Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

sigher posted:

gently caress yeah, I loved the first game.
I remember playing that game for all of half an hour and spending that time aimlessly walking to the right in an empty 2.5D world before I returned it. I kind of wonder what I missed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cardiovorax posted:

I remember playing that game for all of half an hour and spending that time aimlessly walking to the right in an empty 2.5D world before I returned it. I kind of wonder what I missed now.
You missed some godawful platforming where you jump and hold right, but fall to your death because you shifted 1 inch into the foreground or the background relative to the platform you were aiming for.

E: well, that and some gorgeous visual design. Easily worth putting up with bad gameplay, tbh.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 21, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The first level of Little Nightmares is shockingly bad with these weirdly precise instant death platforming sections with sparse checkpoints. The next level with the janitor is amazing and the janitor is one of the coolest monsters in a horror game. Most of the game is a weird stealth puzzle game, all of the bad precision action happens in the first level which leads me to believe they didn't know the direction they wanted to take it at first.

It's definitely a game worth at least watching because every set piece is really good and it's the closest a video game has gotten to creepy stop motion miniatures in real time, it's like Laika's Coraline in video game form.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

The first level of Little Nightmares is shockingly bad with these weirdly precise instant death platforming sections with sparse checkpoints. The next level with the janitor is amazing and the janitor is one of the coolest monsters in a horror game. Most of the game is a weird stealth puzzle game, all of the bad precision action happens in the first level which leads me to believe they didn't know the direction they wanted to take it at first.

It's definitely a game worth at least watching because every set piece is really good and it's the closest a video game has gotten to creepy stop motion miniatures in real time, it's like Laika's Coraline in video game form.

I reminds me of old shorts that would come on at night on a cartoon channel called Teletoon in Canada - when the channel first started, it was sort of trying to find its place, and after like 10 or so it got more 'adult'. Part of this was also showing stop-motion artsy shorts between shows to fill the airtime. A number of them were just...strange, 'off', in a way. Clay-faced characters, dark shadows everywhere, etc. Little Nightmares reminded me immediately of those shorts, and how uncomfortable they always made me feel.

Anyway, great game with some flaws, but a good, short-ish experience.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Morpheus posted:

Clay-faced characters, dark shadows everywhere, etc. Little Nightmares reminded me immediately of those shorts, and how uncomfortable they always made me feel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sct5j7Quo54

Have some Pingu as an antidote.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel like every single person born in the mid-80s was exposed to The Sandman on MTV and it either inspired your love for the hauntingly surreal or scared the poo poo out of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hz3QB31K_c

And another one of my favorites. If I had infinite time and money I'd make a video game using photographed wood models and stop motion techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xlbvRy2-Kg

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I still havent beaten Little Nightmares but I love watching these little Pyramid Heads scutter

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've been meaning to check out the Lovecraft-inspired Conarium for ages, and if you happen to be around right now you can check it out with me: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

EDIT: Done for tonight, going to finish up next Wednesday night. I wasn't expecting a whole lot but this is really good so far, like it really gets how to translate the horrific implications of Lovecraft's story into gameplay.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 22, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm playing Rule of Rose and while I think I like it the combat is particularly bad. I have a big pipe but I'm pretty sure half of my attacks are just outright missing enemies even when the pipe connects directly with their bodies

It doesn't help that there's always like 10 enemies clustered together and healing items are very, very limited.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That sounds about right for RoR! :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the combat is painful, good luck

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Squiddycat posted:

I'm playing Rule of Rose and while I think I like it the combat is particularly bad. I have a big pipe but I'm pretty sure half of my attacks are just outright missing enemies even when the pipe connects directly with their bodies

It doesn't help that there's always like 10 enemies clustered together and healing items are very, very limited.
Don't fight, run; its super easy to do so because imps don't actually block your way and will straight up sidestep out of your way if you're running past them. The only imps that you should actually fight are the fish imps because they're much easier to kill with the pipe than to try and rush past because they'll punish you for doing that.

There are some fights you can't avoid and my advice to you is that the third hit of the pipe is a guaranteed knockdown, that trick helped out a lot in one of the boss fights.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 28, 2019

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Rule of Rose is possibly the worst video game i have ever played

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I reviewed Rule of Rose. It came with a walkthrough written by the developer and a DVD-R with 'RULE OF ROSE' sharpied on it.

Yeah, not a good game. Weird, interesting story, but the gameplay was just bad.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What horror games have genuinely good combat?

The only one I can think of is Condemned. I've heard the Evil Within 2 is pretty good.

Not that combat being a slog can't be a good way to enforce that you shouldn't be fighting at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The gameplay of The Evil Within 2 is pretty much the same as TWI1 except you actually get to go somewhere that isn't linear corridors sometimes. Like maybe 60-ish% or so by the clock, if you're going through the game at normal pace and don't spend inordinate amounts of time futzing around in the open-world parts of the map. If you didn't like the first game's combat, you probably won't like TWI2's any better.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

What horror games have genuinely good combat?

The only one I can think of is Condemned. I've heard the Evil Within 2 is pretty good.

Not that combat being a slog can't be a good way to enforce that you shouldn't be fighting at all.

Resident Evil 4.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dead space

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

oldpainless posted:

Dead space (minus using the flamethrower)

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Cardiovorax posted:

The gameplay of The Evil Within 2 is pretty much the same as TWI1 except you actually get to go somewhere that isn't linear corridors sometimes. Like maybe 60-ish% or so by the clock, if you're going through the game at normal pace and don't spend inordinate amounts of time futzing around in the open-world parts of the map. If you didn't like the first game's combat, you probably won't like TWI2's any better.

I felt like TEW2 is basically a last of us clone in the gameplay department.

Also Control is fantastic and everyone should buy it and play it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Spite posted:

I felt like TEW2 is basically a last of us clone in the gameplay department.
Really only in regards to the whole zombie stabbing aspect, once you get out of the town area the rest of it is pretty different.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cardiovorax posted:

I liked using traps and blowing up barrels and poo poo to efficiently kill guys in TWI2 (why are we using this acronym) but yeah it still felt like "good combat for a survival horror game" and not "good combat"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As I recall, you can actually lag cancel any attack in Rule of Rose by starting a swing, then letting go of the ready button. Makes combat *much* less irritating

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yeah I was in one of the forced combat sequences in a small room against big scissor wielding kids when I got tore apart

I may just cheat invincibility before continuing because some random internet guy said it increased his enjoyment by 100% and I of course trust him

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Squiddycat posted:

Yeah I was in one of the forced combat sequences in a small room against big scissor wielding kids when I got tore apart

I may just cheat invincibility before continuing because some random internet guy said it increased his enjoyment by 100% and I of course trust him
The Goat Sisters can be rather annoying (I died several times to them, the most in my playthrough), that strategy I mentioned applies to the fight though and makes it manageable. Just hit one of the sisters with the third hit of the pipe and do the same to the other with the first is still getting up. That way they can't double-team you.

Cheating is fine though if it lets you experience the rest of the game, which is fantastic.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 29, 2019

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
The only fight I remember absolutely loathing in Rule of Rose was against the mermaid....gently caress, that fight was miserable.

Still a more enjoyable experience than some poo poo I've played, like 'The Note'. A first person PS1 survival horror title with limited resources might seem interesting, especially when hearing about it's unique control scheme but everything about it is tedious. Timed obtuse puzzles centering around a weird day/night mechanic, having a finite amount of space for items to keep your lighting going and if the lighting goes out...poo poo goes super south. Then fighting enemies is hosed cause there's no gun reticle and enemies are either super fast, super small, or both, and yeah, still a finite amount of space to fight the respawning enemies. And to top it all off that unique control scheme...it's unique in that your usable items are forced into being mapped to the face buttons and only the face buttons, but also you have to map certain adventure game interactions (like open or examine) to those same face buttons. And as you can imagine, there are more items and actions than there are face buttons on a PS1 controller; so you're constantly having to re-assign poo poo and the menu to do this takes time to load.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I was on board with The Note until the the timed stuff happened. That kind of mechanic really kills my enjoyment of a game. The limited resources are enough of a pressure on the player. There's really no need for it to be like that. I'm glad that that kind of thing mostly died out after the 90's.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Yeah that's my biggest beef with the horror game subgenre as a whole, is that the vast majority of them feel the need to be frustratingly difficult in an attempt to raise the stakes. I can probably count the number of horror games I actually get to finishing on one hand. I'm looking at you Siren, you are so good but so hard.

EDIT: To be fair I guess that trend has sort of changed in recent years to the opposite end of the spectrum, with a lot of horror being in the walking simulator genre, though that's too much non-gameplay for me as well. A happy balance for me tends to just be one that's tense but forgiving. Resident Evil 2 on easy was like perfect for me. More of that, please.

Bert of the Forest fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 29, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bert of the Forest posted:

Yeah that's my biggest beef with the horror game subgenre as a whole, is that the vast majority of them feel the need to be frustratingly difficult in an attempt to raise the stakes. I can probably count the number of horror games I actually get to finishing on one hand. I'm looking at you Siren, you are so good but so hard.

EDIT: To be fair I guess that trend has sort of changed in recent years to the opposite end of the spectrum, with a lot of horror being in the walking simulator genre, though that's too much non-gameplay for me as well. A happy balance for me tends to just be one that's tense but forgiving. Resident Evil 2 on easy was like perfect for me. More of that, please.
Along those lines, over the years I came to realize that for how much everyone still talks up System Shock 2 (And it is still a lot of fun.) a lot of people seem ashamed of "And also you were a spectacular badass. Plus isn't it great respawning costs as much as a can of soda even in universe?" Gaming culture on the subject of fear/survival has become such, that asking for a sharp wooden stick in a game with mech suits you can Rodeo monsters to death with still get boilerplate Call of Duty hot takes. It's really fascinating.

That said. To be fair it IS a lot harder to nail that balancing act of agency and fear. But with so many instant death or "Look how hosed up that is!" measures in gaming, it's easy to forget how effective being surprised by something you can easily deal with is.

In spite of being the least problem in SS2, I still remember my run ins with the first cryo and pyro monkeys making me look like a loving idiot. That first honest moment of wild panic and :wtc: , and then the realization the biggest danger was you being an incompetent rube :doh: You can't dismiss it's initial impact on you, like you can something you later realize was only dangerous because you had your hands tied behind your back.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
If people are looking for some cheap horror games, humble has a somewhat good bundle right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/spooky-horror-2019-bundle?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_1

Butcher for a buck, Darkwood for $4.30, and for those that want to try Agony, it's in there for a buck.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Cardiovorax posted:

Really only in regards to the whole zombie stabbing aspect, once you get out of the town area the rest of it is pretty different.

that's true. it's like tlou in the open areas and is like a bit more responsive version of the first in the linear parts.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

If people are looking for some cheap horror games, humble has a somewhat good bundle right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/spooky-horror-2019-bundle?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_1

Butcher for a buck, Darkwood for $4.30, and for those that want to try Agony, it's in there for a buck.

$1 for Agony seems too much.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

discworld is all I read posted:

Town of Light doesn't really fit in with the others but is a very good, very depressing experience.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I wanted to like Darkwood so bad but drat does it kill the cool atmosphere to sit in my house for way to long each night

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 30, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Survival games must be a nightmare to balance. If I was designing one the game would just skip time when you’re not in danger. Imagine a D&D encounter chart but you also get fake outs so the banging on your door could be a monster one night and the wind the other but in either case once the event is resolved you move to the next day.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I wasn't interested in the Blair Witch game....but now that it's out the reviews for it are pretty good, and it has replay value with endings; but like most who played Until Dawn I was also looking forward to Dark Pictures (1): Man of Medan, which seems like they course-corrected from The Inpatient and returned to form. So now the question is, if one's on a budget, which game comes first, and which gets wishlisted until the Halloween sales?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man of Medan is supposed to be an anthology I believe so it’ll probably get discounted with the next release in six months or whatever.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Already beat Blair Witch. Good spooks but I didn't need another goddamn piece of horror media where the protagonist Did A Bad Thing

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

Already beat Blair Witch. Good spooks but I didn't need another goddamn piece of horror media where the protagonist Did A Bad Thing

You can blame the Silent Hill 2 Fanboys for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

al-azad posted:

Man of Medan is supposed to be an anthology I believe so it’ll probably get discounted with the next release in six months or whatever.

Yeah, plus I just can't 100% buy into the claim that they're going to be totally separate/independent games with zero threads connecting them; if that were the case, why bother with the Dark Pictures label at all, in favor of just putting out the games with their own titles?