Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

xzzy posted:

Don't forget that BBQ place in Estes after coming down from a hike. Heavy meat feels loving goooood after hard work.

Smokin' Dave's Taphouse? :cheers: They have fantastic hot links.

Picnic Princess, if you are bringing traction devices I highly recommend Sky Pond. Loch Vale in general is pretty great, but very windy. Too bad it'll be too early for the lakes to have really frozen over reliably; snowshoeing over them is one of my fave winter activities. You should also def. check out Chasm Lake at the base of Longs' Peak. All those other little lake hikes are kind of easy snoozers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone been to Lake Superior Provincial Park? Taking my son up there in October for a long weekend, looking for some cool stuff. Pictographs are on the list, a few waterfalls, some fishing.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Yooper posted:

People tend to be pretty chill, even stealth camping and all. This weekend is the Marquette Trail 50 Ultramarathon, I work the aid stations and tend to not care what most folks do as long as they pick up after themselves.

The area has a weird mish-mash of cultures, on one side is the healthy-hiking-outdoorsy types who are mostly white collar or students. On the other is the miners and blue collar folks who you'll find on side by sides, dirt bikes, trucks, and such. Both have a vested interest in maintaining the outdoors but the cultural clash between the two groups can get ugly. Luckily most of the trails are too rough even for the stoutest our 4x4 vehicles. All in all it's a good area.

I went hunting for hogback mountain after sugarloaf and bailed when it started getting a bit too sketchy for my car on the road. This was coming up from Presque Island.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Thanks everyone! I'll remember to bring our microspikes. I imagine one of the days we'll be pretty hung over (wedding) but it's not like I haven't done a good hike to ignore the suffering before.

xzzy posted:

Don't forget that BBQ place in Estes after coming down from a hike. Heavy meat feels loving goooood after hard work.

I was eyeing Smokin Dave's, I don't eat meat very often but when I do it's precisely for this reason.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

Anyway, I'll be in Estes Park, Colorado for a couple days in early November. What are the Must Do trails that are available that time of year, and some that are possibles depending on the weather? I've never been to that park before and have no clue what to expect.

Seconding Sky Pond. Should be doable in early Nov no problem.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Yooper posted:

Anyone been to Lake Superior Provincial Park? Taking my son up there in October for a long weekend, looking for some cool stuff. Pictographs are on the list, a few waterfalls, some fishing.

Went there years ago and loved it. Some of the others in the group had a rough go of it with poor planning and improper planning but it it was worth the trip.

Can’t tell you if anything has changed in the 15 years since tho.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Has anyone here thru hiked the Superior Hiking Trail?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I ended up doing camelback in Phoenix. Needed lots of water, sunscreen, hat, etc.

It was 100 degrees :black101:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Rolo posted:

I ended up doing camelback in Phoenix. Needed lots of water, sunscreen, hat, etc.

It was 100 degrees :black101:

You're nuts, I would never. But good for ya!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I set a new personal record of cumulative elevation gain in a day on a recent hike, then stuffed my face with a big philly cheesesteak

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
They put a restaurant at the top of Petronas Twin Towers?

Well how much ascent was it?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
On the way to the summit it was around 7400 ft, combined with the way back it was over 8200 feet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I know I’m asking recommendations all the time but this time I’m in Montreal for 4 days. I’m willing to drive out of the city.

Anyone know any neato 4-7 mile hikes to get me away from it all? I didn’t bring a lot of gear so I can’t really go 10mi from the car or anything.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Hotel Kpro posted:

On the way to the summit it was around 7400 ft, combined with the way back it was over 8200 feet.
Very nice. :respek: I doubled Mailbox Peak and Mt Si a few years ago; ended up at 2470m ascent in 12.8mi. Not flat.

Here's to feeling like you've earned the food.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I just ordered a Helinox Chair Zero. This was either a really dumb idea, or extremely overdue and I don’t know which.

