annoyances stick out, after all.)

The tiny one: The interaction distance feels like it's half the range of what it should be, especially considering how almost none of the interactions require direct contact.
Every time I run over to say, pick up one of the 'treasure' chests, I stop a couple steps too early to interact with it.
It's very strange how despite the fact that she's just telekinetically popping them open, you have to stand right beside it. (Probably because the loot it pops out has to be picked up, instead of just flinging it at you.)

The bigger one:
There are a ton of mini-bonus missions you can pick up alongside the primary and secondary quests in the game.
Like 'kill 50 enemies without dying.'
'Kill N enemies of type X with Y Weapon in Z Area.'
The kind of missions you pick up and encourage you to use other weapons/playstyles sometimes.

And that secondary one is my annoyance.
You can only have 3 extra missions at a time, and many of them are restricted to specific locations (And as in my example, some can be hyper specific.). Except it's very likely that you'll pick one up and then not actually need to go to that area for ages.

I really wish that you could accept like 3 missions -per area- and have the location based ones filtered to that.
Instead of needing to abandon missions because you don't want to take a long detour into an area just to get what amounts to a random drop.

And the last one is crouching.
The game lets you crouch, giving you some protection behind furniture and barriers.
Except if you do anything, including just firing your weapon, Jesse will pop up and stand straight the moment you start shooting.
I guess it's the game going 'no gently caress you, this isn't a cover shooter.', but it feels so restrictive not being allowed to pop off an enemy or two from behind cover sometimes, especially considering how much enemies work to flank you anyhow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

The difficulty curve in RE4 is all over the place - the first village area you come to is a horrible meatgrinder when you're basically completely underequipped. The area right after the first merchant where the dynamite-throwers are introduced is similarly tough unless you go out of your way to cheese it.

It's really weird to me that (for the most part) I'd rather face enemies in this game in a narrow hallway or path than in a big open area. In narrow areas, it's super easy to pop a cap in the head of the enemy closest to you and run up and kick him while he's staggered, knocking down the whole horde behind him. In open areas this is way less effective AND you constantly have ganados circling around and climbing poo poo to surround you. It's like the exact polar opposite of how I feel about combat in most other 'horror' games.

re4 might have popularized multiple generations of horror/action games but it's still pretty singular in how it handles movement and targeting. the fact that it still uses tank controls means that gunfights are more of a shooting gallery, where you want to plant your feet and pick off as many dudes as possible instead of dodging/weaving/changing cover

that's reflected in the enemies themselves, since most of them will sprint like mad to get up close to you but at a certain distance they slow down and start bobbing and weaving so that you can take your shot. the scariest ones tend not to slow down (the wolves) or speed up (the regenerators)

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The most tense non-boss RE4 gameplay moments were both early in the second third of the game. There was a short sequence in a sewer or dungeon where you fight Novistadors. They were bug monsters who could turn invisible, did a a ton of damage, and were real bullet sponges. That was the only time you faced them. Flying versions appear later, but they couldn’t turn invisible and were way less durable.Then there was the big water room, which I think the only sequence with infinite enemies that didn’t involve waiting out a clock, and the only sequence where you had to both protect Ashley from a distance and watch your own back.

I found the Krauser fight and lead up stressful as hell too.

Regenerators are definitely scary, but not difficult like those were.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Samuringa posted:

Yes, its a game mechanic, in fact. :haw:

To clarify, RE4 has an adaptive difficulty system. The better you're doing the harder enemies hit / act and the less damage you do, so how easy or hard you found any particular part depends on how you were doing beforehand.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like that mechanic and think it's implemented pretty well. It's definitely led to some situations (especially early in the game, as mentioned) where I get completely overwhelmed a few times and feel like it's the toughest thing ever, then the game backs off and I power through on my next try without much trouble.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
late edit: crap, this is the wrong thread

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Aug 31, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This is a good video with some details about RE4's adaptive difficulty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFv6KAdQ5SE

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ItBreathes posted:

To clarify, RE4 has an adaptive difficulty system. The better you're doing the harder enemies hit / act and the less damage you do, so how easy or hard you found any particular part depends on how you were doing beforehand.

Yeah, I’m aware of this, and it’s really cool going into the game blind enough to die a bunch and try to see the seams of the system at play. Even actively looking for it it’s integrated really, really well and I love it. It still doesn’t change my thoughts on the first couple rough spots, though. The shooting gallery feel of the movement that Oxxidation mentioned can kind of lead players to post up in a corner in open areas and end up getting swarmed, when it seems to me now that the best way to survive is to stay a little more mobile when possible.

I don’t know, there’s just been like two areas that have felt a little frustrating so far and one of them was the second real area of the game. I’m definitely having a ton of fun though, the game has its freaky parasite hooks in me now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hell I think re4 was if not the first game with adaptive difficulty, the first game to really popularize the concept of adaptive difficulty

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Calaveron posted:

Hell I think re4 was if not the first game with adaptive difficulty, the first game to really popularize the concept of adaptive difficulty

Max Payne was a third person shooter with adaptive difficulty before RE4 but RE4 really popularised both of those ideas.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Max Payne was a third person shooter with adaptive difficulty before RE4 but RE4 really popularised both of those ideas.

Wasn't Max Payne one of those games where the adaptive difficulty was broken?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I seem to recall reading that loading a quick save or something similar to that wouldn’t count as a death so the enemies at the end of the game would be absolute monsters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think God Hand deserves some credit for being probably the first game that's completely transparent about adaptive difficulty.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Being transparent about it is a mistake because gamers are babies who will get angry over it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Being transparent about it is a mistake because gamers are babies who will get angry over it.

This is a thing that will always make me laugh. If a game is too easy or too hard gamers will demand more difficulty options, but then they'll complain when other people play difficulty options they don't, or can't, play and enjoy it. It's the age-old "I started this game on turbo-hard and it's too hard! It's a poo poo game!" thing people do all the time. Like when hundreds of people booted up Nier Automata, picked the hardest difficulty and were shocked that they died very quickly in a game they were unfamiliar with, in the introduction sequence.

Cleretic posted:

I think God Hand deserves some credit for being probably the first game that's completely transparent about adaptive difficulty.

Level DIE is still my favorite difficulty in any game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
God Hand still is the only game I finished and then immediately punched a New Game with the unlocked Hard Mode on. What a loving masterpiece it was.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh nooooooo! Yakuza 3's cutscenes are long and the only choices are between no event skips and letting you skip cutscenes which just immediately fade to black instead of letting you pause them, oh nooooooooooo!

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Aug 30, 2019

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RE4 was far from the first it even the popularizer for adaptive difficulty, racing games for example have had them for basically forever, it was just called rubber banding.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

moosecow333 posted:

I seem to recall reading that loading a quick save or something similar to that wouldn’t count as a death so the enemies at the end of the game would be absolute monsters.

Yeah, it doesn't count deaths unless you follow "push E to load last save" prompt.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sin Episodes did something similar which worked quite well, but not well enough to get an episode two, or anything.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

MisterBibs posted:

The Explorer vehicle (basically a buggy) in Satisfactory has the most satisfying (pun not intended) experience for a vehicle in a relatively open-world game since, like, Halo's warthog. It's fast but controls really well over minor hazards like rocks, and has solid well-some-idiot-driving-this-thing-flipped-it-so-reset-it-to-work mechanics. It destroys ambient plantlife around too, so it's a crude/temporary this-is-where-you-came-from landmark generator, too.

Plus, in terms of it being a game about making a giant worldwide factory, it has huge benefits there too. It can run on any fuel you're able to create, including fuel based on plant matter, so there's no possibility of having to strand the thing. It has a boatload of storage and has a workbench on the back, so a "poo poo I need to go back to base for X" situation becomes a "I just need to drive over there to get the raw materials for mats". It's just awesome.

Plus (and I think this is more for the tractor and trucks for the game), all vehicles have the ability to record both position and path. Haven't used it myself, but supposedly you can drive one of those vehicles from one place (a pickup point), drive it to another (a factory), and the game takes your path back and forth.

This is supposed to be things dragging games down.

It's been a little while since I played Satisfactory but the vehicles when I was playing were loving awful.. Like, they'd glitch into the ground for a second, then they'd suddenly collision detect and their suspension sproinginess would launch them into the air and send them crashing back down somewhere, usually upside down.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

tight aspirations posted:

Sin Episodes did something similar which worked quite well, but not well enough to get an episode two, or anything.

