Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Yea this immediately jumped out at me in the theater and took me right out of the movie for a few minutes. First I'm thinking "hmmm that's odd that Godzilla just swam right up on them like that" , but then two seconds later he and Ghidorah are just standing on the ice fighting and it makes zero sense how they could be doing that if the water is deep enough for Godzilla to have snuck up on them from below.

This I think is just a Kaiju trope that we have to live with. Pacific Rim 1, which went out of its way to show the physicality of the Jaegers and Kaiju, also had the same thing happen during the Tokyo battle. The ocean was shallow enough that the fight could occur above water but was equally deep enough for the Kaiju to move around freely underwater undetected.

The same thing happens in KOTM when Godzilla is powered up and rises next to the submarine and just stands there. In the middle of the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Yea this immediately jumped out at me in the theater and took me right out of the movie for a few minutes. First I'm thinking "hmmm that's odd that Godzilla just swam right up on them like that" , but then two seconds later he and Ghidorah are just standing on the ice fighting and it makes zero sense how they could be doing that if the water is deep enough for Godzilla to have snuck up on them from below.

This is a sacred right of all kaiju movies and you can shut your complaining mouth about it right now.

(love you Basebf)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ideally they’d just have Godzilla hover above water using his tail to stay afloat like crocodiles do

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Apparently the Atomic Breath looks worse in UHD/4k than the standard HD

Did they leave that stupid auto-dim feature or something?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Vinylshadow posted:

What is it with Legendary's Godzilla movies and terrible looking home releases?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Anyone got a screenshot of Ghidorahs heads when they first come out of the ice, revealing the big villain? It's one of the most dogshit things I've ever seen

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vinylshadow posted:

Often UHDs are darker than their blu ray counterparts, which I think is a reaction to how some of the earlier UHDs had digital effects that were badly exposed and became super obvious and distracting(see: the digital flame effects in Fury Road). Of course, context is everything and we're talking about the atomic breath of a gigantic lizard monster so in this case it's a bad decision but these kind of decisions are made more as general policy than on a case by case basis like they probably should be.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Climate change has produced exactly the kind of glacier/ice shelf topography to make Godzilla's approach plausible.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp, it’s here. For G’s 65th Anniversary, DeAgostini publishing in Japan is putting out a weekly “magazine” which will have parts in each issue that when completed will make a 1/87th scale R/C 1954 Godzilla (60cm tall, 90cm long). The catch is that they will spread this over 100 issues, so the series will finish at the very end of July 2020.

The premier issue contains the head, and is at a cheap introductory price of ¥490 (each issue after this seems to be roughly ¥1500) so casual collectors can have a neat display piece.

An idea of how big the finished figure will be:

Wish me luck. I’m going to try and get each issue as it is released. In the end the figure will end up costing roughly $1400 not including shipping each issue from Japan. The only R/C Shodai Godzilla that I can recall being released was in the late 1980s and it wasn’t as large as this beast. It’s now a super rare collectible.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

Oh GOD drat IT :mad:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it one of those cases where it looks better with HDR but crappy in a screenshot?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

General Kaiju question: Can anyone recommend a Kaiju film, tv series or anime or whatever where the humans explicitly do not have a means of evening the odds against the monsters? Pacific Rim you've got Jaegers, Eva has EVA units to fight Angels, Godzilla either fights for humans or the humans build some super tech like a freeze ray or a Mazer or a Super X. I want to know if there's any franchise out there that treats Kaiju as being truly unstoppable for humans. Something like the first couple of Attack on Titan episodes before Eren discovers he can transform into a Titan; just a line of increasingly desperate plans that continue to fail because humanity is so far out of its element.

Matango.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Welp, it’s here. For G’s 65th Anniversary, DeAgostini publishing in Japan is putting out a weekly “magazine” which will have parts in each issue that when completed will make a 1/87th scale R/C 1954 Godzilla (60cm tall, 90cm long). The catch is that they will spread this over 100 issues, so the series will finish at the very end of July 2020.

The premier issue contains the head, and is at a cheap introductory price of ¥490 (each issue after this seems to be roughly ¥1500) so casual collectors can have a neat display piece.

An idea of how big the finished figure will be:

Wish me luck. I’m going to try and get each issue as it is released. In the end the figure will end up costing roughly $1400 not including shipping each issue from Japan. The only R/C Shodai Godzilla that I can recall being released was in the late 1980s and it wasn’t as large as this beast. It’s now a super rare collectible.

Post updates as each part and magazine come in!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Post updates as each part and magazine come in!

Will do! I have the 2nd and 3rd issues pre-ordered (the ones after that aren't up for that yet). I know the next issue has some little parts and the skin of one of the feet. It looks like most of the skin won't be released until the last wave. I'm not going to bother to put anything together until next year. The problem with that unfortunately is that these goddamn things are huge and 100 of them will take up an absolute poo poo-ton of space.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Goonspeed :awesome:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This I think is just a Kaiju trope that we have to live with. Pacific Rim 1, which went out of its way to show the physicality of the Jaegers and Kaiju, also had the same thing happen during the Tokyo battle. The ocean was shallow enough that the fight could occur above water but was equally deep enough for the Kaiju to move around freely underwater undetected.

Heh, I always laughed at that. Also how they kept throwing each other with the result being a soft landing in water deep enough to cushion the fall but shallow enough for them to immediately stand up and resume the fight.

quote:

The same thing happens in KOTM when Godzilla is powered up and rises next to the submarine and just stands there. In the middle of the ocean.

