Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Cat Hatter posted:

I jokingly put a p-touch label on my differential cover with no prep about ten years ago and it's still attached and legible. What are you intending to do with these labels that you need to greatly exceed that performance?

My main interest is the heat shrink capabilities. I see 100ft packs of printable 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2” 3:1 cartridges for like $15 and that sounds really nice for classing up wiring projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

eddiewalker posted:

My main interest is the heat shrink capabilities. I see 100ft packs of printable 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2” 3:1 cartridges for like $15 and that sounds really nice for classing up wiring projects.

I spec heat shrink labels on all the equipment I use. They are glorious.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

eddiewalker posted:

This guy figured out how to get the labels working on an inexpensive label maker (essentially you tape over some of the holes in the cartridge to tell it to not mirror the text and to allow it to work in that machine):
https://hackaday.com/2019/08/14/print-your-own-heat-shrink-labels-for-factory-chic-wire-naming/

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

eddiewalker posted:

Cartridge link?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

sharkytm posted:

Cartridge link?

Just looking at random searches for generic “Dymo heat shrink.”

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123351652084

Now in the daytime light I see that most of the ads are for 5x5’ cartridges totaling 25 feet, not 5x25’ but that’d still last me a while.

That hackaday link seemed really promising, though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
They are for P-touch tho, is it really the same for Dymo?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Nah, the Brother ones in that hackaday are like this:

quote:

US $2.96 26% Off | 1PCS HSe heat shrink tape cartridge HSe-211~ 5.8mmx1.5m HSe tape for cabel mark
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/52nhWBbE

I’ve already got a $20 printer that might take those if I cover the same holes that guy did. Seems like nothing wider than 1/4” heatshrink would fit in my tiny printer, but for $3 I’ll take a stab.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

eddiewalker posted:

Just looking at random searches for generic “Dymo heat shrink.”

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123351652084

Now in the daytime light I see that most of the ads are for 5x5’ cartridges totaling 25 feet, not 5x25’ but that’d still last me a while.

That hackaday link seemed really promising, though.

Ah, ok. I thought there might be longer cartidges available. 5' is the standard.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I took thread advice and bought a (used) Wera ratchet with 43 bits set off eBay. Just got it and it seems pretty sturdy and pretty cool. Actually kind of looking forward to installing parts to see how they feel.

Anyone ever tried using the warranty on something with Wera? I don't think I'll need it but it would be nice to know.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
yeah I find unless it’s in direct sunlight or getting abrasions constantly, the P-touch stuff lasts just fine... they make a pretty killer steel embosser setup but I doubt the adhesive is that different

e: what page is this again? oops

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

12 piece metric Gearwrench set for $39? If you don't have one already, this is a screaming buy on a necessary set of tools.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

meatpimp posted:

12 piece metric Gearwrench set for $39? If you don't have one already, this is a screaming buy on a necessary set of tools.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

It's $92.

Besides, they aren't the reversible ones, which I vastly prefer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Raluek posted:

It's $92.

Besides, they aren't the reversible ones, which I vastly prefer.

drat, must have just changed. It's been $39 for a couple days:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
60 now which is still a good price.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone cares, I asked about chainsaw stuff a while ago. I'm going to end up buying the Greenworks Pro 80V chainsaw. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere electric has the might, just lacks the duration. I live on 2/3 of an acre, about half of it heavy woods. I won't need hours of use at a time. The Greenworks seems identically built to the Kobalt, but costs less. It seems everyone drifts to 80V systems in the end or jumps to gas. Again, based on what I read, the entry level gas stuff isn't as good as the high end electric. If you look at the post date, I've been looking for 20 days now, hopefully this can help others narrow down the HUGE market that I had to sift through.

And the M18 is a better battery/tool system than Greenworks or Kobalt, but I already have a huge Dewalt toolset, so it's irrelevant for me.

Thanks everyone for the input. I actually started here and you all pointed me in the right direction.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Does anyone have experience with industrial label makers like Dymo?

I’ve only ever used cheap P-Touch stuff, but it just came to my attention that knockoff Dymo printable heatshrink label cassettes aren’t that expensive.

I can’t really figure out the difference between the 5200 and the 4000 other than “heat transfer” versus “pressure transfer” and I don’t know if that matters at home. The 6000 is definitely overkill for me.

I also don’t know what vinyl and nylon label tape are. Is vinyl like printable electrical tape?

