Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

cage-free egghead posted:

I guess I should rephrase. We already re-used the old stuff that was end-user equipment but now they're looking at getting brand new machines dedicated for powerpoint presentations.

Heck even they could be like Folding@Home machines or bitcoin miners I'd feel a little better but

We have smart TVs each with a Pi attached that runs dashboards for internal stuff like ticket count, server status, etc. We just load up Chromium and point it at an ASPX page (lol I know) and that's it.

I'm pretty sure Kodi has a Kiosk Mode for something like this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Bonzo posted:

We have smart TVs each with a Pi attached that runs dashboards for internal stuff like ticket count, server status, etc. We just load up Chromium and point it at an ASPX page (lol I know) and that's it.

I'm pretty sure Kodi has a Kiosk Mode for something like this as well.

I wanted to do a RaspPi but our remote management software doesn't support it officially. We've had really good luck with the Elitedesks in the past, as none of them have had any issues for the couple years we've been doing this, it just seems like a big waste of potential computational power. Our manager also cited that we've been extremely under budget the last few years and the company is doing very well, so they can throw money at this in exchange for us not having to spend much time at all on them but the cheapskate in me wants to spend much less and just devote some time towards a smaller footprint solution.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just spend the money. How much time have you put into thinking about an alternative to a known good situation? What's your potential savings? It's not your money. (Yes I've been in big corp IT way to long).

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you haven't already you could look at NUCs, because the cheaper ones are still fairly capable and would come in well under $600 each with an SSD and 4-8GB of RAM. If you have to spend up for one of the i5/i7 models though you might as well go with the Elitedesk.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Yesterday I took a day off of work at my lovely job to work at my potentially new job. Went to their office to do a dry run on a newer process of theirs that the guy that left recently put together and we'll be presenting to a client. It was a loving great day. It's a small consulting company, and within 30 minutes of being there I already felt more like a valued member of the team than I do at my current full time job. It's a bunch of cool people and I'm going to get to work on some really cool security projects. Even today I'm still reeling about the fact that I made more money just hanging out and pitching ideas for processes and giving input on revamping the business than I would have if I just worked the real job.

Also, cheating on a job you hate feels good.

I got to talk timelines and set expectations at well. I feel really good about it, because when I asked what their expected timeline was I was given an immediate "we plan on having you join us full time within 30 days, at the most." Their looking at hiring a manager for the security side of things, and from the sounds of it they may be getting a guy who has some experience in both security and education, and he'll be my boss/mentor, which feels really good.

I guess this is a preemptive :toot:. I'm so excited to get out of the hell hole of working for a family run business rife with issues where I'm forced to know a little about everything and get to go to the consultant world and hone my skills in a few categories. There is still room for me to completely gently caress this up, but I don't think I'm going to. On the other hand, I also have an interview tomorrow that I feel pretty good about and from the sounds of it may pay way more money in the immediate future, but I'd be done pre-sales and (maybe? Recruiters are really dumb and it's hard to tell) post-sale engineering for Google products and that sounds way less fun than doing network and infosec work. I also feel like long term learning more on the infosec side and getting into consulting will probably end up being more lucrative.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’m pretty amazed by blizzard. They underestimated the interest but they’ve been 10000ks better than it was in 2004. I’m fairly sure they’re using containers for zones.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

jaegerx posted:

I’m pretty amazed by blizzard. They underestimated the interest but they’ve been 10000ks better than it was in 2004. I’m fairly sure they’re using containers for zones.

A guy at work took TWO weeks off starting Monday for this, he said he woke up and got in queue at like 5am or something; this person is 34.

I mean, honestly it's whatever but holy poo poo 2 weeks, that's a lot of vacation for a video game. I assume he's going to poopsock into vanilla WoW raids.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MF_James posted:

A guy at work took TWO weeks off starting Monday for this, he said he woke up and got in queue at like 5am or something; this person is 34.

I mean, honestly it's whatever but holy poo poo 2 weeks, that's a lot of vacation for a video game. I assume he's going to poopsock into vanilla WoW raids.