Yeah, that one was bad and people were noticing it even before the movie came out. For the record, I would have easily forgiven these things if they got the other stuff right. Hell, I loved Skull Island despite a bunch of goofy poo poo, my favorite being how a building-sized ape can keep silently sneaking up on people.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The teleportation tunnels are super egregious because

A) There’s no reason why the movie couldn’t just take place over the course of a week, or even a month.

B) It’s a misuse of ‘hollow earth’ concept - which is just the popular fantasy of a subterranean ecosystem with its own atmosphere, etc.

What we get in the film is a much lamer ‘spongey earth’ which is, at best, a botched reference to The Phantom Menace.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

B) It’s a misuse of ‘hollow earth’ concept - which is just the popular fantasy of a subterranean ecosystem with its own atmosphere, etc.

There are various versions of hollow earth. It can't be misused by a movie for not doing the exact hollow earth you have in mind.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

What we get in the film is a much lamer ‘spongey earth’ which is, at best, a botched reference to The Phantom Menace.
Clearly a reference to Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

There are various versions of hollow earth. It can't be misused by a movie for not doing the exact hollow earth you have in mind.

It can be cool, like a sun in the middle of the earth and gravity is backwards and poo poo, or it can be stupid, like tunnels

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The fastest way to get to the Naboo 'tis going through... theee plaaaaanet core. Now... go!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watched Ghidorah The Three-Headed Monster

The "fights" between the Kaiju were so full of narm that it wrapped back around to being charming

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

It can be cool, like a sun in the middle of the earth and gravity is backwards and poo poo, or it can be stupid, like tunnels

Right: in Kong they have a massive underground cavern populated by gigantic bipedal lizard-snake things, and this particular mysterious island features the only known entrance/exit.

[Importantly, this was just the origin of one particular species. Godzilla, Kong and the MUTOs didn’t come from the hollow earth. They came from the depths of the ocean, an uncharted island, and prehistory (respectively). The MUTOs were effectively fossilized.]

In this film, it’s a network of water-based teleportation devices for no clear reason.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vinylshadow posted:

Watched Ghidorah The Three-Headed Monster

The "fights" between the Kaiju were so full of narm that it wrapped back around to being charming

Monster Zero is definitely the superior film for a lot of reasons but I still love the first Ghidorah film.

Tsuburaya over did it with the puppets but after how exhausting Godzilla VS Mothra must have been, putting out another film with EVEN MORE poo poo couldn't have been easy. Ghidorah and VS Mothra both landed in the same year, which only rarely ever produces anything good, so the fact that Ghidorah is pretty decent all things considered is a minor miracle

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Right: in Kong they have a massive underground cavern populated by gigantic bipedal lizard-snake things, and this particular mysterious island features the only known entrance/exit.

[Importantly, this was just the origin of one particular species. Godzilla, Kong and the MUTOs didn’t come from the hollow earth. They came from the depths of the ocean, an uncharted island, and prehistory (respectively). The MUTOs were effectively fossilized.]

In this film, it’s a network of water-based teleportation devices for no clear reason.

The reason is because Megalon.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My 8-year old just informed me that if I don't get this for him he won't help me clean the house. And he'll kill me. Wish me luck.

Lol, he's reading this over my shoulder and he says, "So are you going to get it?"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

Both of those are stupid.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My 8-year old just informed me that if I don't get this for him he won't help me clean the house. And he'll kill me. Wish me luck.

Lol, he's reading this over my shoulder and he says, "So are you going to get it?"
well are you???!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You better not deprive your kid of this rad movie

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do like how wolf dad uses bad science to explain alpha social dynamics in nature, and yet despite the alpha theory being discredited, it actually does make a level of sense for disparate Kaiju given that their pack mentality is artificial and not natural.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's a part of the movie that I glare at very loudly but don't actually complain about

Because some how, in some hosed up way, they actually are right, just in the dumbest way possible.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Once news of the events in KOTM spread some cult will form demanding Kaiju democracy and demanding Godzilla to give up the crown.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So,

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1167576078254317569

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1167576454323998720

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

You better not deprive your kid of this rad movie

We got the movie first day. It's that goofy 100 issue 65th anniversary RC Godzilla/magazine that he wants. Hell, he's got to be one of the youngest people to see Shin in the theater in the U.S., he was six then.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sorry 😐

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Was kinda luke warm on Godzilla 2014 outside of the end bit with the nuclear breath, but just watched King of The Monsters the other day, then Skull Island tonight and I'm super mad at myself for not going to see these on the big screen. Both of these ruled and I'm super hyped for Godzilla vs Kong now. I even liked the human parts of KOTM, it was just the right amount of dumb saturday morning cartoon gi-joe poo poo for me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah KOTM is really a Showa era G film made in the USA with a big rear end budget.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/gargantucast/status/1169953215468769280

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Likewise, Serizawa’s supercharging of Godzilla occurs immediately after he gives White Dad the “fortune cookie” pep talk. Then we get the dual loaded images of the submarine bursting out of the water, and the invigorated Godzilla shooting his laser straight up into the air as a display of pure power. After that, White Dad is really hyped about using Godzilla to attack Ghidorah, like nobody else thought of just shooting Ghidorah with rockets before.
I find it difficult to see that scene as anything other than Serizawa transforming into a Godzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Eye636/status/1170044793549918208?s=20