Panduit label pages
https://www.panduit.com/en/products/signs-labels-identification/labels-markers-printers/desktop-printer-labels/s100x225yaj.html
You can print these in your laser/inkjet with free templates. There are tons of sizes.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bogatyr posted:

Panduit label pages
https://www.panduit.com/en/products/signs-labels-identification/labels-markers-printers/desktop-printer-labels/s100x225yaj.html
You can print these in your laser/inkjet with free templates. There are tons of sizes.

I’ve used thousands of these. They work ok in permanent install, but they turn into a gooey mess on things that go outdoors or get handled a bunch.

Adhesive-free heatshrink is really what I’m after.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Somehow I had no idea this tool existed.

It's a gauge to measure lug pattern by the wheel or stud. 9 bux on AMZ.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have no need for that but it's cool.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress me, I might have to buy that just because.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I realize that's easy to do with calipers and a little math, but ordered anyways.

Neat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, it's neat, but how often do you need to work on a vehicle where you aren't able to just look up what bolt pattern it is?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah or use a 3 dollar straight edge

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah or use a 3 dollar straight edge

psh, just eyeball it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, it's neat, but how often do you need to work on a vehicle where you aren't able to just look up what bolt pattern it is?

Personally I've had a trailer that annoyed me cause there are at least 2 different 5 lug trailer hub spacings, and classic trucks with axle swaps.

Powershift posted:

psh, just eyeball it.

Well that's pretty much what you're doing with a straight edge.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
They're good for junkyard wheels too, I guess. 4x100 and 4x108 are pretty close.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Did I hallucinate this, or is there a Wera screwdriver with some kind of internal gearing such that, if you hold a ring on the screwdriver with your off hand and turn the screwdriver like normal, the bit will turn double-fast?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Safety Dance posted:

Did I hallucinate this, or is there a Wera screwdriver with some kind of internal gearing such that, if you hold a ring on the screwdriver with your off hand and turn the screwdriver like normal, the bit will turn double-fast?

Kobalt Double Drive

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Sears also sold a similar thing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
SpecTools in MA sells them.
https://spectools.com/shop/professional-overdriver-model-rgo-5412/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sharkytm posted:

They're good for junkyard wheels too, I guess. 4x100 and 4x108 are pretty close.

5x4 3/4 is 120.65, which is close enough that they're interchangable with 5x120 which BMWs and Benzes use, sometimes without wobble bolts if the offset is right.

M-pars work on every thing

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL motherfuckers ain't gonna BELIEVE what the princess auto surplus section has gotten themselves in to.

That's not a misprint, that's 3 fuckin 8-tracks

Ignore my junk in the trunk. This fuckin thing is 3 feet long and weighs 20lbs

Frequently asked questions:

Q: What do you need a wrench that big for
A: I've got big nuts

Q: what are you taking apart with that thing?
A: Anything i drat well please

Q: Can i borrow it?
A: no

I almost want to go back and get the 2", 2 1/4" and 2 3/8" shits as well. It's the last thing in the world i need right now, but if it ever comes up

e:

Louisville slugger for scale.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 30, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Looks like I'm going to the local Princess Auto tomorrow...

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
how much? They got a bunch of surplus International Harvester tools in too, but they were expensive.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Naughty.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
In tool news, Milwaukee is releasing long-neck versions of their Fuel ratchets. If they are anywhere near as long as the snap-on one I have, it makes a huge difference in accessibility.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ANy particular brands I should avoid in extension cords? Looking for the best quality + maximum length.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sgt Fox posted:

how much? They got a bunch of surplus International Harvester tools in too, but they were expensive.

30 bucks. Worth it just for the novelty, not to mention it's utility as a hammer, pry bar, and bonking stick.

It's just so weird to hold and touch. It is 99% just a regular wrench in every dimension, it's just 20 times the size. It makes you feel like you've shrunk.

It's just so unbelievably solid. even a pry bar this size has a little give.

I saw on the website they have a 2 1/2 inch and now i'm sad :(

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-1-2-in-combination-wrench/A-p8877441e

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

ANy particular brands I should avoid in extension cords? Looking for the best quality + maximum length.

The flexzilla cord I have is pretty skookum. I originally bought it so I'd have one to use that wasn't patched together bullshit, then the other people living in my house found it and proceeded to use it and abuse it for two years including it spending the last year and a half outside. Still works fine. I'd buy it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've had yellowjacket and woods branded ones, and while they're nice they don't survive well being used as block heater cords, the insulation on them cracked even though they're rated -50°C and -40°C respectively. They're nice otherwise.