Oh, also I had a problem on my trip with my Gravityworks filter. Filled the dirty reservoir, got rid of as much air as possible in the hose, and still got nothing but a drip. It took hours filter 4L. I wound up calling Cascade Designs and the guy on the phone said it could be an air locked filter from disuse, and to soak it for a few days. Test your filters before you head out, folks.

Anyway, camping is cool and good.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Dangerllama posted:

I just ordered a Helinox Chair Zero. This was either a really dumb idea, or extremely overdue and I don’t know which.

Oh, also I had a problem on my trip with my Gravityworks filter. Filled the dirty reservoir, got rid of as much air as possible in the hose, and still got nothing but a drip. It took hours filter 4L. I wound up calling Cascade Designs and the guy on the phone said it could be an air locked filter from disuse, and to soak it for a few days.

Try blowing into the clean hose straight into the filter. You should see bubbles in the dirty bag. Thats been the best way of getting things back to normal for me.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Oh, also I had a problem on my trip with my Gravityworks filter. Filled the dirty reservoir, got rid of as much air as possible in the hose, and still got nothing but a drip. It took hours filter 4L. I wound up calling Cascade Designs and the guy on the phone said it could be an air locked filter from disuse, and to soak it for a few days. Test your filters before you head out, folks.

Quick follow up to this. After soaking the filter in a bowl of water for two days, I assembled the system and tried filtering some tap water. Full flow was completely restored.

Verman posted:

Try blowing into the clean hose straight into the filter. You should see bubbles in the dirty bag. Thats been the best way of getting things back to normal for me.

Curious. The manual says that if you can blow from the clean hose and make bubbles into the dirty bag the filter is compromised.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

I've got two and it's both. I'm not going to drag it on a multiday backpacking trip, but on a shorter overnight or car camping they're great. I also use it hunting for long glassing sessions. They pack down pretty small and don't weigh a ton and are way more comfortable than just a sitting pad.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Did a 22km hike up (1 km vertical gain) the CMC valley to the top of a ridge line for some more geology. Have a picture from the top. I'm going to go collapse now

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Footwear: I have a pair of hiking boots (these ones: [url] https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/mens-hedgehog-trek-gtx-boots-2ux1?variationId=TCP[/url]) that have always served me well; I usually in Scotland so waterproofing, ankle support and a good midpoint to jam on granite is ideal. They’re vibram soles.

However I’ve been walking in the Peak District recently - lots of limestone. Yesterday I had to scramble down a river gully and the damp limestone slabs were absolutely lethal. I ended up going barefoot to avoid unintentional swims. Does anyone have any recommendations for very grippy boots/shoes?
Great views though:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Juche Couture posted:

Footwear: I have a pair of hiking boots (these ones: [url] https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/mens-hedgehog-trek-gtx-boots-2ux1?variationId=TCP[/url]) that have always served me well; I usually in Scotland so waterproofing, ankle support and a good midpoint to jam on granite is ideal. They’re vibram soles.

However I’ve been walking in the Peak District recently - lots of limestone. Yesterday I had to scramble down a river gully and the damp limestone slabs were absolutely lethal. I ended up going barefoot to avoid unintentional swims. Does anyone have any recommendations for very grippy boots/shoes?
Great views though:

Do they still make 5.10 stealth rubber soled boots?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Juche Couture posted:

Great views though:

The boots you own feature vibram soles which I've always found to be one of the grippier soles on rock. Maybe they're older and the rubber is hardening or just worn out. There aren't a ton of shoes that are meant to grip wet rock, its always going to be slippery. In areas that get a lot of precipitation or moisture, the rocks can develop a moss or slime on them that when wet, make it as slick as ice. Its just a thing to pay attention to when hiking/scrambling.

Maybe start looking at approach shoes which tend to straddle the line between hiking shoes and climbing shoes. The problem with them is they aren't typically meant for really long rugged hikes as they're almost always low top shoes resembling a casual sneaker more than a rugged hiker. The soles also don't typically have deep lugs for mud.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Juche Couture posted:

Great views though:

I prefer boots usually, but the tread on something like the saucony peregrine (light trail running shoe) is pretty amazing. Just Google image search to get an idea what it looks like. I honestly can't remember ever slipping in them.

