Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Empress Brosephine posted:

At first I was mad that they would do that to Sol and not just go after the cops I felt like he didn’t “deserve it” but the more I thought about it the more I understand that the attack (imho) wasn’t really about Sol it was about the mindset around the place and what it represented. I read a few theories also that I like to view the ending as. It I wouldn’t say it’s right or wrong - basically, the title of the movie is ironic since no one did the right thing except for Mayor in the whole movie. The other thing that I like the idea behind it but wasn’t sure if it’s true but the fact that Mookie broke the storefront to distract the crowd away from Sol and his family in a way to “protect” them. I dunno, I really liked the Mookie character and feel like he would do something like that.

Mookie throwing the garbage can through the window is about him finally taking action and not standing on the sidelines anymore. Throughout the film, Mookie is constantly just floating by. His girlfriend wants him to take more responsibility with his son, his sister wants him to take his job seriously, and Sal wants him to stop goofing off.

As far as the burning of Sal's goes, it's a complex thing. First, it's not wanton violence, since they only go after his pizzaria. They stop at the Korean grocery. They also don't go after Sal.

Secondly, Sal was the one who escalated the situation with Radio Raheem. He pulled out the bat. He started smashing the radio. He made it into something racial. After all, Radio was just blasting Public Enemy. And Buggin' Out - his boycott was ignored. But it's at that moment that the racial tensions that had always been there come out.

And in that way, the destruction of Sal is symbolic. Throughout the film, Sal doesn't do anything to stop his son from spouting racist nonsense. He won't put one picture of a black person on his wall in a community that is overwhelmingly consisting of people of color. He resorts to racism when he gets angry.

And Radio Raheem is dead. Sal can rebuild. Nobody attacks him on the street the next day. He has a life to rebuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The whole thing was orchestrated by Gus Fring to out his competition in the fast food industry.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I, Butthole posted:

Blue is the Warmest Colour also got a debut home video release from Criterion before any others.

Them having Cold War gives me hope they've also jumped on the slightly better film in the top two 2018 films, Shoplifters. I've been waffling on getting the UK release with the BFI Kore-eda boxset, but maybe I should hold out.

Reminds that I need to clear an evening to watch the Tree of Life again. Just started seeing trailers for a Hidden Life and I hope he has a similar deal with Criterion for that one too.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just blind bought Fanny & Alexander. Hoping it's good. Hoping to squeeze it in before work in a couple of hours. Now to check the movie length on the back of the box and take a big sip of soda.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Reminds that I need to clear an evening to watch the Tree of Life again. Just started seeing trailers for a Hidden Life and I hope he has a similar deal with Criterion for that one too.

Do youself a favor and watch the Criterion Cut. As I mentioned in some other thread it is the definitive version of that film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I definitely expect a To The Wonder, Knight of Cups, and Song to Song...to get a "Three Films By Terrence Malick" box set from Criterion at some point, since they are basically an experimental film trilogy.

A Hidden Life is a different story. Criterion has gotten Fox Searchlight in the past with Malick films, but now it's Disney, so you never know what could happen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Probably four films. Voyage of Time hasn't even had a US home video release and the multiple cuts would be prime for a Criterion. For that matter, it would be an excellent first UHD for them.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Hmm up to now I had heard that the new Criterion cut of The Tree of Life was just ok. One review even said it was detrimental because it adds so much more to the family segment that it makes the movie feel far less experimental than the original cut.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Hmm up to now I had heard that the new Criterion cut of The Tree of Life was just ok. One review even said it was detrimental because it adds so much more to the family segment that it makes the movie feel far less experimental than the original cut.

Yeah, I've read that stuff and I totally disagree. I'd almost say that it ranks as one of the 10 best releases overall in 2018. It's structure is now fundamentally different, to be sure, but it plays out like a fully balanced arc now, and even the Sean Penn stuff feels better in the context of the new runtime. The added footage is amazing and essential, and it feels like a full exploration of the influences of BOTH parents. Whole sections are restored, like the aftermath of a hurricane, the entire relationship arc with the third brother, some dark stuff involving a scene with Ben Chaplain, and a far more contextually convincing swell towards bad behavior for the young Jack. The restored footage makes it play out like something you just have to relax into (eg Tarkovsky) rather than just accepting a longer than average theatrical runtime begrudgingly for three stitched-together short films.

It's the real deal.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Probably four films. Voyage of Time hasn't even had a US home video release and the multiple cuts would be prime for a Criterion. For that matter, it would be an excellent first UHD for them.

gently caress. I would LOVE a criterion of Voyage of Time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Do youself a favor and watch the Criterion Cut. As I mentioned in some other thread it is the definitive version of that film.

That's the one I have, I preordered it as soon as I read about Criterion approaching Malick about financing the alternate cut so that it could be his unfiltered vision. I can honestly say I've never been more affected by a film, just how much of my past self in Jack and how much of my current self I saw in Jack's father.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I definitely expect a To The Wonder, Knight of Cups, and Song to Song...to get a "Three Films By Terrence Malick" box set from Criterion at some point, since they are basically an experimental film trilogy.

A Hidden Life is a different story. Criterion has gotten Fox Searchlight in the past with Malick films, but now it's Disney, so you never know what could happen.

“Okay we’ll let you release this but you have to make Ralph Breaks The Internet a Criterion, too.”
“... can we just have Wreck-It Ralph instead and make it a deal?”
“No.”