I mean, if it's for a chance to experience WoW for the first time again like you did 15 years ago, I don't see much wrong with that. 2 weeks does seem excessive lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I say use vacation how the gently caress you want to use it and gently caress anyone who cares how you use it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

I say use vacation how the gently caress you want to use it and gently caress anyone who cares how you use it.

This

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

^

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

OTOH if you know him well enough to ship some Depends to his house via Amazon Prime, that could be funny.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

I agree, it's your time, you've earned it, use it how you want; just seems insane to me.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

OTOH if you know him well enough to ship some Depends to his house via Amazon Prime, that could be funny.

Hah if I knew his address I would 100% do this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MF_James posted:

I agree, it's your time, you've earned it, use it how you want; just seems insane to me.

Hah if I knew his address I would 100% do this.

What do you do on your vacations?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sickening posted:

What do you do on your vacations?

Things that aren't meant for the internet.

Look, I get what you're saying, he can do whatever the gently caress he wants with his time and it's not really my business.

I'm also allowed to have thoughts and opinions and express them on our dumb comedy forum, and my thought is "holy poo poo I would not take 2 weeks off of work just to play a video game"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MF_James posted:

Things that aren't meant for the internet.

Look, I get what you're saying, he can do whatever the gently caress he wants with his time and it's not really my business.

I'm also allowed to have thoughts and opinions and express them on our dumb comedy forum, and my thought is "holy poo poo I would not take 2 weeks off of work just to play a video game"

I am sure whatever you do is stupid and pointless and I am glad we could come to that agreement.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sickening posted:

I am sure whatever you do is stupid and pointless and I am glad we could come to that agreement.

Everything everybody does is stupid and useless, so no need to argue or be a dick about it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sickening posted:

Sounds like you care how people use vacations

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MF_James posted:

Everything everybody does is stupid and useless, so no need to argue or be a dick about it.

I am allowed to have opinions and express them on our dumb comedy forum.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

if i wanted 2 weeks of nostalgia I'd just do heroin

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sickening posted:

I am allowed to have opinions and express them on our dumb comedy forum.

Touché good sir

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Let's just all agree that vacations are good and IT people need to be better about using them and disconnecting from work.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Internet Explorer posted:

Let's just all agree that vacations are good and IT people need to be better about using them and disconnecting from work.

Took this Monday off, and didn't realize just how wound up I was until I had the extra day to relax. I've got a two week trip to Japan coming up at the end of September, so kept telling myself last few months is okay to keep pushing myself harder because I'll have a whole two weeks to relax in September NOPE

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Good time to go to japan too. Not too hot and not too cold.
Went in July last year and man it was scorching hot.

But yeah it's important to be able to disconnect from work and just unwind.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sefal posted:

Good time to go to japan too. Not too hot and not too cold.
Went in July last year and man it was scorching hot.

But yeah it's important to be able to disconnect from work and just unwind.

Japan was my favorite destination of all time.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Japan was my favorite destination of all time.

Big Same.

We almost went a third time this year. But we figured we should probably just also explore other countries. As much fun a vacation in japan is.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sefal posted:

Big Same.

We almost went a third time this year. But we figured we should probably just also explore other countries. As much fun a vacation in japan is.

South Korea is also great.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It's on the list

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

South Korea is also great.

Came to post exactly this. I really liked going to Seoul.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm a big fan of Italy

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Missed a chance to go to Japan with my brothers and sister-in-law (she's from Japan), very sad about that.

Asia is (probably) going to be next travel destination, my Mom wants to see Angkor Wat before she can't travel anymore so hopefully we can muster it next year, wife and I are really excited to do it as well obviously.

Going to be on vacation for 2 weeks starting the 21st, not sure how much rest it will be, it's our honeymoon and we're going to Paris->Brussels->Amsterdam->Berlin->Munich->Milan->Rome; feels like I'm going to need a vacation from the vacation, but most of those cities I haven't been to (other than a layover) so I'm really looking forward to it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MF_James posted:

Missed a chance to go to Japan with my brothers and sister-in-law (she's from Japan), very sad about that.

Asia is (probably) going to be next travel destination, my Mom wants to see Angkor Wat before she can't travel anymore so hopefully we can muster it next year, wife and I are really excited to do it as well obviously.