If anyone has ideas for a boot tread that would be as good I'd be curious to hear about it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
It's important to realize that vibram makes a TON of different rubber soles. The different compounds have totally different characteristics. A softer, grippier rubber will stick more, but wear out faster. The suggestion of approach shoes is a good one, or climbing oriented boots (like the Scarpa zodiac gtx plus).

Edit: https://eu.vibram.com/en/technology/compounds/

I don't know what rubber is on the hedgehogs. The zodiacs use vibram "drumlin" which I think is only used by Scarpa but is a relatively soft sticky compound. There's a variation of the zodiac that uses an even softer rubber as well.

armorer fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 28, 2019

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Cheers folks, I like the idea of an approach shoe as most of the walks I do around here aren’t that long (I could even put them in my pack if I’m doing a long moorland approach with some scrambling; other than water I’m carrying basically no weight).

...this is how people end up with hundreds of pairs of boots, isn’t it.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
might be too heavy for hiking, but holy poo poo, these have 3x the grip of any vibram sole I've ever used, specially on wet rock.

you can walk among boulders like the terminator, not even caring about cracks or bumps or getting your foot stuck in a narrow hole while carrying 70lb on your back and paddles on each hand. if anyone has portaged through the less popular quetico portages you know what I mean.

I have these:
https://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/products/caney-fork-wading-boot

They also have this
https://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/chota-outdoor-gear/chota-quetico-trekker-1834

And a 'light' version, which if they have the same sole, would be awesome for hiking

ogarza fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 28, 2019

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

ogarza posted:

might be too heavy for hiking, but holy poo poo, these have 3x the grip of any vibram sole I've ever used, specially on wet rock.

you can walk among boulders like the terminator, not even caring about cracks or bumps or getting your foot stuck in a narrow hole. if anyone has portaged through the less popular quetico portages you know what I mean.

https://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/products/caney-fork-wading-boot

They may be great, but whatever rubber they're using is not going to be as sticky as the vibram rubbers used in the boots I mentioned, or as the stealth c4 rubber used on something like the guide tennie.

"Vibram sole" really doesn't mean anything without context. The vibram sole on a pair of linesman boots would be pretty bad for climbing. Unless you've specifically worn approach shoes or alpine boots with a sticky rubber vibram sole, you won't have encountered that particular rubber compound on any other pair of boots. (Mostly because it sacrifices other things, like general durability and oil resistance, in order to be as sticky as it is.)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Juche Couture posted:

Great views though:

As armorer pointed out there are many different vibram sole compounds. Some are quite stiff and not terribly grippy, instead being optimized for durability, maintaining deep lugs, and working OK at low temperature (like the ones I have on my winter boots). And on the other end there are the compounds used on rock shoes which are extremely grippy but wear very quickly.

Bearing in mind that basically no shoe is going to perform great on wet smooth limestone, if you want the grippier sole you've got basically two options:

Option one is approach shoes. These come in many shapes and with different sole compounds, but you can find some with extremely grippy soles using rock shoe rubber. Personally I like the La Sportiva TX series, but there are lots of options. Five ten guide tennies and Scarpa Crux are also very popular. As Verman points out, these are mostly low profile shoes, and since they are designed to be hiking shoes with acceptable climbing performance, they often don't have lugs that are as deep or aggressive as many hiking boots. This can be an issue on e.g. mud or slick turf. But, regardless of the type of rubber used, a sole optimized to be as grippy as possible on rocks will try to maximize surface area and therefore have less aggressive lugs. Approach shoes often have a "sticky dot" tread design that is a good compromise between contact surface area on rock and enough of a lug pattern to be usable as a hiking shoe, plus a smooth "climbing zone" around the toe and outer forefoot.