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

"but we'd like you to CONSIDER The Good Dinosaur"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The_Rob posted:

I know they’re stupid and free, and they also don’t mean anything but drat it I want my criterion membership card. Any word on when they are sending them out. I wanna be extra pretentious when I’m cutting lines of coke.

This crossed my mind the other day, they said

quote:

Thanks for checking in on this. The cards haven't shipped yet but we do anticipate they'll be sent out in autumn. We'll send an email alert to our Charter Subscribers when they're on the way.

my On Cinema Family card needs a friend

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watched La Verite and Panique today. Both excellent films and not quite what I was expecting. The Blu-rays look incredible, too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1173636372810424322?s=20

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Check out the screencaps for Until the End of the World on Criterion's site. :aaaaa:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
God drat, been waiting years for Until the End of the World.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just finished Berlin Alexanderplatz.

That final episode. :stare:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I haven't seen any of the four, but all look interesting - especially the pre-code The Story of Temple Drake and the remastered Tunes of Glory.

What a fantastic year for Criterion!

For those keeping track, here's the whole year recapped:

January:
24 Frames
Notorious (Blu-ray)
Mikey and Nicky
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
In the Heat of the Night

February:
Shame
Berlin Alexanderplatz (Blu-ray)
La verite
Death in Venice
To Sleep with Anger

March:
The Magic Flute (Blu-ray)
The Kid Brother
Wanda
Detour
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Japon

April:
Stranger than Paradise (Blu-ray)
Night on Earth (Blu-ray)
Diamonds of the Night
A Face in the Crowd
Police Story/Police Story 2
My Brilliant Career

May:
The Heiress
House of Games (Blu-ray)
Funny Games
Let the Sunshine In
Blue Velvet
One Sings, the Other Doesn't

June:
A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman (Blu-ray)
Swing Time
La vie de Jesus
L'humanite
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
War and Peace

July:
The BRD Trilogy (Blu-ray)
Europa Europa
The Baker's Wife
Klute
Do the Right Thing (Blu-ray)

August:
An Angel at My Table (Blu-ray)
The Inland Sea
Magnificent Obsession (Blu-ray)
The Koker Trilogy
The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice

September:
Fists in the Pocket (Blu-ray)
The Cloud-Capped Star
Polyester
Cluny Brown
Local Hero
The Circus

October:
3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg (Blu-ray)
Haxan (Blu-ray)
When We Were Kings
Matewan
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films

November:
The Daytrippers
Betty Blue
Cold War
All About Eve
Now, Voyager

December:
Until the End of the World
The Story of Temple Drake
Tunes of Glory (Blu-ray)
Old Joy

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Raxivace posted:

I just finished Berlin Alexanderplatz.

That final episode. :stare:

I've watched the first five discs and just need to see the last one. Günter Lamprecht's performance is definitely one of my favorites. Sixteen hours gives a great actor time to explore things.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zogo posted:

I've watched the first five discs and just need to see the last one. Günter Lamprecht's performance is definitely one of my favorites. Sixteen hours gives a great actor time to explore things.
I'm not sure how your copy splits up the episodes but you're in for some wild poo poo on that last disc at any rate.

I hadn't seen Lamprecht before in anything but I was pretty impressed with him here. His take on Franz is somehow charismatic, pitiable and childish, and horrifyingly monstrous even compared to some of the other characters here. Like its easy to get drawn into his weird spell and forget what Franz even went to prison for until they start playing THAT flashback over and over and over and over again.

Looking at the rest of the cast, it seems the guy who played Reinhold was in GoldenEye of all things!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Raxivace posted:

I'm not sure how your copy splits up the episodes but you're in for some wild poo poo on that last disc at any rate.

I hadn't seen Lamprecht before in anything but I was pretty impressed with him here. His take on Franz is somehow charismatic, pitiable and childish, and horrifyingly monstrous even compared to some of the other characters here. Like its easy to get drawn into his weird spell and forget what Franz even went to prison for until they start playing THAT flashback over and over and over and over again.

Looking at the rest of the cast, it seems the guy who played Reinhold was in GoldenEye of all things!

Yea, it's one of the fullest performances I've seen with such a broad range of personalities coming through. So many times things seem to be going well and everything backfires for him. Also, he gets sucked up into both Nazism and Communism and it's believable.

I've seen Lamprecht in small roles in these ones: World on a Wire, Das Boot and The Marriage of Maria Braun. World on a Wire is interesting too.

I've been getting the Criterion discs from Netflix so it's just the last episode on the last disc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apparently, people picking up Polyester are reporting the included Odorama card causes the inside of the case to smell bad.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Apparently, people picking up Polyester are reporting the included Odorama card causes the inside of the case to smell bad.

Working as intended?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

One would hope

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Egbert Souse posted:

This just sells me on it more

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

and John Waters in the closet
https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6595-john-waters-closet-picks

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

so....smelly things are...smelly?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is the most John Waters-possible pick

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

John Waters picking FWWM makes me :allears:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

John Waters picking FWWM makes me :allears:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

This warms my heart. Also what the hell is going on with Lynch's pants

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He had probably just gotten back from burying those five Woody Woodpecker dolls in an abandoned field or something like that.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Blast Fantasto posted:

This warms my heart. Also what the hell is going on with Lynch's pants

Just a little spilled garmonbozia.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I wish there was some way to order additional Odorama cards. I want enough to go around if I watch this with friends.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Rollersnake posted:

I wish there was some way to order additional Odorama cards. I want enough to go around if I watch this with friends.

Puff puff pass, dude

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Original odorama cards are pretty common on ebay and still reek fyi

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Big fan of this week's Criterion Channel Double Feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY