Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Tsuyu also got kicked through a wall by Hank McCoy and still managed to recover win the match. Froppy is tough.

Jirou did well in her match too, and Uraraka was the MVP of the last match while Ashido ended it with a sick shoryuken.

Really, it was only Momo and Hagakure who disappointed in that arc.

Momo did fine, Hagakure punted hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Momo has underperformed throughout the series, because people have expected more from her the second they explained her quirk. Hagakure has been a gag character with a moment or two as an exception to that.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
One day Momo will just create a plain gun and it will beat, like, 85% of all quirks.

I really hope they are coming up with a big, earned win for her in a serious situation.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Momo will self radicalize and dedicate herself to undermining the economic basis of the static hero society by abusing her quirk, thus making her the traitor and the true hero of the series

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Has Momo gotten a clean win ever?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

She could’ve blown Kendo’s head clean off, does that count?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

She could’ve blown Kendo’s head clean off, does that count?
I don't think it does because that was never her intention.

She lost because she had to deliver some items to Tokoyami and the only way she could think to do it was with a full size old timey loving cannon. It was good for spectacle but wow what a tremendous waste of energy.

and then he lost anyway and oh my god no why did you all remind me of that god awful match

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
She and Todoroki took down Aizawa. And that win was fully thanks to her.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Funky Valentine posted:

Does that filler episode with the tea girl count?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I feel like Momo could have lost just fine to any number of people with creative quirks, but that losing to someone who's ability is just 'hand is big' is ridiculous. There were so many ways Momo could have won that one on one fight that it just seems dumb. Plenty of things she could have generated that would have made it a bad idea to come in direct physical contact with her.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mulderman posted:

She and Todoroki took down Aizawa. And that win was fully thanks to her.

That win was mostly because Todoroki convinced her not to suck for a second, tho.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Momo has the same problem that speedsters do with other comics. That if she was to really use her powers then she will break most encounters.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Didn't Aizawa let her win that fight because she needed a confidence boost?

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Yes.

Also regarding the Class A vs B matches, it just confirmed that Mina's power isn't acid. It's sweet uppercuts.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I feel like Momo could have lost just fine to any number of people with creative quirks, but that losing to someone who's ability is just 'hand is big' is ridiculous. There were so many ways Momo could have won that one on one fight that it just seems dumb. Plenty of things she could have generated that would have made it a bad idea to come in direct physical contact with her.

Kendo is really cool and strong though

Didn’t she defeat the guy with the most powerful superpower of all, i.e. owning and using a gun?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The fact that you're implying that it would be fine if she'd lost to someone with a more 'creative' quirk makes it feel like you're saying 'more broadly applicable/more complicated is better' and that 'the one with the better quirk should win'. IMO both of those are wrong.

It's totally logical that someone who's quirk is very simple, direct, and powerful at close range would have a strong advantage when they've got someone cornered at close range. Being smarter doesn't make you better at fighting, fighting a lot makes you better at fighting.

Now, logical or not, whether you find that narratively satisfying is another story. :shrug:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers: the kids are back. the opening page is even them putting the hero back in the title.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Don't be sad it's over, smile because it happeend

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really appreciate that Hori continues to keep his arcs pretty tightly paced.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Crasical posted:

The fact that you're implying that it would be fine if she'd lost to someone with a more 'creative' quirk makes it feel like you're saying 'more broadly applicable/more complicated is better' and that 'the one with the better quirk should win'. IMO both of those are wrong.

It's totally logical that someone who's quirk is very simple, direct, and powerful at close range would have a strong advantage when they've got someone cornered at close range. Being smarter doesn't make you better at fighting, fighting a lot makes you better at fighting.

Now, logical or not, whether you find that narratively satisfying is another story. :shrug:

true but everyone going 'im not going out like momo!' right after it didnt help her. All the other recommended students actually did something while momo hosed up her plan and 1 on 1 fight . uraraka and jiro really showed out in the battle arc (and jiro was in the bottom 3 girls up until that point so lord knows she needed it)

mina didnt really count for me because she didnt pass my basic 'did you do more than mineta' bar that i've established before the stain arc, still is nowhere close to momo or hagakure tier though

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
also before anyone tries bullying me ive perfectly power scaled the rest of the cast too with my master level shonen analyzing skills

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think Momo has shown a lot of growth in what we see of her but her appearances where she actually has to do stuff have been infrequent enough that it's kind of annoying that she essentially has sorta won one fight.

She's had issues with snap decision-making and planning and has gotten progressively better to where she started with a solid battle plan for her joint training match, but she has no confidence in herself to win a fight and thinks "Oh I can just be helpful to everyone else". If she had more confidence in herself as a combatant, she could've squared up with Kendo and won but instead she assumed she was going to lose in a melee battle from the word go. Basically- we'll know if this the case for her development if the next fight she gets has her fighting on her own and winning.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
It'd be interesting if Momo washed out of the hero program. She came in with a recommendation, is obviously a genius, and everybody recognizes how powerful she could be, but in the end maybe she's just not cut out for hero work. They've given her more than enough opportunities to shine. Live up to your reputation, Eraser.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

it'd be hard for her to wash out bc even as a noncombatant she could show up on the scene and make whatever's necessary.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mirage posted:

Live up to your reputation, Eraser.

I hope he doesn't because Aizawa's reputation is dumb.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fabricated posted:

I think Momo has shown a lot of growth in what we see of her but her appearances where she actually has to do stuff have been infrequent enough that it's kind of annoying that she essentially has sorta won one fight.

She's had issues with snap decision-making and planning and has gotten progressively better to where she started with a solid battle plan for her joint training match, but she has no confidence in herself to win a fight and thinks "Oh I can just be helpful to everyone else". If she had more confidence in herself as a combatant, she could've squared up with Kendo and won but instead she assumed she was going to lose in a melee battle from the word go. Basically- we'll know if this the case for her development if the next fight she gets has her fighting on her own and winning.

I get the sentiment but "we'll know if this is bad next time" is almost never the right answer when talking about serialized fiction. It sucks right now, that's the problem.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like Momo has the same problem that speedsters do with other comics. That if she was to really use her powers then she will break most encounters.

I feel like the web serial Worm is one of few superhero settings to deal with speed powers in a way that makes sense. It has a character who can shift into a form with super speed, but at the cost of losing his ability to significantly affect the world (i.e. his rapid punches when shifted only hit someone like a gust of wind, he can't lift or push anything, etc). You pretty much have to create some sort of "catch" to keep any sort of speed power that includes increased perception work, since otherwise it doesn't make sense for anyone to be able to touch them (unless they also have speed powers).

Momo's situation actually isn't as bad, since it at least requires her to think of what to create, and creating stuff takes a non-trivial amount of time. So she can be caught off guard, and if someone comes up with an answer to whatever she has on hand, she often won't have enough time to create anything else that she hasn't prepared beforehand.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I absolutely don't accept "Momo's Quirk is too powerful so it's difficult to write a good fight with her in it." I Can Make Stuff is not exactly an absurd superpower.

I can totally accept "Horikoshi is bad at writing fights with her in it" however, because that seems to be a closer reflection of reality.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blockhouse posted:

I absolutely don't accept "Momo's Quirk is too powerful so it's difficult to write a good fight with her in it." I Can Make Stuff is not exactly an absurd superpower.

I can totally accept "Horikoshi is bad at writing fights with her in it" however, because that seems to be a closer reflection of reality.

It's not too powerful but it's absolutely too broad, I think.

Though we haven't really seen much in the way of really clever applications anyhow.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Going by the rules of her quirk that we've been given so far, there's nothing stopping her from blowing up the whole world with antimatter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momo's quirk is incredibly powerful but that doesn't necessarily mean she understands its limits, how best to use it, or when best to use certain things. That's actually the irony of a lot of quirks: The most unique and diverse they are, the harder it is to really find out what they can do. Look at the guy from Vigilantes who actually has a pretty rockass power that never really became clear until he spent a ton of time pushing his limits, or the entire My Villain arc where it became clear most of these guys can do a *lot* more than they think, they just had no reason to.

Momo can theoretically do a lot of things but that doesn't help much if she doesn't focus on getting really good at *some* things. Having too diverse a Quirk seems to cause that problem as the characters who have really good well-rounded abilities rarely seem to use them as well as someone who can do one specific thing REALLY well.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Momo's quirk is incredibly powerful but that doesn't necessarily mean she understands its limits, how best to use it, or when best to use certain things. That's actually the irony of a lot of quirks: The most unique and diverse they are, the harder it is to really find out what they can do. Look at the guy from Vigilantes who actually has a pretty rockass power that never really became clear until he spent a ton of time pushing his limits, or the entire My Villain arc where it became clear most of these guys can do a *lot* more than they think, they just had no reason to.

Momo can theoretically do a lot of things but that doesn't help much if she doesn't focus on getting really good at *some* things. Having too diverse a Quirk seems to cause that problem as the characters who have really good well-rounded abilities rarely seem to use them as well as someone who can do one specific thing REALLY well.

Yeah, I mean, look at Shouto. So far, he mostly just uses his Quirk for long-range attacks, defense, environmental manipulation, and movement, when he could be using them to assist with melee fighting. Use his ice half to create swords or axes or lances of ice, etc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Classic creativity problem. Constraints lead to far more creativity than unbound limitations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Momo also shows very little confidence in her abilities outside her Quirk. So when someone gets around her initial object or plan she routinely shows a tendency to panic and give up.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

New Chapter (Jaimini)

I missed this trio.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

uhhhh

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Forget the kids, who is that Dracula-rear end motherfucker on page 6?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Patware posted:

uhhhh

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh hey, I remember that theory. Everyone said it was crazy.

Also, I see that Mineta still has PTSD from Mt Lady. And Todoroki is adorable.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Patware posted:

uhhhh

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Okay, I need more of a hint than that, what's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

Okay, I need more of a hint than that, what's going on?

Kaminari is throwing the Liberation Army's gangsign.

Considering there's traitor theories about him already, this is even more suggestive than it would normally be.