Option two is an alpine boot / light summer mountaineering boot that has a stickier tread compound. Boots like la sportiva trango tower/tech, scarpa charmoz, or salewa crow are generally made with a stickier (though considerably faster wearing) sole compound than most hiking boots. However these boots are usually pretty stiff (being made to support crampons), and are therefore imo not optimal for traction on slabs, where having a softer shoe that can conform to the rock helps. These also tend to be very expensive, and not comfortable to hike in if you aren't used to stiff boots. On the other hand they do have very good "all round" performance in a variety of steep terrain and excellent waterproofing. For light mountaineering boots that aren't terribly stiff, Salomon has some attractive options, but I hesitate to recommend them for slick smooth rock since their proprietary tread compound has a reputation for poor performance on wet rock.

Overall I'd recommend giving approach shoes a try, if maximum grip is your priority.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also, since your mother clearly isn't in this thread, I feel compelled to tell you that you shouldn't be standing on that.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Internet Explorer posted:

Also, since your mother clearly isn't in this thread, I feel compelled to tell you that you shouldn't be standing on that.
"Mom, it's Photoshopped".

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Hello! New to this thread as I just discovered it but I'll try and start adding some pics of my adventures in the White Mountains of NH; My fiance currently holds all the pictures hostage on her phone or I'd put some up now...

Anyways, question for all of you; What's the best way to eliminate heel slip in a new pairs of boots? I have oddly shaped feet and ideally take a 12.5 W, but almost no shoe company on the planet makes these apparently. I just scored some LL Beans off ebay that are 13 W but are SLIGHTLY too big and I am noticing a bit of chaff on the back of my heels while breaking them in this week at work (I walk 2-3 miles around the office on most days so it's a decent testing ground.) I tried doubling up my socks and that seems to work reasonably well, but I don't really want to use double layers unless it is under 50. Planning on doing around 30 miles this weekend and really don't want to end up with two giant blisters instead of feet since that would probably kill most of my plans.

I've read that thicker insoles can help, but I really don't know what brands are decent or even what kinds might be ideal for taking up a bit of extra space. Any advice? (Hoping the advice isn't going to be "Get smaller shoes" because these are insanely comfortable aside from the slight slipping).

As an aside I also scored some size 13 Lowa Renegade III GTX LO's for cheap and holy crap they are the most uncomfortable shoes I have ever tried on. They also grip like ice skates; I found them losing traction in a slight rain on PAVEMENT.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Person Dyslexic posted:

Hello! New to this thread as I just discovered it but I'll try and start adding some pics of my adventures in the White Mountains of NH; My fiance currently holds all the pictures hostage on her phone or I'd put some up now...

Anyways, question for all of you; What's the best way to eliminate heel slip in a new pairs of boots? I have oddly shaped feet and ideally take a 12.5 W, but almost no shoe company on the planet makes these apparently. I just scored some LL Beans off ebay that are 13 W but are SLIGHTLY too big and I am noticing a bit of chaff on the back of my heels while breaking them in this week at work (I walk 2-3 miles around the office on most days so it's a decent testing ground.) I tried doubling up my socks and that seems to work reasonably well, but I don't really want to use double layers unless it is under 50. Planning on doing around 30 miles this weekend and really don't want to end up with two giant blisters instead of feet since that would probably kill most of my plans.

I've read that thicker insoles can help, but I really don't know what brands are decent or even what kinds might be ideal for taking up a bit of extra space. Any advice? (Hoping the advice isn't going to be "Get smaller shoes" because these are insanely comfortable aside from the slight slipping).

As an aside I also scored some size 13 Lowa Renegade III GTX LO's for cheap and holy crap they are the most uncomfortable shoes I have ever tried on. They also grip like ice skates; I found them losing traction in a slight rain on PAVEMENT.

Superfeet are pretty popular for insoles. There are also volume reducers that are meant to go under the insole.

For heel slip, reducing volume from above, at the instep, is often a better solution. Look for tongue inserts / tongue shims / tongue pads / instep inserts. Or just general purpose adhesive boot fitting foam used for ski boots. You could probably achieve the same thing by cutting an appropriately sized piece of foam and securing it with tape or something.

For minor heel slip, lacing adjustments can sometimes be helpful (i.e. lacing the boot so its tighter right over your instep), but I've found this to be mostly another non-solution up there with "wear 3 pairs of socks".

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Morbus posted:

For minor heel slip, lacing adjustments can sometimes be helpful (i.e. lacing the boot so its tighter right over your instep), but I've found this to be mostly another non-solution up there with "wear 3 pairs of socks".

My feet are just slightly different sizes to be annoying. Most recent pair of work boots is 11W, left heel slips. I've had great results with a double overhand knot where the ankle meets upper and up to the second to last eyelet. Better than insoles, anyway, for me.

Looked for an infographic I'd seen years ago, how to lace for different feet. Can't find it exactly but looks like surgeons knot is what it is called? I wear 8" boots, so irritating to get them off end of day.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If possible, people who have recurring foot pain or blisters despite trying multiple things might benefit from seeing a podiatrist if only to be told what Superfeet will help the best. I tried a different type of them this year to save a few bucks but had to go back to the green after getting painful calluses where I have bunions.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Superfeet or any other orthotics can usually be purchased on your FSA or HSA account just FYI.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Person Dyslexic posted:

I would recommend trying different lacing techniques as well, and being mindful of where you keep your laces tight on the boot and where you keep them loose.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It's called a surgeons knot, indeed, and it will do a better job of preventing tightness in one part of your lacing from moving/slipping into another area. For example, if you X-lace from your toe to the top (and there are no locks), you'll get different tightness zones going uphill and downhill. To prevent toe box tightening going uphill, tie the surgeons at the top of the foot, at the joint, so that area is effectively isolated from the rest of the lacing.

You should be ready to change lacing with the appearance of issues. I forgot my heel lifts once last year and had a resulting bump on top of my foot that took 6mo(?) to go away. I laced past that spot on most hikes.

I just got some new booties and need to tie the surgeons with an overhand on the next eyes to keep that area tight enough, but I'm also going to come down from the upper for the final tie (to prevent pinching at the top.

Pads, lifts, insoles can all help, but every time you add those you reduce space for your foot and risk having other areas be too tight. Choices are then to change lacing to avoid over-compression in those spots, or drop the extra padding and change lacing to add tightness elsewhere.

Or just tape and let your foot slide a bit.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
For heel slip, use this technique:

https://www.verywellfit.com/lace-your-shoes-to-fit-right-3436348

I use it for my climbing shoes, also. Helps tons.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

My hand-me-down bag is falling apart, and I’m curious if I could get some advice on getting a pack. Mostly I’ll be doing 1-2 night stays in state parks, trying to use their backpacking sites only though. I’m up in MN, but plan to only overnight it spring through fall. I might do some snowshoeing in the winter and definitely some day hikes throughout the year.

So any idea what an ideal size would be? Could I comfortably handle both day trips and overnights with one pack? Could you make any specific recommendations?

Here’s a couple I’m curious about :
- https://www.rei.com/product/150947
- https://www.rei.com/product/111206
- https://www.rei.com/product/111281

Also, here’s a pic from my latest trip:

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Thank you all for the info!

I'm going to look into the superfeet green and see if I can get my insurance to cover them.

I tried tying the laces tighter last night on a short hike and that prevented the slippage but made the top of the foot a bit too tight, so I'm going to try the advice Morbus gave about adding volume from the top as well. I may just be freaking out over nothing too, as these shoes are still brand spanking new and haven't worn in at all yet; It's quite possible that once they get used to my step and bend more easily the slip will go away as well.

remote control carnivore posted:

For heel slip, use this technique:

https://www.verywellfit.com/lace-your-shoes-to-fit-right-3436348

I use it for my climbing shoes, also. Helps tons.

I'll give this a shot too! My laces are pretty annoying because they're loops all the way to the top EXCEPT for the very top ones, which are metal clasps. Not sure if that is going to make this tying method untenable but it's worth a shot...the dang shoes are super comfortable EVERYWHERE except for the slip.

I'll try a few different methods out this weekend and bring my nearly-dead old shoes with me in case the new ones get too uncomfortable.

Person Dyslexic fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 30, 2019