In my experience it was a very obvious back and forth. And being not very subtle means it was not working well imo. This was some time after the game’s release, which means it may have had patches already tweaking it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It was also broken on release, before the patch the difficulty only went up, not down. Which led to you fight endless hordes of chain-gun fuckers with a huge pile of health.

They sold a T-shirt with a picture of a bunch of the chain-gun guys that said "I beat Sin Episodes before the patch"

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Sin Episode had its dynamic difficulty as a pretty good source of unintentional comedy if you assume the changes are actually being made by commanders back at HQ.

All your goons are getting dropped by headshots? Give them all helmets for the next battle! None of your goons are dying from headshots now? I guess we can stop passing out helmets!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
There's supposedly a way to edit Max Payne's adaptive difficulty now. It just involves unpacking some game files and making some edits to a text file. The variance range that it covers for the normal difficulty is so wide that on the upper end it's actually harder than the actual hard difficulty.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

This is supposed to be things dragging games down.

Oops, my bad. I edited the post cuz I meant to put it in the sister thread to this.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mierenneuker posted:

In my experience it was a very obvious back and forth. And being not very subtle means it was not working well imo. This was some time after the game’s release, which means it may have had patches already tweaking it.

Yeah I mostly remember getting frustrated because headshot kills = enemies start spawning with helmets that make them take 3x as much ammo to kill with headshots. It felt less like the game was carefully throttling the difficulty as needed and more like if you did well you got punished by the game for it. (Basically the usual problem that "smarter enemies" are rarely an actual net-benefit to a game.)

I'm also reminded of MK9 where every three fights in the campaign go like this: 1) Easy enough that even I can beat it without breaking a sweat. 2) A bit of a pain in the rear end, but doable. 3) Impossible input-reading cheating bastard. Lose the fight and it immediately resets to 1 to start the cycle anew. Makes no loving sense.

RE4 makes it work because it's going for survival horror, so it can keep ramping up the mechanical tension and then when it finally breaks it's smart enough to promptly ease up. L4D/2's AI Director works under similar principles, with the added benefit that it can outright tweak the map layout as needed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also I just got started on Shadow of War and boy is it probably the worst example of pacing in a game I've seen in a long while. My best guess is that they spent the overwhelming majority of their time on making a gigantic, endless orc-infested sandbox and then had to cobble together some kind of narrative thread after the fact. Act 1 is just baffling and bad. Act 2 feels like a more natural starting point, but even then I'm still in the middle of getting every single side character/mission type introduced. Most games stumble because they need to exhaustively tutorialize everything before getting into the action, but I almost feel like SoW has the opposite problem. At times it feels like I was supposed to go replay the first game and then just keep going into the second.

The difficulty is definitely sharper than the previous game, which is good for the sandbox elements. But that includes the missions that aren't sandboxed at all, which means you get weirdly unfair, forced boss fights. Made all the worse in the most recent case because it comes from a bizarre swap of the two protagonists personalities - Celebrimbor has been an obstinate dick all game so far (and is definitely not going to betray Talion at any point, most certainly not) and Talion has been the goodiest goody good diplomatic nice guy. But suddenly when the former is making GBS threads his ghost britches at interacting with a powerful forest...god? entity? (ent-titty? :haw:) the latter is like "gently caress this, I'm going to be an rear end in a top hat for no reason" which leads to being forced to awkwardly spam ghost arrows for 10 minutes at annoying boss monsters.

Part of the problem is that I was using a bow with only 3 arrows, because it was a neat piece of loot I found. Which is yet another issue - on top of special abilities, loot gives you generic power boosts via stats. That's a gameplay loop that doesn't bother me when it leads to shaggy dog stories of me needing to farm up better gear to take out the bodyguard of this one rear end in a top hat orc only to then get into a big scuffle with these two totally unrelated orcs who then :words: but when it comes to the story missions it makes me second-guess whether my dying was down to poor play on my part or a lack of numerical strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Orc stuff is still cool but you spend most of the game dealing with Lord of the Rings lore instead of getting to play with the cool nemesis system.

It's very much two completely different games stapled together.