Going to be on vacation for 2 weeks starting the 21st, not sure how much rest it will be, it's our honeymoon trip and we're going to Paris->Brussels->Amsterdam->Berlin->Munich->Milan->Rome; feels like I'm going to need a vacation from the vacation, but most of those cities I haven't been to (other than a layover) so I'm really looking forward to it.

Its expensive, the travel is about as long as it gets, but for international travel that region is just outstanding for me. The food is the best in the world. The locations are beautiful. Just so much to do their that I personally enjoy. If you haven't gone, do yourself a favor and plan it today.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

Going to be on vacation for 2 weeks starting the 21st, not sure how much rest it will be, it's our honeymoon and we're going to Paris->Brussels->Amsterdam->Berlin->Munich->Milan->Rome; feels like I'm going to need a vacation from the vacation, but most of those cities I haven't been to (other than a layover) so I'm really looking forward to it.

For 2 weeks it seems like you'll barely see each city. Rome can easily take 3-4 days. You will spend a lot of time packing your bags and traveling from city to city.
I'd say come say hi when you are in Amsterdam but it's your honeymoon. I can though give you a recommendation of good restaurants.

Sickening posted:

Its expensive, the travel is about as long as it gets, but for international travel that region is just outstanding for me. The food is the best in the world. The locations are beautiful. Just so much to do their that I personally enjoy. If you haven't gone, do yourself a favor and plan it today.
This.
The plane ride is easily the worst. Sitting on your rear end for 12+ hours just sucks. But it's so worth it once you are there.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 29, 2019

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sickening posted:

Yeah, it's been something i want to do, I've been to China but the rest of the region honestly seems so much more interesting, I have a friend that spent 3 weeks in vietnam, cambodia and... somewhere, he said it was amazing. From what I've read the travel is the worst part (money wise and toll it takes on you), once you're there everything is (for the most part) much less expensive than Europe/US/CA etc

Sefal posted:

For 2 weeks it seems like you'll barely see each city. Rome can easily take 3-4 days. You will spend a lot of time packing your bags and traveling from city to city.
I'd say come say hi when you are in Amsterdam but it's your honeymoon. I can though give you a recommendation of good restaurants.

Yeah we're definitely going to miss some things, but I think we're going to hit a lot of big sights and we can always take another trip back to somewhere we want to see more of. We're spending 4 days in Rome, I've been there before so I knew to spend a little extra time there, our time in Brussels/Berlin/Milan is really short (basically 1 day each)

We'll be in Amsterdam for ... 3 nights, I think? We have a friend that just moved out there (actually about 20 minutes outside the city iirc) and we're meeting up with him. Honestly I'd be thrilled to meet up and grab a drink/dinner, do you have PMs?

We're also meeting a family friend and her husband in Berlin for dinner/drinks and my Mom is picking up a trip to Rome to meet us there for dinner and she'll be working our flight back. Which means we're gonna get drunk for free, possibly get bumped to first class but it's doubtful.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tensokuu posted:

I have an interview for the rival health care system in Ann Arbor tomorrow. This might be me getting my foot in the door, even if it means doing Hell Desk for a year or two so that I can put actual paid IT experience on my resume. I had a second level Device Support final interview the other day that I lost out on because I didn't have the required minimum "one year help desk" to do it, and was basically told "Go do help desk and come back to see me and you have a job."

Gotta do my time in the trenches, I guess. Associates(s) in Cybersecurity and Computer Systems and Networking but still getting shot down for positions open locally because of lack of experience (even though I've done things like rebuilt computers on the floor at previous jobs, etc).

So hoping this one works out. It would be a good move for me.

Ohio resident or MSU grad?

(Hope it went well.)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Japan is great, going back for the fifth (!) time in October for 1.5 weeks. Highly recommended!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm going to a remote island chain and will be completely off the grid for a week and a half starting next Saturday. I can't wait.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I did a two week tour of Japan and it ruled. I want to go again and hit Hong Kong too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am so basic when I go to Japan. Fancy Raman, Sushi bars, silly night clubs could be my entire trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Is that basic? We're going to Japan in April and starting our trip at the Disney parks. It was my wife's idea and I don't think she realized how much of a weeb I am. I might come back divorced after spending all of our money on scale models and vending machine underpants.