Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

That book specifically drove up the prices and scarcity of the novels it featured. :(

Because of the popularity of Paperbacks from Hell, Valancourt Books has started reissuing/reprinting the books featured.

http://www.valancourtbooks.com/paperbacksfromhell.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol I'm so watching hell house 3 even if 2 was awfffuulllll

E: the Taking Of Deborah Logan is a cool ff/faux-doc

The first one was so good I'll probably continue watching sequels until it kills me.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

Spider Baby is kind of bad

we are now enemies

e:

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 29, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Irony.or.Death posted:

we are now enemies

e:

THANK YOU!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

we are now enemies

e:

Spider Baby is so good

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

Because of the popularity of Paperbacks from Hell, Valancourt Books has started reissuing/reprinting the books featured.

http://www.valancourtbooks.com/paperbacksfromhell.html

That's awesome, but $17 a book kinda kills the whole idea of finding these pulpy treasures for $3. If it were half the price, then we'd be closer to a sweet spot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I haven't always been much of a fan of Chaney Jr.(I've warmed up to him in recent years) but he's perfect in Spider Baby.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

graventy posted:

The first one was so good I'll probably continue watching sequels until it kills me.

Yeah same, and honestly, 2 started off looking like it was gonna be real good! The scenes of follow up youtubers going in and getting spook a doodled owned, shame about the rest.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Irony.or.Death posted:

we are now enemies

hey, I recommended it didn't I? it's very entertaining and weird and worth watching, but it also makes no sense and the acting is bad. Even Lon Chaney flubs a bunch of his lines.

also Sid Haig looks crazy young in it, I didn't even recognize him until like halfway through the movie

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you don't like Spider Baby I don't like you.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I haven't always been much of a fan of Chaney Jr.(I've warmed up to him in recent years) but he's perfect in Spider Baby.

He’s fully ripened in Spider Baby, for lack of a better word.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Having heard a small mountain of praise for Boxer's Omen, I embarked on a long, cruel search for the film.

It seemed that no legal or otherwise means existed to see this gem. Was is slowly becoming a lost film?

Nah, they posted the drat thing on youtube earlier this month!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wjq43_WpMg

This was one of the very few films that has lived up to it's hype.

It's like a kung-fu flick directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky. No words, they should have sent a poet. See this!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

He’s fully ripened in Spider Baby, for lack of a better word.

Yea the aspect of him that really drove his career(the lovable schlub persona) really only got more and more pronounced as his career went on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OldTennisCourt posted:

I know it's non movie related but any fan of horror needs to pick up Paperbacks from Hell if you like your horror insane, absurd and if you like amazing horror covers. It's a detailed, fun history of pulp paperback horror novels from the 60's to 90's. The worst part thought is there are tons of books I want to pick up but are ether out of print or way overpriced on Amazon.

I need to read the three book series about evil crabs who take over a city and conduct ritualistic sacrifices.

The best part is flipping through it and seeing ones you've read.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have never seen Spider Baby

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I have never seen Spider Baby

It's on Prime.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

It's on Prime.

I don't do Prime

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

OldTennisCourt posted:

books about Cannibal snuff film makers

Gonna need more info about this.

Also a reminder to all that this exists if you're fiending for paperback spooks, search for The 80s Slasher Librarian on Youtube. It's a GOLD MINE.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't do Prime

wtf

Never heard of Spider Baby, guess I'll give it a watch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't do Prime

It's also on Hoopla, Tubi and Fandor

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

wtf

Never heard of Spider Baby, guess I'll give it a watch.

It's very fun. It's by Jack Hill, who is famous for the Pam Grier films Coffy and Foxy Brown, as well as the Corman exploitation films The Big Bird Cage and the Big Doll House (most famous of the women-in-prison movies). Spider Baby is probably his best/most fun besides the Grier films.

Has anyone seen Jack Hill's movie Isle of the Snake People, starring Boris Karloff?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

That's awesome, but $17 a book kinda kills the whole idea of finding these pulpy treasures for $3. If it were half the price, then we'd be closer to a sweet spot.

Yeah, they are a bit pricy for paperback, but ebook's not as bad. I believe they're gearing up for a second batch of books since this first one did pretty well.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

fliptophead posted:

Dunno if this will end up on screens in the States but just heard about Nekrotronik and thought this thread might be interested! Monica Bellucci as a demon succubus who wants to eat the souls of everyone in Sydney? I'm intrigued.

I was maybe a little burnt out on horror comedy when I saw this last year and thought it was a little too stupid for my tastes, but YMMV. Belluci is really excellent in it though. I'd love to see her do more (serious) horror.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I just got the Region B LE of Rabid from 101 Films and was comparing the extras to the Region A from Scream Factory (they're the same 2K scan but totally different extras) here: http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=30837

What's the "Super 8 Version" that's exclusive to the Scandinavian Region B?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was gonna watch Spider Baby for my 1968 movie last October, but the stuff I read made it sound really exploitative and I just had my fill of that by then. So instead I watched...

checks notes

The Astro-Zombies.

I don't always make the right choices.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

It's very fun. It's by Jack Hill, who is famous for the Pam Grier films Coffy and Foxy Brown, as well as the Corman exploitation films The Big Bird Cage and the Big Doll House (most famous of the women-in-prison movies). Spider Baby is probably his best/most fun besides the Grier films.

Has anyone seen Jack Hill's movie Isle of the Snake People, starring Boris Karloff?
#95 for me in last October's challenge. The snake-dancing is arguably the most entertaining part, and even that ends up being pretty forgettable.

Did you ever get those shirts in?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Franchescanado posted:

$17 for a book seems really cheap to me. Like bargain bin prices.

e:
But I'm in Iceland where a beer costs a pound of flesh and a hamburger your immortal soul.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 29, 2019

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

STAC Goat posted:

I was gonna watch Spider Baby for my 1968 movie last October, but the stuff I read made it sound really exploitative and I just had my fill of that by then. So instead I watched...

checks notes

The Astro-Zombies.

I don't always make the right choices.

This just made me think that doing 30 Horror Movies that are also misfits songs maybe possible....

I know they never did Spider-Baby but I believe the Drummers spin-off band did(it was poo poo)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Gaz2k21 posted:

This just made me think that doing 30 Horror Movies that are also misfits songs maybe possible....

Restricting it to Danzig era stuff (the only stuff I know) you could do:

The Misfits
Night of the Living Dead
Where Eagles Dare
Astro-Zombies
Halloween
Halloween 2
Return of the Fly
The Brain Eaters
Blood Feast
The Crimson Ghost

Might have missed one or two. A few aren’t horror obviously.

Edit: okay yeah I don’t listen to that poo poo but it seems like basically 3/4th of their post Danzig songs are named after a movie so you could do 30 no problem.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 30, 2019

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

I was maybe a little burnt out on horror comedy when I saw this last year and thought it was a little too stupid for my tastes, but YMMV. Belluci is really excellent in it though. I'd love to see her do more (serious) horror.

I only heard about it yesterday but I'm gonna try find it in a cinema somewhere.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I saw the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child play for the first time, and it's not all that great.

But man... I did not expect the amount of on stage body horror. There is one scene that involves the lady who sells candy on the trains revealing herself to by this Lovecraftian undying monster and doing this gnarly transformation on stage.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/NYPDnews/status/1166453741924618251

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blast Fantasto posted:

It’s just simple equal weighting

So if you put like

Before 2000
Critically acclaimed
Watch alone (pretty sure this is just isolating romantic movies)
Slasher

It will pump out NOTLD even though it only fits 3/4 because it’s the movie in its pool that fits the most criteria.

I picked Tired, Watch Alone, Before 2000, Low Gore, Critically Acclaimed and Psychological Thriller. It told me to watch Cujo. :shrug:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Why are they @tweeting the IT movie account like it's a promotion?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why are they @tweeting the IT movie account like it's a promotion?

Because late-stage capitalism, that's why

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm holding off on watching any more horror movies until the Halloween challenge starts, it's really hard though because I've got a bunch of really good ones lined up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
weak

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

I'm holding off on watching any more horror movies until the Halloween challenge starts, it's really hard though because I've got a bunch of really good ones lined up.

Why do you deny yourself the pleasures of the flesh?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

You're depriving yourself of the superior rewatches :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do exactly what gey muckle mowser is talking about because I'm an all or nothing kinda person. I have very little self-control unless I just completely deprive myself of something(maybe an addictive personality?). So most of the year I really don't watch any horror unless something new comes out that's getting a lot of discussion. Rewatches outside of the specific thread challenges are verboten.

Imagine if I allowed myself to watch From Beyond willy nilly whenever I felt like it. I'd lose my job and be homeless within a month.